Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
A quick 13 yesterday, really quite blowy, 12 and a bit this morning round the Milton Estate etc. Overdressed, too hot but nice anyway. One Greater Spotted Woodpecker.,, dont see many of them, a Buzzard and a haul of LBJs (little brown jobs as dad used to say)..aka wrens, robins, tits, sparrows etc etc..all flitting around in bushes and hedges...oh and snowdrops, lots of them.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My first ride today on the road bike since November. The missus and I did a gentle loop to Wallingford, Dorchester on Thames, Culham, Didcot and back, stopped for lunch at Wallingford where the alert amongst may have seen it on Midsommer Murders this week, it's ironic that they used this place for a cycle themed TV show, Wallingford has the worst cycle routes/lanes of anywhere I have ever ridden and awful road surfaces in and out of the town.

The roads were wet, it was a grey windy day but warm and it was nice to be out on number one bike, I will be very glad when spring is here.

IMG_2782.JPG

Down to towards Wallingford
IMG_2783.JPG

Heading way from the rain.
IMG_2784.JPG

Culham Bridge
IMG_2786.JPG

Culham Lock

IMG_2787.JPG

Lockeepers Cottage
IMG_2788.JPG

In memory of my Father in Law
IMG_2792.JPG

Didcot Towers

IMG_2795.JPG

A bit closer,, I'll be glad when these eyesore are demolished.

Dorchester loop.jpg

Mrs M

Guru
Out for a wee spin locally as Mr M away golfing.
Don't know the mileage, was out for about an hour, just cruisin along :bicycle: really enjoyed it.
Not too chilly and no wind or rain (was snowing yesterday).
Cut through the park and stopped to watch the ladies football game (sorry no pics :laugh:). Some good players.
Just trying to get more time out on the Pashley to fitten me up. She's heavy and takes more effort so a good workout every ride. :smile:

Dark46

Veteran
Today turns out to be my 50th ride with the club!

A good turnout with 22 people turning up across the 3 groups. The club this year seems to be going well with regular turnout of more than 20. But strange that 8 of the riders where also Eastgate riders on a Wednesday night. The odd one out being @Donger!

The chilled group set out with 9 people which was the biggest group in the club today. The mood was good from the off and everyone was looking ahead to the Forest of Dean with the lack of rain in the forecast.

Today's ride was a ride I was looking forward too as I've not been up Glasshouse Hill before. Now I'm looking forward to doing May Hill, in the summer. The ride for today was set up by @Frazzle, so cheers for that.

Basically the ride went very well and we found a great watering hole the Malswick House on the Newent Highledon road, which had great coffee and Flapjack. Cheers to @Donger for the coffee. See pic

So 41 miles done today and the bike is filthy yet again. Downside of going out for a cycle ride if there is one! Bike always looks great after a decent clean.

Attachments

• IMG_20160131_115950.jpg
    IMG_20160131_115950.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20160131_112217.jpg
    IMG_20160131_112217.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 40
I was (we all were) lulled into a false belief that the weather was not as bad as previously forecast. This was the club run

Weather was miserable light rain for all the outward half. It was cold, and by most of the outward journey we had lost feeling in fingers and body temperature was starting to cool
We did at least have a hill, and pushed ourselves up it to generate some warmth. Stopped at a garden centre in Beaconsfield, and they had no soup on, never mind.

There was much wringing out of gloves etc and wiping dirt off faces.
Suitably refreshed we set forth, the rain had abated.
The route now took us through some country lanes with much mud and debris
The inevitable happend and I was the first to puncture , later followed by two other riders.
(at least it happened when not raining, and the temp had risen for a few degrees)

We all felt that we had earnt some credit for our toughness (or foolhardiness) in getting out

50.3 miles at a meagre 14.5 mph
1371 feet climbed
Bike still to be cleaned - will do tomorrow AM

https://www.strava.com/activities/482759483/

Last edited:

Jimidh

Veteran
I done by bit this morning by missing out on my club run and took my friend out on his first road road bike spin.

As it was still icy and snowy at home we chucked the bikes on the top of my car and headed out to East Lothian for a wee 30 mile loop down to North Berwick.

Good wind behind us in the way down and Gary got a bit too confident in his abilities but I knew better. Last 10 miles were a bit of a struggles as his legs died going into the wind and his backside started to suffer with the new saddle.

Good few hours out and one knackered mate!!

13 rider

Guru
Got up this morning for 0930 start to meet mates and it was :rain:persistantly . Rang mates and they both bailed neither could make afternoon due to there sons football .So hung around all morning itching to go .Had dinner and rain had stopped . So out with the bike plan was a fifty miler but wasn't sure I'd have time as the roadie has poor lights . So a loop planned knowing I can cut it short .Set off on my favourite route to start with Newtown Linford out to St Bernard's Abbey ,Belton ,Diseworth ,Long Whatton and out to Kegworth .Onto Kingston ,West Leake ,East Leake ,Wysall ,Willoughby on the Wolds .this is where I started to encountered the headwind . Light was beginning to fade so trying the speed up turned down Pawdy lane a lovely long steady descent normally 25 to 30 mph today into the headwind 16 mph putting in a big effort !! .Quorn ,Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Cropston and Home 52.4 miles done at 15.2 mph with 1697 feet of climbing got home just as the light was properly going .The last 10 miles were a real struggle into the wind which had picked up during the ride .Just filled in my cycle log and I've done 399.88 miles in Jan my cycling ocd might make me ride tonight to get past 400 for the month.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A steady 12 miles in the rain this morning, then 5 miles with the kids after lunch when the rain had stopped. Their first ride this year, and my boy is about grown out of the MX-24. I picked up a Specialized Hardrock Sport of eBay of few months back so once I've finished fettling that he'll be big enough. Before I know it he'll be wanting to borrow my bikes...

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Got up this morning for 0930 start to meet mates and it was :rain:persistantly . Rang mates and they both bailed neither could make afternoon due to there sons football .So hung around all morning itching to go .Had dinner and rain had stopped . So out with the bike plan was a fifty miler but wasn't sure I'd have time as the roadie has poor lights . So a loop planned knowing I can cut it short .Set off on my favourite route to start with Newtown Linford out to St Bernard's Abbey ,Belton ,Diseworth ,Long Whatton and out to Kegworth .Onto Kingston ,West Leake ,East Leake ,Wysall ,Willoughby on the Wolds .this is where I started to encountered the headwind . Light was beginning to fade so trying the speed up turned down Pawdy lane a lovely long steady descent normally 25 to 30 mph today into the headwind 16 mph putting in a big effort !! .Quorn ,Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Cropston and Home 52.4 miles done at 15.2 mph with 1697 feet of climbing got home just as the light was properly going .The last 10 miles were a real struggle into the wind which had picked up during the ride .Just filled in my cycle log and I've done 399.88 miles in Jan my cycling ocd might make me ride tonight to get past 400 for the month.

Done a fair bit of that route a few years ago with a mate of mine from Long Whatton. It really is a great cycling area.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was at work this morning and had the joys of ikea so i have got my pain cave set up and did a 30 min session on the turbo , i enjoyed it as i had the tablet on a youtube turbo video , well apart from the fact the narking wifi signal is poop where i had the bike .

Top Bottom