Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Conflicting weather forecasts last night, so i just set the alarm clock and decided to look out of the window this morning. ;)
Looked alright so got layered up and took the road bike out. It wasn't too bad early on, but it was to get worse...

Out to Scholes, then Barwick and on to Aberford. I guessed that the "brisk breeze" was assisting my progress, but there didn't seem to be too much movement in the trees so it couldn't be that bad could it?
Past Lotherton Hall, towards Sherburn and then left up to Saxton. All good so far, decent average speed, legs feeling Ok (first ride since last weekend) and even the sun came out for a bit.
On to Barkston Ash, then the long straight to Church Fenton, where just before the railway bridge I hit a dip in the road (partially collapsed prior repair? Don't know as I was doing 20-ish and didn't see anything, suggesting that it wasn't a pothole...) anyhow, it was enough to bounce me up and get both feet off the pedals, albeit only for a second. One pedal swung round and cracked into my shin, while fortunately I didn't fall off and managed to bring things to a controlled stop. Perhaps I do need to try clipless...:dry:
Anyhow, set off again and up past the airport, where the change of direction from east to northwards turned the tail wind into a slightly annoying crosswind. Still pushing on though, but mindful of the strength of the 'breeze' decided to carry on through Ulleskelf rather than turning east again.
Over the railway line there and the road swings round to face west and straight into the wind. I was dropping down the gears now just to keep forward momentum up and it seemed to be getting colder by the minute.
By the time I reached the A162 I'd gone from maintaining high teens / low 20's mph to single figures on the bike computer.:bicycle:
Anyhow, right here and down the hill before taking the left to Stutton.
I decided to take Fanny Lane from the opposite direction and found it quite challenging. It's normally an easy ride but I really had to grind it out up there today.
Anyhow, back down to the cross roads, then up the hill and the climb up to the bridge over the A64, where I stopped for an energy bar and a photo:
IMG_20160130_093612457_2.jpg

The bike is at such a relaxed angle as the wind kept blowing it over if it was any more upright - the glove is actually velcro'd to the crossbar to stop it blowing away. And the wind was cold enough to make your eyes water. It was blooming freezing. So cold in fact that I couldn't stay there while I messaged Mrs ND to let her know I was OK, but had to push the bike up to the end of the bridge and take shelter from the wind by some trees.
Mrs ND kindly messaged back advising it was snowing at home...well that was something to look forward to!:cold:
Back on the bike and up Garnet Lane, across the Tadcaster road and on towards Bramham, where the farmer had ripped out and replanted the hedges, robbing me of a bit of much needed shelter. Right turn at the top of the village and I tackled the Windmill downhill and hit a new top speed of 41.9mph :whistle: on the way to Clifford, then looped back down into Bramham again, intending to tackled Town Hill, only to find the road closed! So straight on and up the hill to Paradise Way for the slog out to Bramham Crossroads with the wind alternating between from the side and in my face.
The run from there down to Aberford was similarly wind affected and then a right back on to Barwick with the wind in my face making the ride up Cattle Lane a slow and chilly slog. Down the hill and over Cock Beck, then the climb into Barwick. From there to Scholes was again on an exposed road with the wind in my face, so more slow going and the on descent down Leeds Road from Scholes the wind was so bad I had to pedal downhill to keep moving at a decent speed.
Looped round to home and in without encountering the snow Mrs ND had warned me of (turns out it was just a few flurries!)

Then near disaster - mapmyride wouldn't connect to the wi-fi and refused to upload the ride, which then vanished from the screen and it looked like I'd lost it. Eventually made it work (and I still have no idea what I did) so here are the numbers:

33.8 miles (54.4km) in 2hrs 26m at an average of 13.8mph with 1428ft climbed.
My average speed up to Ulleskelf (roughly half way) was knocking on for 17mph, so you can see the impact the headwind had.

All good though (now I've warmed up). Another entry in the Half Century Challenge and I'm really pleased with the new Continental Ultra Gatorskin tyres I fitted this week.
Oh, and I've just signed up for the Wiggle Vale Vélo on April 2nd...:okay:

30012016.jpg

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
It's almost the end of the month and I hadn't done my ride for the metric century challenge yet so today looked like my best chance.

Following my aborted ride earlier in the month I still wanted to get to Ludlow so that was the target for today. Setting out was the same route as last time as far as Folly Bank but I took the direct route to Cardington this time.

From there I dropped down the hill to Wall under Heywood and headed along the lanes and over Wenlock Edge to Westhope. One of the things that prompted me to do the metric rather than imperial challenge this year is that there is too much pressure to just get the miles in with the imperial challenge. Doing a shorter ride I felt able to explore a bit so turned off at Westhope and headed via Lower Dinchope and Norton to Onibury. This was a good choice as a short way along this road I became aware of a large bird flying alongside me which turned out to be a Red Kite lazily riding the breeze:hyper:. I stopped to look and there was a second one circling a short distance away. My attempt to get a photo didn't really work as the phone decided to play up :dry: so by the time I did get a pic you couldn't tell what bird it was.

I have ridden this road before but in the opposite direction and against a strong wind so I hadn't really appreciated how nice this little valley is. I shall have to come this way again in the summer.

At Onibury the road I used is pretty flat and follows the railway line for a mile or so. Didn't see any trains today though.:sad:

I passed the Ludlow Food Centre then took to the bridleway through the Oakly Park estate and into Ludlow itself where I had a short break and prepared for the next leg. It was while leaving the town I got the text from Gav telling me about his mishap. A little job for me to do there.

Out of the town now I spotted another rider ahead which stirred the competitive spirit and I gave chase. It took a little while to reel him in but I did eventually. We ended up chatting for the next three or four miles until our routes split and I headed for my second climb of the day over Wenlock Edge, this time on the road past Wilderhope Manor and down into Longville (the reverse of the way I came on my December century),

I was flagging a bit on this climb and the cold wind was picking up quite a bit by now. Good when it was behind me but I knew I'd be riding against it later on.

I added a detour towards Harley to make sure of the mileage but turning at the edge of the village the wind was now in my face and didn't I know it. Some of the gusts felt like I'd jammed the brakes on and there were sections where I was having to pedal hard to make just 8mph downhill :wacko:.

I made it home but it's finished up as one of the hardest metric centuries I've done and I was quite glad I wasn't aiming for the imperial ton today.:heat:

67.35 miles at a relatively pedestrian 11.5 mph average. I might do a flatter route for the next one if it's still this windy.

View attachment 117407
Before sunrise at Condover. Bert Butler the butcher is already open and has a few customers.

View attachment 117408
Pitchford Hall. A pretty building but has been on the "at risk" register for historic buildings for the last few years.

View attachment 117409
I've made it to Cardington without incident today.:wahhey:

View attachment 117410
At Onibury. I had to do a double take - the old post office/village store is now a pub. Might be worth investigating.

View attachment 117411
No trains at the moment. Our resident rail enthusiasts may be interested that the Shrewsbury - Ludlow main line still uses GWR style lower quadrant signals.

View attachment 117412
Anyone have an Islabike for their children? This is where final assembly was done.

View attachment 117413
Ludlow town square.

View attachment 117414
Much later in the ride now - oh look, a ford. Not sure about riding this after what happened last time - I used the bridge.

View attachment 117415
The last five miles were brutal against the wind and the weather has yet more tricks to play - I only got another mile before that shower hit. :rain:

I've visited the Apple Tree a couple of times, nothing to write home about really. Feels more like a small cafe than a pub

Osprey

Guru
A flat linear ride today heading off the Gower Peninsula, picking up the Clyne Valley cycle path at Gowerton that meanders 7miles through the wood lined valley before emerging at the centre of the crescent of Swansea Bay. Following the promenade path skirting Swansea centre out over the river Tawe and up Fabian way. When the odometer clicked over 16 miles it was time to retrace my route diverting throught Swansea marina for a photo stop. Picking up the promenade cycle to the south of the marina, cycling into the face of the 25 mph wind and sand strewn path. Delicately picking my way through the wet sand, I had a comic slow speed off as my 25c tyres dug in the sand, much to the delight of 2 mtbers following behind. Needless to say there was a bit of banter about 'whos faster now then'. Otherwise an uneventfull ride, 32 miles in all, with the last five miles directly exposed to the estuary wind.

IMG_20160130_144500.jpg

IMG_20160130_145408.jpg

Swansea Promenade somewhere under that sand!

Attachments

• IMG_20160130_145049.jpg
    IMG_20160130_145049.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20160130_144625.jpg
    IMG_20160130_144625.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 51

Diggs

Veteran
Yes yes yes!!!! :hyper:
Manflu has finally abated and I've stopped suffering (In silence obvs, I'm a man - just ask Mrs D) So the Fitbit silent alarm went off at 7:30, I crept downstairs, pausing only to check the air had held in the tyre since sorting the flat last night (phew!) and going into the kitchen to switch on 6 Music
The soothing voice of Mary Anne Hobbs on the radio whilst I make coffee, leaving one on Mrs D's bedside cabinet.
Up to the LBS for 9:00 and a blustery ride to test the lungs out.
From 'ricay to Blackmore, looping around to Margaretting and back to the shop for a chat and a hot drink.
It's been a few weeks and so lovely to get out again.

yj1.jpg

yj2.jpg

yj4.jpg

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Well that was a bit interesting!

The weather was much better than forecast, with lovely sunshine and a light breeze from the West, so nipped out for a shortish ride this morning.

Heavy overnight rain meant that I knew the lanes would be full of water and so I remembered to don the waterproof overshoes for a change.

Took the cycle lanes up to Harlescott and then out to Uffington, passing the pub that I enjoyed a couple of pints at with @Rickshaw Phil last night, before the climb up to Upton Magna and East Haughmond, where the LBS group from Stan Jones' cruised past me on the climb, with friendly hello's though :okay:

I then had the nice downhill mile to Somerwood and Rodington Heath, before taking the very flooded minor road back up to the bottom end of Upton Magna. Managed to free wheel through the floods and avoid wet feet this time :smile:

Just after leaving Upton Magna I was caught and passed by a chap who, on the bridge over the A5, was looking at the view instead of the road and weaved into the middle of the road just as an Audi tried to pass him. Very close to being collected on the bonnet of the Audi :wacko:

From Berwick Wharf I took the rat run to Atcham and then crossed the bridge over the flooded River Severn, before climbing up and over the lumpy section to the A458 and then began the climb up the other side.

About half way up the climb I shifted down into 1st gear and there was a clang and then the realisation I was now back in 9th gear in mid range?:eek: Tried shifting the gears and it all felt wrong and nothing was shifting, so I stopped and looked down to find the gear cable had snapped at the junction with the shifter :eek::cursing::cursing:

I was about 3 miles from home and walked up the remainder of the hill, before trying to call @Rickshaw Phil 's brother to come and rescue me with his bike rack. Phil was out on a ride himself. Tried a few times and there was no answer and so I had 2 choices, walk the 3 miles or limp along in the single gear I was stuck in. Took the latter decision and it was ok other than a couple of climbs that almost necessitated walking and having to start off in the queue of traffic at the roadworks in 9th mid range!

To finish things it rained for the last few hundred metres of the ride and whilst I was putting the bike in the shed :stop:

21.1 miles at over 12 mph avg until the last 3 miles of limping along!

The offending cable
View attachment 117381
Chapeau! to you Sir:notworthy::bravo:.

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Well after the last debacle of getting disorientated, after being dumped at the end of a cycle/ walking route, on to a 1960's housing estate, It was decided to follow the initial route planned this time out and ignore interesting looking new disused railway paths. Oh what a glorious ride in the sunshine on the quiet back roads of NE Derbyshire, even the climbs were rewarding, but niggling away in the dark recess of the mind, was that, payment was to be collected at the turn for home point, and at Church Warsop where we turned and headed due West, BANG !!!! Wtf, I know and appreciate that we would pay for the wind assist, but this was ridiculous, and knowing there is 20+ mile of this to home. ( if we head west from home to start a ride it will turn into a climbing slog after 2 miles and last all day ) With promises of food and tea at Pleasley for my riding buddy, we battled on. The promise of food etc successfully delivered, it was into the last 10 miles of the wind tunnel and home and the happy welcome of home of you said you was only going to be X amount of time and you've been gone X amount of time longer than you should have been, now as some of you good people may remember The Last of The Summer Wine on tv. I was either meeting a Derbyshire version of Marina ( my other half's suspicion ) or I just enjoy riding my bike and before anyone suggested taking said partner along on the ride, tried that already and that sulk has been added to this sulk, hmmmm maybe I'll go out my bike again today ;-)

Last edited:

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Well after the last debacle of getting disorientated after being dumped at the end of a cycle/ walking route, on to a 1960's housing estate, It was decided to follow the initial route planned this time out and ignore interesting looking new disused railway paths. Oh what a glorious ride in the sunshine on the quiet back roads of NE Derbyshire, even the climbs were rewarding, but niggling away in a dark recess of the mind, was that, payment was to be collected at the turn for home point, for this 16 mph average speed, and at Church Warsop where we turned and headed due West, BANG !!!! Wtf, I know and appreciate that we would pay for the wind assist, but this was ridiculous, and knowing there is 20+ mile of this to home ( if we head west from home to start a ride it will turn into a climbing slog after 2 miles and last all day ) with promises of food and tea at Pleasley for my riding buddy, we battled on. The promise of food etc successfully delivered, it was into the last 10 miles of the wind tunnel and home and the happy welcome of home of you said you was only going to be X amount of time and you've been gone X amount of time longer than you should have been, now as some of you good people may remember The Last of The Summer Wine on tv. I was either meeting a Derbyshire version of Marina ( my other half's suspicion ) or I just enjoy riding my bike and before anyone suggested taking said partner along on the ride, tried that already and that sulk has been added to this sulk, hmmmm maybe I'll go out my bike again today ;-)

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 53

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, was a few miles with my granddaughter along the riverbanks in Northampton as fer as the Grand Union canal to the west and the Skate Park to the east, where we had a mug of hot chocolate and a sit down for 15 minutes.

Faith cycling on bridge.jpg

Over the bridge..

Faith cycling-sml.jpg

And back under it.. (That's my old British Eagle holding up the railings :okay:)

Just under 5 miles ridden and then a 20 minute wander around the Shoe Museum in the town centre as we had some time left on the parking ticket .

https://www.strava.com/activities/481741346

:smile:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I did not intend to do a metric half centaury today, but the opportunity arose and I put in a turn around the block when I got back to take me over 50km.
I'm a bit disappointed with my Lake Winter boots (particularly after how much I paid for them), but I must admit it wasn't a true scientific test because I didn't come home and swap them over with my previous shoes and do a direct comparison. (There is also the possibility I may have had them done up too tight, so I'll continue and see how I feel.)
My internal SatNav let me down spectacularly when I went along a lane I hadn't explored before and ended up on the road I had traversed only twenty minutes before and didn't recognise the fact. :blush:
Still, I managed to enjoy myself on a grotty day and after witnessing the carnage of a vehicle taking out a couple of Fallow deer.
This at Framsden.

IMG_0053.JPG

Now off to the pub! :cheers:

Last edited:
Just a short one in the miserableness today. I went up to a Halfords, not to far from me, to have a look at the new Boardman range, there's quite an interesting mix this year, they didn't have a TT bike, or the new Pro Carbon, on display, but the Hybrid, Road Carbon and the CX bikes look quite nice.

https://www.strava.com/activities/482598646

The ride back over the Itchen bridge was 'interesting':eek:.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My fifth club ride of the month today, which was something of a record, and 304 miles done in a calendar month for the first time ever. After a quite hilly 42 miler, I could actually have fancied going out for another bike ride straight away. Instead, I went for a walk with Mrs Donger along the canal path.

Nine of us turned up on the Kingsway clubs's "chilled" ride today ... all except one (me) were also members of the Eastgate club, and a very nice bunch they were too. @Frazzle and @Dark46 came along as usual, and the chilled group seems to be taking off nicely now, with some people returning after several months away. I'm always pleased to do some roads I've never ridden before, so today was a good day, taking in Glasshouse Hill, the climb to Little London, and a third long but gradual climb between Longhope and Aston Ingham (in Herefordshire). Stopped for coffee and flapjacks at the Malswick pub outside Newent on the return, and the rain stayed away, making it a very pleasant ride. Even a malfunction in my front shifter couldn't spoil my mood today. This was how club rides should always be.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yes I don't bother stopping much for photos but can easily take, where were you based and which were your regular rides?

When I lived there I used to ride all over the place on my Dawes Kingpin, then later on a Gillott bike that my uncle built for me, I lived near Penton Hook Marina but rode all over the place.

I'm not after anything specific, it's that I noticed that you and Cosmic don't post many if any photos and it would be quite nice to see some from you both, but I don't want it to be a drag or anything, if you see something worth photographing it would be great to see it.

Top Bottom