Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User19783

Yep, I live around here, but yet join your bike club,
no,
that's a lie, I did join a few years back, but never went out for any rides . Maybe when I retire,

Cumnor hill, is horrible, maybe worst than Kennington road,

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Very nice guy! To spend your holiday doing that shows uncommon dedication .... Chapeau.

Regarding the state of route 5, it's just a victim of the dreadful state of all roads around Abingdon (and much of Oxfordshire to be fair). What irks particularly is the state of the main Abingdon to Oxford road via Kennington which is heavily used by commuting cyclist. I'm surprised they are not on MTB's. :-(

I went along that on Wednesday, a shocking bit of road. Was that a group ride you were on?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yep, I live around here, but yet join your bike club,
no,
that's a lie, I did join a few years back, but never went out for any rides . Maybe when I retire,

Cumnor hill, is horrible, maybe worst than Kennington road,
You'd of course be most welcome ... Free chip butties every Thursday too and all for a fiver a year :-)

To be honest it would be easier to name the decent roads to ride on rather than the carp ones.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Simple plan - chuck the bike into the back of the car, take my daughter to her trampolining lesson and go for a nice ride in the couple of hours I had to fill. Pity the weather did not want to play ball. Expected the rain, put up with the wind, it is cycling after all ... but sleet ? That's not fair ! Cut short the ride by 30 mins when I lost feeling in my toes. The upside was that I found a nice loop around the edge of Northampton and felt good on the bike, even the short sharp climbs that are typical of the area. 56 mile Spires and Squires in a couple of weeks. I think I've got the legs but not expecting an impressive time.

Have to echo the comments about the state of the roads. Pretty appalling for most of the ride, could not take your eye of the road for a second.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
A better day than forecast so out with the bike . Up through Newtown Linford and left up Ulverscoft lane and left up Polly Botts lane my favourite climb Left at the crossroads and into the rear of Markfield and round the into Thornton down past the reservoir and back to Markfield .On the downhill to Newtown I caught up a tractor on a bend so had to slow up before he turned off. In Newtown I went right to Groby instead of the short way home . Into Groby and back into Anstey and Home 16.9 miles done in an hour and 3 mins .Got home with cold feet was a bit chilly than expected .First ride I can remember not seeing another rider where is everyone ?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
A better day than forecast so out with the bike . Up through Newtown Linford and left up Ulverscoft lane and left up Polly Botts lane my favourite climb Left at the crossroads and into the rear of Markfield and round the into Thornton down past the reservoir and back to Markfield .On the downhill to Newtown I caught up a tractor on a bend so had to slow up before he turned off. In Newtown I went right to Groby instead of the short way home . Into Groby and back into Anstey and Home 16.9 miles done in an hour and 3 mins .Got home with cold feet was a bit chilly than expected .First ride I can remember not seeing another rider where is everyone ?

I was out but went to Hallaton and back, saw one lad TTing and a group of four or five and that was it. Very quiet out

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Had a little ride out over to Witham today to visit mum for a cuppa , was a bit chilly in a keen North westerly but wrapped up warm & got on with it , stopped for a few mins near the river Blackwater & took photos of the river in flood after all the rain here in Essex yesterday , dropped in past paper mill lock little baddow on the way home & then out up north hill to Danbury & another quick picture at the duck pond & then home for lunch :smile:

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

rugby bloke

Veteran
Only saw one other cyclist, just strangely enough was the one time I came across any driver stupidity. So the cyclist was coming towards me with a car waiting to over take, so far so sensible. Then as I'm passing the other rider the car decides its a good time to over take ! It's almost as if their patience setting for cyclists was set to 1. Once it reached 2 then they shifted into idiot mode ...

Old jon

Guru
Did the ride I started out to do last Tuesday, and it turned out a bit shorter than I thought it would. My map measuring needs to improve, I suppose, although it is not that important.

The ride. Last Exit from Holbeck, followed by a weather assisted trundle through Hunslet and up the hill, which allows me to freewheel down past Woodlesford station. That is another hill I have yet to ride up. It can wait its turn. Through Swillington and along the same road to Garforth and the weather started weathering on me. As it does. Around the north of Garforth, taking the Tadcaster road out, but turn left at the Aberford turnoff. The main street here was the A 1 in my much younger days, and today I followed this road across the A 64 and on to Bramham, which was similarly blessed with the A 1 until at least 1965. All this last bit was into quite a strong breeze, so it was quite a relief to turn off for Thorner . . .

and my average end to some rides of Thorner, Skeltons and Red Hall lanes followed by racing a double decker bus down Boot Hill. Grand end to thirty and a bit miles.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Did the ride I started out to do last Tuesday, and it turned out a bit shorter than I thought it would. My map measuring needs to improve, I suppose, although it is not that important.

The ride. Last Exit from Holbeck, followed by a weather assisted trundle through Hunslet and up the hill, which allows me to freewheel down past Woodlesford station. That is another hill I have yet to ride up. It can wait its turn. Through Swillington and along the same road to Garforth and the weather started weathering on me. As it does. Around the north of Garforth, taking the Tadcaster road out, but turn left at the Aberford turnoff. The main street here was the A 1 in my much younger days, and today I followed this road across the A 64 and on to Bramham, which was similarly blessed with the A 1 until at least 1965. All this last bit was into quite a strong breeze, so it was quite a relief to turn off for Thorner . . .

and my average end to some rides of Thorner, Skeltons and Red Hall lanes followed by racing a double decker bus down Boot Hill. Grand end to thirty and a bit miles.

I am sure we have crossed paths?

Katherine

Guru
A lovely ride in the bright sunshine but it was much colder than it looked and I stopped to put on the liners inside my gore winter gloves. Out to Haydock on the East Lancs cycle path, back through Culcheth, then over the Lancs to Astley. I decided to check out the path alongside the new guided busway but although it goes through some lovely countryside the path is very difficult to ride on because it's covered in a thick layer of loose gravel.

IMG_20160416_124923186.jpg

Top Bottom