Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
[QUOTE="Donger, post: 4261325,

p.s. @Dark46 has just discovered that next week's ride is also up into the Forest of Dean and includes the steepest, worst hill that he did yesterday all over again. He is probably not best pleased with me right now.

That's fine with me now I've done them bring them on!!![/QUOTE]
You know second time you do a hill it's the law you have to do it quicker :okay:

Old jon

Guru
A much quieter ride than my last one. Despite it being Bank Holiday Monday, little traffic, no crowds. The weather may have had something to do with it.

Even the quick trundle around three sides of Holbeck was peaceful, no cars parked at the roadside makes riding a lot easier. I was intending a devious route to Wetherby, so along Great Wilson Street, Crown Point Road and over the river. I usually have a bit of a smile when I see what has become of Tatey Dock, the narrow little entrance from the lock around the weir is still there, but through that everything is so different . . .

Anyway, Regent Street and Roseville and Roundhay Roads up to the Oakwood Clock and the top of Boot Hill. Turn left just after the pub onto Gatehouse Lane and follow it on to Shadwell, turn left to reach Slaid Hill then right to ride along Wike Ridge to the village of that name, drop to East Keswick, up Potts Hill to ride through Collingham, on to Wetherby ( very quiet A 58 ) and refuel the engine. I took the West Woods Road out of Wetherby to Bramham, just before I reached the right turn for Thorner the weather gave me a free lesson in swimming with attached bicycle. By ‘eck it rained, and the headwind was a bit strong also. Anyway, it had just about stopped when I reached Thorner, on for Skeltons Lane followed by Red Hall Lane and a well earned whizzz down my second favourite hill and the average trek across Leeds to finish 34.1 miles for the day. Oh, apologies. I thought I had pressed the shutter release, but I had not. So no video today.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Just back from 4 days cycling in Mallorca.

A group of us flew out & rented a villa in the small town of Campanet.
A great base for exploring the island with the excellent Bar ES club situated in the main square.
We hired bikes from Bikehead - I rode a Cannondale Synapse Ultegra Disc.

Day 1 - Arta & Ermita de Betlem
130 kms w/ 1568 ascent.

Day 2 - Calvia & Pungunyent
130 kms w/ 1601 metres ascent.

Day 3 - Talaia d'Albercutx & Femenia
82 kms w/ 1650 ascent.

Day 4 - Five Mallorcan Cols
128 kms w/ 3880 ascent !

Four excellent days cycling with day 4 being the highlight we climbed Col de sa Batttalia, Col de Ruis, Sa Calobra in 49:16 ( 8 mins quicker than my previous attempt ), Puig Major & finally after lunch Col de Soller !!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Rasmus

Without a clever title
A lovely ride today, finishing in a bit of a disaster.

Good bits first: I am well behinf on the last 2 years on the mileage, so a long ride was on order. Picked out a not too challenging loop down through and around Somerset. Flat into the headwind going out, tailwind with a few hills coming back.

A very enjoyable ride on mostly quiet lanes, some I knew, some I didn't. Enjoyed the place names along the way, passing nearby Butt Lake, Pound Pool, and of course Cockrod. Had to stop and grab quick photo of the view to Glastonbury Tor from the ridge above Compton:
VU1dD-L9otzN2XJgI8OLr6yUWS4XGRCPR_QhWiJO_FQ-2048x1152.jpg

After coming down off the NE Somerset hills I made my way homewards on the b2b path. A puncture arrived. No problem, I am prepared! Except I wasn't prepared for the pump extracting the valve core on tube #1, and then completely getting the core stuck in the pump head on the second attempt - and the second spare tube having been packed wrong and being too big for the tyre., meaning I couldn't get the tyre seated properly. Made it home by walking up to a nearby shop (luckily open) to buy an el cheapo pump, then a very gentle decent at low pressure to find a train. Lesson learnt about paying attention to emergency supplies!

https://www.strava.com/activities/563184078

Stevec047

Über Member
I had one of those days where everything just worked. Having fitted the new wheels/tyres on the bike yesterday and realising how heavy the stock carrera or whatever other brand halfords use on there range of bikes were compared to the new wheels. I wasn't really expecting to feel any difference in the ride but as soon as I set off the bike felt totally different.

I couldnt really put my finger on what felt different as I switched my saddle the other week as well but I just carried on. Hitting the brakes for the first time at the end of the lane was an amazing feeling no more clicking from the rear wheel and a nice smooth feel.

So there was no real plan today I just set off on a route I sort of knew. The first section is a section I do regularly and immediately I was faster and smoother then I hit the hill out of Castle Hedingham toward sudbury and anticipating girding to a halt like I have every other time I chucked it into the small ring and the 28 at the rear only to have my feet spinning around like I was going down hill. Knock it down to the middle of the cassette and power up the hill.

Now I knew that the light wheels and new tyres where the big improvement I was looking for.

With my confidence sky high I just kept riding taking random roads and ending up at Bures then Chappel stopping off for a drink and a packet of crisps before setting off again towards halstead cutting across country to Gosfield and then back home. Another 50k done and feeling great.

Not only that but since cycling back in october where I was pushing 17stone I have just weighed myself and am now the lightest I have been in my adult life at 14 stone 10.

Attachments

• 20160502_130541.jpg
    20160502_130541.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20160502_134626.jpg
    20160502_134626.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 37

13 rider

Guru
I had one of those days where everything just worked. Having fitted the new wheels/tyres on the bike yesterday and realising how heavy the stock carrera or whatever other brand halfords use on there range of bikes were compared to the new wheels. I wasn't really expecting to feel any difference in the ride but as soon as I set off the bike felt totally different.

I couldnt really put my finger on what felt different as I switched my saddle the other week as well but I just carried on. Hitting the brakes for the first time at the end of the lane was an amazing feeling no more clicking from the rear wheel and a nice smooth feel.

So there was no real plan today I just set off on a route I sort of knew. The first section is a section I do regularly and immediately I was faster and smoother then I hit the hill out of Castle Hedingham toward sudbury and anticipating girding to a halt like I have every other time I chucked it into the small ring and the 28 at the rear only to have my feet spinning around like I was going down hill. Knock it down to the middle of the cassette and power up the hill.

Now I knew that the light wheels and new tyres where the big improvement I was looking for.

With my confidence sky high I just kept riding taking random roads and ending up at Bures then Chappel stopping off for a drink and a packet of crisps before setting off again towards halstead cutting across country to Gosfield and then back home. Another 50k done and feeling great.

Not only that but since cycling back in october where I was pushing 17stone I have just weighed myself and am now the lightest I have been in my adult life at 14 stone 10.
Well done @Stevec047 knocking those 50 kms out now :okay: Well done on the weight loss
I upgraded my wheels recently and the feel of the bike is so much better amazing isn't a simple change makes such a difference

Stevec047

Über Member
Well done @Stevec047 knocking those 50 kms out now :okay: Well done on the weight loss
I upgraded my wheels recently and the feel of the bike is so much better amazing isn't a simple change makes such a difference
Thanks yeah seems to be a regular thing now which I am not complaining about 50 k seems achievable without putting myself in a world of pain.

Yeah the wheels and tyre combo have made a huge difference it's a new bike now.

Thanks next target is to get down below 14 stone and trim up a bit.

13 rider

Guru
Having finishing painting and having tea I noticed it had turned into a lovely evening best part of the day . So out with the bike . Anstey,Thurcaston ,Rothley and first strava segment to chase up Templer Rd and 9th best time . On to Mountsorrel and the second chosen strava segment .Up Crown lane and another pr still need another 9 secs to beat my mate can't see that happening . Heading back home through Mountsorrel to Swithland lane and turned to Swithland .Through the village into a lovely headwind so swung left to Cropston and Anstey . 14.4 miles done in lovely if a bit windy conditions lovely way to finish a bank holiday .

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Nipped out for an hour on the hybrid this afternoon after the earlier heavy rain and almost wished I hadn't...
Three streets from home, nearly got T-boned by a Golf slowly pulling out of a side street on my right - he'd definitely seen me as I was looking him in the eye as he got closer and closer so I can only assume it was deliberate? Anyway, a bit too close to home for an altercation plus there was a young kid in the passenger seat so I let it go, despite being sorely tempted to have words.:dry:
Then a couple of hundred yards down the hill, an Astra pulled out on me. That really got my attention and I locked the back wheel up stopping the bike, although I did at least get a waved apology as he stopped half out of the junction. :dry:
And me in my day-glo green Altura top and with legs white enough to cause snow blindness...perhaps I need to get some all black kit. :rolleyes:
Anyhow, a wandering route through the 'burbs up to Temple Newsam, then onto NCN R66 through to Thorp Park, then onto the bridleway where a father and his young daughter out on a bike ride had stopped to watch Bambi running through the fields, before stopping for a couple of pics just before the bridge over the M1:
IMG_20160502_150208255PAN.jpg
IMG_20160502_150237408_2.jpg

(Yes the bike was in need of a wash!)
Over the bridge and down through the woods towards Garforth. As I left the bridleway section of R66 there was another family group on their bikes stopped for drinks, then down on the road, there was another family group unloading their bikes from the car. I think this cycling lark might catch on...;)
A quick left and left again under the railway bridge and then back on Nanny Goat Lane up to the riding school and the bridleway back to Manston Lane, where the howling headwind really made itself felt. I think today might have been my slowest time over this section ever :bicycle:
Honestly, the wind today made yesterdays weather seem like a gentle breeze.
Past another family group and then up onto Pendas Fields where on a downhill section I paused pedaling to take a drink and almost stopped such was the headwind. Pedaling to keep moving downhill is just wrong. :headshake:
Anyhow, on to home and a quick spin around the block to get the mileage up.

10.10 miles (16.25 km) in 55m 10s at an average of 11.0 mph, with 620 ft climbed. A good use of a spare hour, given I survived the numpties ;)

02052016.jpg

Then when I got home I washed and lubed the bike in the sunshine, up against the fence out of the wind...:whistle:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The rain band went through to leave a lovely day ahead. I saddled up and took to the banks of my first Lake - Bassenthwaite. The plan was to take on the climb over Newlands with its 25% gradients. The wind had decided to make the ride up to the heights just a bit more difficult. Indeed on the "easy" level between the 17% ramp and the final 25% push the wind was so strong I was struggling to stay upright and only making 6 mph on the flat. When I hit the 25% it was really tough so when a vehicle got in the way and I was forced to stop I couldn't get started again. But only 20 yards to walk and even that was tough going. The descent to Buttermere (my next Lake) was exciting with that wind attempting to push the bike around on the road.

I made it safely and rode along Crummock Water (Lake number 3) before climbing over Scale Hill for Loweswater. But first I stopped at the Kirkstile Inn for soup and tea. The road along Loweswater (Lake 4) is almost on the beach. But this lovely stretch is interrupted by the tough climb of Fangs Brow which takes one away and on over some lumpy high country to reveal a superb view of Ennerdale. There are then a couple of hairpins before I could drop all the way into Ennerdale for Lake 5 - Ennerdale Water. I stopped here to take in the view of the Fells and the Lake whilst I ate cheese sandwiches and some fruit.

The road ceases in Ennerdale so I climbed back out the way I came in and began a cross country run from Ennerdale Bridge by Rowrah. Up on the tops it was quite exposed but now I had views over the Solway and the Irish Sea with the Isle of Man showing well. It was quite a up and down ride and the wind wasn't lessening although I wasn't taking its full brunt. I discovered a lovely little village in Ullock and at Branthwaite many straw statues were on display outside the cottages. Some very inventive indeed.

Now I was looking forward to getting back as this had turned out to be a very tough ride. At Greysouthen I recognised the roads and made reasonable time back with a small detour to purchase a bottle of red. One tough 50 miler this was so I do deserve a glass or two of restorative grape juice.

gavgav

Guru
On my holibobs with @Rickshaw Phil and his brother Doug, we got out for our 1st ride of the week today. The 1st two days have been wet and I've been suffering with a cold which has morphed into Sinusitis and has left me feeling rotten. Feeling a bit more human today and so we did our regular 1st ride in Cumbria, which is an anti-clockwise ride around Coniston lake.

Set out along the western shore path, with lovely views over the lake, including SS Gondola on its regular route
image.jpeg

There is quite a climb then up to Torver and with it being into the strong gusty wind it was slow going along this section.

Phil and/the (delete as appropriate) Old Man of Coniston :whistle:
image.jpeg

Once out onto the main road there is a nice descent and then flat section, before it gets a bit more lumpy through some brilliant scenery and a turn off onto quieter lanes at Waters Yeat. From High Nibthwaite we turned out of the wind, mostly, along the eastern shore of the lake and made good progress to Brantwood and then the fun downhill section to join the main road back into Coniston, hard work into the wind again.

We dropped down to the Bluebird Cafe and Boating centre, to enjoy our packed lunch by the lake. Chilly sat there but good to just enjoy the scenery.

There was then a short section back on the gravel path through the fields home.

The rest of the week looks a bit warmer, finally and I feel OK after the ride, so hopefully some longer rides will be on the cards.

15.2 miles with 969 ft of climbing

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I needed to go to the bank today, which is three miles away, but I decided that as the MTB was already dirty from Sunday's ride I go to the bank at Wantage, which is 9 miles away, on that via The Ridgeway. So from the track outside my house up to Chilton and a long the chalky track past the Atomic Energy research place along the The Ridgeway into a blumen blasty headwind all the way to the top of Wantage, a pause for some photos by the monument for some rich dead bloke and a piece of Malt Loaf. There I have a choice a very fast on road down hill into Wantage or an almost as fast bridleway down, I took the latter which made the slog into the headwind worth it, just over two miles of fast single track down to the edge of town.

Once I visited the bank (which I was disappointed to learn is closing next month) I headed home, with the tailwind behind me most of the way. I lovely sunny morning with a bit of a chill in the wind, a thoroughly lovely ride out all the same. 20.11 miles, that'll do.

Some photos for entertainment.

1-IMG_3261.JPG

Near the top, the village of Chilton at the bottom of the track and what is left of Didcot Power Station on the left.

2-IMG_3262.JPG

Stunning innit?

3-IMG_3264.JPG

This right of way / byway is over ten thousand years old.

4-IMG_3265.JPG

I think by the end of this year that eyesore in the distance will be gone. Just a matter of finding three bodies first. Poor souls.

5-IMG_3266.JPG

A monument for a rich dead bloke.

6-IMG_3269.JPG

Who's Soreen Now?

7-IMG_3270.JPG

Two and quarter mile down hill starts now, straight down the middle.

MAp.jpg

Old jon

Guru
Another morning of blowy weather. It seemed to be westerly if anything, so clever clogs here decided that some route including Otley would produce headwind in the morning ( I got that bit right ) and tailwinds for the return journey. Hmmm almost.

The Holbeck gavotte delivered me to Office Lock, the towpath and the headwind. Rode along to Viaduct Road, Cardigan Road and North Lane and up to the Ring Road at Lawnswood. Straight across and on to Holt Lane, ‘cos I have not been along there in ages. Not much change though, and I eventually found my way to Otley Old Road just north of the Cookridge water tower. Followed the road to Bramhope, on to the A 660 and down Pool Bank.

The road along the bottom of the valley was hard work this morning, I was glad to reach Otley for a stop and a bite to eat. Then it was about turn, climb the Leeds Road out of Otley and follow it most of the way to, oddly, Leeds. A sideswipe to Kirkstall to find the lunchtime joggers had taken over the towpath and complete 31.1 miles by going home via the bottom left hand corner of Hunslet.

13 rider

Guru
Got up this morning with a headache .Apparently last night I was in a pub watching two teams play football neither which I support and getting quite excited at the result :hyper:Alcohol may have been consumed . So a morning pottering about very quietly . After dinner I decided to get out on the bike powered by paracetamol .Up through Newtown Linford up Sharply hill left at Old John and out to Beacon Crossroads and left and right on the Charley Rd .Through Oaks in Charnwood past St Bernard's Abbey and into Shepshed via the single track ncn 6 then around the back of Shepshed back onto Charley Rd .right at the end away from Beacon hill and up on to Whitcroft lane to crossroads at Polly Botts right on to Priory lane over the A50 onto to Thornton via the back of Markfield .Down past the reservoir and the climb back out head towards Markfield but turn right to Ratby ,Groby and Home 34.1 miles done and the head feels at bit clearer . Back to the grindstone tomorrow :sad: Mays 50km ride in the bag nice an early ^_^

Top Bottom