Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Today was the Historic Commercial Vehicle Rally from Crystal Place to London to Brighton. There were lovely blue skies and the sun was shining.. but the temperature gauge was showing a little nippy 2°. After a nice brekkie I was out of the door just after 7.30am to meet Mr Arallsopp en route, then on to Purley to meet up with Tim, Dave and Bob and to intercept the rally.
Riding through Croydon I spied a couple of cyclists. I recognised the bum and the knee bandage... it was @Agent Hilda and @dellzeqq , out for a sunday morning training ride.. I convinced them they should tag along with us... in fact I insisted... and they agreed :okay: So now our number were 2 more then expected. Great stuff.
By the time we had got to Purley, the Vintage vehicles were just starting to come through. 2 of the first we saw were a couple of lovely vintage fire engines.

20160501_085519s.jpg
20160501_085459s.jpg

A few more miles down the A23 we were being overtaken and we were overtaking a good few of the vehicles on the rally, something that was repeated all the way down to Crawley, the half way stop for the rally and a chance for us to have a break, grab some coffee's, tea's and cake and have a nose around some of the vehicles. Being such a splendiferous, sunny day, the vehicles looked absolutely stunning. Buffed to within and inch or their lives.

20160501_102848s.jpg
20160501_102825s.jpg
20160501_102750s.jpg
20160501_102611s.jpg
20160501_103931s.jpg
20160501_103827s.jpg

20160501_103751s.jpg

At Crawley is was a goodbye to AH and Del as they made their way back to home. We rejoined the rally. Making very good time swooping down one of the very best cycling roads in SE England, the B2114 from Handross, through Stapelfield and on to Cuckflied. Mile upon mile of glorious cycling.

We made very good and quick progress, once again leapfrogging several of the same vehicles en route. Much to the amusement of some of the passengers.We hit the usual heavy traffic that is now unfortunately synonymous with Brighton. A lovely city that is blighted by the motor car.

Straight down to the sea and on to the beach for fish and chips.

20160501_132252s.jpg

It really was a lovely, sunny day... a dip in the Channel was mentioned... but that idea was very quickly poo poohed...I don't think the sea would have been at a welcoming temperature. :cold:

Bob left us to visit friends in Brighton whilst myself, Andy and Tim made our way back home. Once again mixing with too many motor cars to get out of Brighton to hit the Devil's Dyke. One of my favourite climbs and descents. We we very lucky in that the wind Gods had blessed us with a lovely tailwind. Progress was nice and rapid and highly enjoyable with the clear blue skies and the sunshine.

We left Tim at Crawley (his home town) which just left myself and Andy to knock out the remaining miles to home in the county of Bromleyshire.

So..
112 miles for the day. May's Century a month challenge completed. Century # 10 for the year, 176 over all and a few Eddington numbers to boot.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A rare event! Todays ride, posted today..
After the usual stupid o'clock finish at work, I was home just in time to bake some chocolate chip flapjacks for todays ride. I was in bed by about 01:30, I think, and up at 06:15 ready to ride over to a mate's house at 07:25 to be there by 08:00 <yawn>. As I only knew he was off work as well during the day, I'd not prepped the bike or got anything ready beforehand, hence the early morning baking session. Still, it gave me time for a beer whilst waiting :okay:

Once up, I wasn't sure whether to bare the legs or not. It was only slightly freezing, but with the promise of warmer weather later in the morning. I eventually decided to cover up and not take the chance on blue and shivering legs. Shame really, as it did warm up nicely within a few hours. Hey Ho..
Our plan, decided over a strong black coffee and some cake, was to pedal a few miles up the Brampton Valley Way and then branch off the old railway line towards Maidwell and Blueberry Farm and the bridleways beyond. I've ridden these several times, so know which bits are hard going. We were lucky today as the mud was reasonably dry and the mucky parts avoidable. (I've done this route in snow and wet weather, and it can be almost unrideable. Still, today was good)

Heading back across the old railway, Cycle Route 6, we decided to do another circuit to find a different bridleway back to Blueberry Farm and then cross, once again, the railway line and up a steepie towards Hanging Houghton

IMG_20160501_195000.jpg

Half way up, we stopped for a snack and to admire the view. I wasn't sure if we could ride further than Hanging Houghton as it's on the A508, not a road I like to cycle along. Luckily, we spotted a sign across the road, so headed across some fields and byways I thought I'd not used before.

IMG_20160501_134146.jpg

As it turned out, I recognised a wooded knoll from a few years ago. I'd approached it from t'other direction last time though. Obviously, we had to ride up and down it a bit (Note to self: Grow up!! :laugh:)

After a mile or so, we turned back, as we were heading in the wrong direction. Enjoyable as the tracks were we needed to start heading back.
We did find a more direct bridleway back though, which crossed a field of rape.

DSC_0024.jpg

Remind me to not wear a yellow jacket next time. I might be a bit less visible to the flying bug population...

After this, we whooped back down the hill we'd sweated up and then pootled back down the Brampton Valley into a steady, and chilly, breeze back to my mates place for another coffee and before I headed back home via the south of the town.

DSC_0038.JPG

Back home for a beer as it's a non-driving day today. :cheers:

Untitled.png

We had several chats with horse riders, dog walkers and kids on bikes and their parents on our way round, on the more frequented parts of the route, which made the day even more enjoyable.

Altogether, a crackin' 50 miles, with approximately 20 miles on tarmac/hard-pack, and 30 off-road.

https://www.strava.com/activities/562001632

:smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Another early ride this morning covering some new to me cycling roads to the east of Wellingborough .

Route was Irhlingborough (dont tell @betty swollocks ) ,Little and Great Addington then across a quiet a14 and through the 2 Cranfords into Barton Seagrave and then Isham via the edge of Burton Latimer .

And then on to Orlingbury and 17 mile point where i made the decision to go left and head home through Harrowden and along to the top of the mad mile and home , just over 22 miles again on the Dawes which is riding well .

Again wearing the GearBest supplied lycra which is really comfortable and was warm enough today under my cycling jacket , will have to see how it washes next .

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yesterday’s Ride.

The fragrant Mrs P signed up for the Wiltshire Wild Life Trusts Neolithic Marathon and while she was at it signed me up for the Neolithic bike ride, a 50K mountain bike ride around the Salisbury Plain. I set off at stupid o’clock to get to the start and ended up going to the wrong place 22 miles away, eventually got to correct start near Bulford with just 20 minutes spare to get across the start line before the cut-off point. Mrs P had to start at Avebury

The routes was mostly hard pack fire track routes, so very easy riding apart from some quite lumpy hills, after about 20 miles the route took on some grassy single track which slowed the pace a little but that only lasted about 3 miles then it as back to the fire tracks. I stopped with another couple of riders to help a lady who went over the handlebars, but she was ok just winded.

The scenery was stunning although a bit samey after a while, and although there were over 300 cyclists taking part I was often alone along the tracks, wondering at times if I was on the right path, especially along the path with the signs not move off the track or touch anything as it may explode and kill you!

The weather was warm and windy which was behind us on the return leg, the finish line was a welcome sight. We were given a medal and lunch box at the end.

I had to hang around a bit waiting for the fragrant Mrs P to finish the her Marathon, eventually I got bored and decided to ride along the marathon route to see if I could find her, after about three miles I saw her, and rode back alongside her, the first marathon for Mrs P this year.

A very well organised event by Wiltshire Wild Life Trust, for all the family, as well as the marathon and bike ride, there was a 30k ride, a half marathon and a 13 mile walk and a 26 mile walk. A brilliant day out. http://www.wiltshirewildlife.org/Pages/Events/Category/sarsen-trail-and-neolithic-marathon.

1-IMG_3234.JPG

Salisbury Plain
3-IMG_3239.JPG

More Salisbury Plain
4-IMG_3241.JPG

Typical Track Surface
5-IMG_3242.JPG

You may be blown up and killed
6-IMG_3244.JPG

Hurrah! Some Woods
7-IMG_3246.JPG

Ummm..Salisbury Plain again
8-IMG_3249.JPG

Lunch Box
9-IMG_3251.JPG

Mission Control
Neolithic.png

Main Ride
Neolithic2.png

Second Ride

35 off road miles in total.

@ianrauk Great photos of your ride Ian, thanks.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Got up this morning and the legs were protesting about yesterday's exertions still don't know why I was so tried after yesterday ride. Checked the forecast rain about 1200 so The planned 50 km was forgottoned about .So a short hour spin instead . Out by 10.00 Anstey to Cropston picked up a tailwind and I'm flying out to Swithland average pushing 20mph didn't last long turned into Swithland and a headwind .Legs feeling OK now so let's put a couple of hills in . Into Woodhouse Eaves and up Maplewell Rd then straight on up priory lane and back to Newtown Linford . Tailwind home so full attack for last strava segment before home Braggie hill sprint .Managed to take a second off pr to 27 secs 6th fastest this year . The first time I did this segment on strava time was 58 secs .I am a bit faster now ^_^. Back home now legs are aching again:laugh: Time for a coffee than off go apply a second coat of delux ONCE gloss may get out again before tea if forecast is correct

Last edited:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
A short jaunt on my new bike today, I have upgraded from my very basic Halfords bike to a new pretty hybrid. I am still getting used to the gears, having them on each hand is confusing. The difference in riding it is amazing though.

View attachment 126841

I did similar a couple of months ago, enjoy.

Dark46

Veteran
Yesterday while @Donger and the rest of the club were away getting wet in Wales, @Frazzle, Claire P, Tony H and I were getting to grip with the Forest of Dean.

The ride went into Gloucester and then along the A40 then of towards Newent before heading towards May Hill and Glasshouse.

At no time I decided to push myself as I knew what was to come later in the F of D. I wanted to make sure there was enough in the tank to get home.

It was a short trip along the A40 again before heading off towards Little London and then into the Forest for real.

At Mitcheldean it was up Plump Hill for the first time for me then towards Coleford. As we went through the lights at the end of Cinderford we most have got caught in a sportif. @Frazzle and I had a guy pass us , so we then tucked in behind and dropped a gear.

At the right moment we wasted him and he had no chance to reply lol. I must admit it felt good. Plus it was good we were only a mile or so from Cannop and our coffee stop.

From Cannop it was up towards Speechouse and up Whites Road. Another couple of hills I can cross off as I have done in one go.

Luckily it was down hill from here most of the way home.

All in all it was 46.6 miles and between 2,700 and 3,000ft of climbing depending if you look at my Garmin or @Frazzle's. Oh yes and aching legs lol

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Yesterday while @Donger and the rest of the club were away getting wet in Wales, @Frazzle, Claire P, Tony H and I were getting to grip with the Forest of Dean........ As we went through the lights at the end of Cinderford we most have got caught in a sportif. ..........

That would probably be the "Dean Bluebell Doddle" ... one of the shortest (at 56KM, I think) rides on the audax circuit .... though I guess you can now imagine how tough it is.

p.s. @Dark46 has just discovered that next week's ride is also up into the Forest of Dean and includes the steepest, worst hill that he did yesterday all over again. He is probably not best pleased with me right now.

Dark46

Veteran
Today I had to drop my van into work due to a miss calculation of how many were needed first thing in the morning.

So I put the Boardman in the back of the can to cycle home on.

It was good to.be on the Hybrid again but the BB is creaking like mad and needs replacing.

It was good riding along the canal path in Gloucester again and making a few adjusts on the way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom