Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Couple of rides.

Yesterday was an easy commute in;

https://www.strava.com/activities/639296378

Today was a bit different;felt a bit 'meh' this morning but set off with the Helium on a different route out via Isleham and Fordham to Burwell,was a bit chilly first thing and was glad of the warmers and Hot Pack gilet.

If I still felt crappy by Burwell I could just roll straight in to work but didn't feel too bad although it was a bit harder than usual so turned off and did a detour via Little Wilbraham to Six Mile Bottom for the 'climb' up SMB road to West Wratting and then Balsham.

Took the road back to Fulbourn and another run up Worts Causway/Shelford Rd and then Lime Kiln Hill and back in to Cambridge.

https://www.strava.com/activities/640398600

As the title says was a bit of work today so this afternoons return will be an easier affair I think.

181k up for the week so should have caught up some more for the yearly distance goal and more good training(was a headwind in places)for the ride London on the 31st.

Simontm

Veteran
Lo all, been awhile (work, the curse of the drinking classes). Since I'm at home, and it's sunny, I popped out did Kingston Gate to Richmond gate through the park, over to Kew, Brentford, Houslow, Hampton, then into Bushy Park. There I encountered one of the banes of my life - the dog walker that doesn't realise that yes, this is a proper road as her Labrador shot across it in front of me. Lucky I wasn't a car and more manouvrable!
Any ways, over to Hampton Wick, back down the tow path to Hampton Court then picked up a stray at the railway crossing. The young lass had got herself a bit lost trying to get back to Ewell.
She tailed me through Thames Ditton and I dropped her off at the bottom of Ditton Hill. A relative newcomer apparently so I've sent her this direction if she remembers :hello:.
Turned round to head back home, picked up some food at the shop then in an attack of conscience, I dumped the bag in the fridge then bombed it up Ditton Hill to see if I could catch her (was worried about the dual carriageway that heads towards Ewell). Couldn't see her so guess she was OK, headed back down and home. 30 miler in total. Nice to be back on the bike.:bicycle:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It was threatening to rain today, but I decided to go for a pootle anyway. Another one of my favourite places is a village called llanbrynmair. There is a pub called the wynstay and beside that is a quiet lane that goes on for miles. There was some Sun, but a lot of dark clouds as Well. There is also a nice walk called the glyndwr way. Here is my pitiful attempt at taking photos.
20160714_124123.jpg
20160714_122218.jpg
20160714_122530.jpg

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
I saw lots of dark threatening clouds hanging over the Rhinogs today, but they didn't actually do anything (must've been because I had my waterproof jacket with me...:laugh:). Sunny start near Beddgelert, coffee stop at Busy Bees in Penryhndeudrath, down the coast road to Harlech (passing that nice little hill near the castle:training:), on to Llanbedr, then through the lanes towards Cwm Bychan. Then I turned off onto a road that does an excellent job of looking like a farm track...there's enough plantlife growing in the middle of it to keep an entire gang of botanists busy for years and send David Bellamy into wapsodies. After a few miles of climbing, I was rewarded with a stunning panorama from the Llyn all the way to the Rhinogs -well worth all the gates you have to keep opening and closing to stop our woolly friends from straying. After that it's time to lose all that lovely height you've been gaining...apart from a few minor undulations it's downhill (multiple chevrons involved, and more gates) all the way to Llandecwyn , and the A road back to Penryhndeudrath, where you have to cycle back UP that lovely hill towards Garreg (unless you want to detour via Porthmadog). Boom boom as a certain fox would say:okay:!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Commuting miles as usual in the week but today I had a nice fast run both ways. On the way out I had a tailwind for roughly the first 3 miles which gave a good boost (up to 25mph) then a cross wind which didn't seem to hinder me at all. I took the longer way through Cross Houses from where the wind made it slightly harder as I headed through Atcham and northwards. There wasn't a lot of traffic and no incidents to report which all helped with a high average speed by the time I got to work.

On the way back I followed an artic off the estate and as it was headed in the same direction as me and took time getting up to speed I got the benefit of the slipstream for the short distance 'til I turned off.^_^ That made me eager to keep the speed up so even though I wasn't going the most favourable way I pressed on. Wind and gradient were in my favour past Attingham Park (up to 25mph again here) then I was into the lumpy bit where it's hard to keep up momentum.

Despite that the average speed hadn't dropped too much so I kept pushing on, against the wind now, for the last couple of miles to home arriving about 5 minutes earlier than I would usually.

15.3 mph moving average for the round trip which is not only the fastest commute I've done on the knockabout bike but also by a very small margin the quickest I've averaged on it for any circular ride.:hyper: I'll have to give it another try on my "fast" loop without the panniers and stuff.

This is what I love about cycling; a routine and mundane ride can be turned into a little adventure.:okay:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another super-short cycle as I picked the hybrid up from the shop.

No pics unfortunately today as I wanted to get home, but was quite please to get within 5 seconds of my PB (set on the road bike) riding the hybrid up the CSH. Imagine what time I could have set if I was actually trying...:laugh:
Shame I then sat for over THREE MINUTES waiting for a gap in traffic at the point where the CSH dumps you onto the Windmill Roundabout in the worst place possible. Thanks though to the driver who stopped and waved me across :okay: or I might well still be there...
It's no wonder that some cyclists still choose to ride the 70mph dual carriageway rather than use the CSH.

A huge 1.77 miles (2.85km) in 11m 26s at an average of 10.0mph, with a huge 154ft climbed. It's no wonder I'm cream crackered after all that is it? :whistle:

14072016.jpg

One final thing - the A64 York Road is being "surface dressed" from the Windmill Roundabout out at least as far as the Old Red Lion pub. You might want to avoid it for the next week or so (no great hardship as there are far better alternatives locally if you're on a bike).

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another super-short cycle as I picked the hybrid up from the shop.

No pics unfortunately today as I wanted to get home, but was quite please to get within 5 seconds of my PB (set on the road bike) riding the hybrid up the CSH. Imagine what time I could have set if I was actually trying...:laugh:
Shame I then sat for over THREE MINUTES waiting for a gap in traffic at the point where the CSH dumps you onto the Windmill Roundabout in the worst place possible. Thanks though to the driver who stopped and waved me across :okay: or I might well still be there...
It's no wonder that some cyclists still choose to ride the 70mph dual carriageway rather than use the CSH.

A huge 1.77 miles (2.85km) in 11m 26s at an average of 10.0mph, with a huge 154ft climbed. It's no wonder I'm cream crackered after all that is it? :whistle:

View attachment 134892

One final thing - the A64 York Road is being "surface dressed" from the Windmill Roundabout out at least as far as the Old Red Lion pub. You might want to avoid it for the next week or so (no great hardship as there are far better alternatives locally if you're on a bike).
For those of us outside the area, what does CSH stand for?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The next instalment of my Mettricks Coffee shop social rides tonight.

A very nice 32 miler, down to Beaulieu and back, in some lovely( ish ) weather.

Southampton's "Zany zycling Zebra". He's wearing Lycra, and a Maillot Jaune, so I think it's Chris Froome's next tactic ( no one will see this 'marginal gain' coming:okay:

image.jpeg

The posse at Beaulieu
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Me, in my new Ridesocial jersey ( It is my prize, for being the top organiser in my area).:thumbsup:

A nice 32 miles done:bicycle:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/641020621/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1468525208

robjh

Legendary Member
I saw lots of dark threatening clouds hanging over the Rhinogs today, but they didn't actually do anything (must've been because I had my waterproof jacket with me...:laugh:). Sunny start near Beddgelert, coffee stop at Busy Bees in Penryhndeudrath, down the coast road to Harlech (passing that nice little hill near the castle:training:), on to Llanbedr, then through the lanes towards Cwm Bychan. Then I turned off onto a road that does an excellent job of looking like a farm track...there's enough plantlife growing in the middle of it to keep an entire gang of botanists busy for years and send David Bellamy into wapsodies. After a few miles of climbing, I was rewarded with a stunning panorama from the Llyn all the way to the Rhinogs -well worth all the gates you have to keep opening and closing to stop our woolly friends from straying. After that it's time to lose all that lovely height you've been gaining...apart from a few minor undulations it's downhill (multiple chevrons involved, and more gates) all the way to Llandecwyn , and the A road back to Penryhndeudrath, where you have to cycle back UP that lovely hill towards Garreg (unless you want to detour via Porthmadog). Boom boom as a certain fox would say:okay:!
just reading that has me drooling to go cycling in North Wales again. That and @welsh dragon's photos.

gavgav

Guru
Where do I start.......really struggling for cycling motivation at the moment, partly because I feel so knackered from my new job, that I just want to flop when I get home. Made myself get out for a ride tonight, as I know it's what I need really. It was full of events the sort of which I didn't want.

Set off around through Sutton Farm, to avoid the roadworks, then through Bayston Hill and up Lyth Hill. Whilst dropping down the other side of the hill, there was a sudden horrendous grinding noise from the back brakes. I paused to see what it was, used my fingers to see if anything stuck in them (disc brakes) and promptly burnt the tip of my finger! Why didn't I realise that brakes would be hot after a descent :wacko::shy:

A bit of playing with the levers and wheel must have dislodged whatever it was and I continued to Exfords Green, where, approaching a junction to my left, I luckily saw that the car approaching was looking left and not right and he pulled out right in front of me, causing me to do an emergency stop :cursing:. I was just about to shout at him, when he put his hand up to apologise, so sufficed with a glare and hand gesture back (not complimentary!)

Headed on through Stapleton, Ryton and Longnor, where an impatient driver tried to pass me on a bend and promptly met another car head on, whilst alongside me. Idiot.

Turned left towards Frodesley, and came up behind a couple of horse riders, gave plenty of warning, which they acknowledged, slowed and tried to pass with plenty of room, only for both of the horses to become bucking broncos and attempt to throw their riders off!! :eek: I stopped and let them settle the horses down, with a car also waiting and then managed to inch past them without the horses becoming skittish! The riders apologised, no need, not their fault. 1st time I've ever had horses react like that on a ride though.

Pressed on to Acton Burnell, Pitchford and Cantlop, where they have been surface dressing the road. Chippings are still loose and there are 20mph limit signs, however they obviously don't apply to the idiot driver who stormed past me at well over 50mph, showering me in loose chippings. He had the volley and hand gestures, complete and utter knobber of the highest order. Thankfully the remainder of the drivers had common sense and passed me slowly and with width.

Arrived home having done 22.3 miles, but not particularly enjoyable.

Mrs M

Guru
Where do I start.......really struggling for cycling motivation at the moment, partly because I feel so knackered from my new job, that I just want to flop when I get home. Made myself get out for a ride tonight, as I know it's what I need really. It was full of events the sort of which I didn't want.

Set off around through Sutton Farm, to avoid the roadworks, then through Bayston Hill and up Lyth Hill. Whilst dropping down the other side of the hill, there was a sudden horrendous grinding noise from the back brakes. I paused to see what it was, used my fingers to see if anything stuck in them (disc brakes) and promptly burnt the tip of my finger! Why didn't I realise that brakes would be hot after a descent :wacko::shy:

A bit of playing with the levers and wheel must have dislodged whatever it was and I continued to Exfords Green, where, approaching a junction to my left, I luckily saw that the car approaching was looking left and not right and he pulled out right in front of me, causing me to do an emergency stop :cursing:. I was just about to shout at him, when he put his hand up to apologise, so sufficed with a glare and hand gesture back (not complimentary!)

Headed on through Stapleton, Ryton and Longnor, where an impatient driver tried to pass me on a bend and promptly met another car head on, whilst alongside me. Idiot.

Turned left towards Frodesley, and came up behind a couple of horse riders, gave plenty of warning, which they acknowledged, slowed and tried to pass with plenty of room, only for both of the horses to become bucking broncos and attempt to throw their riders off!! :eek: I stopped and let them settle the horses down, with a car also waiting and then managed to inch past them without the horses becoming skittish! The riders apologised, no need, not their fault. 1st time I've ever had horses react like that on a ride though.

Pressed on to Acton Burnell, Pitchford and Cantlop, where they have been surface dressing the road. Chippings are still loose and there are 20mph limit signs, however they obviously don't apply to the idiot driver who stormed past me at well over 50mph, showering me in loose chippings. He had the volley and hand gestures, complete and utter knobber of the highest order. Thankfully the remainder of the drivers had common sense and passed me slowly and with width.

Arrived home having done 22.3 miles, but not particularly enjoyable.
A like for your effort :smile:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Tonight we had a tandem ride through to Kingston, through the Eversdens and on to Haslingfield
image.jpeg

Though the sun was out for most of the ride it was a touch chilly on me bingo wings!
From Haslingfield we went to Barton and took the shortcut through the park where we saw these cottages
image.jpeg

Home via Comberton and the hill on Long Road. Tis a mere pimple compared to what we rode in Devon last week!

16 miles. A nice weekend awaits!

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Alas no time for any big rides but I did get out briefly to luxuriate in the greenery of Gregynog and Leighton Hall grounds.
IMG_20160713_145344_zpsgnf4abhk.jpg

IMG_20160713_145642_zpsdyaa9kn1.jpg

There was some fungus about too
fungus2_zpsxfqiz00o.jpg

fungus_zps3drzwwoy.jpg

IMG_20160714_122035%204_zpsjchd3kzp.jpg

...and believe it or not this is just a poultry shed:eek:
IMG_20160714_120535_zpslvze276s.jpg

IMG_20160714_121658%201_zpsvxkty5y1.jpg

in amongst the Redwoods of Leighton...
IMG_20160714_124616_zpsqhdqeeb3.jpg

Wales looks so lush, wish I could explore up here for longer, but I'm returning to the grey of London tomorrow, boo.

Top Bottom