Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Only 12.8 miles today, around the usual lanes to Epney and back. Left it late before going out, and watched the sun getting ready to set over the Severn, then sprinted home before it got dark. This ride was unusual only in that, after about 5 years of audaxing, that's the first time I've ever felt like getting on the bike again the next day. If I was ever going to do any touring in future, that had to be put right sooner or later. To say I was sore after yesterday's 100km ride with 6 hours in the saddle would be putting it mildly. Felt like I'd laid an egg. Quite surprisingly, though, I actually felt alright tonight. Stood out of the saddle every time I saw a pothole coming up to save my undercarriage from a further battering. Job done. There's another monkey off my back.
Cheers, Donger.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I am officially a veteran cyclist.. or old git cyclist...take your pick.

This weekends cycling shenanigans.

I am now, officially a veteran cyclist. Or should that be - officially, an old cyclist. It was my first over 50's Tri-Vet 100. Run every three years. I think I was the youngest rider there. Consisting of 4 groups of 10 people going out and doing Loops of some of the finest lanes that the Garden of England can offer. Joining me as usual, the legendary @rb58 and just as legendary @Trickedem .

This was a led ride and had a set average speed. A speed that I really wasn't used to. It was too slow. It took a while to get my head around the slowness of the ride, but once I did it was most enjoyable. I made sure I was at the back of the group as to not go speeding off at the front. It did make for a very nice change not to rush about like a mad march hare rather then a nice gentle cycle, taking it easy, chatting to all the other riders and taking in some of the glorious Kent countryside.

Each loop of 25 miles started and ended at the same place, the Missionary Hall in Golden Green. There was more tea, cake, biccies, crisps, choccies, jelly babies, fruit, fruit bars, Yogurt, rice pudding the you could shake a Garmin at. The list went on. I certainly had my fill each time.

So..scores on the doors. 124.72 miles (Incl. riding to the start and the loops), Century # 19 for the year. 185 over all.
I get a certificate and if I wish, a badge, each year you complete the ride, you get a date bar to add to it. I was told that I could get 10 date bars....hold on.. I will be 80 by then..:ohmy:^_^
trivetbadge.jpg

Some times, a slow, relaxed ride can be just as enjoyable as a all out lung and leg buster. I found that out today.

A map of the loops
upload_2016-7-10_21-16-50.png

Mr rb58 on the way to the start
20160710_080351.jpg

The (Green) group
20160710_085655.jpg

20160710_175407.jpg

I took the commuter/tourer today as heavy rain was forecast. Fortunately the forecast was wrong. We had a little mizzle for a while, certainly nothing that got one wet through, but the day was warm and we even had some sun.
20160710_142611.jpg

A good use of the old phone box next to the Hall
20160710_142023.jpg

Some lovely houses, worth a fair penny I reckon.
20160710_133138.jpg

Spotted today..why a couple of spacers when 20 will do..
pic.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After several days of not getting the chance of a ride, I actually managed to get out for one this afternoon; after the morning rain, and before the evening downpour!
With no particular destination or plan in mind, I decided to take the CX for some fresh air. After a bimble along the Washlands bikepath, where three lads were, I reckon, aiming for the local jump park on their SS BMX's thought a race was in order :laugh:
I did humour them for a 100 yards or so, but, hey, a scalp is a scalp, so I claimed 3 today even though their total ages added up to what mine was 20 years ago :becool:

Anyway, I continued around the town and into Harleston Firs for a bit of an off road fun. With the nettles and brambles being head height in places, I stuck to the main trails.

DSC_0613.JPG

DSC_0605.JPG

After cutting through the golf course, on a bridleway, I saw a new build house that I'd like to buy in Chapel Brampton..

Firs3.JPG

Sadly, I'm a few million ££ short though :sad:

Still, think of all the bikes I could fit in a triple garage ^_^

Once back in reality, I headed round Pitsford Reservoir towards home.

Untitled.png

Back home on 27.5 miles, in warm, sunny, cloudy, windy and humid weather just in time for a nice cold beer in the garden before it started precipitating it down.

https://www.strava.com/activities/636461913

:smile:

Old jon

Guru
Rather a lot of drizzle about this morning, but clear bits also. A near neighbour caught me before I pedalled away,

‘You ride your bike to work?’

‘No mate, I’m retired, none of that work stuff’

‘You ride your bike every day though’

‘Almost, but I do enjoy it’

‘Do you race? That is a racing bike.’

‘Nope, not a racing bike and no I do not race’

Bloody TV coverage, everybody’s an expert, and no I do not wear lycra.

Anyway, slight delay for conversation and off. Holbeck wander to the towpath, back to the tarmac at Viaduct Road and through Burley and Headingley to Lawnswood, where I turned right onto Church Lane, pass the church and across the dam at Adel and turn left towards the eastern entrance to Golden Acre Park. The higher up the ridge I travelled the more of a nuisance the wind became, after I turned left onto Kings Road and along the drop to Bramhope it was dead in my face. Turn right at the roundabout, through the village and on to the Dyneley crossroads, turn right to disappointment. The traffic jam extended halfway up Pool Bank and certainly slowed me down . . .

Along the valley bottom to Otley, lower down the wind was kinder and then up the Leeds Road with a booming tailwind! Wonderful, almost eleven miles an hour on the last straight before the top of Old Pool Bank. Then a lad went by, at least twice as fast, not even breathing heavily. The joys of old age are limited. But welcome.

The well worn end to the journey, A 660 all the way to Headingley, down the valley side to Kirkstall and the towpath back to Water Lane, missing all the traffic lights that way, and the town centre. Thirty miles, the last half more fun than the first.

A wind free map

11072016.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I suppose I should mention the weekend ride. I organise the Buzzard and Exe-Buzzard 600s (same route, different starts), and for some reason thought it would be a good idea to ride as well. Here's the Strava link . The weather was mostly kind with just a little wet on Sunday morning. Right leg got painful after a while, but got round okay. Just a 300 required to complete the 2016 SR.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Something completely different today, went with Senior Management down to Brocklehurst, hired a couple of bikes and had a bimble around the New Forest Cycle trails. I ended up on a good old fashioned sit up and beg style bike which, together with my shorts and jumper made me look like something out of The Famous Five ! Great time was had by all, 23 miles in total, 900 ft of climbing, with a stop for coffee and cake in the middle. Senior Management has not so much as looked at a bike for 6 months so she was feeling it a bit by the end but being a game old bird she dragged herself around. I was really impressed by the quality of the trails and it was lovely just to ride for the fun of it. Average speed was an impressive 7 miles per hour, which gives an indication of the relaxed nature of the day.

upload_2016-7-11_18-42-28.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/637374361

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A nice commute in to work this morning, quiet roads for a Monday, and out early enough to extend the ride a bit to just over 11.5 miles. Wind behind me made it easy. The ride home was a bit harder, the tailwind from the morning now against me. I experienced a couple of motons too, a VankPanzer (read Audi) who was clearly warning me of something based on the amount of tooting of his horn. All I was doing was taking the lane on a dual carriageway, ho hum.
Extended the ride home also, and heading along Chertsey Lane a human of the female sex felt the need to yell 'Oi Oi saveloy' in my ear as they passed. Looked like she'd eaten them all actually, and I think it was this pair on an evening drive.
fs.jpg

Just over 22 miles for the day.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After harvesting my onions and strawberries the wind had dropped. I went upstairs and got changed. I looked out of the window to see sun lit rain falling...

Get on with it you fanny!

So I did. And I'm glad. Out to Caldecote and over the 428 bridge
image.jpeg

The headwind wasn't so bad. I turned south for Bourn. Entering the village the road was shining with fresh rain. I eased back on the speed, it looked greasy. At the Lalbagh curry house the roads dried up.
At the other end of the village a farm is being 'housed' if that's the correct term. The orange barriers are the edge of the site. The view beyond was good...
image.jpeg

As I went along heading east there was a cloud away to my right, it was huge. It's colours went from black, through to steel blue, into grey and ending in yellow!

From Toft back to Hardwick the view either side was great
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There were all kinds of clouds about. A 10 mile ride full of spectacle!

Home to a bowl of strawberries.

https://www.strava.com/activities/637771590

Last edited:
Bit behind with this so have three short reports.

Sunday was a late afternoon 65k run out with some repeats of what passes for hills around here in a pretty strong wind;

https://www.strava.com/activities/636634368

Yesterday was a usual A10/cycle path commute but was fully loaded up with the big tail pack and full rucksack and a stiff headwind so a good training ride:smile:;

https://www.strava.com/activities/637162138

And today was the same route as yesterday but with a lighter load,easy out with a harder push on the cycle path;

https://www.strava.com/activities/638150473

Nearly 6,000kms up for the year(3k short:smile:,should have done a little extra)so catching up for the 12,000k goal for the year.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Half a dozen jelly babies are a poor substitute for my bowl of porridge.
However, if I were to fit a ride in before office hours this morning, that's all there was time for. After many days days of crap weather, and other jobs to do, it's stopped raining and blowing at last.

https://www.strava.com/activities/638191559

It's a rare occasion, but I stopped and took a photo this morning.
Looking down on Sabden, with the Nick O'Pendle climb going up the other side.
One day I'll pluck up the courage to have a go at it.

I forgot to unpause my watch after taking the photo, so Strava drew a straight line for me.

Sabden_zpsqpahxngd.jpe

Just 9.2 miles, with 933' climbed

JohnnyRoyal

image.jpeg
I have been on rest days for the last two days so have been on a couple of rides.
Yesterday I did a 31 miler to Southampton Airport and back. It was windy and hilly but enjoyed the ride and pleased that I completed it in 1hr 55mins.
Today I went on a shorter ride of only 12.5 miles, 47 mins. I did this ride to try and climb a couple of hills that I could not make on my hybrid.
So I set off on my new Giant Defy Disc, which I have had for about 3 weeks now and love it. I got to the bottom of the first climb and off I went. They are not long but are steep at the end. Got near the end and went to the bottom gear and my giant and legs did me proud! Very pleased at that point.
Quick ride along and down Portsdown Hill, near Portsmouth, and to the bottom of the next climb. Started off well but near the top I came to a stop!!!!
I was in the lowest gear but I had to make a descion of stopping or carrying on and come to a stand still and not unclip in time and fall over!!!
So I stopped which I was disappointed about. I will have to come back and try again.
Do you think I really need more speed near the top, however it will be hard to do this or get out of the saddle and go for it! Also should I loosen my clips to try and make a quick getaway if I start to fall off?

I will let you know when I complete it!

Happy riding to everyone

John

Old jon

Guru
Check the level of Hol Beck, it was a bit warm this morning, then over Crown Point Bridge and up I go. I suppose it is flat until I reach Roundhay Road, but then it starts. On to Oakwood Clock but once reached, turn left to avoid Boot Hill and its gravel. This way goes up Prince’s Avenue to the start of Street Lane, then turns right to drop to the Ring Road and that rather difficult ascent to Slaid Hill. Once at the top there is the whizz along Wike Ridge to enjoy, and a couple of fast downhill bits to count the potholes on. Someone was moving house at the southern end of East Keswick, almost a traffic jam there. Pass the village clock and up the hill towards Collingham.

I was definitely sticking to the route today, all 36.7 miles of it as I found out when I got home, so into Wetherby and out on the B 1224 in the direction of York. After passing the racecourse keep on a mile or more to the right turn for Walton, and go that way. The route switches about a bit, but eventually drops to the River Wharfe and that narrow, traffic infested bridge across it. The café on Main Street has now shut, saw the sign on the door as I turned left, and shortly after that I turned right on Clifford Road. Through Clifford and Bramham and on to Thorner. Needs quite a bit of effort here and there does that stretch of road, then an easy drop down Church Hill and through the village rests the legs a bit before the ride through Sandhills, as the name suggests, these are UP.

Skeltons Lane is a long flat straight, you have to have them somewhere, turn left onto Coal Road, gravel avoidance route, left on the Ring Road and right at the next roundabout to ride down the old A 64 through Seacroft village and turn right onto South Parkway. I suppose the far end is in Gipton ( ? ) but Amberton Road leads to Easterly Road, down that to Roundhay Road and follow the reverse of the morning’s route to reach home. Rather enjoyed that.

The meanderings of the day, looks a bit like a garden gnome

12072016.jpg

Top Bottom