Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User19783

The trouble of having too many bikes, there is always one bike I rarely ride, but when I do, I fall in love again, I really love this bike,
my old Litespeed only comes out when the sun is
:sun:

Only had a small window to get out, so I gave it 100% effort , 39km in 90 minutes.
IMAG0353.jpg

Old jon

Guru
A bit shy of thirty miles today, in enough rain to float a medium sized ship, or so it seemed. I wanted to explore alternative routes to and from Wetherby that avoid the newly gravelled stretch of the A 58 which finishes at the Ring Road.

The Wyke Beck Way was suggested by @NorthernDave, so off I went to the Oakwood Clock, past the tradesman’s entrance park gates and there, just opposite the new school, is the Wyke Beck Way. Over the road goes I, a squeeze through the ( not ) gate and there I went. Tarmac, smooth surface, I still was cautious. Easterly Road, also gravelled recently, was crossed and back on the Wyke Beck Way. Strange country for me, last time I was here it was all rough land. Most civilised now, my absence has done it a favour. I recognised North Parkway when I saw the now derelict Fellmonger’s Arms as was, one of the few pubs in Leeds I have never visited. Quite a pedal up North Parkway to the old A 64, a left turn onto the Ring Road and a right turn onto Coal Road followed shortly by another right turn onto Skelton’s Lane. In to Thorner and out by Milner Lane, a heave of the lungs up that sharp rise, and ride to East Rigton.

Turn right on Rigton Green and follow the wonderful stretch of road to Collingham, where I decided to turn left towards home. Along the A 58 all the way to the Wellington pub where I turned right for Shadwell, left for Slaid Hill and once there, left again on Roundhay Park Lane, cross the Ring Road and UP to the Canal Gardens, and down to the clock at Oakwood. As I rode back across Leeds towards home, the rain stopped. Shame, really, I was just getting used to it.

Garmins produce waterproof maps.

09072016.jpg

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
It was a tad too breezy to make my usual routes, west or east on exposed roads, enjoyable so I made up a localish loop around the forest before heading into the Test Valley for a little loop on some roads that I knew had some hedgerow shelter.

A rather warm New Forest was busier than I've seen for a while for cyclists with everything from families pottering around on mountain bikes to heads down boy racers & on many roads bikes outnumbers cars which is always good for slowing the traffic down a bit.

Thankfully it cooled down a little around lunchtime as I made my way around the Test Valley part of the route & my road choice was pretty spot for shelter although I did have a 5 or 6 mile stretch straight into the southwesterly breeze.

60.2 pleasant enough miles but I couldn't be arsed to do an extra 2 for another metric ton as I wanted to watch the F1 qualifying before finding out the result!

https://www.strava.com/activities/635074448

002.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Rich B. and Pete M. were back and Jules H. was in too. Pete called Pershore so we took to the fairly standard run by Strensham for Eckington and a close look at Bredon Hill. We looped closer to Little Comberton than is usual and soon we were sitting in the cafe in Pershore with coffee and cake.

Lots of time went by enjoyably while we sorted out the woes of the world. Time came for us to saddle up again and off we went to take an extra loop from Besford Bridge for Drakes Broughton and then another loop from Wadborough to Littleworth to take the run over Stonehall common.

We emerged onto the Upton Tri bike course and had the pleasure of watching riders of all shapes and sizes riding towards us. At the A38 crossing riders were coming from all directions. How were the marshalls coping? As we approached the HQ area runners were beginning to get going. Now it was just the standard run back by Hanley Swan to complete a nice wee social (45 miles) outing today.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We set off from Wembury this morning in a thick old sea mist that never really went. Hills from the off, luckily one is a great big sweeping downhill that then leads to the lights that take you to Elburton. Out through the rural lanes of Sherford (until the new town arrives....), across the A38 and into Plympton. This is a long decent to the Ridgeway, then on to the road that leads to Marsh Mills.
We headed for Saltram. Under the A38 the graffiti on the concrete is perfectly placed, but spraying statues ain't cool kids...
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Along the river Plym to the folly
image.jpeg

We then rode across the old railway bridge at Laira which has now been converted to a cycle bridge, very nice too
image.jpeg

On through Cattedown, past the aquarium, over the lifting bridge (just before the beepers) and on to the Barbican
image.jpeg

We stopped for a cup of tea before heading up to the Hoe. It was a bit claggy up there....
image.jpeg

It was a bit damp and chilly so we moved on to the Royal William Yard. We stopped and had a cheap a lunch as possible at Hugh Fearnley Whittingstalls place. It did taste good!
image.jpeg

The buildings down there are very photogenic, and so is the new tandem...
image.jpeg

Unfortunately we've already named him Willy, but Clarence would have suited.

We retraced our path back to the cycle bridge and headed for Jo's sisters house in Oreston (derived from Whores Town) we had a quick brew then went down past Radford Park, up to Hooe and a turn to Jennycliff. I'd have like to have taken pics but it was coming in thick now. The climb up to Staddon Heights is fairly steep and sinuous. It was fine, bottom gear and find a rythm. We've taken it up some hills this weekend!
Once in the top the fog was blowing through at a speed, and visibility was sketchy...

image.jpeg

A few more lumps n bumps brought us home.
27.9 miles with 1600 feet of up. A long way from Cambridgeshire!
We love the new bike.
https://www.strava.com/activities/635219235

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
I only had a small window of opportunity to get a ride in today as I had an appointment first thing then collecting Buck Jr from music centre at 12 and then back there for 1 for their end of term concert before heading up to another concert tonight at 6:30 <phew>

I'd bumped into my neighbour last night and said I was going to try and get a ride in at 10am if he was interested. Yes! The deal was done and the agreement was "whatever the weather!"

It was quite pleasant this morning but sure enough on the way back home at 9:45 the heavens opened and I'll be honest, if it was just me I am sure I would have cried off the ride but, a deal is a deal and so, bang on 10, we both emerged into the rain ready for a ride out.

The forecast said 35-38mph winds and heavy rain. Why is it they get the forecast right when it is poor weather? Despite the weather we set off and within 100m I was already feeling a tad wet (I don't like the boil in the bag jackets so just had my gilet atop my long sleeve jersey)

Up out of the village and then to climb my nemesis which is known on Strava as "Steep!" I'm not sure if its so early in the ride that makes me dislike it but regardless it has to be climbed. Once on the top, we were really exposed to the wind and the rain but the company distracted both of us from the elements and onwards we road over the crossroads to Hepworth and Hade Edge before turning left and then down past Winscar reservoir and then up through Carlecotes over the Whams Road and on towards Millhouse Green.

We then took a left and headed up the drag towards Royds Hill. I don't know if the weather was making my Garmin play up but it certainly isn't a 1% incline - more like 5-11%. Technical hitches aside, the rain had now stopped and the wind was still with us but was helping to dry us off!

Once up to the viewing platform we headed left and rode on the water logged roads - a couple of deep puddles got us wet again but knowing we were on our way home, it didn't matter too much.

The usual return from here getting home at 11:30 just in time for a shower before heading up to pick up Buck Jr!!

This week also had me completing my first year as a road cyclist with 1500 miles ridden and smiles all round.

Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 16.55.00.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/634948608

18.3 miles and 1,010ft of climbing

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Up early this morning, after having a word with myself about getting a ride in despite the forecast.
Out of the door just after 7.30am and after a breeze around local roads, up to Scholes via Leeds Road. from there to Barwick, turning right onto Long Lane for the lumpy but mainly downhill route to Garforth. From there onto the A642 for the climb up to the M1 roundabout and then on to Aberford, then a right and under the A1(M) and the climb up the hill and on to Lotherton Gates.
More familiar ground on the road to Sherburn, taking the Saxton turning and through the village, nearly becoming a bonnet adornment for a Mercedes driver who was that busy pulling off his drive he didn't look to see if anyone was actually using the road...:dry:
From there it was on to Barkston Ash, then Church Fenton and the road round the airfield towards Ryther, where Mondeo Man did a MGIF on a corner despite two horse riders being less than 200 yards ahead, so I caught up with him again before he'd got past them...:dry:
On down the single track roas between fields of cereal crops, making good use of a field entrance to let a truck past (how busy was it on here today?!?) and into Ryther. Through the village and on towards Cawood, almost being tempted into the Lakeside kitchen by the waft of bacon. I resisted and pushed on into the village and over the swing bridge, then took the road to Kelfield and then Riccall where I picked up NCN R65, The Solar Cycle for a straightforward run into York.
Just before York I was passed by what looked like a family ride heading the other way, with about 10 people on various bikes / BSOs - the 'leader' pointed me out in case the others hadn't seen me - "Cyclist" :laugh:
Up the the P&R at Askham Bar from where I had a bit of sustenance and txtd Mrs ND an update, with 31 miles completed.
"It's just started drizzling here" was the reply.
I'd avoided anything more than a few spits and spots of rain up to this point, however that message was to change that :rolleyes:
I'd barely gone a mile and the rain started. I toughed it out for a while, as us Northerners do, but as it got heavier I stopped by the college at Askham Bryan to put my 'showerproof' jacket on. The ride, and the rain, continued through rolling countryside and by the village of Helaugh I was flagging a bit, so broke open the Haribo.
On through Wighill and past Thorp Arch Trading Estate, then down through Walton and onto Church Causeway where I was really feeling it so had another energy bar.
Into Thorp Arch village and with the rain and my legs getting heavier I abandoned plans for an metric century and decided I'd make do with the imperial half today.
Over the bridge and up into Boston Spa, pausing momentarily for an ambulance to pass on blue lights, then down to Clifford past the frying up but not yet open chippy and down the hill to Bramham. Didn't even consider tackling Town Hill today, so cycled up to the bridge over the A1(M) and the road towards Thorner.
Here the rain finally started to abate and as I took the right onto Thorner Lane (avoiding the dip at Wothersome) it looked like the sun was finally going to burn through, so I stopped to take off my jacket.
Through the dip, getting scalped on the climb up the other side by a bloke at least 20 years older than me on his bike :cry: and on towards Milner Lane, where it started to rain again...:rain:
Well, I wasn't stopping again, so down the hill and into Thorner, for a steady slog along Main Street and then the climb up Van Zyl Hill.
Blimey this was hard work today and just to cap off a perfect morning there was a loud "TWANG" just before the top of the hill as one of the spokes in the front wheel let go :cursing:
Sorted that out of the way with a roadside repair and then a steady run home via Skeltons Lane and Coal Road into the rain, wind and plagues of locusts (technically only two of those are true, but I wouldn't have been at all surprised if the third hadn't happened as well).

53.66 miles (85.37km) in 3h 48m at an average of 14.1 mph, with 1,696ft climbed. That's my imperial half century for the month (which is good), but I'm really struggling at the moment and I can't think why. :tired: On a positive note there were a good number of cyclists out today, despite the weather.
Maybe next weekend will be better.

09072016.jpg

There are no pics uploaded from todays ride, as my phone is currently not playing ball.
Neither was my Garmin, which despite me pressing "end ride" followed by "Yes" when asked if I wanted to upload didn't display my ride via Connect, although it did subsequently appear when I plugged it into my PC.
I think I'll have to class today as one of those days... :banghead::surrender:

Now to take the bike to the shop to get the wheel sorted. :rolleyes:

https://www.strava.com/activities/635380526/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1468084258

It was the beggars fair, in Romsey today.

The weather held out very nicely.

image.jpeg

Music.

image.jpeg

Food, a spectacular hotdog, made with minted lamb, caramelised onions, courgette, and skin on fries.:hungry:

image.jpeg

A really good Folk / Rock band ( think Fairport Convention, on acid )

image.jpeg

People with bells on their hats ( Lepers I think).

image.jpeg

These guys kept telling everyone to "swing their partners", so it was a swingers party then?:eek:.

A nice day, and cracking atmosphere:thumbsup:.

The trouble of having too many bikes, there is always one bike I rarely ride, but when I do, I fall in love again, I really love this bike,
my old Litespeed only comes out when the sun is
:sun:

Only had a small window to get out, so I gave it 100% effort , 39km in 90 minutes. View attachment 134409

Now that I really like :thumbsup: carbon or Alu ? Ooooo time for some internet searching and another bike added to the list :banghead: this decision is getting harder . I do like that though @User19783

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Cyclechat Metric Century a Month Challenge time again. 104.1km done today with my audaxing buddy @jembullo on the "Teddy Bears' Picnic" audax from Bushley (near Tewkesbury). After 3 weeks out with a virus, followed by a week's cycling in Holland without a hill that would have moved the bubble in a spirit level, I was starting to worry that I'd crumble at the first sight of a hill and feel as weak as Tim Peake after 3 months in space. Needn't have worried. 975 metres of climbing accomplished without incident, and got round just 10 minutes slower than last year.
Met some familiar faces, and got this shot of Jem climbing up above Flaxley, just as a couple of the usual suspects turned up:
178 Jem near Flaxley.JPG

The first rest stop, after the biggest climb, was at the Dean Heritage Centre at Soudley in the Forest of Dean, where I wolfed down a big mug of coffee and a nice gloopy chunk of ginger cake on the terrace:
179 Dean Heritage Centre.JPG

Then we had to climb back out of the hollow we were in and back up to Mitcheldean, and onwards via a lumpy route to our second refreshment stop at the Weston's Cider Mill at Much Marcle in Herefordshire:
180 Westons Cider Mill.JPG

Jem returned the favour and got this action shot of me on the way back through Worcestershire towards Tewkesbury:
181 Me on Teddy Bears Picnic audax.JPG

Ended up with another one of these at the finishing line to add to my collection:
183.JPG

(Basically just the equivalent of a gold star and a "well done" from the teacher, but I've never been able to throw one away yet!)
In case you were wondering, yes we were both wearing the same shirt (Me looking unaccountably stern, yet again):
182.JPG

A brilliant ride today. Great quiet lanes and mostly cycling two abreast, chatting as we went. A very friendly bunch doing the ride today, too. Thanks for putting up with my speed, Jem. Nice to ride with you again. You can be my wingman anytime.
I have a feeling I'm going to ache tomorrow. I'll worry about that in the morning, though. Cheers, Donger.

Mrs M

Guru
Cyclechat Metric Century a Month Challenge time again. 104.1km done today with my audaxing buddy @jembullo on the "Teddy Bears' Picnic" audax from Bushley (near Tewkesbury). After 3 weeks out with a virus, followed by a week's cycling in Holland without a hill that would have moved the bubble in a spirit level, I was starting to worry that I'd crumble at the first sight of a hill and feel as weak as Tim Peake after 3 months in space. Needn't have worried. 975 metres of climbing accomplished without incident, and got round just 10 minutes slower than last year.
Met some familiar faces, and got this shot of Jem climbing up above Flaxley, just as a couple of the usual suspects turned up:
View attachment 134470
The first rest stop, after the biggest climb, was at the Dean Heritage Centre at Soudley in the Forest of Dean, where I wolfed down a big mug of coffee and a nice gloopy chunk of ginger cake on the terrace:
View attachment 134471
Then we had to climb back out of the hollow we were in and back up to Mitcheldean, and onwards via a lumpy route to our second refreshment stop at the Weston's Cider Mill at Much Marcle in Herefordshire:
View attachment 134472
Jem returned the favour and got this action shot of me on the way back through Worcestershire towards Tewkesbury:
View attachment 134473
Ended up with another one of these at the finishing line to add to my collection:
View attachment 134475
(Basically just the equivalent of a gold star and a "well done" from the teacher, but I've never been able to throw one away yet!)
In case you were wondering, yes we were both wearing the same shirt (Me looking unaccountably stern, yet again):
View attachment 134474
A brilliant ride today. Great quiet lanes and mostly cycling two abreast, chatting as we went. A very friendly bunch doing the ride today, too. Thanks for putting up with my speed, Jem. Nice to ride with you again. You can be my wingman anytime.
I have a feeling I'm going to ache tomorrow. I'll worry about that in the morning, though. Cheers, Donger.
Magic, well done :smile:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I rode from London to Bristol solo yesterday into a constant headwind which was very draining. I had a puncture in 1st 5 miles and had to stop for a few rests/break from the wind. I copied a new route I found online and was really liking it but I somehow lost my route notes from my jersey at Bramley Green so had to find my was to the A4 for the rest of the way. Forgot to take any pics but wind aside a good long day in the saddle to prep me for a week of welsh hills. 144 miles for the day, full body ache, beer, Indian takeaway, result.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/9867045

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Saturday club ride a nice loop around part of Essex. 9 of us set of at 9am for a little loop in Essex, one guy punctured at Toot hill, but we where quickly under way again, I left the group in Epping to cycle to Redbridge cycle centre, Our club was organizing the racing there, My other half had got there a bit earlier as she helps with the signing on. She also took the camera, So when i got there i could take a few pics,500+ photos:laugh:. A great way to spend a Saturday.
https://www.strava.com/activities/635352374
group.jpg
group1.jpg
group2.jpg

Firestorm

Veteran
I started a thread a few weeks ago about attempting a ride which was way over what I had done before.
well today was that free day.
got out just before 8 and within a couple of miles realised that not only was it a breezy as the met office had predicted but it would be a headwind on the way home. So I kept the destination I had in mind, but cut a few of the loops out.
Maldon promenade park at 32 mile

WP_20160710_001.jpg

the head wind home took it out of me and the wasp sting on the inside of my mouth about 10 miles from home just before it started to rain made the last leg harder than it could have been.
Out: southend, wakering, Stambridge, hullbridge, battlesbridge Woodham mortimer,Maldon
Back: Maldon Mundon Latchingdon , Cold norton, Woodham ferrers, battlesbridge , Hullbridge, stambridge, Wakering , Southend
63.2 miles 4.45 13.3 mph 1178ft of essex bumps

Overall quite pleased with myself , pariculary now the swollem lip has now gone down

Top Bottom