Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Mendip transmitter audax from Bath today, advertised at 100 km but actually more like 110. Early start time for this one means no trains, so why not ride to the start? (0610 wake up alarm on a Sunday - madness)

Lovely but tough ride; three major climbs (including the brutal Blagdon hill), assorted other lumpyness, and a real sting in the tail getting back up to the ride HQ at Combe Down. Some wonderfully fast descents as well.

The weather played nice all day (the onlt shower passed over while I was inside waiting for the start), so why not ride back home again to make it a century?

Legs now utterly ruined - can feel quite clearly how far behind I am in the mileage this year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/636450752

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
IM motivating myself to get out , its not going well so far ...........

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
This mornings ride with my irregular companion was called off since it was pouring with rain and blowing a gale. After watching the F1 the weather had turned better, and it was sunny, though the wind was still having a good blow. Dragged myself out one of my usual routes out to Windlesham and back, 26 miles and very warm indeed.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Probably the shortest ride, I've reported on, but hey they all count don't they?

In complete contrast to the forecast the sun was out, so I decided to ride the road bike down to get the front wheel spoke replaced, then walk up home.
Not only would this give me a bit of exercise in the sunshine, but I could have another go on the easterly section of the Cycle Super Highway (CSH).
My report on what I found is on this thread https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/bradford-cycle-lane.180322/page-13

Here is a pic I took before setting off:
IMG_20160710_100622699.jpg

Notice the dye from my new Team GB gloves on the white bar tape? :cursing:

A leisurely ride, almost all of it downhill and on off road cycle only infrastructure, or quiet back streets away from the main roads.
1.99 miles in 13m 10s at an average speed of 9.1mph with 98ft of descent. The tardy time is probably due to stopping to take pics for the above thread and waiting at lights on the CSH to cross proper roads. Sunday mornings don't get any easier do they?

10072016.jpg

The walk home took half an hour, with 98ft of ascent ;)
Then when I got home I cleaned and mickeled the hybrid in the glorious sunshine, before watching the F1.

Back from Cumbria, where I did two rides totalling 60.6 miles but with a total of 6604 feet of climbing

Went to Sonning, weather was drizzly through most of the early part and some of the return.

However dry by the end and sunny this afternoon when not riding

Went to Sonning via Windsor Waltham and Twyford, on the Way back we veered off and went along Drift Road and through the Park

refuellled by bacon sandwich at the halfway mark, it was nice to do a more normal ride, without those gut-wrenching climbs of the lakes

54.03 miles @ 16.6 mph with a 'mere' 1266 feet climbed
https://www.strava.com/activities/636269252/

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The weather man was promising 30°C in the afternoon today, so I got up and left 'early' (0730:ohmy:)

My target was the Lac de Saint Pardoux, 30km north of Limoges.

As I was cycling towards St-Martin-de-Jussac, a cyclist appeared to my left and said "Bonjour, Anglais?"

I think it was the mudguards and the rear rack bag that gave it away :laugh:. We chatted in a mixture of languages for a while, I found out that he lives not far from me and he knows my neighbour across the road (I don't think there's anyone within 20k who doesn't know him :rolleyes:). He asked me how old an was and when I said 63, he said "I'm 69, I'm an old man". Apparently he has stopped racing and now just cycles for pleasure, although he is still a member of the Rochechouart Cycling club. At this point we were approaching a hill (just outside of St Brice, about where the '12' is on the route below) which I have never been too impressed with, I generally choose the easiest gear and struggle my way up. He just stood on the pedals and left me, continuing like that all the way up and into the distance :ohmy::ohmy:

Anyway, continuing on the Saint Gence, where a small diversion let me take this picture of the church.

View attachment 134300

Somewhat further on, I arrived at Nieul, where I had something to eat in the Parc du Chateau

View attachment 134301

Getting closer to my destination, I came across this fortified church in Compreignac

View attachment 134302

Finally arriving at the lake, I was surprised to see it so empty, after all, it is July and the French do seem addicted to sand and water when on their holidays.

View attachment 134303

The strange poles are solar powered lights:wacko:

After half an hour I decided to continue my journey and return via a different route. This took me first of all over a bridge crossing a bit of the lake, near the village of Saint Pardoux.

View attachment 134304

The village itself is quite small and has a memorial to the dead of the First World War, this one in the form of a statue of a soldier.
View attachment 134305

Also managed to catch a swallow(?) in flight at the same time ^_^

It was about 11:00 now and was getting quite hot, so this was very welcome.

View attachment 134306

For some reason I've always thought of farmers as very untidy, but this one seems to have a 'neat' fetish.

View attachment 134307

Passing through Nantiat, I couldn't resist taking a picture of the railway, Doctor Beeching would have had a field day over here; :laugh:

View attachment 134308

Got home at about 13:30 - 106km in 5 hours - here's the route

View attachment 134309

Total Ascent 1274m :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

The weather man was wrong - it was 'only' 28° when I got home :whistle:
Love the OCD farmer photo... :laugh:

Gareth C

Veteran
During the industrial revolution, the North Pennines were a busy site of mining, mineral extraction, smelting and steel production. This is seen on the ground today through the old mines, the spoil heaps, and in particular, a network of old railway lines and waggon ways that are now often bike routes.

Liz was exhibiting today at “Wool on The Wall” at Greenhead, so I went to help unload her stuff, then took the chance to ride home. After a bit of road work to get to Haltwhistle, the route 68 is joined, which is the former railway line through the South Tyne valley to Alston.

wp_20160710_09_14_23_pro.jpg

There was the spectacular Lamely Viaduct, where I met an ex miner taking his dog for a walk. We had a great chat, and he explained why the route is so tortuous at the end of the viaduct: the landowner doesn’t want people riding along the track by his house…

wp_20160710_09_33_32_pro.jpg

Eventually the route is regained, with great views back to the viaduct.

wp_20160710_09_51_24_pro.jpg

Some road work eventually brings me into Alston for a second breakfast, and then out along the Weardale road towards Nent Head. At Nent Hall I take the back road (which is a bit lumpy), but is quieter and allows access to a “public way” up the hill towards Allenheads. Unfortunately the public way is unrideable, but a good chance for a rest and a push.

wp_20160710_12_11_29_pro.jpg

When the road is joined, there is a very fast (downhill and tailwind) trip into Allenheads. I’m feeling good, so press on up the monster climb of the coast-to-coast cycle route. This then leads onto the fast descent to Rookhope (that I had fought in the opposite direction last week).

Time for a bit of exploring. The coast-to-coast off-road option climbs out of Rookhope on the course of a cable-pulled railway, with a steam powered engine at the top hauling wagons out of the valley. On the climb, the views are wonderful.

wp_20160710_13_25_28_pro.jpg

wp_20160710_13_41_40_pro.jpg

At the top, there are ruins and an information plaque.

wp_20160710_13_42_30_pro.jpg

Now I’m up on the moors of north Weardale, and the going is fast. The coast-to-coast and Waskerley Way follow the old waggon way; I take a coke and crisps at the Park Head Cafe, then on towards Waskerley. On the Waskerley Way at Red House my route was to head off towards home. However, the owner had illegally blocked the cycle route at NZ 064 454, with barbed wire around the gates and locks. Rather than push a point, I decided to continue on the Waskerley Way and double back from NZ 068 465. This then lead me on quiet back roads to cross the A68 and a fast run to Satley. At this point the direction of the route was now into a monumental headwind, which was not appreciated late in the day.

The last part was also “a bit lumpy” but at least beautiful scenery and plenty of wild roses.

wp_20160710_15_15_41_pro.jpg

From Waterhouses, it’s onto the last waggon way of the day, climbing through the woods to Billy Row, then a quick spin along local roads before landing home. Just before the roundabout on the A68 the mile-o-meter clicked past 100km.

wp_20160710_16_22_23_pro.jpg

A good day out, but tiring with all the hills and the tailwind turning into a headwind towards the end!

screen-shot-2016-07-10-at-19-57-16.png

Strava data.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
During the industrial revolution, the North Pennines were a busy site of mining, mineral extraction, smelting and steel production. This is seen on the ground today through the old mines, the spoil heaps, and in particular, a network of old railway lines and waggon ways that are now often bike routes.

Liz was exhibiting today at “Wool on The Wall” at Greenhead, so I went to help unload her stuff, then took the chance to ride home. After a bit of road work to get to Haltwhistle, the route 68 is joined, which is the former railway line through the South Tyne valley to Alston.

wp_20160710_09_14_23_pro.jpg

There was the spectacular Lamely Viaduct, where I met an ex miner taking his dog for a walk. We had a great chat, and he explained why the route is so tortuous at the end of the viaduct: the landowner doesn’t want people riding along the track by his house…

wp_20160710_09_33_32_pro.jpg

Eventually the route is regained, with great views back to the viaduct.

wp_20160710_09_51_24_pro.jpg

Some road work eventually brings me into Alston for a second breakfast, and then out along the Weardale road towards Nent Head. At Nent Hall I take the back road (which is a bit lumpy), but is quieter and allows access to a “public way” up the hill towards Allenheads. Unfortunately the public way is unrideable, but a good chance for a rest and a push.

wp_20160710_12_11_29_pro.jpg

When the road is joined, there is a very fast (downhill and tailwind) trip into Allenheads. I’m feeling good, so press on up the monster climb of the coast-to-coast cycle route. This then leads onto the fast descent to Rookhope (that I had fought in the opposite direction last week).

Time for a bit of exploring. The coast-to-coast off-road option climbs out of Rookhope on the course of a cable-pulled railway, with a steam powered engine at the top hauling wagons out of the valley. On the climb, the views are wonderful.

wp_20160710_13_25_28_pro.jpg

wp_20160710_13_41_40_pro.jpg

At the top, there are ruins and an information plaque.

wp_20160710_13_42_30_pro.jpg

Now I’m up on the moors of north Weardale, and the going is fast. The coast-to-coast and Waskerley Way follow the old waggon way; I take a coke and crisps at the Park Head Cafe, then on towards Waskerley. On the Waskerley Way at Red House my route was to head off towards home. However, the owner had illegally blocked the cycle route at NZ 064 454, with barbed wire around the gates and locks. Rather than push a point, I decided to continue on the Waskerley Way and double back from NZ 068 465. This then lead me on quiet back roads to cross the A68 and a fast run to Satley. At this point the direction of the route was now into a monumental headwind, which was not appreciated late in the day.

The last part was also “a bit lumpy” but at least beautiful scenery and plenty of wild roses.

wp_20160710_15_15_41_pro.jpg

From Waterhouses, it’s onto the last waggon way of the day, climbing through the woods to Billy Row, then a quick spin along local roads before landing home. Just before the roundabout on the A68 the mile-o-meter clicked past 100km.

wp_20160710_16_22_23_pro.jpg

A good day out, but tiring with all the hills and the tailwind turning into a headwind towards the end!

screen-shot-2016-07-10-at-19-57-16.png

Strava data.

My goodness that is a colourful bike !

jembullo

It was an absolute pleasure Andy, it was such a great ride, my shout for coffee and cake on the next one.
Cyclechat Metric Century a Month Challenge time again. 104.1km done today with my audaxing buddy @jembullo on the "Teddy Bears' Picnic" audax from Bushley (near Tewkesbury). After 3 weeks out with a virus, followed by a week's cycling in Holland without a hill that would have moved the bubble in a spirit level, I was starting to worry that I'd crumble at the first sight of a hill and feel as weak as Tim Peake after 3 months in space. Needn't have worried. 975 metres of climbing accomplished without incident, and got round just 10 minutes slower than last year.
Met some familiar faces, and got this shot of Jem climbing up above Flaxley, just as a couple of the usual suspects turned up:
View attachment 134470
The first rest stop, after the biggest climb, was at the Dean Heritage Centre at Soudley in the Forest of Dean, where I wolfed down a big mug of coffee and a nice gloopy chunk of ginger cake on the terrace:
View attachment 134471
Then we had to climb back out of the hollow we were in and back up to Mitcheldean, and onwards via a lumpy route to our second refreshment stop at the Weston's Cider Mill at Much Marcle in Herefordshire:
View attachment 134472
Jem returned the favour and got this action shot of me on the way back through Worcestershire towards Tewkesbury:
View attachment 134473
Ended up with another one of these at the finishing line to add to my collection:
View attachment 134475
(Basically just the equivalent of a gold star and a "well done" from the teacher, but I've never been able to throw one away yet!)
In case you were wondering, yes we were both wearing the same shirt (Me looking unaccountably stern, yet again):
View attachment 134474
A brilliant ride today. Great quiet lanes and mostly cycling two abreast, chatting as we went. A very friendly bunch doing the ride today, too. Thanks for putting up with my speed, Jem. Nice to ride with you again. You can be my wingman anytime.
I have a feeling I'm going to ache tomorrow. I'll worry about that in the morning, though. Cheers, Donger.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
In the grand scheme of things, my 23 miles are nowt...but for some reason, I thoroughly enjoyed them this afternoon, despite a blowy wind.
Just got on the drops on the headwind section (I suspect it was more a side/head wind ) and seemed to cope with it very well, made the turn and got a lovely good few miles of motoring along with the tailwind.
I havn;t got many miles in lately for a multitude of reasons, perhaps that's why I felt quite good.
Buzzing tonight...

Katherine

Guru
:smile:A rather hilly ride up and down through the spectacular Lancashire countryside with Salford CC. Lots of endorphins. After a while I even enjoyed the climbs as much as the exillerating descents  . Great cafe stop at Edenfield. There is absolutely no way I could have attempted those climbs and distance on my own. We got back to Swinton after 46 miles so I carried on to make a metric century as it's exactly 8 weeks until I do my first 100 mile bike ride.
Swinton, Kearsley, Whitefield, Hollins, Heywood, Edenfield, Ramsbottom, Walshaw, Radcliffe, then Kearsley, Swinton. I went on through Walkden and Astley, as far as Leigh to add the extra miles. Total of 63.8 miles.

IMG_20160710_120955563.jpg

It rained on the way home but I was hot enough not to want a jacket on, so I was rather wet for a while but had dried out by the time I got home.

Last edited:
Top Bottom