Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
@derrick, I havent been in the Moon Under Age for years now. Has it changed at all? Spent many a night when I was younger in there until we all started going up to the city for drinks.
It's a great pub, service and food always good, never seen any trouble in there, We are in the process of moving house so we are closer to it.:okay:

Old jon

Guru
Definitely drizzly out there this morning, enough to wet the tarmac. By the time I was going out, it had stopped, though more was forecast. I think the bike could navigate itself around Holbeck by now, I would still have to pedal. Across Crown Point Bridge and along all those Rs to the Clock at Oakwood, past the unused gates of the park and ‘Oh Dear!’ Boot Hill has been resurfaced. With that horrible pea sized gravel. It has filled a few of the road drains, it is at least 50mm deep at the road edges and riding is a bit like riding in mud but with less directional control. I got about half way up, gave up and walked up to the Ring Road. It might have calmed down in a couple of weeks.

Once back on the bike, along the A 58 to Red Hall Lane, turn right. On to Skeltons Lane and left at the end to Thorner. At the bottom of Church Hill a tractor towing a ginormous trailer was disputing the right of way with a bus. The bus got away first and I followed, considerably slower, up the hill and along the road to Bramhope.

Turn right there to take the road to Aberford, cross the beck there and turn right again, Barwick in Elmet in sight. Almost. About now, I realised I was not going to enjoy my usual big grin whizz down Boot Hill. Through Scholes, across the old, sorry, dismantled railway and on to the A 64. Less than a mile, turn right onto Thorner Lane and then left onto Skeltons Lane again. At the junction with Coal Road, turn left onto that and wander around Seacroft ( I lived there about 50 years ago ) until I found North Parkway, Kentmere Avenue, South Parkway and Amberton Road, which took me to Easterly Road and the wander back along Roundhay Road. Totally amazed that I only made one bad turn after all this time away. My Garmin tells me I did 31.31 miles today, had to report to two decimal places for that one, and my legs tend to agree. I am going to miss Boot Hill though.

There should be rain spots on this map.

08072016.jpg

18.61 miles this evening, 1 hour 15 mins, average 14.7 bringing weeks total to 81 miles. Just around Warton and Silverdale looping up Warton Crag road to get some more hill work in. Took some snaps off the beaten track at Jenny Browns Point. The day one disc never disappoints and although the hills are hard work it's immensely satisfying to do it without gears

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Shameless selfie

image.jpeg

Kids play area and farm shop/cafe next to Gibraltar farm at Jenny's point

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Rain was forecast overnight and early this morning, so I warned our lass that I would be going out late and might not got back until after she has gone to cubs. Anyway got up before she went to work, yes it was gloomy and wet. By 10 it had brightened up so I was out and away.

Blimey it was hard work, the wind was a real workout and for the first 30 miles or so I was chased by very dark clouds, fortunately it didn't rain and they eventually disappeared leaving a behind white fluffy clouds, a lot of wind, but it was very very warm. At 40 something miles I stopped and bought a cheese and onion slice, pack of flapjacks and a couple of cans of coke. Rode another 5 miles and stopped at a bench to scoff the slice a couple of the flapjacks and a can of coke.

Stopped again around 75 miles and drank the second coke and had to stop again at mile 85ish to get more water, By the time I get into Leicester and Abbey Park I was on 97 miles, a few laps around the park took it to 100 miles and then I headed home.

Took this picture near Swinford - I know the weather this year has been strange, but surely it hasn't been this bad has it?

WP_20160708_14_17_04_Pro.jpg

By the time I got home I had done 106 miles and was pretty tired, luckily the weather looks really crap tomorrow so I will force myself to have a rest :whistle:

https://www.strava.com/activities/634258725/segments/15491929557

Alex H

Legendary Member
The weather man was promising 30°C in the afternoon today, so I got up and left 'early' (0730:ohmy:)

My target was the Lac de Saint Pardoux, 30km north of Limoges.

As I was cycling towards St-Martin-de-Jussac, a cyclist appeared to my left and said "Bonjour, Anglais?"

I think it was the mudguards and the rear rack bag that gave it away :laugh:. We chatted in a mixture of languages for a while, I found out that he lives not far from me and he knows my neighbour across the road (I don't think there's anyone within 20k who doesn't know him :rolleyes:). He asked me how old an was and when I said 63, he said "I'm 69, I'm an old man". Apparently he has stopped racing and now just cycles for pleasure, although he is still a member of the Rochechouart Cycling club. At this point we were approaching a hill (just outside of St Brice, about where the '12' is on the route below) which I have never been too impressed with, I generally choose the easiest gear and struggle my way up. He just stood on the pedals and left me, continuing like that all the way up and into the distance :ohmy::ohmy:

Anyway, continuing on the Saint Gence, where a small diversion let me take this picture of the church.

P7080236.jpg

Somewhat further on, I arrived at Nieul, where I had something to eat in the Parc du Chateau

P7080237.jpg

Getting closer to my destination, I came across this fortified church in Compreignac

P7080238.jpg

Finally arriving at the lake, I was surprised to see it so empty, after all, it is July and the French do seem addicted to sand and water when on their holidays.

P7080239.jpg

The strange poles are solar powered lights:wacko:

After half an hour I decided to continue my journey and return via a different route. This took me first of all over a bridge crossing a bit of the lake, near the village of Saint Pardoux.

P7080244.jpg

The village itself is quite small and has a memorial to the dead of the First World War, this one in the form of a statue of a soldier.
P7080246.jpg

Also managed to catch a swallow(?) in flight at the same time ^_^

It was about 11:00 now and was getting quite hot, so this was very welcome.

P7080248.jpg

For some reason I've always thought of farmers as very untidy, but this one seems to have a 'neat' fetish.

P7080249.jpg

Passing through Nantiat, I couldn't resist taking a picture of the railway, Doctor Beeching would have had a field day over here; :laugh:

P7080250.jpg

Got home at about 13:30 - 106km in 5 hours - here's the route

Screenshot from 2016-07-08 16:31:32.png

Total Ascent 1274m :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

The weather man was wrong - it was 'only' 28° when I got home :whistle:

Last edited:
The weather man was promising 30°C in the afternoon today, so I got up and left 'early' (0730:ohmy:)

My target was the Lac de Saint Pardoux, 30km north of Limoges.

As I was cycling towards St-Martin-de-Jussac, a cyclist appeared to my left and said "Bonjour, Anglais?"

I think it was the mudguards and the rear rack bag that gave it away :laugh:. We chatted in a mixture of languages for a while, I found out that he lives not far from me and he knows my neighbour across the road (I don't think there's anyone within 20k who doesn't know him :rolleyes:). He asked me how old an was and when I said 63, he said "I'm 69, I'm an old man". Apparently he has stopped racing and now just cycles for pleasure, although he is still a member of the Rochechouart Cycling club. At this point we were approaching a hill (just outside of St Brice, about where the '12' is on the route below) which I have never been too impressed with, I generally choose the easiest gear and struggle my way up. He just stood on the pedals and left me, continuing like that all the way up and into the distance :ohmy::ohmy:

Anyway, continuing on the Saint Gence, where a small diversion let me take this picture of the church.

View attachment 134300

Somewhat further on, I arrived at Nieul, where I had something to eat in the Parc du Chateau

View attachment 134301

Getting closer to my destination, I came across this fortified church in Compreignac

View attachment 134302

Finally arriving at the lake, I was surprised to see it so empty, after all, it is July and the French do seem addicted to sand and water when on their holidays.

View attachment 134303

The strange poles are solar powered lights:wacko:

After half an hour I decided to continue my journey and return via a different route. This took me first of all over a bridge crossing a bit of the lake, near the village of Saint Pardoux.

View attachment 134304

The village itself is quite small and has a memorial to the dead of the First World War, this one in the form of a statue of a soldier.
View attachment 134305

Also managed to catch a swallow(?) in flight at the same time ^_^

It was about 11:00 now and was getting quite hot, so this was very welcome.

View attachment 134306

For some reason I've always thought of farmers as very untidy, but this one seems to have a 'neat' fetish.

View attachment 134307

Passing through Nantiat, I couldn't resist taking a picture of the railway, Doctor Beeching would have had a field day over here; :laugh:

View attachment 134308

Got home at about 13:30 - 106km in 5 hours - here's the route

View attachment 134309

Total Ascent 1274m :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

The weather man was wrong - it was 'only' 28° when I got home :whistle:

I hope I'm doing that mileage in that time at 63 :okay::notworthy:

BSRU

A Human Being
Got out for a lumpy 85km this morning with 1350m of going up, 15.9m per km(84ft per mile):sweat:. The first 15km was at 20m per km(105ft per mile):sweat::sweat: but there was then a nice 7km of decent^_^.
Very overcast with a strong wind, looked like it might rain but it didn't, the sun even made a brief appearance a couple of times:sun:.
First time out in my newly arrived tights, my previous ones, Campagnolo Heritage 3/4 bibs were excellent but the pad was getting too thin, quite painful in a certain area on the last ride:blush:. Difficult buying new ones as cycle clothing companies do not seem to cater for cyclists like me, I do not want to wear shorts, I want to have my legs covered to protect them from the sun. Ended up buying some Skins tights, luckily in a sale with 50 quid off:okay:, very nice tights and comfy pad^_^.
A good ride up Hackpen Hill, a hill a used to avoid because of the 15%+ part, now up as quickly as usual but not struggling:smile:, instead of dying during the last few hundred metres now changing down and sprinting it:okay:.

The sun come out from behind the clouds a few times:hello:.
C0006(2).png

Some nice local villages.
C0001(1).png
C0003(3).png

A short 10% hill seemed quite easy after going up a few 15+% hills:smile:
C0002(2).png

Started recovery with some TTD fruit scones^_^ and some home made prawn mayo sandwiches^_^.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another short circuit on the hybrid - Friday night rush hour is no time to be mixing it with certain elements of the traffic around here...

If you read yesterdays report you might find tonights report quite familiar. There are a couple of decent alternative off road short routes locally, but with the amount of rain we've had lately they'll be mudfests at the moment and I really couldn't be bothered with all that...:rolleyes:

So, Cross Gates, over the railway and up Austhorpe Hill, through Thorp Park on NCN R66 and over the M1.
Blast down through the woods stopping to take a couple of photos at a different point to yesterday:
IMG_20160708_164957280_2.jpg
IMG_20160708_165002192_HDR_2.jpg
IMG_20160708_165025078_2.jpg

Back on and through the rest of the woods, then Barrowby Lane to Garforth, back under the railway line and up past the riding school, then onto the bridleway and under the M1. Between the hedges and down to Manston Lane and the into the wind slog back to the former tank factory and up into Pendas Fields, where I turned right instead of left for half a loop of variety. Repeated the loop from yesterday around the Manstons and then up towards home where couple of kids on BSOs challenged me to a race, so I felt obliged to show them a clean pair of wheels :laugh: with the last mile into a blustery headwind, as now seems to be traditional. ;)

10.07 miles (16.2km) in 47m 34s at an average of 12.7mph, with just 485ft climbed. But all good - despite the familiarity of the route, no two rides are ever the same and it's a tonic just to be out on the bike.

08072016.jpg

Tomorrow is looking a bit "challenging" weatherwise - I haven't got my metric century in yet this month and I'm trying to decide if I should get up early (i.e. be out of the house by 7 am) in an attempt to avoid the forecast monsoon, or if it's not worth the hassle given the 20 mph winds that will be in for the whole day...:unsure:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Definitely drizzly out there this morning, enough to wet the tarmac. By the time I was going out, it had stopped, though more was forecast. I think the bike could navigate itself around Holbeck by now, I would still have to pedal. Across Crown Point Bridge and along all those Rs to the Clock at Oakwood, past the unused gates of the park and ‘Oh Dear!’ Boot Hill has been resurfaced. With that horrible pea sized gravel. It has filled a few of the road drains, it is at least 50mm deep at the road edges and riding is a bit like riding in mud but with less directional control. I got about half way up, gave up and walked up to the Ring Road. It might have calmed down in a couple of weeks.

Once back on the bike, along the A 58 to Red Hall Lane, turn right. On to Skeltons Lane and left at the end to Thorner. At the bottom of Church Hill a tractor towing a ginormous trailer was disputing the right of way with a bus. The bus got away first and I followed, considerably slower, up the hill and along the road to Bramhope.

Turn right there to take the road to Aberford, cross the beck there and turn right again, Barwick in Elmet in sight. Almost. About now, I realised I was not going to enjoy my usual big grin whizz down Boot Hill. Through Scholes, across the old, sorry, dismantled railway and on to the A 64. Less than a mile, turn right onto Thorner Lane and then left onto Skeltons Lane again. At the junction with Coal Road, turn left onto that and wander around Seacroft ( I lived there about 50 years ago ) until I found North Parkway, Kentmere Avenue, South Parkway and Amberton Road, which took me to Easterly Road and the wander back along Roundhay Road. Totally amazed that I only made one bad turn after all this time away. My Garmin tells me I did 31.31 miles today, had to report to two decimal places for that one, and my legs tend to agree. I am going to miss Boot Hill though.

There should be rain spots on this map.

View attachment 134287

Hi @Old jon - you probably know, but if you go down the hill to the bottom of North Parkway, you can turn right onto the "new" Wyke Beck Way cycle path which takes you up to Easterly Road on nice smooth tarmac - you can then either follow the WBW through the woods (still on tarmac), or climb over Asket Hill, both of which bring you out onto Wetherby Road near the new school.

13 rider

Guru
A first for me today managed a 50 km ride in the evening .I am away on my hols for the last 2 weeks of July and am busy Sunday this weekend and tomorrow's weather looks pants . So after a slightly early finish from work it was home quick tea and out on the bike at 18.15 .Anstey ,Cropston, Rothley ,Cossington up humble lane and managed pr on Strava back into Sileby and out to Walton on the Wolds and round into the back of Barrow on Soar ,Quorn stopped at Quorn station to watch a steam train come though . Into Woodhouse in Swithland back to Rothley and back to Anstey a mile short so a loop of the village and back home with 31.3 miles in the bag at 17.4 mph . That 2 of my 3 challenge rides done my 50 mile ride my yet become a Hilly Cornish ride if the weather is bad tomorrow.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We have been without a tandem since Sunday, so it was high time we got another.

Our first ride of the day was from Bridgwater, out through the small village of Chedzoy and back into Bridgwater. A few tweaks and a broken credit card later and we were free to go.

We ended up doing a short 5.25 mile ride in a very hilly corner of Somerset/Devon starting off in Appley. straight away it was up, then up, a lot more up and some more.
This was followed by a scintillating, brief down before another huge up.
This went on ad infinitum until we reached a hill that had even more up than the others! There was a point when I thought a dismount was coming. In truth it was me that was ready to stop, but Jo, puffing and blowing said that we weren't giving up. We made it and stopped in a gateway, sweating.

image.jpeg

So we went back to the car a much flatter way, still hilly.

The reason we'd stopped was to see what the gearing was like on some stiff hills. It coped, and so did we, just about. So our new tandem fits like a glove, no more pins and needles in my shoulders hopefully.

Average speed.............. 6mph!

https://www.strava.com/activities/634071519

Katherine

Guru
Yesterday I went out for an evening ride without taking the bag on the back that could have had a waterproof jacket in. So, of course, it rained. Luckily it wasn't too hard, it didn't rain continuously and I didn't get cold. I went down the East Lancs Road path and took one of my regular loops through and around Culcheth, where I wasn't paying attention and found myself on an unfamiliar road that passed the prison at Risley. I stopped to look at Google maps and decided to keep going and head back round to the East Lancs Road. I rode down some lovely pretty lanes and am rather pleased that I inadvertently found a new route and have also discovered how to get to Birchwood.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Out early today as another busy day ahead.

Had a stick of rhubarb to deliver en route, once that was done I headed for Little Irchester ,Poddington , Wymington,Chelveston and decided to stop at Denford .

WP_20160709_001.jpg
WP_20160709_002.jpg

Next up was Thrapston where the drizzle arrived but carried on towards Woodford and past the ford next were the Cranfords where I decided to swap into some waterproof trousers.

Once I got going again it was Barton Seagrave ,Burton Latimer,Isham ,Orlingbury and home just short of 39 miles.

Old jon

Guru
Hi @Old jon - you probably know, but if you go down the hill to the bottom of North Parkway, you can turn right onto the "new" Wyke Beck Way cycle path which takes you up to Easterly Road on nice smooth tarmac - you can then either follow the WBW through the woods (still on tarmac), or climb over Asket Hill, both of which bring you out onto Wetherby Road near the new school.

Hi @NorthernDave , thanks for that. I did not know that existed, though I do remember the beck, and I have seen the sign for the Wyke Beck Way by the school. It never occurred to me to ride it, but it does look a viable alternative. Will give it a try this afternoon.
Cheers.

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpeg
Up and out early today!
Dreich day and the air was damp when I set off but at least not dinging down like earlier :smile:
Did another hilly route and the rain started at the furthest point away from home :rain:
First time the Pashley has been rained on :blush: but not as "precious" about it now since paint got chipped when in for a service :angry: Sorted with some model paint from Homebase though, so all good.
I did take my iPod (only used on cycle paths and off road).
Cruising along in the rain :music: was very enjoyable.
Passed an older chap on a road bike, nice smile and "morning" also a younger guy on a MTB who looked totally miserable :thumbsdown:

Top Bottom