Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Nice ride in to work this morning, cool, calm and light traffic, hardly broke a sweat.

Coming home, 32 degrees C when I left work, baking hot:sun::sun:, and even taking it easy felt like hard work. On the plus side it had cooled down by the time I got home, to 31 degrees C^_^.

Looking forward to tomorrow morning already

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Usual wee loop to loosen my legs after a particularly windy club run yesterday.

received_1376632995686587[1].jpeg

gavgav

Guru
After a day of slaving away in the furnace of an office, wishing I was outside, there was no way I was missing out on a warm summers evening ride (finally!!) :sun:

Out up the cycle paths to Sundorne, having to walk the bike past an idiot of a van driver who had parked across the whole cycle path on Telford Way:thumbsdown:.

Then along the old canal path, which has dried up a bit finally, but the second half has turned into a jungle with nettles and foliage all overgrown. Do the council ever actually do anything these days?:headshake:

Glad to get on the road again to Upton Magna, climbed up East Haughmond and then the nice downhill section, over the crossroads and back round to Upton Magna. Bumped my way along the awful surface on Pelham Rd, really hope they are going to surface dress that soon, they seem to be doing most roads around it at the moment!

Along the straight to Atcham, over the bridge and then a bit more climbing to Betton Abbots and home, avoiding the roadworks as much as I can. Weeping Cross roundabout is going to be closed from Monday for 2 weeks and so that's another road I can't use. :thumbsdown:

18.1 miles in hardly ANY WIND for a change!:wahhey: I'd almost forgotten what a calm ride was like.

Edit:- just noticed my mileage for the year so far is now 888 miles. I like symmetry!

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Well today's ride was a good one as I racked up 5000 miles of cycling since I bought my Boardman.

I cycled to the meeting point to see the long awaited return of @Donger. @Frazzle it seems has left the club for now. Pity but will have to wait and see.

We were heading north towards the Forest of Dean, due to traffic lights it didn't take long before the chilled group was split into 3 groups. Lisa, Dave,@maltloaf. Me and Claire then came @Donger; @Largie003 and @EnPassant on his first KCC ride.

Claire and I went up the A40 towards Ross on Wye and waited on the left for @Donger and crew to turn up which never happened. So Claire and u looked on the club's route planning page and realised we had gone wrong.

So we headed back to the A48 and we helped each other by taking it in turns to take to the front to catch the others .

At aboit 10 miles into the ride I shouted "Oakle Street " at this point Claire in front. We she took me unawares and slowed then either went
to turn right or miss something in the road.? By this time my front wheel was alongside her rear wheel. Well our wheels touched and I was sliding along the gravel.!

I saw Claire go to pick my bike up while I was on my back. Boy this hurt lol
I was glad I had my helmet on as it hit the floor hard and it definitely saved me from something worse. I didn't feel the grazes I had . I heard someone stop and ask if a ambulance was needed, I was still on the floor was I said NO!

I'm not a footballer and wanted to carry on. Claire took a couple of photos for later lol.

It's my ass that still hurts as I write this lol. It's left cheek is bright red (well it was when I got out the shower ) and not a mark on my right one.

After what seemed like a age we remounted and set off. Claire did ask if I wanted to head for home? No way.

But up hill I was struggling as the base of my spine was aching each time I tried to put more power down for a incline.

We decided to take a shortcut for the coffee shop and waited for @Donger and crew to turn up . All the customers in there were giving me sympathy lol.

When the did they wanted to know how we got there before them? I said " obviously Claire and I had improved so much while they were away lol"

Well we then headed for home at a chilled pace. But there was a hill thrown in on the way back I didn't expect but got on with it.
When we got back it was close to 37 miles so I might as well do 40 I thought.

I can't thank Claire enough for looking out for me. Even though she wouldn't rub my feet better the other week lol.
Ouch! Hope you mend soon

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just the commute again but today I used it as the first proper outing for the new-to-me Dawes Galaxy.

I went my usual way to Condover initially finding there wasn't too much traffic. The bike feels great but having drop bars for the first time since I was at school will take a little getting used to.;) It does feel like the right time to give them another go though.

Despite a couple of stops on the way for minor adjustments I made very good progress and despite adding some mileage on the way to Atcham had enough time to go through Attingham Park too which is always very pleasant on a nice morning.

By the time I got to Upton Forge I was starting to get the feel of the bar-end shifters and liking them. I finished with a final sprint on the drops to work which felt really fast.^_^

For the return trip I went my usual way to start but avoided the shortcut for a change and went into Condover then over Lyth Hill which has a short but steep climb which gave a chance to try the lower end of the gear range..... it feels like it could scale the side of a house.:laugh:

I don't have a speedometer fitted to this bike yet so experience tells me that todays distance is around 24 miles but I don't know how the speed compares. Relatively quick judging by how early I got to work.:okay: Quite a happy bunny here.

DSC0003656.jpg

A quick snapshot in Attingham Park

john59

Guru
Seeing the weather forecast was warm and dry, I decided it was a day to tick of the July Strava ‘Gran Fondo’. I took a ride into Cheshire around Delamere and Northwich. I started at 7.00 am and the temp then was 17c but with clouds.
My first pit-stop was at Delamere Station House Café just as the sun decided to make an appearance and raise the temperature even more. After the Cake and coffee it was time to head back to the Wirral via the ‘Greenway Cycle Path’. One funny moment, as I was going downhill, I had to pass through a swarm of bee's/wasp's. Luckily I came through unscathed!
136 km covered on a beautiful sunny day.

Delamere Station House Cafe.
20160718_095948.jpg

Looking towards Helsby hill.
20160718_105604.jpg

Second pit-stop, Hadlow road station.
20160718_120843.jpg

Ride.
View: https://www.strava.com/activities/644961990/embed/fcc8e08702758e12fbf1376427c78d9c6169e222

gavgav

Guru
Just the commute again but today I used it as the first proper outing for the new-to-me Dawes Galaxy.

I went my usual way to Condover initially finding there wasn't too much traffic. The bike feels great but having drop bars for the first time since I was at school will take a little getting used to.;) It does feel like the right time to give them another go though.

Despite a couple of stops on the way for minor adjustments I made very good progress and despite adding some mileage on the way to Atcham had enough time to go through Attingham Park too which is always very pleasant on a nice morning.

By the time I got to Upton Forge I was starting to get the feel of the bar-end shifters and liking them. I finished with a final sprint on the drops to work which felt really fast.^_^

For the return trip I went my usual way to start but avoided the shortcut for a change and went into Condover then over Lyth Hill which has a short but steep climb which gave a chance to try the lower end of the gear range..... it feels like it could scale the side of a house.:laugh:

I don't have a speedometer fitted to this bike yet so experience tells me that todays distance is around 24 miles but I don't know how the speed compares. Relatively quick judging by how early I got to work.:okay: Quite a happy bunny here.

View attachment 135327
A quick snapshot in Attingham Park
:okay:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@john59 has Hadlow Road become a cafe yet?

If only every evening was like this. Hot, sunny, fragrant, windless and my birthday. (Then I'd be ancient!)
We went out on the tandem via Toft, Kingston and The Eversdens. There was a hot air ballon up, up and away.
I'd intended to stop at The Hare and Hounds in Harlton, but it was closed! Never mind. On to Barton and a stop at The White Horse for bitter shandy and curly fries, classy I am!
image.jpeg

In the picture my right leg is crossed, I'm not deformed... Well, not there.
We finished the ride via Caldecote making it a figure of 8(ish)

20 miles (not 47)

https://www.strava.com/activities/645443412

rugby bloke

Veteran
What an evening to be out on a bike. Just the traditional summer smells of newly mown hay and burnt sausage. The wind turbines out near the M!, which have been spinning so fast they looked like taking off where barely turning.

Was overtaken at one stage by a bloke on am electric mtb, was flying along at a decent lick, but seemed a little pointless. Perhaps I was being harsh.

26 miles of the best Northants has to offer.

upload_2016-7-18_22-9-22.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/645452485

Buck

Guru
On Saturday, Mrs Buck was down at the hairdressers so I persuaded/bribed Buck Jrs to come on a ride with me. The persuasion was a visit to Yummy Yorkshire our local ice cream parlour. And yes, they are yummy!

Of we headed up Marsh Lane which for my youngest (10yo) on his little Specialized Hot Rock it was a little on the hard side! I could tell that if I'd offered for us to turn around he would but a few words of encouragement and we were at the top with a few minutes rest for him before we headed on the Penistone Road.

I knew that Piper Wells would be tough for them but it was the easiest/safest way of getting them onto the tops and the country roads away from traffic. My youngest managed a 100m before he was off and pushing whereas my eldest (13yo) was going great guns and I thought he would make it to the top but he gave in having done 80% of the climb (Fair play, a quick breather and he was back on and at the top!) I stayed with youngest Buck and helped him by pushing his bike up for him then on the tops we were off.

At 5 Lane Ends, a nice run up and down Dearne Dike Lane before taking a left and heading down Horn Lane around and then along the head of the reservoir and up the Huddersfield Road before arriving at Yummy Yorkshire.

One Cookies and Cream, one Mango and Passion Fruit and a White Chocolate Cherry recharged the batteries and as they were holding a Tractor Fest with a few stall we had a walk around before heading back to the bikes.

Up the main road and then a left on Windmill Lane which was true to its word with a real head wind. So much so that junior had a tow from me for part of it. Once we'd crested the hill we turned right at the crossroads and retraced our route back int the village.

10.7 miles; 657 feet of climb and two tired boys!

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 00.05.49.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/642743539

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
I'd done the usual Scout run earlier in the evening but when I got home it was still warm/hot and the last thing I wanted to do was go on a bike ride and end up not enjoying it so I waited until the boys were home and showered then donned the lycra and headed out!

As it was past 9pm I knew I had an hour before it got dark and even though I had my lights I decided I would do around 60 minutes or so.

The usual exit and up "Steep!" to get me on the tops and the weather was glorious - lovely and warm with just a gentle breeze and a beautiful sunset to add a little more :smile:

Onwards with one of my usual circular routes with just a brief stop part way around to catch the last of the sun setting behind the windmills before I headed on to Five Lane Ends to complete the loop then a right turn and around the back of the quarry.
IMG_3061.jpg

I didn't feel like heading home just yet so straight across at the crossroads and down into Upper Cumberworth and straight across at the next junction through Lower Cumberworth.

I had to brake heavily when a young lad decided to do a three point turn in the road in front of me :ohmy: - he just hadn't seen me but no harm done. Back on my way and a lovely undulating ride through to the Huddersfield Road and turned left towards Shelley before dropping down Far Bank a nice fast 11%er then left and the drag up the main A629 before turning right into the village and home!

It had only been an hour but I can honestly say apart from a 30 second stop for the photo, I had pushed myself the whole way and enjoyed it to boot!

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 00.15.31.png

15.4 miles and 1066 ft of climb

https://www.strava.com/activities/645556750

Last edited:
Scorchio morning and a first proper run on the single speeder with new 46t chainring.

Did a variant of the usual commutes today starting on the A10 before turning off at Streatham to Wilburton and a straight run on the Twenty pence rd through Cottenham,Impington and Histon;then a short loop in the city before rolling in to the Espresso Cafe for a well earned coffee and date cake:cuppa::hungry:.

Surprised with the pace :bicycle::smile:but I suppose that's what happens when you change the gearing;still spins out a bit but think it's about right at the moment.

https://www.strava.com/activities/645850485

Bike against a wall pic(Cambridge Fire Station);

IMG_20160719_070247340_HDR.jpg

And the second 'breakfast'^_^(showing the 'freebie' Rouleur/POC cap:becool:);

IMG_20160719_071057532_HDR.jpg

Two days of the same ride(s).
As I was riding solo for the Dunwich Dynamo this time, I started out at about 15:45 to ride the 7 miles to Northampton station to catch the train to Euston.. Once there, I had a 4 and a bit mile ride to London Fields for the start.

View attachment 135273

Just time for an ice cream before setting off. The place was heaving! Not just with cyclists, but also families out BBQ's for some unaccustomed weekend sunshine. The smells of the food, and wafts of wacky-baccy was making me feel hungry, but as I'd had a bit to eat, and can't ride on a full stomach, I just inhaled the 'atmosphere' as I passed... :laugh:

After sitting on a rock for a while, and sorting my backpack out as I had a lumpy bit sticking in my ribs,, I set off with many others. This year, maybe because I started a bit earlier, we got past Hackney Empire before it all snarled up. Last year it was totally jammed up.

View attachment 135268

I don't think I'd want to do 115 miles on this one :wacko:

Riding along with several others, it was quite sociable, and we made good time out of London and were soon in Green Belt countryside with pretty villages to admire all the way.

I'm not sure which village it was, but at about 45/50 miles, there was a broken bottle smashed on the road, but I managed to see it and heard the warning shouts in time, but then heard a clicking noise from the front tyre. On stopping to check, I had picked up a drawing pin that had worked it's way through my Gatorskin. It seems like there were idiots out and about in the wee small hours :sad:
Still, look on the bright side. I knew exactly where the hole was :whistle:. With a new tube fitted, I was on my way in about 15 minutes or so.

This year, as last, I stopped at the fire station in Sudbury for a quick coffee and a chat with the people there. It is now the Halfway stop as Sible Heddingham wasn't doing any refreshments this time.

View attachment 135269

On 90 miles ish, I had a breather on a bench and chatted to a couple of riders with the same idea. This was one of the turnings that lots of folk went sailing past and had to 'U' turn to get back on route. With the end nearing, I wanted to crack on.

View attachment 135270

I reached the beach at 04:00, just in time to see the first glow on the horizon.

View attachment 135272

My back light attracted some interest, with a some asking where I got them, and a couple of ladies asking if they could give them a sqeeze! I had to say no, though, as that would switch them off :laugh:

I only stayed in Dunwich for 20 or 30 minutes as I then had to continue for the next 18 miles through Dunwich Forest and up the A12 past the Latitude Festival gates, to Lowestoft where my lift home awaited me. (I'd had a chat with the boss to OK it for me to get a lift home in one of our trucks.) I got there at 06:00, just in time to leave. I was hoping to use the rest room there to freshen up a bit, but had to make do with a rub down the baby wipes I'd packed, plus a quick change of shoes, T shirt and shorts before departing.

View attachment 135271

I travelled in slightly more style in the cab though.. The cardboard was packing to avoid scuffs and scrapes as I was chauffeured the 3 hours back to Kettering. Once back at the depot, I only had the final 12 mile ride home to do.

Back home after a DunRun of 137 miles, but with the beginning and end bits, I was a smidge under 156 miles.
Quite happy with that for the weekend.

https://www.strava.com/activities/643412527

:smile:

Kudos given on Strava:thumbsup:

Top Bottom