Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The forecast was for a sunny morning, with rain arriving betwixt noon and 2 pm, depending which forecaster you believed, so I set off to get my metric half in the bag for September - my first on the new bike. ^_^

It was a bit cooler than I'd anticipated, so I'd stopped within a mile to put my arm warmers on :cold:
Up the hill to Scholes, then on to Barwick, taking the right onto Long Lane (it's a lane and it's long) and all the way to Garforth. I don't know what's up with my legs at the minute but I was really struggling to get into a rhythm this morning and I was well up the A642 before I settled into the ride.
Across the M1 on the roundabout then on towards Aberford, with the legs feeling better by the mile now.
Left towards the village and the straight slightly downhill run on the old Great North Road.
Now, I know it's childish, but I'm on my new carbon bike, I've got a tailwind and there is an electronic "Slow Down" sign at the entrance to the village. I shall say no more...:whistle:;)
Anyhow, the disc brakes slowed me nicely for the right turn onto Lotherton Lane and the climb up to Lotherton Gates, then onto Copley lane for the always enjoyable smooth tarmac up to the turning for Saxton where that sharp little climb awaits.
Between the freshly harvested fields heading for the village I spotted a photo opportunity:
IMG_20160903_091901052_HDR.jpg

Back in the saddle and through the village, turning right again for the climb up the hill and on to Barkston Ash.
A quick wiggle through the village and onto the long straight to Church Fenton, making what I thought was good progress until another cyclist on a Planet X bike wafted past...:rolleyes: (although I did set a 2nd PB on there) :smile:
Over the bridge past the station and on through the village, eventually taking a right onto the back route to Ryther past the airfield. The fields here had all been harvested too and it looked quite bare with the crops gone. Over the railway bridge and down the other side, before entering Ryther and decision time.
Left for home and get 50km in (but definitely be home before the rain), or right for Cawood and beyond, giving me an imperial half but running the risk of getting caught in the rain for the last half hour or so of the ride?
Well, I was enjoying myself so much I turned right - well it would be rude not to, wouldn't it?
Through the village and out into the countryside, passing Mrs B's Lakeside Kitchen (heads up for anyone doing the Scarborough Ride @nickyboy is organising), then into Cawood itself.
Left at the lights and over the swing bridge (not swinging today) and the long 'flood straight', before taking the right to Kelfield, then on to Riccall.
Through the village and after a brief ponder, joined the Solar Cycleway rather than risking the A19.
Now I've been critical of the surface on here before and while it's still lumpy and ridged in places, the carbon bike seemed to soak it up better than the old Road Comp ever did.
I was about ready for a stretch, so when a chance to photograph the bike circling Uranus presented itself, I couldn't resist:
IMG_20160903_102422887_HDR.jpg

Uranus circled, it was back in the saddle and on towards York.
Shortly after crossing the Ouse another cyclist was being harangued by two peds (joggers, presumably), although he seemed well on top of it and rather than escalate the situation I left them to it.
Slightly further on, just as you ride through the housing estate that's been dropped onto the cycle route I caught up with a big family ride at just about the narrowest section of the route, so ended up patiently waiting behind then for a while until there was room to safely pass all 10 of them.
Then on the final almost overgrown section up to the P&R at Askham Bar, where I stopped to use the facilities.
This highlighted the only downside of the new bike though. With my old bike I only had to "secure" it to satisfy the terms of the insurance, so for brief "safe" stops like this I had a decent cable lock. Now, due to the increased value of the new bike I have to use a Sold Secure rated lock, so I'm currently lugging around my Magnum shackle lock - all 2kg of it...:heat:
IMG_20160903_105207712.jpg

See those dots on the floor beyond the bike? That's the rain starting and it wasn't yet 11 o'clock. Blooming weather forecasters, again! :cursing:
The good news was only improved by a text from Mrs ND advising that it had been persistently pouring down at home for the last hour. Clearly I was going to get wet...:rain: Glad i'd left the Ass Saver on, for all the good it did...
I momentarily considered cycling into York and getting the train home, but ruled it out just as quickly. Firstly, York station was around 2 miles away, so I'd be wet by the time I got there, stopping trains were probably going to be hourly on a Saturday (so I'd probably have 55 mins to wait...), it would cost me the thick end of a tenner AND I'd have another mile and a half to ride home in the rain after getting off the train at the other end. Plus, what sort of cyclist would that make me? :laugh:
Jacket on it was out on the A64 cycle path, before heading up to Askham Bryan and the country lanes through Healaugh and Wighill, before heading through Walton and down to Thorp Arch, with it raining all the way. Over the river and up into Boston Spa, before the run to Clifford, passing the chippy but not stopping and the short climb before the big descent (taken a bit more slowly given the weather) into Bramham.
From there it was over the A1(M) bridge and the direct route to Thorner via Wothersome Dip past Bramham Park. @Old jon mentioned this road was a bit muddy the other day and he wasn't wrong. No offence, but the festival was over 5 days ago and for there still to be this much mud on the roads is ridiculous, so I've reported it. Eventually descended Church Hill into Thorner, before riding through the village and tackling Van Zyl Hill all the way up to Skeltons Lane, then Coal Road before local roads down to home.

52.52 miles (84.52km) in 3h 32m at an average of 14.9mph, with 1,716ft climbed. Quite happy with that, given the weather in the second half of the ride (the average speed over the first half was quite a bit quicker) . Happy to report that disc brakes are much better in the wet and, despite the rumours, the carbon didn't melt in the rain. :rolleyes:

03092016.JPG

One final thought, if you're planning on cycling any of this route over the next week, there were a few signs out warning of planned roadworks.
From memory (please check if you need to), the A642 from Newhold in Garforth up to the M1 roundabout is closed tomorrow for resurfacing (it needs it!), Brackenhill Lane from Church Fenton - Ryther is shut for works on Monday, and the B1222 after the Kelfield turning up towards Stillingfleet is also closed next week.

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My ride from Dereham to Wells next the sea was entirely splendid. Started off sunny and not too hot, with the unexpected surprise of Wafflycat joining me for a coffee. Rode north with a tailwind, all the way to the coast.
Then...

The wind got up. It started raining. And I've got to go into the wind...
I arrived at the Crown in Gayton looking like I'd been drowned. And dipped in gravel. I'm surprised they let me in!
After a long bath and a change into civvies, I hit the bar. Steak and chips, two pints and all is well with the world. But jeez, I'm tired. That was a hard 50 miles.
I'm actually thinking of going to bed at 9:15.
Just need 20 miles tomorrow to make 100 for the weekend...

I did note that the stepping stones had been re topped, they are now square and flat. Takes all the fun away.
There is a footbridge there. I cannot remember the date it was erected, it is at least five years since I walked across it, the surprising thing about it, for me, is that it was made by an engineering firm in Westminster.
The suspension footbridge, it's a lovely thing, isn't it??

many years ago, with long hair at the Ben Rhydding stones ('93?)
West Yorkshire Scenes. Ilkley. Ben Rhydding. Steppping Stones. 1.jpg West Yorkshire Scenes. Ilkley. Ben Rhydding. Wharfe Bridge.JPG West Yorkshire Scenes. Ilkley. Wharf. Suspension Footbridge.JPG

The forecast was for a sunny morning, with rain arriving betwixt noon and 2 pm, depending which forecaster you believed, so I set off to get my metric half in the bag for September - my first on the new bike. ^_^

It was a bit cooler than I'd anticipated, so I'd stopped within a mile to put my arm warmers on :cold:
Up the hill to Scholes, then on to Barwick, taking the right onto Long Lane (it's a lane and it's long) and all the way to Garforth. I don't know what's up with my legs at the minute but I was really struggling to get into a rhythm this morning and I was well up the A642 before I settled into the ride.
Across the M1 on the roundabout then on towards Aberford, with the legs feeling better by the mile now.
Left towards the village and the straight slightly downhill run on the old Great North Road.
Now, I know it's childish, but I'm on my new carbon bike, I've got a tailwind and there is an electronic "Slow Down" sign at the entrance to the village. I shall say no more...:whistle:;)
Anyhow, the disc brakes slowed me nicely for the right turn onto Lotherton Lane and the climb up to Lotherton Gates, then onto Copley lane for the always enjoyable smooth tarmac up to the turning for Saxton where that sharp little climb awaits.
Between the freshly harvested fields heading for the village I spotted a photo opportunity:

Back in the saddle and through the village, turning right again for the climb up the hill and on to Barkston Ash.

I like Aberford. A lot!!
And, the lane from Lotherton, over to Sherburn-in-Elmet

'The Arabian Horse' is reputedly the only pub in the country to use that name
Gascoigne Almshouses are magnificent (have a look here; http://www.parlington.co.uk/structures.lasso?process=3&subProcess=struct13
The Swan was being refurbished, when the Tour de Yorkshire passed through (my old 110 peeking its nose into the photo)

Aberford. Arabian Horse. 2.JPG Aberford. Gascoigne AlmsHouses. 2.JPG Aberford. The Swan Hotel. 6.JPG

North Yorkshire Scenes. Sherburn-in-Elmet. Red Bear.JPG North Yorkshire Scenes. Sherburn-in-Elmet. Town Crest.JPG North Yorkshire Scenes. South Milford. Steeton Hall Gatehouse. 1.JPG

Last edited:

The 'GNR' is one of my interests, & there's still plenty of evidence of it, along its old route
Ie;
Have you seen the cottages, & 'White Hart' pub, at Bramham Crossroads?

Bramhan Crossroads!!!! (circa 1910)
Bramham. Bramham Crossroads 1. 1912.jpg

1950's?

Bramham. Bramham Crossroads. 1950.jpg

Bramham. Bramham Crossroads. Spen Common Cottages. 2.JPG

White Hart/CrossRoads Farm (still licenced in the 1950s)

Bramham. Bramham Crossroads. White Hart. 2.JPG

Original kebstones, the stone-ones, following the 'GNR' route, as it entered Brotherton (instead of the 60's dual-carriageway)
Brotherton. Kerb Alignment.JPG

Opposite the 'Brotherton Fox'
My Ribble is facing towards the 'old' A1)
Brotherton. Sign. 3.JPG

Top of Airedale (Castleford)
On road from Glashoughton to FerryBridge
Still there, 'to this day'
Castleford. GlassHoughton. Signpost. Great North Road.JPG

Micklefield
near Church Lane, which is the road, into the village, from the new alignment, of the 'Roman Road' (Barnsdale) from Garforth - Castleford
Micklefield. 1.JPG

The railway bridge is in Micklefield, & yes, that's the 'GNR' -as was- under it, hence the wide span

One last Aberford image
This sign was inside the yard of 'The Swan' & hopefully still there???
(the Post-Bell was also still in-situ, when T de Y came through)

Attachments

• Micklefield. 12.JPG
    Micklefield. 12.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Aberford. The Swan Hotel. 5.JPG
    Aberford. The Swan Hotel. 5.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
A slow 40km or so taking in the Thames Estuary, Ingrebourne valley to Hornchurch and Upminster then across to Belhus woods, stopping on the way at Damyns Hall aerodrome for a bacon baguette (which was very nice!).... https://www.strava.com/activities/698807592

A bit of an industrial riverscape:
View attachment 142354

A little further along an old WWII pill box with a couple of ships and the QEII bridge as a backdrop:
View attachment 142352

Talking of the bridge, here's a close up...
View attachment 142350

Meandered up the Ingrebourne valley to Hornchurch where there was a bit of a WWI exhibition going on complete with a bi-plane (apparently it's a film prop not a real one):
View attachment 142351

Then finally on to the aerodrome where I had a great bacon baguette while watching this chap do a bit of wing walking...

View attachment 142353

I would never have expected to see a pill box so far inland. Thanks for writing it up.

All in all a pretty relaxed ride with the majority of it off road and traffic free.....

View attachment 142417
A quick wiggle through the village and onto the long straight to Church Fenton, making what I thought was good progress until another cyclist on a Planet X bike wafted past...:rolleyes: (although I did set a 2nd PB on there) :smile:
Over the bridge past the station and on through the village, eventually taking a right onto the back route to Ryther past the airfield. The fields here had all been harvested too and it looked quite bare with the crops gone. Over the railway bridge and down the other side, before entering Ryther and decision time.
Left for home and get 50km in (but definitely be home before the rain), or right for Cawood and beyond, giving me an imperial half but running the risk of getting caught in the rain for the last half hour or so of the ride?
Well, I was enjoying myself so much I turned right - well it would be rude not to, wouldn't it?
Through the village and out into the countryside, passing Mrs B's Lakeside Kitchen (heads up for anyone doing the Scarborough Ride @nickyboy is organising), then into Cawood itself.
Left at the lights and over the swing bridge (not swinging today) and the long 'flood straight', before taking the right to Kelfield, then on to Riccall.
Through the village and after a brief ponder, joined the Solar Cycleway rather than risking the A19.
Now I've been critical of the surface on here before and while it's still lumpy and ridged in places, the carbon bike seemed to soak it up better than the old Road Comp ever did.
I was about ready for a stretch, so when a chance to photograph the bike circling Uranus presented itself, I couldn't resist:
View attachment 142418
Uranus circled, it was back in the saddle and on towards York.
Shortly after crossing the Ouse another cyclist was being harangued by two peds (joggers, presumably), although he seemed well on top of it and rather than escalate the situation I left them to it.
Slightly further on, just as you ride through the housing estate that's been dropped onto the cycle route I caught up with a big family ride at just about the narrowest section of the route, so ended up patiently waiting behind then for a while until there was room to safely pass all 10 of them.
Then on the final almost overgrown section up to the P&R at Askham Bar, where I stopped to use the facilities.
This highlighted the only downside of the new bike though. With my old bike I only had to "secure" it to satisfy the terms of the insurance, so for brief "safe" stops like this I had a decent cable lock. Now, due to the increased value of the new bike I have to use a Sold Secure rated lock, so I'm currently lugging around my Magnum shackle lock - all 2kg of it...:heat:
View attachment 142420
See those dots on the floor beyond the bike? That's the rain starting and it wasn't yet 11 o'clock. Blooming weather forecasters, again! :cursing:
The good news was only improved by a text from Mrs ND advising that it had been persistently pouring down at home for the last hour. Clearly I was going to get wet...:rain: Glad i'd left the Ass Saver on, for all the good it did...
I momentarily considered cycling into York and getting the train home, but ruled it out just as quickly. Firstly, York station was around 2 miles away, so I'd be wet by the time I got there, stopping trains were probably going to be hourly on a Saturday (so I'd probably have 55 mins to wait...), it would cost me the thick end of a tenner AND I'd have another mile and a half to ride home in the rain after getting off the train at the other end. Plus, what sort of cyclist would that make me? :laugh:
Jacket on it was out on the A64 cycle path, before heading up to Askham Bryan and the country lanes through Healaugh and Wighill, before heading through Walton and down to Thorp Arch, with it raining all the way. Over the river and up into Boston Spa, before the run to Clifford, passing the chippy but not stopping and the short climb before the big descent (taken a bit more slowly given the weather) into Bramham.
From there it was over the A1(M) bridge and the direct route to Thorner via Wothersome Dip past Bramham Park. @Old jon mentioned this road was a bit muddy the other day and he wasn't wrong. No offence, but the festival was over 5 days ago and for there still to be this much mud on the roads is ridiculous, so I've reported it. Eventually descended Church Hill into Thorner, before riding through the village and tackling Van Zyl Hill all the way up to Skeltons Lane, then Coal Road before local roads down to home.

52.52 miles (84.52km) in 3h 32m at an average of 14.9mph, with 1,716ft climbed. Quite happy with that, given the weather in the second half of the ride (the average speed over the first half was quite a bit quicker) . Happy to report that disc brakes are much better in the wet and, despite the rumours, the carbon didn't melt in the rain. :rolleyes:

View attachment 142422
Enjoyable to read thanks. So re rain basically your a tight wad ie train £10 just like me. Still its motivational isn't it.

One final thought, if you're planning on cycling any of this route over the next week, there were a few signs out warning of planned roadworks.
From memory (please check if you need to), the A642 from Newhold in Garforth up to the M1 roundabout is closed tomorrow for resurfacing (it needs it!), Brackenhill Lane from Church Fenton - Ryther is shut for works on Monday, and the B1222 after the Kelfield turning up towards Stillingfleet is also closed next week.

Old jon

Guru
The intended shorter ride today almost went to plan. Into Holbeck and escape via Great Wilson Street and most of the rest of Hunslet on the way to Woodlesford. As ever, the breeze was kind to me, and it stayed less than head on through Swillington and the north side of Garforth on the A 642. Which was closed just after the last roundabout before the M1 flyover. For resurfacing. Hmm, maybe I need to check these things, but that would be tedious.

So, all the way around the roundabout and fossick about through the large housing estate that Garforth is, until I reached the lights at the bottom of Garforth Cliff, which I then pedalled up. Along the A 63 to Peckfield Bar and turn left there, along Ridge Road. After crossing the railway line there is a right turn to Micklefield, which leads to what once was the A 1, turn left and continue to the crossroads that I was a mile and a half away from five miles ago. Riding is fun.

Turn right. There is a deep 700 x 25c groove in the road surface. Its mine, but anyone can use it. When I reached the end of the groove I had covered 32.5 miles, finishing by riding past Lotherton Gates, through Aberford, Barwick and Scholes and the almost obligatory big grin whizz down Boot Hill. Wonderstuff.

No diversions shown here

04092016.jpg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Today was the CycleChat Market Bosworth ride, so firstly a big thank you to @13 rider for:

1) Organising it, 2) Avoiding gravel 3) Knowing his right from his left.

Was my second forum ride and the following rode (in no particular order) @13 rider @tallliman @guitarpete247 @cyberknight @Lilliburlero @broady and someone's mate who I apologise now, I can't remember his name or who brought him. (I am a complete muppet when it comes to peoples names)

Meeting time was 9:30 in market Bosworth, so I set off nice and early to get some miles in before the start so I could hopefully get September's imperial century done today. I set of at 6:20 and it was a bit breezy but I made good time and got to Market Bosworth about 9:20 with 48 miles done and 6 people were already waiting (I think).

Everyone turned up promptly (8 of us in total) and we set off to do I think about 25 miles to the cafe stop. @13 rider had warned us there was one hill on the route, when we got there I hit it a bit hard and was bloody knackered at the top, but don't think the others noticed :laugh:

Fantastic cafe stop, lovely latte and bacon roll for me before we headed back to Market Bosworth. Shortly after the cafe stop @guitarpete247 turned off to head home and not long after that so did @cyberknight @Lilliburlero and I've narrowed it down, their mate (pretty sure he was a mate of @Lilliburlero :whistle:) That left four of us for the last few miles to Market Bosworth.

For those last few miles we started overtaking loads of cyclists who were all numbered up and looked like they had been bathing in a muddy field. We slowed and started talking to them, there was 199 of them in total doing 220 miles in one day from Manchester to London for a Alzheimers charity and the weather was pretty bad for them when they come through the Peak District. Much kudos to them all.

When we got back to Market Bosworth, @broady headed home and myself @13 rider and @tallliman headed towards Anstey were @13 rider peeled off, a couple of miles later myself and @tallliman went our separate ways and I did a further 10 miles home through Abbey Park and up The GCW.

Fractionally over 111 miles for the ride, cracking company, cracking roads, cracking cafe stop and we saw some of the bikes from the vintage rally, look at that brake!

WP_20160904_12_50_17_Pro.jpg

This is @tallliman admiring the same bike:
WP_20160904_12_49_15_Pro.jpg

and @13 rider admiring some more vintage bikes:

WP_20160904_12_49_31_Pro.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/700230732

gavgav

Guru
Bagged my September 50k early, with probably the toughest ride I've done in Shropshire to date and something I've always wanted to do, which is to cycle up to my Cricket club home ground at Acton Scott. I would normally be playing on a Sunday, but I've given it a miss this week, with heading off on holiday tomorrow in mind. Around 50% of the ride was on new territory as well, which I enjoyed navigating my way around.

I set off into the blustery wind, out through the estate and the short section on the A458, where about 50 motorbikes came from the opposite direction, as I wanted to turn right. So I pulled into the entrance to the industrial site, to avoid sitting in the middle of the road as cannon fodder, then crossing safely and out through Betton Abbots, Cantlop, Pitchford, Acton Burnell and Frodesley. I paused for a chocolate bar, before the first big climb up Shoot Rough, for the second time this week and then the speedy descent into Cardington.

I turned off and onto the new territory, as I continued the climb up onto Cardington Moor, having to stop a few times for a procession of cars on a Classic Car Rally, mostly MG's and had some friendly banter with a few who gave me encouragement like "you've got a blooming steep climb ahead mate" and "fair play to you" ^_^.

I did indeed have a steep climb ahead, up the side of Hope Bowdler hill, which fully justified its gradient arrow :heat:

Cardington Moor
image.jpeg

There was then a nice downhill section towards Wall, and half way down I had an audience as I paused for a much needed drink :biggrin:
image.jpeg

I turned out onto the main road, for the short section into Wall, before turning off and along the lumpy Eaton Rd and began more climbing up to Ticklerton and then Acton Scott, passing the working farm museum which you may remember if you watched Victorian Farm on BBC2 a few years back (in which I had a guest appearance - my claim to fame :laugh:)
image.jpeg

I then turned up the lane to my Cricket Club and met the Chairman there, who was setting up for today's game. I had my lunch sat by the pitch and then a chat to the rest of the team, before wishing them well and pressing on.

I am lucky enough to play at what must be one of the most picturesque cricket grounds in England, not shown off particularly well from this photo in the gloom.
image.jpeg

I had a nice downhill section, finally after all of the climbing, to Alcaston and Eaton, before turning down some glorious lanes for cycling on, with views across to Wenlock Edge and the Stretton Hills. I paused for a comfort stop, by this "house" that basically had only the front and back walls still intact!
image.jpeg

I retraced my steps along Eaton Lane, into Wall, before heading back out onto the main road for a longer stint this time and then turning up the wonderfully named Gilberries Lane, where more climbing began, up to Gretton and then the steeper section up to Chatwall at almost 1000ft.

I then had the lumpy section through Ruckley and the brilliant scenery, before arriving back in Acton Burnell.
image.jpeg

I then re-traced my steps home through Pitchford, Cantlop and Betton Abbots.

One of the most enjoyable rides I've done for a long time, hard work and lots of hills, but some superb countryside.

It was also my 200th ride since I began using Strava in August 2013 and I also passed my 5000th mile on this bike, which I bought in February 2013.

43.2 miles with 2303ft of climbing.

Top Bottom