Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
:mrpig::mrpig::mrpig: I saw that slice and thought That's not big enough for 2 slices but surely too big for one .You proved me wrong . You don't now how near you came to that not being there but I had a big breakfast . You had done the milage to justify it . I would not have made it home if I'd gone for it

I wolfed it down, I had done 85 miles on two slices of toast so I thought I deserved it :tongue:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Utterly lovely. Short route into work, longer route home just because.

Not many bikes out today before it got light this morning and the last hour.

Wee bit of statistical analysis based on my own observations today

66% of cyclists ride a folding bike
33% a mountain bike.

33% of all bikes are electric.

66% have good lights while 33% are barely visible.

100% had some form of reflective or visibility clothing(*)

0% wear a helmet(*)

(*)easy tigers, it's only a bit of fun based on 3 bikes.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Apologies - this is yesterdays ride today (again)

The weather wasn't great yesterday morning, so it was after 1pm before it had dried up enough to get out. Out on the trusty mudguard equipped Road Comp for the second weekend on the bounce, but with plans to do a longer ride than last time.

The good news is that I'd sorted last weekends annoying rattle (front mudguard), so off we went, warming up on local roads before the climb up Leeds Rd into Scholes and on to Barwick, taking the right towards Garforth on Long Lane. I remembered why I normally go out first thing - the roads were a lot busier and not everyone seemed to be aware of what a reasonable gap is...
Climbing up into Garforth under the railway bridge there was a terrible grating / grinding noise, so i changed down to the small cog at the front which fixed it but only for a minute and then it was back, so I stopped in the little car park by the traffic lights for a look see. I was on the verge of turning for home when I suddenly realised that the pump was catching on the front mech - I've got a Topeak Pocket Rocket which twists and locks in the closed position, but going over a bump must have unlocked it allowing the barrel to drop down! Sorted and back on my way up the A642 and over the M1 at the roundabout, then on towards Aberford but instead of turning left and going through the village I stayed on the road under the A1(M) up to Lotherton Hall and then down the hill past the Crooked Billet and taking the sharp uphill towards Saxton before dropping down into the village.
Out to Barkston Ash and then on to Church Fenton, where there was a set of seemingly unnecessary temporary traffic lights atop the railway bridge.
Through the village and onto Brackenhill Lane along the southern side of the airfield heading for Ryther.
A lot of this is effectively single track (although there are no signs to that effect!) with drainage ditches along both sides, so with a car in the distance heading my way and one a little way behind me I was getting a wriggle on to get to one of the infrequent field entrances over the ditches so I could pull in.
As it happens I timed it just right so was able to let both motorists get through before carrying on.:okay:

Over the railway line and into Ryther, where I turned left, recrossing the railway line and heading through Ozendyke into Ulleskelf, before heading back to Church Fenton and completing the circle, the retraced my steps back to Saxton, where just past the village I stopped for a drink and a couple of photos in the fading light.

IMG_20161112_145921746_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161112_145848258.jpg
IMG_20161112_145915158.jpg

Back in the saddle and loaded with Haribo I was off down to Copley Lane and then Lotherton Hall, through Aberford and onto Cattle Lane for the rollercoaster ride to Barwick. Really felt the long drag up into the village from the bridge at Cock Beck and the climb continues all the way to the descent to the Coronation Tree in Scholes. Along Leeds Rd and the descent down the hill that never seems as steep going down as it does going up, before heading up to home on local roads.
I'll admit that last mile was blooming hard work, but I got it done just as the light was finally going.

33.6 miles (54.07 km) in a reasonable 2h 22m at an acceptable average of 14.1 mph, with a total of 1292 ft climbed. After a week off the bike I'll take that and it's my half century ride in for the month which is another plus

I wore my new Agu overshoes from Planet X for the first time, as recommended by @Donger in the Found a Bargain thread a few weeks ago. Getting home without having feet like blocks of ice is something I could get used to, so cheers for that! :okay:

12112016.JPG

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After yesterday's washout I was itching for a ride, and so was Mrs Dave. It was difficult to know how many layers to put on, the sun was out but it was parky. We both just about got it right.
We wound our way over to the bottom of Chapel Hill and started the trudge up, we were both feeling a bit lethargic. At the top a girl came by us.... 'you'll be quicker on the way down' she said as she overtook us. Too right we were. She hadn't peddled on the decent, we went for it! We flew by her.

From Barrington we ended up in Orwell. I was trying to make it to Wimpole for a civilised wee but my bladder had other thoughts. I spied a convenient conked tree..... I was there an age. I was going long enough for a couple and their late teens daughter to cycle by. I had my back to them, they saw nowt, but Jo said they didn't look too Impressed! We overtook them a few minutes later but they didn't speak!

We rode through the drive at Wimpole but didn't stop, other than to sit in the traffic jam on the drive way. They had some woodworking event going on by the looks of it.

On through Arrington and Croydon before going up the hill to Hatley St George, bottom gear not required!

We stopped at Waresley garden centre for a spot of tea and cake. Jo looks like she's been sedated!

IMG_1326.JPG

Out past Waresley woods and it was bright and sunny, we had company...

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

Nice blue skies. We need more!

34 miles today, I was hoping for more but someone wanted to come back on the direct route.

https://www.strava.com/activities/774272610

colly

Re member eR
An easy run out this morning. Fixed wheel again. No intention of 'pushing it' but rather a bit of a hilly ride instead. Whatever, seeing as I had no breakfast before I went out the last 5 miles seemed like 105.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/11895913

Some really glorious views of Wharfedale with the early sun low in the sky setting everything in relief. Left my phone at home so.....................take my word for it.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Another ride out with my wife as she starts to get used to increasing miles ahead of her spring charity ride.
Gorgeous, gorgeous weather with 8 degrees and bright sun. I stuck with tights and booties etc because I'm a wuss and I like to stay toasty, but I felt I probably could have survived without.
We went south through Hitchin, then off the main roads cross country up some longish climbs to the beautiful village of Whitwell where they cultivate watercress in the stream. From there, another climb up to the village of Preston, before turning north and descending very fast along a couple of miles of great cycling roads into Gosmore, before joining the traffic again for the run home.
Only 16 miles / 25k, but really good fun, and Mrs CT is getting into it very well.

Screenshot_20161113-190930.png

20161113_142639.jpg

20161113_142818.jpg

20161113_150047.jpg

Attachments

• 20161113_142830_001.jpg
    20161113_142830_001.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 56

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's not been a bad weekend weather-wise so yesterday I got the knockabout bike fettled up (new chain and cassette) and today took it out to do the November challenge ride.

I was heading for Vyrnwy having only been that way once this year so was up and about early and on the road shortly after seven heading through Montford Bridge, Kinnerley, Knockin and Llynclys then up the Tanat Valley to Penybontfawr and over the hills to Llyn Efyrnwy. The ride out went well - not too much traffic and a fairly light wind even if it was a headwind. I wasn't quick on the knockabout bike and this got put into sharp relief when a rider on a similar style of bike (but a better quality make) overtook and very quickly left me trailing way behind.

Having reached Vyrnwy I did a lap of the lake where the legs after being initially reluctant following a big climb through Cwm Hirnant, settled into a nice rhythm and a cruising speed of about 15mph.

I paused at Artisans to get a hot chocolate (some of which I managed to spill liberally over the bike :rolleyes:) then reversed my lap of the lake at a similar comfortable cruising speed.

The return was the reverse of the way out to start with. After another climb over the hills the gradient was then mostly downhill for several miles and with a following wind I enjoyed a nice fast run back down the Tanat Valley. I took a different way after Llynclys, turning towards Melverley, Crew Green, Westbury and over towards Exfords Green and Lyth Hill as the light faded.

107.6 miles at 13.3mph moving average which i'm quite pleased about using this heavy bike on a route with two climbs of a big hill in.^_^

DSC0004071.jpg

Leaving Shrewsbury as the sun comes up behind me.

DSC0004075.jpg

First view up the Tanat Valley.

DSC0004082.jpg

A familiar view but with some good autumn colour for a change. The dam at Lake Vyrnwy.

DSC0004085.jpg

I got to this point just before 11am which was a very peaceful spot for some Remembrance Sunday reflection.

DSC0004087.jpg

Up at the head of the lake now.

DSC0004091.jpg

On the second lap of the lake now. There are a few waterfalls but this is probably the best of the roadside ones.

DSC0004094.jpg

Trying to be arty. Not bad for once I think.

DSC0004097.jpg

Having left the lake I head for the hills once again on the way home.

DSC0004098.jpg

Much later in the ride. I'm about 17 miles from home but crossing the Severn back into Wales again briefly.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What a lovely morning. I was out early (for me) to meet John G. at Callow End. Staunton got the nod. As we headed south from the Old Hills I met Simon P. We haven't seen each other for ages so a bit of catching up was done before our routes diverged at Clevelode. John knows the various jinks and dodges so there wasn't much need to discuss the route. We were able to set the world to rights instead. At Ashleworth I showed him a different way by Wickridge Street. He liked that and it saved us a mile or so of busy main road. The cafe at Staunton was busy and it took a while to be served but that just gave us more time to fix the world.

A brief word was all that was required to decide on a return route. So with a bit of brain engagement we navigated by Lowbands for Cobbs Cross and the climb to Hollybush. With the air so clear we paused to take in the views over the Severn and Avon valleys. Thence we dropped away by Welland and on for our parting near Guarlford. I was almost home now so pottered back up the Guarlford road having had a lovely social one to one with my friend. 47 smiles

Mrs M

Guru
It's not been a bad weekend weather-wise so yesterday I got the knockabout bike fettled up (new chain and cassette) and today took it out to do the November challenge ride.

I was heading for Vyrnwy having only been that way once this year so was up and about early and on the road shortly after seven heading through Montford Bridge, Kinnerley, Knockin and Llynclys then up the Tanat Valley to Penybontfawr and over the hills to Llyn Efyrnwy. The ride out went well - not too much traffic and a fairly light wind even if it was a headwind. I wasn't quick on the knockabout bike and this got put into sharp relief when a rider on a similar style of bike (but a better quality make) overtook and very quickly left me trailing way behind.

Having reached Vyrnwy I did a lap of the lake where the legs after being initially reluctant following a big climb through Cwm Hirnant, settled into a nice rhythm and a cruising speed of about 15mph.

I paused at Artisans to get a hot chocolate (some of which I managed to spill liberally over the bike :rolleyes:) then reversed my lap of the lake at a similar comfortable cruising speed.

The return was the reverse of the way out to start with. After another climb over the hills the gradient was then mostly downhill for several miles and with a following wind I enjoyed a nice fast run back down the Tanat Valley. I took a different way after Llynclys, turning towards Melverley, Crew Green, Westbury and over towards Exfords Green and Lyth Hill as the light faded.

107.6 miles at 13.3mph moving average which i'm quite pleased about using this heavy bike on a route with two climbs of a big hill in.^_^

View attachment 151103
Leaving Shrewsbury as the sun comes up behind me.

View attachment 151104
First view up the Tanat Valley.

View attachment 151106
A familiar view but with some good autumn colour for a change. The dam at Lake Vyrnwy.

View attachment 151107
I got to this point just before 11am which was a very peaceful spot for some Remembrance Sunday reflection.

View attachment 151108
Up at the head of the lake now.

View attachment 151110
On the second lap of the lake now. There are a few waterfalls but this is probably the best of the roadside ones.

View attachment 151111
Trying to be arty. Not bad for once I think.

View attachment 151112
Having left the lake I head for the hills once again on the way home.

View attachment 151113
Much later in the ride. I'm about 17 miles from home but crossing the Severn back into Wales again briefly.
Love your "arty pic"

bruce1530

Guru
Sounds like you’ve had decent weather south of the border. Here, on the west coast of scotland, it’s been miserable!

Yesterday morning it was very wet early on, so I waited til about 11 before going out. Did a 15 mile loop - from home, through the town, then up a 1km hill - not steep, but a busy A road. Didn’t feel that i was going particularly fast, but Strava says it was a PB for me (although still relatively slow). Then a windy trip along a back road to West Kilbride, down towards Hunterston, and back home via the A78. Just 15 miles, but with the later start I didn’t have time to go much further.

Today I was out earlier, and started on the same route. Miserable morning - when I left it was dry, but visibility was poor, and the wind was getting up - coming from the opposite direction from yesterday. Matched yesterday’s time on the first hill. The plan had been to continue along the coats to Largs, but when I reached the A78, the visibility had dropped right down, and it was raining. And it was “wet rain” - that sounds daft, but it was unpleasant rain - cold and soaked through. So headed back home on the same route as yesterday.

Quite frustrating - cycling along the clyde coast, normally a fantastic view across to Arran, but today could see nothing....

booze and cake

probably out cycling
With the onset of winter I've been frantically charging up with tree colour over the last week.
URL]

IMG_20161103_150408_zpsluezzdij.jpg

IMG_20161103_151232_zpsfzgayqyd.jpg

IMG_20161113_143118_zpsye618vtl.jpg

IMG_20161103_143831_zpsfhe0r4po.jpg

IMG_20161102_152607_zps1pdl2cfd.jpg

And run or pedal for your lives the fungus is coming!
IMG_20161113_142642_zpsvtqqlc1a.jpg

AIIEEEE! consumed by the blob
IMG_20161113_142340_zpsh0iisiv6.jpg

IMG_20161113_150639_zpszlaccksi.jpg

And finally a bit of health and safety gone mad, just in case you trip over and fall 20 feet into the air and impale yourself.....seriously??:wacko:
IMG_20161103_150029_zpsx3or0smj.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20161103_150408_zpsluezzdij.jpg
    IMG_20161103_150408_zpsluezzdij.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20161103_151232_zpsfzgayqyd.jpg
    IMG_20161103_151232_zpsfzgayqyd.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20161113_143118_zpsye618vtl.jpg
    IMG_20161113_143118_zpsye618vtl.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20161103_143831_zpsfhe0r4po.jpg