Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It's not been a bad weekend weather-wise so yesterday I got the knockabout bike fettled up (new chain and cassette) and today took it out to do the November challenge ride.

I was heading for Vyrnwy having only been that way once this year so was up and about early and on the road shortly after seven heading through Montford Bridge, Kinnerley, Knockin and Llynclys then up the Tanat Valley to Penybontfawr and over the hills to Llyn Efyrnwy. The ride out went well - not too much traffic and a fairly light wind even if it was a headwind. I wasn't quick on the knockabout bike and this got put into sharp relief when a rider on a similar style of bike (but a better quality make) overtook and very quickly left me trailing way behind.

Having reached Vyrnwy I did a lap of the lake where the legs after being initially reluctant following a big climb through Cwm Hirnant, settled into a nice rhythm and a cruising speed of about 15mph.

I paused at Artisans to get a hot chocolate (some of which I managed to spill liberally over the bike :rolleyes:) then reversed my lap of the lake at a similar comfortable cruising speed.

The return was the reverse of the way out to start with. After another climb over the hills the gradient was then mostly downhill for several miles and with a following wind I enjoyed a nice fast run back down the Tanat Valley. I took a different way after Llynclys, turning towards Melverley, Crew Green, Westbury and over towards Exfords Green and Lyth Hill as the light faded.

107.6 miles at 13.3mph moving average which i'm quite pleased about using this heavy bike on a route with two climbs of a big hill in.^_^

View attachment 151103
Leaving Shrewsbury as the sun comes up behind me.

View attachment 151104
First view up the Tanat Valley.

View attachment 151106
A familiar view but with some good autumn colour for a change. The dam at Lake Vyrnwy.

View attachment 151107
I got to this point just before 11am which was a very peaceful spot for some Remembrance Sunday reflection.

View attachment 151108
Up at the head of the lake now.

View attachment 151110
On the second lap of the lake now. There are a few waterfalls but this is probably the best of the roadside ones.

View attachment 151111
Trying to be arty. Not bad for once I think.

View attachment 151112
Having left the lake I head for the hills once again on the way home.

View attachment 151113
Much later in the ride. I'm about 17 miles from home but crossing the Severn back into Wales again briefly.
Great pics! Is there an Off Road trail around Lake Vyrnwy or is it all tarmac? Just thinking of a trip there sometime in the future and which bike to take. :smile:

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Rode the Western League CX event at Keynsham yesterday.

IMG_2410.jpg

Great event on a newly designed course.

IMG_2411.jpg

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Well, I started the ride with a clean bike. The post industrial wastes of Holbeck soon changed that, so with a bike becoming begrimed by ( run out of words beginning with b I have ) every turn of the pedals, I rode on through Hunslet and up the drag to John o’ Gaunts. This morning the climb did warm me up. Left for Woodlesford, down the hill past the station, the road still has a large amount of leaf cover and I did not want to see how grippy it might have been. Every time I cross the canal and river on that narrow bit of road there seems to be a lot of traffic stuck on my back wheel, and once up the rise into Swillington the traffic sort of vanishes. Odd.

There is still some uphill to enjoy before the drop to the Garforth roundabout, I must have been feeling fit ( ? ) because I turned right to ride up Garforth Cliff. Peckfield Bar provides more practice at roundabouts, and I kept on along the A 63 to turn left at the next roundabout. Micklefield these days is a tidy, almost pretty, village, more a dormitory these days really. I had intended to go straight on at the crossroads, spur of the moment decision to go past Lotherton Gates, so I turned right, then left at the gates to go that way to Aberford.

Being fairly sure I would do thirty miles, thirty one point six in the end, the rut in the road was followed again, Barwick, Scholes, bit of A 64 and Thorner, Skeltons and Red Hall Lanes in that order delivered me to the top of Boot Hill for a more sedate than usual descent and the joys of half clogged traffic most of the way home. For all that, a good ride out and nicely tired now.

Bike generated doodle of the day

14112016.jpg

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Day off today :smile: so off we went :bicycle:
No watch, no music, going nowhere in particular.
Just enjoying a lovely day of peace and quiet and a wee toddle around, along the coast roads.
Roads were pretty muddy though as overnight rain and building going on all over the place, near the quarry was the worst. Just found a few puddles to sort out the mucky tyres! :whistle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My ride today was from Sunderland to Durham City to get a replacement mobile handset.

I opted for a directish route using part of the A690, which is a bit scary, not very picturesque, but at least gets the job done.

The scenic and less busy route through the former pit villages is about four miles further.

Several fatal collisions at this horrid junction at Stoneygate.

Voda 1.JPG

At least there are some stretches of decent cycle path.

Voda 2.JPG

On arrival in Durham City I was allowed to wheel the bike into the shop, much easier than parking the car and traipsing about.

Voda 3.JPG

Phone business successfully transacted, it was time for an early Christmas lunch (sandwich) from Pret a Manger.

Durham must be getting posher, I'm more of a Greggs man myself.

It's all down to well-heeled Durham Uni students, there were quite a few in the sit down part of Pret camped on the wi-fi on their MacBook Airs.

Not wanting to leave the bike, I went outside to have my bait.

Voda 4.JPG

A visit to Durham Market Place wouldn't be compete without a pic of Lord Londonderry on his horse.

It's a vanity statue, Londonderry is portrayed as bigger than his mount.

He was a pit and port owner, and quite rightly hated for his disgraceful treatment of striking miners.

But I have to admire his can-do attitude.

He thought the Port of Sunderland was charging too much to handle his coal, so he built his own port at Seaham.

Voda 5.JPG

On the way back, I found this recently opened outdoor cafe stop in West Rainton.

The guy running it owns the building, he lets out the shop premises to a hairdresser and lives in the rest of it.

He built the cafe in what was his former coal bunker, which is something you'd only hear in the North East.

Voda 7.JPG

Last pic is of the steepest climb of the day at Houghton Cut.

I reckon this first bit is 15 per cent plus, the bike is inclined to pull a wheelie on the way up.

The climb levels afterwards to about 10 per cent, and the whole thing is only a few hundred metres.

You can see my takeaway coffee in the bike's handy cupholder behind the seatpost.

Voda 8.JPG

I stopped on the outskirts of Sunderland for a haircut - as you do - and to slurp the coffee.

About 28 miles and 350m of climbing in surprisingly mild weather.

A grand - and productive - day out on the bike.

I was doubly pleased because of late I've only been going out with my group and had forgotten there's plenty of cycling fun to be had riding solo.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Love your "arty pic"
Thank you.^_^
Great pics! Is there an Off Road trail around Lake Vyrnwy or is it all tarmac? Just thinking of a trip there sometime in the future and which bike to take. :smile:
The main route round is all tarmac but there are trails into the woods in several places round the area.

It's not something I've tried (apart from a bit of misguided pathfinding the first time I rode over there) but there's no shortage of mountain bikers in the area in the warmer months so the route information must be out there somewhere.

If you fancied a bit of road riding, Bwlch y Groes and Hirnant Pass (not the one from this ride - confusingly there are two Cwm Hirnants) can both be accessed from the western end of the lake.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
In the 2½ weeks since I last rode I've spent most of my time working on my living room, in particular restoring the century-old oak floorboards. This creates a lot of dust. My mask seemed to do a good job in keeping it out of my airways, but one feels some must be getting through, so I was looking forward to a good ride to get air deep into my lungs. Despite my best efforts, quite a lot of dust found its way onto my bike. When cleaning it I found a broken block-side rear spoke. After replacing a spoke I'm always a little nervous - the wheel came with the bike 11 years ago - so for my November century-a-month qualifying ride I planned something which didn't stray too far from home in case I needed a rescue.

I didn't quite follow the plan, due to an inconvenient road closure in the Forest. What I finally did was this, a very rough clover-leaf shape. Cotswolds first, then Forest, the Malverns, finishing on 130 miles:

141116.jpg

It turned out to be a very successful idea, leading me to a number of roads I would normally by-pass when heading for things further away. They will be even pleasanter when not awash with mud and leaves - another bike to clean.

The countryside is still looking beautiful, with lots of autumn colour still evident. The forecast was for cloudy but dry, which wasn't 100% accurate. There was quite a lot of blue sky, and a torrential spell of rain at around half-way for which I was woefully unprepared. It was very mild - the forecasters did get that right - so I didn't suffer too much.

My throat has felt pretty rough this evening, and I've just treated myself to a hot toddy. I think this will become a standard treatment.

Twenty pence commute with the big moon lighting up the start until the clouds blocked it out before I could nab a pic.

In the end the ride was marred by a malfuntioning Garmin intermittently losing the cadence sensor and the HRM giving silly readings;stopped in Cottenham and the HRM re-set itself and was fine the rest of the way in although the cadence sensor was still erratic.

Relatively warm as well so had to remove some clothing when I stopped in Cottenham;looks like it's not going to get much colder this week so should be a couple more pleasant commutes(apart from the wind) to come.

https://www.strava.com/activities/775879351

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Day off today, weather looks worse tomorrow so hit the roads with no great aim, just enjoy some time in the saddle.
11 miles to Kings Cliffe, breakfast of 2 eggs, 2 toast, bacon, beans and fried tomatoes and a mug of tea. Off again to Apetgorpe, Nassington, Elton and back to Peterborough.
Quiet out there, not even much wildlife out there, one red kite, one small buzzard perched on a fence about 10ft away as I passed...it didn't even flinch, just watched me trundle by :huh:.

26 miles at no great pace. My first year back cycling....it's not been that easy, but has been mostly pleasurable.

Top Bottom