Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less

colly

Re member eR
Up early and out just after 6am. Not as early as planned but after deciding breakfast before I went out rather than after and then getting lights attached, tightening what looked like a slack chain, going back in to get a neck muff. I set off.
I've been busy doing other stuff so not been out for a week or more and so decided a longer ride was needed. I made for Ilkley and went via Harrogate Road, Eccup Reservoir, Weardley, Arthington, Pool in Wharfedale and Otley. It was just about light as I passed through Otley and I took the main road, passed Burley and on into Ilkley.
I came back on the back road which is on the far side of the river. A bit more up and down but much more scenic. For some reason in Askwith I turned left to take the road up to Blubberhouses Moor, literally a last second decision. Even as I began the climb I wondered why. It's around 1.5miles to the crossroads at the top and while it isn't the steepest hill around it is unrelenting. The steepest bit at just under 10% comes right at the last 100m too. Always something to look forward to I suppose. I was on fixed so it was slow going at times but made it the top well enough. Even stopped for a pic or two: 20170218_080529.jpg 20170218_080539.jpg 20170218_080640.jpg 20170218_080513.jpg 20170218_080654.jpg
If you look closely at the last pic you can see Menwith Hill RAF Station in the distance. In fact it's occupied by the US airforce/army. It's a listening post and the story goes they scan telephone and e mail traffic, amongst other things, to detect any likely threat. (now I have mentioned it I expect a computer on the base will be reading and analising this post :unsure::unsure:)
So from there it was the long fast decent into Otley and home via the climb up to Bramhope, up past the rear of Golden Acre Park, Moortown and Roundhay Park.
Lovely steady ride. No dramas.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/13007868

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
So I got to Thetford forest today. I went with my mate Stuart.
We had some great fun playing about in the bomb holes.
One particular hole we both made a total mess of. The decent in is fairly steep, but there are 2 rocky bits just before. We both cocked this up in a similar style. This put me right off, and I never got my weight to the back of the bike. How on earth I didn't go over the handle bars will remain a mystery! I went down the 40° slope on my front wheel alone I think. It was a cock up styled with panach I think!

Later on in another crater there was a pesky tree root just at the exit.... it took me 4 attempts to not put a foot down. I wasn't going to let it beat me!

Here's Stu just about to make a foot fault
IMG_1926.JPG

Good fun was had by two old codgers!

24 forestry miles!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Early-ish run out to miss the club runners today. Nowt fancy, just wanted to get a 50km qualifying ride in, just in case I fall out of the 100km challenge. One of my usual routes in reverse out to Ascot. Sorry no pics as in a hurry. 33 miles on the button in 2hrs, then the afternoon spent laying on the drive working on SWMBO car.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
5 of us today. Me, Sara P, Richard B and Jose MLB in the Green and Pete M at Upton. We headed out with catch up chat flowing well for Birlingham where we paused for the snowdrops in the churchyard. Lovely spread there was. We rode all the way around the church before heading for the Combertons. Chat continued via Cropthorne before we crossed the Jubilee Bridge for Fladbury and the cafe. Still the chat continued whilst our refreshments disappeared.

Back in the saddle we rode Hill Furze and over the airfield for Pinvin and the ford. A lovely Mute Swan tolerated our stopping to admire before we carried on. Pete called the run around by Littleworth and Stonehall common where Sara headed her way home. The muddy bends at Pirton Court caused a bit of excitement as Jose misjudged and an oncoming car locked up wheels. No harm done. Pete parted at Upton as we three went by the standard run homeward.

It had been a pleasant social outing on a reasonable winter's day. I'd tested out my new chain and cassette too. Just a few minor adjustments to make. Another good job followed up by a good ride. 56 smiles

bruce1530

Guru
Nice run up the coast to Largs and back this morning. 40k round trip. One of those trips where the winter gear was too warm, but anything lighter would have been cold.

Back brake didn’t feel right, so decided to stay away from hills - at least, that’s my excuse :-)

Strava tells me that I set a new personal best on the northbound section, which was nice. Until I looked more closely and saw that of the 9 people who have done that stretch today, my PB was 8th fastest :sad: I take some consolation in knowing that there was a chain gang in front of me, and half of the other times were from that.

Quite a lot of cyclists out today, maybe more than I was expecting for a February day. Strava tells me that I passed @Brandane going the other way.

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
So I went out with Mr S today to top 30 miles. We had a bright idea to cycle along the canal as far as Leighton Buzzard, this was abandoned after 5 miles as it was like cycling through treacle. We got to a nice cafe, had a lovely latte and a piece of magnificent cake and then carried on. At 21.5 miles we stopped for an hour with my dad and had another cuppa then we headed home just as the sun came out. It was cool today but not too cold, we made it home and I checked my Garmin. 30.9 miles done which is just short of my first ever 50km at an average of 9.4 miles which would have been my normal 10 mph average if not for the first 5 miles. I have had a fab day though and will break my 50km duck next time.

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/870980024/embed/b53454ff1fa661bd0f1b9c36c9d3c70482f5e174

Lovely latte cake

Cake.jpg

Mr S chilling happily
Mr S.jpg

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
First 50 miler since the middle of November but I went with a group from the club who made sure that I got round. Twice I tried to make them go on without me, but they made me stick with them and find the legs from somewhere. We went out down the A57 through Irlam and over Warbuton Bridge, then had a lovely ride through the Cheshire lanes around High Legh, Arley, Plumley, Lower Peover, stopping for cofee and cake at The Seven Sisters Ice Cream Farm, Ollerton, then we also rode through Tatton Park @GuyBoden , though I'm guessing we went in the opposite direction to you. Still more Cheshire lanes were enjoyed through Rostherne, High Legh again, then round the edge of Dunham Massey from Little Bollington, then a new route back over Carrington Moss ( bit pot holey but fine in the dry) to get to Flixton, this time crossing back over The Ship Canal at The Irlam Locks, which shortened the last leg back up the A57, then the lovely path on the Port Salford Greenway, where the group split for our own last few miles home.
I needed the push that I got from riding with a faster group, making me dig in when I wanted to slow Down. It's 2 weeks until the Winter Polocini sportive which is 64 miles. I'm riding with the club but I need to get my legs going by then.
Hope my legs will work tomorrow, I'm leading the A ride to Dunham!!

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Finally got my metric half century in for this month - and what a day to do it. It was almost tropical out there today...:whistle:

Was late out by my standards, not hitting the streets until just after 11:30, so decided to try and keep to quieter roads, as much as that's possible around here. I decided to combine bit of a couple of different regular routes to change things round - I believe the young, trendy folk would call it a 'mash up'

Local roads up onto Coal Road, then Red Hall lane, a quick sprint down the A58 and on to Whin Moor Lane for the twisty route into Shadwell and the loooong descent through the village followed by the sharp climb back up to the A58 and onto Carr Lane for the lumpy route into Thorner.
Through there and the climb up Milner Lane and the right along the ridge to East Rigton, then the mudfest that is Bramham Lane and out onto Thorner Lane, then Thorner Road down into Bramham.
Up the hill there, looping round the top side of the village and onto Toulston Lane for the undulations as far as Garnet Lane, which I took across the A659 and over the A64 before the descent into Stutton. Being easily amused I took Fanny Lane through the village, before straddling the Cock Beck and the single track road out to the A162, climbing up the hill before turning left onto Raw Lane for the run to Ulleskelf, where I had a bit of a headwind to temper my speed.
Took a spin through the village for a change, and stopped for a breather and an energy bar - and a couple of photos:
IMG_20170218_130249768_BURST002.jpg
IMG_20170218_130346770.jpg
IMG_20170218_130625030.jpg

Meanwhile, overhead a light aircraft was looping round practicing landing and taking off at the former RAF Church Fenton - which I'd be passing shortly.
Down the road to Church Fenton, passing a huge stack of turnips at the roadside, timing passing the end of the runway just as the plane was taking off again - fun, but I daresay not as impressive as when Lightnings used to do it...
Through the village noticing loads of building work going on, yet sadly The White Horse pub has closed and the lease is up for grabs. Who'd bet against that prime spot being used for more 'executive' housing?
Over the railway line and the long straight run to Barkston Ash, across the A162 (again) and on to Saxton, past the cricket club and on, eventually, to Aberford where I stopped to take off my windproof jacket, such was the temperature! :sun:
Through the village and onto cattle Lane for the lumpiness to Barwick, crossing Cock Beck again, and really starting to feel it on the slight but unrelenting climb to, through and beyond the village.
Eventually reached the drop into Scholes before the decent of Leeds Road (pedalling, into the wind...), the final crossing of Cock Beck and then local roads up to home.

34.62 miles (55.71km) in a steady 2h 46m at 13.7mph, with 1,689ft climbed and a balmy average temperature of 8.5°C, although it felt warmer.

Would have liked to have got a higher average speed, but not really surprised given the lack of bike time recently (indoor cycling just isn't the same).
On a happier note it was great to get out there with a few less layers on - and to have to take my jacket off mid-ride! There were also loads of cyclists out there, which can only be a good thing. :cheers:

And finally, a map:
18022017.JPG

13 rider

Guru
After a morning diying layer a concrete floor in old coal house ready for conversion to downstairs loo for mum . I had an hour spare so out with the bike .Went for my normal hour climbing loop . Through Newtown Linford and on to Pollybotts lane were the efforts of hand mixing the concrete were felt and a hard grind to the top then round the back of Markfield to Thornton down and back up again after crossing the Dam of the reservoir decidedly turn to Ratby to add some miles back home via Groby and managed a strava pr on the climb into Newtown Linford not sure how that happened . 16.9:miles in the bag in dry and only slightly chilly conditions but a cold wind

Top Bottom