Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
Out about 9.30 today - bright dry morning, although the forecast was for rain about 12. Planned to be home before that. Same start as yesterday - north along the coast for 20k to Largs. A little slower than yesterday, pleasant and uneventful.

Decided to follow the moor road up through the Brisbane Glen towards Loch Thom. It’s a 930ft climb from sea level to the top, over about 5 miles. Didn’t plan to go all the way to the top, just far enough to make the round trip a 50k.

Quite a lot of cyclists on that road, in both directions. Passed a couple of guys who were fixing a puncture - spoke for a few secs then moved on. Passed another chap who shouted “watch out for the thorns, I saw 2 punctures here yesterday” - the hedges had just been cut.

By this time, it was wet - low cloud, and a constant drizzle. Passed the 25k point, was about 2/3 of the way up - decided to push on to the top before turning.

Just past the little reservoir, there’s a short, very steep section. Low gear. Up, out of the saddle. Something doesn’t sound right - what’s that clicking? Then chain snapped!

Fortunately, I had a chain breaker and quicklink with me, so it wasn’t a complete disaster. But by the time I fixed it, it was much wetter - my hands were so wet and oily I could barely get the gloves back on.

At that point, I turned round and headed back. A good coffee in Largs raised my spirits a bit.

54k in total. I think I’ll fit a new chain before I go out again.

Flyboy

Did Darwin to Rivington off road route today , mist and drissle all day , cold as well . But I still enjoyed. My fatty proper nailed the moors section .

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After a much disturbed night (the dog is unwell), I was all discombobulated this morning and just couldn't get going.
So, had a walk to the Co-op for a paper and essentials and when I got back sat down and could quite easily have spent the day there watching rubbish telly. but I had a word with myself about making the most of this unseasonal weather and, after some Grade A faffing about getting ready, eventually got out the door just after half 9.
I'll be honest, I'd no plan on where to go and just wanted to get out and clear my fuddled brain. The first mile was hard work, but I eventually got into a rhythm and found myself heading on Coal Road, then Skeltons Lane for a wind assisted push to Thorner Lane and the descent of Sandhills (Van Zyl Hill) into the Thorner village.
It was a lot greyer today than yesterday, and there was much more of a wind blowing, but it was still mild so it was through the village and up Church Hill (hard work today) and along past Bramham Park and though the dip at Wothersome with the inevitable climb up the other side.
At the top I turned left onto Thorner Lane (the other one) and found myself cycling into a notable headwind. This was momentarily forgotten as I accelerated down the dip on here, but not as I slogged up the other side and back into the wind.
Right onto Bramham Lane and then onto Jewitt Lane to hide from the wind behind the hedgerows. If you cycle round here you'll know I was expecting a bit of mud, but it was ridiculous today - and not just mud either as I passed the pig farm...:eek: (I've just spent the last 20 minutes on the council website reporting the state of the roads all round here - I'd have been better on an MTB on this section today)
On a happier note, there were a lot of people out, cyclists, walkers (wearing wellies) and horseriders, all of them cheery and saying hello, etc.
The mud continues along Compton Lane, where Farmer Giles in his Land Rover forced his way past on the single track road a whole twenty yards before there was actually room for me to let him through :dry:, more mud on Rigton Green and Mill Lane, before the delights of Holme Farm Lane and mud-free tarmac! :okay:
From there it's a steady ride onto Milner lane and along the ridge all the way to Thorner, passing a tandem of tandems with their 4 riders sat having a brew.
Into Thorner and my legs were feeling it, so I decided to head directly towards home rather than adding an extra couple of miles on via Carr Lane.
First though, I stopped for some Haribo and a couple of photos before tackling the climb out of the village:
IMG_20170219_105323422.jpg
IMG_20170219_105329341.jpg
IMG_20170219_105757817.jpg

Yep, that's how grey it was out there today.

Anyhow, back on the bike and up the hill, which as always was hard work but never quite as bad as you remember it being. Onto Skeltons Lane (into the wind this time...), then eventually onto Coal Road and a couple of unnecessary close passes :dry: before getting onto local roads down to home, with a final spin round the block to push the mileage on.

17.07 miles (27.47km) in a very steady 1h 20m at an average of 12.7mph with 820ft climbed and an average temperature of 7.1°C. After yesterdays half century, I really felt my current lack of bike time on todays ride, but for all that I felt a lot better in myself when I got home than I had when I set off, so it's all good. Some days you've just got to get out there and the ride will take care of itself.
A good number of cyclists out today too, most of them faster than me ;)

And finally, a map:
19022017.JPG

iandg

Legendary Member

Mike_P

Guru
18ish miles today (Strava 17.6, Garmin 18.24 :scratch:) with 1014 ft climbing according to Strava.
Feb 19.jpg

This is way TdY this year will be leaving the village of Hamspsthwaite , not that a significant climb but in a south-westerly direction so it was somewhat of a slog today with the wind. Its the climb starting at the 5 mile mark, the slight dip two thirds the way up on the gradient profile is due to me turning off to find more hills!
Hampsthwaite1.png

Not only hills found but big white golf balls - RAF Menwith Hill from the east contrasting with the natural stone building
Ksing.jpg

Nearer on are those "golf balls" not actually the set for The Prisoner - I am not a number!
number.jpg

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Waited for the temps to rise a bit, they never did so out a bit late alongside the A1M then turned round and looped through a bit of countryside. Just the 19 miles but all good, went past a farm where I assume they're putting food out for red kite, a regular swirl of them in the sky's above, around 30 of them today. Other notables, one muntjack deer, one green woodpecker and newborn lambs, first I've seen this year.

Cheers @13 rider!

Fancied a century ride yesterday but also some exploring. So I plotted a route to take advantage of the wind and the £13 train from Lincoln to Lufbra.

Headed up through Kinoulton and Bottesford on tried and trusted roads. Nearly bumped into friends en route from Strava flyby's...a shame I didn't but onward to Fulbeck and The Tack Room cafe. 50 miles completed and a BLT in my stomach, I continued on.

Quick right turn and an 8% climb awaited me...in Lincolnshire!! These aren't meant to exist!! Still, once I was up there, it was a nice long descent toward Timberland and on the fence roads to Woodhall Spa. Quick stop to take a picture of the Dambusters Memorial and then headed north to Bardney and the heritage centre next to the old railway station. Quick stop for a drink and then into the wind across exposed land to Waddington to see XM607.

From there, a quick ride into Hykeham and the train home. 100.6 miles completed and a lovely day riding.

13 rider

Guru
Cheers @13 rider!

Fancied a century ride yesterday but also some exploring. So I plotted a route to take advantage of the wind and the £13 train from Lincoln to Lufbra.

Headed up through Kinoulton and Bottesford on tried and trusted roads. Nearly bumped into friends en route from Strava flyby's...a shame I didn't but onward to Fulbeck and The Tack Room cafe. 50 miles completed and a BLT in my stomach, I continued on.

Quick right turn and an 8% climb awaited me...in Lincolnshire!! These aren't meant to exist!! Still, once I was up there, it was a nice long descent toward Timberland and on the fence roads to Woodhall Spa. Quick stop to take a picture of the Dambusters Memorial and then headed north to Bardney and the heritage centre next to the old railway station. Quick stop for a drink and then into the wind across exposed land to Waddington to see XM607.

From there, a quick ride into Hykeham and the train home. 100.6 miles completed and a lovely day riding.
I was impressive with your average speed but you now told me it was tailwind assisted . It still looks impressive just not quite as much

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Cheers @13 rider!

I don't know whether riding with the wind and getting the train back is cheating or very clever :rolleyes:. When I saw your Strava I thought bloody hell your going to have a hard ride back on Sunday. ^_^

I don't know whether riding with the wind and getting the train back is cheating or very clever :rolleyes:. When I saw your Strava I thought bloody hell your going to have a hard ride back on Sunday. ^_^

I'm going for very clever!! It enables me to explore new roads without having to drive somewhere. Was going to stay with a friend but things didn't work out.

Should add that you should try it....1hr 30 from Lincoln to Lufbra and the train then goes to Leicester!! Stops everywhere en route so plenty of options!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I'm going for very clever!! It enables me to explore new roads without having to drive somewhere. Was going to stay with a friend but things didn't work out.

Should add that you should try it....1hr 30 from Lincoln to Lufbra and the train then goes to Leicester!! Stops everywhere en route so plenty of options!

Sounds like a good idea for a forum ride

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
As my other half builds up distance towards her charity ride in May, we decided to make today the day to aim for her first metric half century. I also needed one of those for the CC challenge. We set off from Hitchin and rode the 4 miles up to Baldock to meet up with the rest of the group. A fairly benign day weather wise saw 9 of our group turning out, so we weren't short of company.

From Baldock we rode roughly northeast through Wallington, Sandon, Therfield and Litlington up to Abington Pigotts where we had our break (and a nice pint of Boltmaker in a very cosy pub). On the way back we routed through Shingay, Steeple Morden and Ashwell before ending up back at Baldock where we split and rode the last few miles home as a pair.

55.7 hilly kilometres. Well done to wifey for completing her first metric 50!

20170219_150935.jpg

20170219_150540.jpg

20170219_152354.jpg

Top Bottom