Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another two miles on the hybrid to the cafe. My life is so rock n roll. Well, more bacon roll really.
IMG_4918.JPG

I'm sure those flowers were not there yesterday.

Dan's Owd Man

Sorry not today but yesterday.
Went out on the Fat bike Bergamont Deer Hunter around some local bridleways, i have ridden these before on my Specialized Stump Jumper FSR and i thought i would give the new Fatty a go.
I did not think it had rained much lately but i must have missed it,lots of very badly churned up places,all caused by horses!not i bike tyre mark to be seen.
First encounter was at the bottom of 12% decent from West Leak Hills,:ohmy:
vlcsnap-2017-02-20-14h48m37s120.png

Managed to get round the edge of it,even the horses had been slipping as they made there way down.
Worked my way up to Rushcliffe Golf course and found a bench to sit on, have a bite to eat and prepare for the next 12% uphill at Stonepit Woods/Gotham Hill Woods,this bit can be quite lose so we would see how the 4" tyres work.

20170219_132038.jpg

Went up to the top of the lane good traction all the time(engine began to blow a gasket though):heat:
Then carried on to the decent,through the first gate then into deep do do,mostly dabbing my way down this one 12% again:crazy:

vlcsnap-2017-02-20-14h52m10s165.png

Dirty wet feet!!!

vlcsnap-2017-02-20-14h56m38s863.png

This bridleway leads down to the A453 and over the top,then on the cycle path back to Sawley then along the towpath along theTrent back to Shardlow.
Washed the bike down with a hose then did the same to me.
The bike handled the conditions better than the normal MTB and it only has the Jumbo Jim tyres on not special mud tyres.
The engine needed a good rest when i got back.^_^ but good fun!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/872487984

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Took a bit, but I got there. I was lucky to have 60 degree weather for the Metric Half century ride for the challenge today. ........
Nice to see some more photos from your neck of the woods, @Gravity Aided. I thought of you the other day. We have a TV panel show in Britain called "QI" on which they showed a newspaper headline from an Illinois paper that read: "Oblong man weds Normal bride". I've never heard Normal mentioned on TV before. You are now officially on the map.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Nice to see some more photos from your neck of the woods, @Gravity Aided. I thought of you the other day. We have a TV panel show in Britain called "QI" on which they showed a newspaper headline from an Illinois paper that read: "Oblong man weds Normal bride". I've never heard Normal mentioned on TV before. You are now officially on the map.
I know both towns, Oblong is pretty small, Normal quite big. I believe it is a sister city with Vladimir, Asahikawa, and Canterbury, IIRC

After a morning's unexpected work, I thought about giving Patsy #5 The Bandit another shake-down blast before her MOT tomorrow, but thought the weather was too good to miss trying out Patsy #1 The Carbon for the first time this year (it is only February, isn't it?), together with a trial adjustment of clothes after yesterday's boil-in-the-bag excursion. So I went for a quick 12 mile trash around the outskirts of Ipswich.
It seemed that the wind was gathering strength all the time, but at least I got the major benefit on the return leg through town. (I passed a rider surrounded by police, with a car parked nearby on the kerb, seemingly checking he was alright, so I'm assuming a bit of a bump between the two. The rider was upright and not clutching any important parts of his body, so he's probably just a bit shaken.)
Four minutes later, with the wind behind me, I was racing one of the police cars along Norwich road. :whistle:

Patsy #1 The Carbon, pleased to be out on the road again.

View attachment 338833

Nice Orbea:thumbsup::becool:.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
At last I managed to get out. The canal towpath has been very wet and has shown no signs of drying up. Or at least it showed signs, and then it rained again. So, halfway through February I was getting desperate. While we had some very light rain on Sunday, Monday dawned fine. So I took the bike off the turbo and set off. I knew as soon as I went down the road that I was overdressed, but I really didn't feel like stopping, and anyway, it's cooler along the towpath.

At the start of narrow section, I spotted a cyclist riding toward me, so I waited, then he stopped, started, stopped. Eventually I decided not to wait and discovered he seemed to be checking the boats. It could have been a very long wait.

a1.JPG

There were plenty of folk out walking, and they seemed to find it warm too. I think I had my jacket undone by this point.

b1.JPG

Of course some people were much more lightly dressed, and colour co-ordinated.

c1.JPG

There are some patches that take a long time to dry out, notably under this mainline bridge, and this was quite deep too as well as being muddy.

d1.JPG

While here, the sewage works upstream often floods the towpath. Bike & puddle?

1.JPG

This took me by surprise, they're replacing the lock gates, and hence it was a bit narrow and a bit busy.

1a.JPG

Two young ladies were doing well riding ahead of me, and very conscious of the need to share the path. Well done to both.

1b.JPG

The spring flowers were out, this stretch is always pleasant, if a little busy.

2.JPG

Just before I stopped for lunch, another bunch of lightly clothed persons.

2a.JPG

So it was a Waitrose sandwich, a free cup of coffee while sat in the sun. Quite a pleasant break, but I stopped for longer than I thought. My tyres had been pumped up to high pressures for the turbo, but the towpath hadn't, up to this point, felt too bad. Anyway, I thought I'd take the main road back to Bourne End, then the back roads for a bit. Hard tyres certainly made a difference! Then back along the bumpiest bit of the canal, after which I did become a bit sore.

3.jpg

11.4 miles max 19 avg 7.0 mph. Year to date, 11.4 miles, Target 500 miles

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Using up annual leave before I lose it - 2 days off and the 4th day in a row on the bike (2nd ride on the new Genesis Equilibrium). Wet and windy today. Struggled out into a gusting wind to Crossbost then a cross wind to Achmore. Then a blasting tailwind home for the last 15km. Stopped to take a few pictures but got moving asap after as the wind/rain chill was very noticeable when standing around.

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/874399299/embed/40091f3f169d53c10117fde57bd840ded4af5cfa

16683896_10155041608717486_7935399828805762085_n.jpg

32880097052_7584b2c5dd_n.jpg

32880097202_689d9ce9a3_n.jpg

32994080826_b0499a7a56_n.jpg

Attachments

• 16807795_10155041603522486_7253424113004624320_n.jpg
    16807795_10155041603522486_7253424113004624320_n.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 16864090_10155041602317486_1345639310421796740_n.jpg
    16864090_10155041602317486_1345639310421796740_n.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 16681709_10155041602812486_2382839481230777898_n.jpg
    16681709_10155041602812486_2382839481230777898_n.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A day off work today, and fine and mild (if rather grey) weather in Gloucestershire, so out I went. I've not set a yearly mileage target this year, but I know I've been falling behind my last two years as I've only really been out on the weekends. Nice to get a bimbling ride in midweek for a change, and to add another 35.2 miles to my total, which now leaves me two thirds of my way around the world since starting cycling a tad over eight years ago.
Set off into a stiffish headwind out via the banks of the Severn at Epney:
25.JPG
Then loitered around Frampton on Severn for a while taking pictures. This aroused the suspicion of a couple of residents of the part of the village that I think of as "Audiville" (though many of them actually have BMWs).
28.JPG

Sometimes in the Summer they have open garden weeks in Frampton, and this lovely place half way along the village green throws open the gates. I recall they have a massive fig tree in the courtyard that is laden with fruit. Swans often nest by the pond on the green:
29.JPG
They'lll soon be playing cricket again on the village green in front of the Bell Inn.
27.JPG
After Frampton I headed off southwards into the wind again, before hanging a left at Cambridge (no, not that Cambridge) to Cam and riding the little lanes through Frocester and Stanley Downton, returning via Whitminster and Saul Marina. The low clouds obscured most of the views on the way, so no scenic shots. This is the nicely named "Blunder Lock" on the Stroudwater Canal:
30.JPG

As I passed the cafe at Saul Marina, I caught sight of something odd, so did a little detour. Here is a rare photo in which, if you look hard enough, you can see both a pirate ship and a steam roller!
31.JPG

Finally, just to prove that Spring really is on the way............
32.JPG

Enjoy your rides everyone. Cheers, Donger.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The CTC were lunching at de Beer's. Could I afford it? Diamonds on toast? I opted to meet them there as the start spot didn't suit me particularly. I headed out for Bransford to cross the Teme and take to the lanes again. I made an incorrect turn due to a senior moment so corrected by Martley and Kings Green. Woodbury Hill loomed ahead and on the climb I was rewarded by lots of snowdrops and cyclamen in full bloom. Netherton Lane came and went and at Dunley I thought I'd try a lane or two I'm not certain I've ridden before. To be honest I think I have done the Areley Kings one many blue moons ago. Nice change from "the usual" run into Stourport. Another brain nav error took me into a modern housing estate. Dead ends meant I had to retrace but I did find the correct lane for De Beer's at the second attempt. I was 5 minutes early so had my refreshments served when the group of 11 rolled in 5 minutes late. No worries. Excellent timing really.

I chatted with some familiar faces and a new one for some time before we headed out on the return leg. Most were heading back for Worcester but I headed for the Sandy Lanes to cross the Severn at Holt Fleet. Then by Ockeridge to cross the Teme at Knightwick. Should I take in some extra miles by Suckley or head back now? Time was getting on so I took the shorter route by Alfrick and Leigh Sinton.

Lovely ride out today with good company at the lunch stop. Forecast drizzle never happened but the wind was a tad tough on the homeward leg. It's full on snowdrop season now and that does make the grey skies less of an issue. 62 smiles today

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Just back after 25 very warm miles. A nice meander around some county lanes only to find some git has dumped a fridge in the middle of nowhere near to Boscobel House. A pox upon them!

Shortly after; a first. The bike slowly ground to a halt with the back wheel no longer turning. So much mud on the road meant that it stuck to the tyre and started to accumulate on the brake calipers. This then got pushed up under the mudguard until so much was there it caused the wheel to be pushed sideways and into the chainstay.

An awkward fumble with light and quick release and the wheel was out. Then a chimp style tool (a stick) to get the mud out. All this while being serenaded by a pair of owls.

Sod's law I was busy while it was sunny and still this morning. By the time I could get away for a ride, it'd clouded over,the odd spit and spot of rain was in the air and a brisk 20 mph wind had got up. Nothing for it and headed out anyway as it'll be at least Sunday before I'll have the chance again.

Started out as usual heading to Downham via the Common, California and Lawn Lane. Up through Downham while the kids were piling out of the village primary school, and out the other side along the Hythe Road towards Way Head. Once the road starts to twist and turn, you sort of forget about the wind because you're too busy concentrating on avoiding the pot holes, and the hedgerows offer a modicum of shelter anyway.

Saw some partridges scratching about on the road verge into Way Head - they can't have been more than three or four feet away from me. Then it's the steep little drag into Coveney. Was glad to stop for a wee breather, drink and snackette outside St Peter's after cycling into a near constant headwind. While I was stopped, a cyclist coming the other way waved hello. :hello:

Suitably refreshed, it's a sharp left turn down the hill and the run to Ely along West Fen Road. In the more exposed parts you could really feel the crosswind trying to push the bike across the road. Granny gears and drops got used a fair bit. Noticed there's a new owl box near Isle Vets and that the rooks are starting to get settled in the rookery there. I finally had a tailwind when I hit the 10 mile point turning onto the A10 and then the B1411 as I set off on the homeward leg. With the wind shoving me up the backside, I set a really good clip for the next three miles, until turning out of Downham to go back the other way through California. Then I met the crosswind again... :cry:

I could have turned right onto Main Drove and set sail for home at that point, but I fancied challenging myself and kept going down towards O Furlong - the start of what used to be my standard seven mile loop. There I noticed a large stand of pussy willow, and I had to stop and spend a moment stroking the furry buds. Silly I know, but they're so soft and silky. Actually, I was glad of the wee break, as by now I was battling that wretched headwind again, all the way to Pymoor. In Pymoor I rejoined the B1411 and rode out towards Adventurer's Drove and the Corkers Crisps factory. Unfortunately the wind direction meant that I couldn't smell the crisps being fried as I rode past, but I could smell them earlier while cycling along O Furlong...

After that was the bit I really wasn't looking forward to - Mill Hill. After four miles it's bad enough. After 18 miles of a windy ride and with tired legs, it's hell. But I made it to the top even if I had no spare cogs left on the cassette. From there it's a three mile squirt home, retracing (almost) the opening part of the ride. Just as I came home, the sun dipped below the cloudline and I was treated to an absolutely spectacular sunset. :sun:

So my longest ride to date, 21 miles in the bag and two hours in the saddle. I'm sitting here really feeling it now - neck and shoulders far more than the legs. :heat: Nothing a slice of cake and a hot bath won't solve though. :okay:

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Another breezy morning out there I fooled myself into thinking. Time to wheel the Quella out for a more or less flat ride, silly thinking session number two this early in the day, 313 metres or 1026 feet of the up stuff happened. No wonder the legs are complaining. To finish with the numbers, 26.6 miles ridden, a bit shy of 43 km. I recently rode the same route on the same bike and if the Garmin is inaccurate, its inaccuracy is accurate to 0.01 of a mile. Can I pick nits or what? Less than 17.6 yards, do I really care? Nope. One other observation, the wind has more effect on average speed than two teeth on the rear wheel sprocket. You may make of that what you will.

After all that, a good if strenuous ride. Because of the Water Lane dig, turn off Dewsbury Road for Hunslet and the parish church thereof. This brings yet another Wellington, from now on Boot, into my ride report. The ex pub at the end of Church Street went by that name. I used to visit the Jampot Owners Club meetings quite often. Anyway, turn right there, a nice tailwind, I thought and start the long drag up to John o’ Gaunts. Turn left, Woodlesford station and the dropping road beside it, to take me under the railway line on the way to Swillington. Cross wind now, or at least a little peeved, it did blow the bike away from my intended line once or twice. I may not have been paying enough attention. Ride around Garforth’s northern side and cross the M 1 on the way to Hook Moor and its windmills, followed by the gates at Lotherton. Check with the Garmin, ‘cos I am about to lose the better part of the wind, and the average speed so far is 15 mph. Pedal along Lotherton Lane sounds sort of easy. It most certainly was not, usually a bit of a hill, the wind and my choice of bike turned it into a challenge. So much so, it was good to dive under the A 1 on the way to Aberford.

More hills, Barwick and Scholes and a difficult right turn off the A 64 onto Thorner Lane, along to Skeltons and Red Hall Lanes and the easier but slower riding across Leeds to reach home. Happily, ‘cos that ride was tough on these old legs, but good to do it.
And because the Garmin does not remember where it has been,

22022017.jpg

Top Bottom