Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Don't ask out of the house before 5 am this morning.

Just 34 miles as busy day ahead, out of town towards Irthlingborough where the Wellingborough expansion is starting.
IMG_20170527_050814537.jpg

Next up was the Addington's , Ringstead ,Raunds ,Denford where by the look of it the fast ladies will be soon.

IMG_20170527_060417964_HDR.jpg

Next up Thrapston and Islip then Tywell and across then to Warkton lane and Barton Seagrave ,Burton Latimer and up to Isham .

IMG_20170527_065440068.jpg

Where I had some fluid and then it was of towards Orlingbury where I saw this sign .

IMG_20170527_065631295.jpg

And about 20 yards later a squashed hedgehog lay .

After Orlingbury it was homeward bound via the mad mile .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Don't ask out of the house before 5 am this morning.

Just 34 miles as busy day ahead, out of town towards Irthlingborough where the Wellingborough expansion is starting.
View attachment 354152

Next up was the Addington's , Ringstead ,Raunds ,Denford where by the look of it the fast ladies will be soon.

View attachment 354153
Next up Thrapston and Islip then Tywell and across then to Warkton lane and Barton Seagrave ,Burton Latimer and up to Isham .

View attachment 354154
Where I had some fluid and then it was of towards Orlingbury where I saw this sign .

View attachment 354155

And about 20 yards later a squashed hedgehog lay .

After Orlingbury it was homeward bound via the mad mile .
Nice , doubt i will get out today as mrs ck is at work this morning so its kids and housework day.

Lee_M

Guru
Short recovery ride to shoebury and back this morning.

Always fun to have a guy bust a gut to get past you then when they sit up 2 minutes later see you're still there so have to go again - twice.

A nice spin before the thunderstorm though which made my legs feel much better after my 200km on Thursday

gaz71

Über Member
Made a late decision to go out this morning as there was rain predicted but luckily it held off to enjoy my ride.Met my mate in Kingston,we rode down to Hampton Court,on to Molesey,through Hersham,along the Seven Hills road,into Cobham,Stoke D Abernon,through Oxshott (theres road works along there if any of you are heading that way),then Esher,Surbiton and Kingston.25 miles altogether.A couple of years ago the thought of doing 25 miles would have knackered me out but i arrived home still feeling reasonably fresh.Putting the extra miles in and cutting down on the booze is really paying off this year,my West Ham top that was too tight for me in the New Year fits nicely now.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Four of us in the Green. Lil ole me, Rich B, Mark L, and just back from Mexico, Steve E. Pete M, Margaret PR and Jules H were waiting in Upton. They had waited patiently as the chat in the Green had made us late. Rich B headed home as Steve called the Trioscape but taking the sheltered route out. There was a lot of catching up to do as we rode the standard lanes so chat was flowing freely. More chat flowed in the cafe and time went by very pleasantly.

We took the route north along the hams to enjoy the tail wind. Still the chat flowed although we did have time to admire the buzzard above. Margaret and Jules peeled off for home at Tunnel Hill. Mark took a flyer on Hook Bank and then I decided to hunt him down. That was one speedy section as I closed on Mark. Pete had been tucked in on my wheel but with Steve's lack of recent riding he was shelled out. No worries - we regrouped at Danemoor Cross and rode the last miles together to notch up another lovely outing. 50 smiles

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
An early start this morning to avoid the apocalyptic weather that was forecast for the middle bit of the day.

So, out at 6.45(!) on the Pro Carbon, into temperatures that were already warm and getting warmer by the mile. Bibshorts and a short sleeved top, plus arm warmers which were as much for UV protection as warmth.

A frequent wend up Coal Road, which a week after being surface dressed is at least rideable, then Red Hall Lane, the A58 and Whin Moor Lane into Shadwell and up to Slaid Hill lights, which aren't detecting cyclists again. I was about to get off and wheel my bike through ;) when a car approached and kindly tripped the lights for me.
Down Wike Ridge Lane and right onto Tarn lane across the ridge, before taking a right down Coal Road onto Bay Horse Lane, before the short sharp climb up to the A58, where it was straight across onto Carr Lane for the familiar twisty lumpiness to Thorner. Left in the village past the church and straight onto Milner lane for the inevitable climb onto the ridge and all the way along to Holme Farm Lane, staying left to Rigton Green and the lovely deserted Bramham Lane (still covered in mud in places) all the way across Jewitt Lane and up onto Thorner Lane.
Straight ahead for Bramham, powering through the dip and up the other side, before enjoying the largely downhill run to the top of the village, looping round onto Aberford Road and then Toulston Lane and out into the countryside towards Tadcaster.
However, before getting there it was right onto Garnett Lane, across the A659, then the bridge over the A64 and the always enjoyable descent down into Stutton.
There then follows the inevitable climb up the hill on the A162 - I'd originally set off thinking of just doing a metric half, but I was feeling good and the weather was too nice to waste so instead of going straight on into Towton as planned I turned left onto Raw Lane and the run to Ulleskelf.
A quick loop through the village and I stopped near the bus stop for a drink and a couple of photos - although I'd barely got off the bike when another rider turned into the road "You OK there mate?", "Fine thanks" was the reply. Quick drink and another rider appeared calling "Everything OK?", "Yes, all good thanks" - I must look even worse than I feel! Either that or Ulleskelf simply attracts a better class of cyclist ^_^
IMG_20170527_082720071_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170527_082735204_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170527_082904506.jpg

As you can imagine, the day was starting to heat up by now, so it was back on the bike and off again, but not before a third passing cyclist had asked if everything was OK...:laugh:

Down Busk Lane past the airfield into the fringes of Church Fenton, then onto Brackenhill Lane for the 6.5 mile circuit around the airfield between the fields via Ryther, Ozendyke and Ulleskelf, eventually coming back into Church Fenton, where it was straight through the village this time, over the railway line and the long straight into Barkston Ash.

A quick wiggle on the A162, then on to Saxton and onto Coldhill Lane past the cricket ground, stopping at Lindas Bench for the final pit stop of the day:
IMG_20170527_092139897.jpg
IMG_20170527_092149953.jpg
IMG_20170527_092212513_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170527_092256792_HDR.jpg

It was getting properly hot now so off came the arm warmers, making this the first ride this year with all 4 limbs exposed to the sunshine :sun:
Anyway, along the lane , dropping down onto Copley lane for the gentle ups and downs to Lotherton Gates, where I decided I was definitely going to go for for an imperial half, so stayed on the B road past the gates and down towards Hook Moor Wind Farm and under the A1(M) bridge, heading for the M1 roundabout which was soon reached and navigated, before the largely downhill run into Garforth.
Over the railway bridge and subject to a punishment pass from a daffodil in a soft roader, who got close enough to touch should I have been so inclined. That said, that was the only dire pass of the day and up until that point the ride had been notable for the exemplary behaviour of pretty much every other motorist I'd encountered (apart from an overly ambition Audi driver - with three empty bike carriers on the roof :dry:- who really should have known better but at least had the sense to accelerate out of the way...)
Moving on, it was right at the lights and under the railway line, back over the M1 and on to Long Lane for the climb into Barwick, which is rarely as bad as you remember, then left onto Leeds Road continuing the climbing almost all the way to Scholes before the long swooping downhill bend to the Coronation Tree.
Needing a few extra miles, I stayed on Main Street through the village, eventually popping out onto the horrible A64 for a short 'your life in their hands' blast down to Thorner Lane, where a nice motorist let me across, before a turn onto Skelton Lane, then Coal Road again (no supercars today, sadly).
A quick wiggle in a generally homeward direction on local roads and still short of distance, I carried on through to Manston, looping round via Church Lane and back up to home, powering past and scalping two kids on MTB's in the last mile up to home :whistle: (Childish, but it has to be done...:laugh:).

50.87 miles (81.86km) in a very pleasant 3h 32m at an acceptable average of 14.3mph, with 1,975 ft climbed - and an average temperature of 16.8°C, according to Mr Garmin. I'll be honest with you, it felt a lot hotter especially in the last half of the ride when the slight mist had burnt off and the sun was fully out. Apparently the maximum temperature was 22.0°C, but I'd bet you could add ten degrees to that in the sun.

Regardless, all good, great to get an imperial half in for the challenge and even with that early start there were still a lot of other cyclists out there making the most of the amazing weather. And, in a rare feat, I picked the right time to get out as since getting home we've had thunder, lightning, wind strong enough to blow next doors garden umbrella up the road and enough rain and hail to suggest that the end of days might be getting close! :eek:

And to end, a map:
27052017.JPG

Mrs M

Guru
Lovely day today :sun: and the start of my mini "summer hol" not back to work until 7 June :hyper:
Lovely wee spin on the Pashley, then some sunbathing in the afternoon (don't be scared, no bikini) :stop:
Mr M was a bit down as Aberdeen got beat in the cup final :sad: so I ordered a curry for him and went to collect it on the bike :smile: Sat outside with the food and a bottle of vino. Cheered him up a bit and he's now lounging on the sofa watching more footy and eating a Cornetto :dry: (seems happy enough) :okay:
Planning some decent wee outings in the coming week or so :bicycle:
Happy riding :smile:
xx

https://www.relive.cc/view/1008207337

I waited for the weather to calm down, then got the Boardman MX Comp out for a ride.

I got as far as nine elms road, then a big herd of cows came round the corner. They mostly went past without so much as a moo. Except one, that took a shine to my shoes. Fearing I was about to get nudged into a ditch again, I got off the bike, until miss daisy went on her way.

I stopped in at my favourite coffee and cake stop.

IMG_4411.JPG

Angel sparkle cake:hungry:

I picked up an irritating wheel sucker ( on a road bike :rolleyes:) so I went up a knackered out gravel track to a photo opportunity, he didn't follow:okay:

IMG_4414.JPG

The view was improving with the weather.

IMG_4415.JPG

Then I stopped off in Southampton for a beer

IMG_4417.JPG

And went home:bicycle:

90 Kms completed today.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Hmm, not eating properly, sleeping badly, feeling generally yuck. Get out on the bike after eleven days off, twenty nine and a bit miles and I am back on top of the world! Good.

Addictive it is, this pedalling around. And it is not just me. I was out early this morning, back before ten which is my usual starting time. Cyclists everywhere, by themselves, couples, bigger groups. Rather a lot of them faster than me, have a squint at the video of the last couple of minutes to the Dyneley Arms. Up to the Dyneley Arms, so I am not moving that quickly.

It was definitely an early start, I forgot ( yawning ) to turn the Garmin on straight away. I had no route in mind, and I was riding the fixed. Sensible says out towards Sherburn. I went to Otley instead. Must have been at the back of the queue for the sensible. After the Holbeck wander and the towpath ride to Viaduct Road the road starts slanting up in front of you, by the time I rode through Headingley I was calling me some names. All justified. And there is still more to go. No frills or detours today, all the way along the A 660 to Pool Bank, so I had to ride down that. The fixed is about 12 mph slower than the Ellis Briggs ‘cos my legs would not spin any faster.

Turn left at the A 659, into the wind all the way to Otley, and then a couple of consecutive lefts and I am riding up Leeds Road. And being passed.

No prizes for guessing, I rode all the way to Headingley on the A 660, turned right to pedal down the hill to Kirkstall and the Leeds to Liverpool canal, along the towpath and through a strangely shaped bit of Hunslet to home. The grin is back.

And there, or rather here, is a map.

28052017.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another great club ride today, with a few newbies turning up, making 12 of us in all on the social ride. Another 39.9 miles done in cracking sunny weather. Mind you, it was stuffy and close today, and brought you out in a sweat the moment you stopped moving .... one of those days you want to keep riding forever, just to feel a cooling breeze. Only one notable hill - up from Kings Stanley to Selsley, via Middleyard. Everyone made it up OK.

Not even a couple of close passes (including one from a psychopathic Tesco delivery driver) and a whole bunch of horses having "Dumoulinated" in the middle of the road could spoil the fun today. Got chatting to a French motorcyclist who was a bit lost on his way to the Isle of Man, and did my boy scout good deed of the day. Speaking French has got me pining for my next holiday, though.

Enjoy your rides everyone. But if you are in England, watch out for those thunderstorms, and stay safe. Cheers, Donger.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Hazy sunshine, virtually no wind to speak of, off out on my old route but with a couple detours that took my fancy i ended up not lost but way away from where I wanted to be :tongue:.
Pboro, out to Bullock Road and past the radio towers and on toward Sawtry / Alconbury. Detours found me near Hammerton, the Giddings etc etc, roads I'm unfamiliar with really but lovely B roads all the same.
One large Red Kite, one hawk flew alongside me ....watching me, watching him...for maybe 100 yards, a good few yellowhammer etc etc.
33 miles at 15mph average...not bad for me nowadays.
Brilliant stuff....quiet, sunny and I even managed a good pace towards the end of the ride.
No wind of course means an effectively constant head wind....you don't really get any help whichever direction you're headed.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Time limited again this morning, but with an hour or so to spare it was worth getting out.
Not as hot as yesterday, but still warm enough, it was onto the Pro Carbon and after local roads to warm up it was Leeds Road towards Scholes.
The route I had in mind is a 25km loop and I've been half trying for a while to get the time for it under an hour, just as a challenge to myself.
Would today be the day?

It didn't start well, when getting the hammer down on the descent to Cock Beck in anticipation for the climb up to Scholes, a teapot in a Transit van pulled out in front of me and then dawdled about seemingly on purpose, causing me to scrub off a load of hard earned speed. :dry:
I gave it all I had up the climb and while I still managed to set a PB ^_^ and get within an two seconds of the best time on the climb but I can't help but wonder how fast my time might have been. Ah well, something to aim for next time out.:rolleyes:
Through Scholes and up the hill heading for Barwick, with the long steady descent all the way through the village and down to Cock Beck (again) before the climb up Cattle Lane and the general lumpiness to Aberford.
Right onto Main Street and the ups and downs to pass the Almshouses - sorry no pic today. While I'd had the wind at my back for most of the ride so far, it was oddly in my face now, where it would remain for most of the rest of the ride, despite several changes of direction...:rolleyes:
Anyhow, huffing and puffing I reached the junction and turned right again, heading for the roundabout over the M1 again all into the wind, which made it hard work spinning away in the little ring at the front just to keep momentum up. Round the roundabout and the descent into Garforth, again hampered by the wind eventually turning onto Long Lane across the M1 again and started the climb back into Barwick.
Stupidly close pass from another teapot in another Transit van, which at least gave me an adrenaline boost up the hill, and once in Barwick it was a left onto Leeds Road and straight into the teeth of the maelstrom.
The weatherman on the BBC had said winds of 10-15mph. He was wrong. Very wrong.
I survived Hurricane Wilma and it was similar to that out there this morning. Possibly...:whistle:

There was nothing to do but drop down the gears and spin it out all the way to the top of the hill, and even on the descent into Scholes the wind was slowing me down.
Left at the Coronation Tree and the eventual descent needed far too much effort to simply maintain a mid-teens mph. :sweat:
A loop around the Manstons at least brought some respite from the wind as did Church Lane, and then it was simply a matter of cracking on to home on local roads

So 15.6 miles (25.1 km) in...wait for it...1h 4m :rolleyes: at an average of 14.7mph with 862ft climbed. So, I'd not quite managed it in the hour, but with that headwind on the return leg I'm not too disheartened. It can and will be done at some point in the not too distant future. :okay:

Apologies there were no photos today, but here's a map:
28052017.JPG

Top Bottom