Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Yesterday evening I returned my mother-in-law's car to Horton, near Northampton, my own having been repaired. A not very interesting story, but I'm glad I hadn't recently spent a lot of money on a new bike.

This meant that today I had to ride back to Gloucester - what a day to pick! I started just before 6am to give myself plenty of time. After the Salcey Forest I took the Bozenham Mill road as recommended in a recent thread. Soon I arrived in Paulerspury, parking my bike briefly outside the hotel where I once stayed at the end of a highly significant day in June 1991. Note the early morning sun; it was pleasantly warm by this time.

May25a.jpg

I proceeded through some stunningly pretty lanes to Buckingham, where I temporarily lost my way and crossed the river three times. Onwards to Oxford via the Marsh Gibbon and Islip route, my target being Wolvercote Cemetery. My brother, who died of cancer in 1999, is buried there, so needless to say I visit frequently but I'd never cycled there before. Most importantly today it was a guaranteed source of water, and I made full use of it.

Westwards from Oxford I know quite well, but for today I'd found some routes I hadn't used before. From Bibury (crawling with tourists) there's a nice route to the top of the Cotswold escarpment near Winchcombe. The descent to Winchcombe is a bit steep for me, and I prefer the looping A-road to Toddington. On the way I stopped for refreshment and admired this view:

May25c.jpg

An elderly couple stopped to watch what I was doing and tell me the altitude. Fortunately they moved on before I had to explain what else I'd stopped for. From Toddington I followed a well-worn path via Eckington Bridge to Upton upon Severn, another guaranteed watering place.

When I could almost smell home, a fine view of the Malverns popped into view, looking I thought distinctly southern European in today's light.

May25b.jpg

The final total was 139.5 very warm and almost windless miles - quite a challenge. Ensuring a plentiful supply of water was a big help - I'm sure it used to be a lot easier to find it at the roadside, on garage forecourts for example.

may25map.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Todays plan was an early start, Trice in the van and up to Windsor Great Park. I'm still learning the recumbent trike so staying off the roads at the moment. Getting out of bed late put that idea out the window, if you get to the park too late you have to pay to park, and I'm known for being a bit tight:laugh: Plan B, out with the Roubaix and off to the park. Just as well I'd gotten up late, as apparently the ball whacking golferists have some sort of competition on at Wentworth, which meant loads of BMW's, coachloads of spectators and self important traffic marshalls. Not to bad on the way to the park, but absolute chaos on the way back, so glad I was on 2 wheels.
Fabulous day for it, and a shame to come home but I have work tonight. 24 sunny miles:sun::sun:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Had a good ride Thursday evening with the lads. after a week of feeling under the weather and struggling on the bike, i was not sure how i would feel, the ride started at a steady pace for about 5 miles, then Dom thought it might be good to push a bit harder, i was hanging on well and even took a turn on the front, Out to Ware then across to Hertford, then on to Welwyn, then straight down the A1000 to Potters Bar, a three mile sprint down the Ridgeway, ending in the pub for a few beers, we were joined by my other half and a friend half an hour later, they had been out for a little pootle. A great ride really enjoyed being more or less back up to speed. 35 miles.:okay:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1005699549

Last edited:
A glorious day!
So, after a visit to a Doctors surgery, that's being sold off, due to the amalgamation of two practices, with a view towards it for business premises, it was time to come home & get changed!
Following the same route, as my ride on Friday 19th, I headed up to http://www.squires-cafe.co.uk/index.asp again, as I was meeting my old buddy Olivia for tea, cake & catch-up
She was one of our A&E Nurses, before going to work at Leeds

This time, with it being so glorious, the Gran Fondo came out:eek: (having had all the dust wiped off it yesterday evening), & I was in short-sleeves and shorts
Heck!!!, even the old purple iridium Mumbos were donned (1994 vintage)
It was a breezy ride, sidewind, up 'Roman Ridge Road'

I arrived at Squires, & was waiting expectantly, for her to pull up on her bike but no
No Suzuki (Gladius 650, I think??), but what I initially thought was some boy-racer, in a red/black Fiesta, in a baseball cap came walking towards me
I'll admit I only realised it was her, by her tattoos
She keeps telling me she's fat, which normally I can't comment on, as usually she's in bulky biker jackets/trousers - but she's a bit of a 'skinny-Minnie' in normal clothes
And, the hair's changed colour. Again
Didn't think you want a pic of her, with the auburn & blue, hair?

Still, it was nice to catch up on happenings, & find out that she was going back home, strapping stuff to the bike, & heading to catch the ferry from Heysham, over to the Isle Of Man, for the TT^_^
(leaving hubby, Carl, at home, with a house full of Cats)

I do regret to report though, there was no Sticky Chocolate Orange Cake in stock today
All eaten:cry:

Home via Ledsham, where 'Cubey' filmed the Chequers, & down Mary Pannell Hill

School-run shortly, see what fancy cars are there today

Last edited:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Just 10 miles today to check out my new sandals and adjust one of the cleats

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Last night's ride nearly ended up being the shortest ever. I am still on spare bike #1 so it was on with the Lycra and once I had transferred the pump bracket over from the still broken bike I was ready for the off.

I pootled up the road but when I went to join the bigger road, I heard a sort of bang noise. It sounded like a spoke going. Sure enough the huge amount of torque put out by my guns had snapped a spoke in the rear wheel. The rim is out enough to rub on the brakes. Damn, ride over!

'Tis a lovely evening though. Right, I'll go out on the mountain bike I use as a tourer. So I went from this:

image.jpeg

A full Reynolds 853 racing bike with proper sized gears (12-23) and a long, low stem to this:

image.jpeg

That is a 1990 Saracen Kili Flier Comp. I had to wear trainers as I couldn't be bothered to change the pedals. It did seem weird bending down to pull the toe straps good and tight after all this time! Gearing is a more sedate 24-36-46 with 12-28 at the back. Tyres are pretty narrow and worn very slick.

What was the result? I rode the same 22 miles as the night before and was two and a half minutes quicker!!

It felt fast on the downhills once up to speed but it is quite a weight to get up the hills. I quite enjoyed it. The Softride stem helped my shoulders as a bonus. I just cannot work out how I ended up going quicker.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Wow it's hot. That seemed to get the wind blowing. So it was quite a struggle on the southerly and easterly tacks. My legs seemed to take their time to wake up too. They did after 10 miles. So the chain went up onto the "big" ring. Things began to roll a bit better. I stopped briefly at Beckford to see if there were any signs of the sand martins at the nesting cliff. Not today sadly. I mulled over the options. Which return route from Little Comberton? I haven't done the Croome route back on this one for a while. In the end I picked the Eckington run. Reasonably traditional I know. I noticed my chainrings appeared to be buckled and then realised that the crank was coming loose. Fortunately it didn't loosen much more and I made it back with no major mechanical. It's all tightened up now! 53 hot smiles

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
First ride for a few weeks, and as usual, I don't do things by half. Did the 17 mile 'Mellor Mania' route which included the 3 miles to The Roman Lakes and 3 back. Three and a half hours, 23 miles and 2500 feet of climbing off road. I feel dead. I was starting to struggle after two hours, and managed to get home OK, despite a big descent (Linnet Clough) when I was knackered - not ideal as it's quite rocky, and has a permanent muddy horse poo stream running down it.

Lovely weather. On the first picture, the 'square' on top of the hill to the left is The Cage at Lyme Park.

20170526_104820[1].jpg
20170526_111107[1].jpg
20170526_120729[1].jpg

TeeShot

Veteran
A day late but better than not at all!!
Four of us loaded the bikes into the van and drove from Stockport to Whalley in Lancashire. By 10.30 we were on the road heading to first our stop at the wonderfully named Puddleduck cafe in Dunsop Bridge. Suitably fortified with mugs of bravery we set off towards the Trough of Bowland. Now us Cheshire lads don't get this type of challenge too often. The bonus of the seering heat reflecting back off the tarmac like the flames of Hades was it took ours minds off the ridiculous gradients!! Onwards to lunch at the Fleece Inn in Dolphinholme, where we looked after very well. Back out on the bikes and another up and down road to Chipping, where the Sun Inn appeared just in time to stave off our impending exhaustion. The final leg back to Whalley was positively flat, (he lied). So, just under 50 miles, goodness knows how much climbing, three excellent stops and us with a combined age of 280+ can't wait to do it again.

A proper day out

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Just a short ride. I visited my mother in Bexhill and so took out the Tesco Special for a spin on Thursday. There's a road that interested me between Cooden Beach and Eastbourne, so I rode along there. Needless to say I was overtaken numerous times and managed to get stuck at the two level crossings three times. On the second occasion a guy, commuting from Hastings to Eastbourne, caught up with me as we waited and we had a nice chat. I didn't get as far as Eastbourne as my time was limited but it was a pleasant, if rather busy, ride.

1.jpg

7.4 miles max 14 avg 9.1 mph. Year to date, 154.3miles, Target 500 miles

Last edited:
Top Bottom