Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
That would be a bit climby then did you go up Neville Holt from Drayton :surrender:
Nope, this time I just took the southern route straight to Medbourne then to Slawston Cranoe Glooston and Goadby - a few climbs, and I managed ok - couldn't walk this time last year!

13 rider

Guru
Nope, this time I just took the southern route straight to Medbourne then to Slawston Cranoe Glooston and Goadby - a few climbs, and I managed ok - couldn't walk this time last year!
Glad you back on the bike . It's certainly lumpy round there . I did a sportive from Rutland Water and they sent us up Neville Holt at 85 miles then climbed out of the reservoir at Stoke Dry at 90 hard finish

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Yesterday's ride was a 180-miler from Dewsbury - Bridlington and bak: https://www.strava.com/activities/1013399938

I wanted a 200k+ ride in early June to include something between my 400k Lllanfair in mid-May and a planned 600+k at the end of June. This was just right and I joined the regular Tuesday club ride from Ravensthorpe CC, although they're usually shorter than this.

Fourteen of us set off at 6am bound for Brid, via Pocklington. The first leg was quick, averaging over 19mph and we kept a good pace (and paceline) to Brid although there was really heavy traffic on the A164. Lunch at the Boathouse Café with the obligatory seaside photo:

18740139_10212118676857399_6380149815449142711_n.jpg

Getting back was a bit slower as we had one rider struggling, with stops at Market Weighton and just past Selby again with good pacelines but an average of around 17mph into the wind. Leaving them at the 160 mile point near home I popped up to see my son's training session at the Richard Dunn circuit in Bradford and then a push for home. 180 miles done without issues.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
A sunny morning. I thought to go out and ride before things warmed up too much, so off I went. Lots of exertion was not what I was looking for so I thought to ride the flatter bits of local roads, still almost 1300 feet of climbing in 32.5 miles though. Flat by some standards then.

So, one of my well worn routes south and east of home, leaving Leeds through what is left of Hunslet ( not much ) and up the road to John o’ Gaunts. Take the left after that to ride past Woodlesford station on the way to cross both river and canal on the way to Swillington and the uphill bits that end in the swoop down to the Garforth roundabout. Which for once had no traffic to be wary of, straight on to it at about thirty, enjoying the switchery a bit faster than usual and exiting on to the Selby Road, um, A 63 I think? Peckfield Bar, the next roundabout close to the old Boot and Shoe and then turn left for Sherburn. Left again at Cowbell Corner.

And along to Lotherton Gates. I looked at the garmin along the way, a couple of button presses told me I had an average of 15 mph. I speak fluent garmin, it was really telling me I had a tailwind. Oh well.

From the gates, turn right and ride along to Aberford, Barwick in Elmet and Scholes. A bit of a scamper along the A 64 to ( one version of ) Thorner Lane, Skeltons and Red Hall Lanes to the A 58 and the drop of Boot Hill. At the lights, I made a mistake, changing gear, changing lane and not looking forward enough. A bit of a slide due to braking a bit hard, both wheels twitched over the shiny tarmac tracks that someone had laid on the road just there. Probably looked like nothing, but felt a bit oops! All credit to the Ellis Briggs for not dumping me on the road. I pedalled faster to escape the scene, past the Oakwood Clock and through the little corner of Leeds centre that will always be Quarry Hill, then home. Grin intact.

A map. It would be a shame not to.

31052017.jpg

Too Tyred

gKZCc
Zwift works. I bought a smart trainer 4 weeks ago to encourage me to ride my bike more and I've been aiming for 3 rides per week.

This afternoon I took advantage of no work and nice weather to go on my first road ride of the year and first road ride for erm... a while... Highest average speed I've ever had. Didn't hammer it either but flat speeds are definitely higher was easily at 15/16mph compared to 12mph previous although there wasn't a lot of flat to judge that on.

May even have gotten a slight tan!

I can eat now right?

Edit: It's also mad how much more sweaty you get on the turbo. Best thing is I feel fine after this ride. No aching, not uncomfortably sweaty or anything like that. Happy days.

7cbaceY.png

gKZCc

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
Taking advantage of the nice weather and half term, we set off today to Cycle the Solar System !! This is set along the old East Coast railway line and is a nice flat / easy ride as well as being safe - great for a family ride.

It was the first decent drive with the bike rack on the new car as well (had to get a tow bar fitted but all good)

IMG_4029.JPG

An hour in the car and we arrived at Riccall between Selby and York and we were off. The route is part of the Trans Pennine Trail and the surface for the whole route was very good.

There were a couple of scale models of satellites and each planet also had a scale model as well as interesting information about it and distance markers between the planets expressed in the actual distance as well as the scale distance on the trail itself.

IMG_4031.JPG
IMG_4032.JPG
IMG_4034.JPG
IMG_4035.JPG
IMG_4042.JPG
IMG_4043.JPG
IMG_4044.JPG

After around 6 miles we arrived at the sun and decided to extend the ride by heading towards the centre of York and we enjoyed a nice little extra mile or so near the knavesmire/racecourse stopping at the old Terry's Chocolate factory before heading back, stopping for an ice cream along the way :smile:

https://www.relive.cc/view/1014529661

18.3 miles and289ft of elevation (told you it was flat!)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1014529661

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 19.44.24.png

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I had a bit of a hard start this morning but I got underway OK in the end. Off around the northern flanks of Bredon Hill was the start. Then heading for Broadway I took a left at Childswickham for the run by Badsey and on north towards Bidford on Avon. I took the lane for Welford on Avon instead and continued to Clifford Chambers and the cafe.

Having refreshed myself with soup and tea I looped by the Y Not back to Welford and then crossed the Avon for the lanes by the Grafton for Wixford. These latter lanes have only seen my passage on one occasion before so it was good to remember some spots. Back on known territory I passed the Hillers cafe at Dunnington. Then it was the standard run west towards Flyford Flavell but today I jinked by Abberton to Naunton Beauchamp and on into the Wadborough lanes. No more loops were to be added now as time was getting short. Nevertheless I took the slightly longer return by Brotheridge Green before taking to the run over to The Link to see my Daughter. Job done it wasn't far home and time for Tea.

Although the pace had been fairly easy on the way out I upped it quite a bit on the way back as I didn't want to be too late. In the event I made it just a few minutes out of time. All good tho'. 91 smiles - my longest of 2017.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Taking advantage of the nice weather and half term, we set off today to Cycle the Solar System !! This is set along the old East Coast railway line and is a nice flat / easy ride as well as being safe - great for a family ride.

It was the first decent drive with the bike rack on the new car as well (had to get a tow bar fitted but all good)

View attachment 354828

An hour in the car and we arrived at Riccall between Selby and York and we were off. The route is part of the Trans Pennine Trail and the surface for the whole route was very good.

There were a couple of scale models of satellites and each planet also had a scale model as well as interesting information about it and distance markers between the planets expressed in the actual distance as well as the scale distance on the trail itself.

View attachment 354829 View attachment 354830 View attachment 354831 View attachment 354832 View attachment 354833 View attachment 354835 View attachment 354836

After around 6 miles we arrived at the sun and decided to extend the ride by heading towards the centre of York and we enjoyed a nice little extra mile or so near the knavesmire/racecourse stopping at the old Terry's Chocolate factory before heading back, stopping for an ice cream along the way :smile:

https://www.relive.cc/view/1014529661

18.3 miles and289ft of elevation (told you it was flat!)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1014529661

View attachment 354837

We've done the Solar Cycle a few times and it's a great little run, Mrs ND loves it as it's virtually flat and away from traffic so ideal for her. We normally park at the other end at Askham Bar P&R just off the A64 though - the advantage of security and proper toilets, although I do have to remember that the bikes are on the roof and park with the camper vans due to the low barrier !
Was the honesty café open at Naburn? We had some fantastic home made flapjack last time we were there.

It's also a part of a regular 50 mile loop when I'm out on my own - although the surface doesn't feel quite so smooth on a road bike with 25mm tyres though, with those tree roots lifting it in places ;)

rugby bloke

Veteran
Finally, after far too much other stuff getting in the way, managed to get out with my daughter for her first ride on a road bike. Started down the hill out of Cogenhoe and along past Whiston towards Grendon at a nice 15mph pace. After a swig of water at Grendon lakes it was time to tackle the hill of death up towards Whiston. At this stage my daughter decided that cycling was too hard ... the hill was too steep, it was too hot, the bugs were getting in her face etc ! Managed to talk her up the hill and we were of over the tops to Denton. Another moment coming down the hill into Denton - she has not quite learnt to avoid cycling on anything that is not flat and smooth. Once the climb out of Denton had been mastered spirits rose and we even had smiles on the run from Brayfield back home. A shad under 10 miles ridden in total. Afterwards I was able to show her that she was not the slowest rider up the "hill of death " today, which helped her mood as well !
A couple of concerns - her left elbow, which was broken and dislocated back in March, is still not 100% so she was getting discomfort from it, so we will have to monitor how it goes. And she was complaining of a sore back so I suspect some fine adjustment of the bike will be required.
All goes to show, you do forget how hard it is when you are starting off. Looking forward to our next ride out together soon.
Considering that I could not stand up on Monday because of back pain I was also really happy to be back on a bike again. Going to have to get some proper mileage under my belt though.
upload_2017-5-31_20-34-50.png

Last edited:
We are down in Devon for two weeks, there is some family business, but I have the bike here

Got out at last yesterday.
From Hope Cove did a Loop up through Loddiswell, and Gara Bridge, mainly on tiny back roads, then down back to Kingsbridge again on bigger roads.

Very Hill, first 15 miles had 2200 feet of climbing alone with some tough ascents.Roads so narrow passing is done carefully. Got stuck behind a sand lorry almost too big for the roads.

30.06 miles @ a meagre
11.3 mph, with 3323 feet climbed

Had to walk up two sections, one in a town, very steep and start stop traffic. Could not cope. And one steep hill I stopped for some reason, too steep to get started, walked 100 yards until it eased.

Gradients reached 21% in two places.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1012606740/segments/24846992758

A high climbing ratio of 110 feet per mile

Buck

Guru
We've done the Solar Cycle a few times and it's a great little run, Mrs ND loves it as it's virtually flat and away from traffic so ideal for her. We normally park at the other end at Askham Bar P&R just off the A64 though - the advantage of security and proper toilets, although I do have to remember that the bikes are on the roof and park with the camper vans due to the low barrier !
Was the honesty café open at Naburn? We had some fantastic home made flapjack last time we were there.

It's also a part of a regular 50 mile loop when I'm out on my own - although the surface doesn't feel quite so smooth on a road bike with 25mm tyres though, with those tree roots lifting it in places ;)

Unfortunately it was shut today :sad: I know what you mean re the roots lifting the surface in places - it was a bit washboard like!

A quick 4 mile fizz this morning to do photograph the new Cats Protection fosters. Was such a lovely morning it seemed criminal to take the car. Some 50 yards from the front door I had my first mechanical since I bought the bike. :cry: Chain fell off - my fault I think, probably knocked the rear mech when putting it away after Sunday's ride, so popped back home to fix it. A minute's fettling and a stop in the bathroom to wash hands and I was back in business. :dance:

After tea I popped out for a 14 mile ride simply because it felt like the right thing to do. :smile: Went out along Black Bank to Littleport, then turned left to go along the A1101 till it meets Golds Hill near Welney. Then it's back along the B1411 Hundred Foot, past the pump station and the railway sidings to Pymoor. As I was running tight on time, I came home via O Furlong and Dunkirk rather than extending the ride on to Downham.

Loads of lovely flowers in the verges and in people's gardens, so lovely and colourful. :wub: And all the Elders are flowering - thank goodness for effective hayfever meds. :okay: Saw loads of cows turned out to grass, and quite a few horses and ponies too. Cutest moment of the ride was watching a foal having a go at the milk bar. :wub:

New summer kit from Decathlon is doing the job nicely. If only it wasn't quite so PINK... :blush: No matter, at least I'm visible... :laugh:

Must get some sort of glasses to wear when I'm out though, as I kept on having to stop to fish flies out of my eyes. :sad:

Top Bottom