Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ben17

A very minor evening ride for me, particular compared to some on here - a quick 5km/20min road loop - but as it was a test of my first puncture repair, I'm pleased. It was also nice to get out for some fresh air after being stuck indoors working on the computer for the best part of 11 hours, trying to get a project completed for the end of the month.

The repair was intentionally done with the on-bike emergency kit, so I now know for sure it's something I can do when out and about on longer rides, although I think an inner tube in the kit is preferable to dealing with patches mid-ride. I guess it's back to the bike shop for me again, some point soon!

Note to self though - don't go out in jeans. Far too heavy and warm, for me anyway!

Mrs M

Guru
Up early today for a wee spin on the roadie :bicycle:
Set off in short sleeves, round the block then back home for some long sleeves and my front light, pity I still forgot my water bottle :angry:
It was tough going today and my wee leggies just weren't up for it :sad: only managed around an hour or so.
Met a couple out walking a chocolate lab, she sensed my approach a good way off, even though they explained she'd had both her eyes removed due to glaucoma. She was lovely :wub: and had a lie down as we chatted.
Most drivers were extra courteous today, 2 even pulled in to let me past :ohmy: :okay:
Admitted semi defeat and headed for home, my day of gardening yesterday has taken it's toll, didn't seem to achieve much either, just dug a few holes and made a mess :dry:
Anyway day before I'd been out on the Pashley, lovely and warm, birds singing, smell of summer in the air :sun:
No pics as just didn't want to stop and nothing much to report, although I did end up in the middle of the local Primary School's cycling proficiency test! "Right turn" the teacher instructed, as I headed straight on, gave the kids and other teachers a laugh :blush: :laugh: :hello:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A belated write-up for yesterday. I'm still hoping to have a go at my personal distance record (currently 202 miles in 1990) in June, and I wanted to keep up what momentum I have. I didn't have unlimited time yesterday, so I went for a bare 100 (actually I think Strava swindled me out of a mile, my Garmin having clicked up to 101 as I came to a final halt), the route being as shown below:

May31.jpg

Something of a south island/north island layout, clockwise around the south, anticlockwise in the north, peaking at a magnificent 240 feet near the motorway at Worcester. The low maximum makes it look quite a bit spikier than it really was.

When aiming for the Severn crossing at Holt Fleet, always a highlight, in the past I've always taken the B4090 Salt Way into Droitwich (acceptable) and then the A4133 to Ombersley (diabolical). Yesterday I took the minor roads to the south of Droitwich. Much prefererable, with the rewarding sight of a fine brood of cygnets on the river Salwarpe.

A brief pause looking towards Holt Lock and Weir, waiting for a gap between the cars:

HoltFleet.JPG

All accomplished without fuss, and I'm hoping to do something quite a bit grander in the next few days. Sometimes these things happen, sometimes they don't!

Cracking day here in the Netherlands so I finished work at 4 and headed out on the bike for a couple of hours.
It was a fairly brisk ride down through Nispen, Hoogerhiede, Woensdrecht, before heading up to Heerle and Kruisland.
Ride here
https://www.strava.com/activities/1016303522
Came across this bad boy in Woensdrecht
and this memorial to men of the Black Watch of Canada Regiment who fought a battle near Woensdrecht on 13th October 1944.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Been away to Hayling Island for a couple of days trying out the new inflatable awning for the campervan. Very nice bit of kit, easy to put up and easy to take down. Had the dogs with us, so SWMBO stayed with them whilst I took the kids on a ride. Couple of miles along the seafront before heading North on the Billy Trail. A really nice bit of well off road walking/cycling infrastructure that takes you all the way to the bridge. Found a little off road track near the start which gave the kids a chance to go over the bumps, then all the way to the end of the track and back, finding a very nice local bakery for lunch stuff, and a cracking local butchers for dinner stuff. 11.5 miles in all, most my daughter has done since last Summer, and I started to hear about it after about 8 miles:rolleyes:
31 May 17 Billy Trail.jpg

Home after lunch today, and a quick spin out to loosen the legs off after the drive. 19 or so miles done today, and yes I am rather sunburnt having forgotten suncream for the past 2 days away. Sore neck and head...
Back to the commute tomorrow, all too soon.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A nice late afternoon early evening ride in beautiful weather to meet the Fragrant MrsP on her commute. We were to meet at the Miller in Goring, I cycled the ten or so miles there, but was early so I carried on up Goring Hill up to Crays Pond then came back down Elvenden Lane to Cleeve then back into Goring. We met at the pub but the food was a bit poncy, so we cycled on to the Bull at Streatley had a quick meat and two veg, the cycled home, just over 29 miles for me this evening, a lovely ride out.

Goring.jpg

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I had to replace a snapped spoke in the rear wheel so that meant off with the cassette and out with the spoke key. I got it straight and back together. It is always with a little trepidation that I get on a bike who's wheel I have repaired but, detecting no calamity in the first few hundred metres, I pressed on.

I must have pushed slightly harder tonight as I beat my best time with an average 16.7mph

Will try to get out again at the weekend.

Ben17

Rather pleased with myself today - and suffering a bit as a result.

Decided to do a proper ride after yesterday's little runabout, and headed down the Coventry canal (NCR52) with the intention of figuring out how to cross Bedworth, where the route goes on-road for a bit. After doing that, I just get going and by the time I'd crossed under the M6, I decided to go to the Canal Basin in Coventry.

Arriving after about 85 minutes and about 12.3miles - a slightly slow/elongated trip thanks to a few detours exploring the Bedworth back streets to find my way - I felt rather good. I received a text message for the significant other congratulating me on the achievement - and asking if I was getting the train back. The train? No, no, don't be daft, I thought. I felt great, energised and ready to go. So, after a 15 minute break, off I went again, retracing my route back.

All was well until about 2 miles from home, when my rather dodgy right leg started to ache. Still, I managed to climb the final hill and got home feeling tired but pleased. However, by the time I'd put the bike away, the legs all of a sudden decided enough's enough! I felt vey drained, but only fancied small bites to eat. An apple, some biscuits, raisins and grapes helped and after a few hours, a good meal led to a full recovery.

Now, I'm pleased with my ride which concluded at an annoying 23.9 miles, but the lesson has been learnt about preparation and maybe building up to the longer rides (this is nearly twice my previous longest distance). I'll eat more before going out and take some snacks for mid-ride refuelling.

20170601 Strava.png

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Seven of us out today. Mrs 26 and I rode to Upton where Ralph R, Rich B and Sara P were waiting. June P rolled up at the same time we did while Pete M was moments behind. A bit of a discussion ensued so eventually Trumpet was the decision. We took a fairly traditional route on the way out but mostly the chat was occupying our thoughts. The cafe at Trumpet did us some lovely refreshments and there was enough tea to satisfy me and June. Sara had headed off home rather than stop.

The route back was another hot topic. Eventually we agreed to stick as a group and take the Falcon lane option. This dropped us onto our outgoing route. Not really allowed but heck everyone was happy. Mrs 26 decided to go by Hollybush while Rich took the main road from Rye X. I rode with the Upton destined three to Tunnel Hill where more chats ensued. Thence I took my standard run back. Certainly a lovely social outing in excellent weather. 60 smiles

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I joined the GV peloton this evening. Would I survive their fast outing? About 25 out this evening and what a beautiful evening it was. We were hitting 25 mph on the run up to Gloucester when Martyn punctured. Fixed the pace rose again to 25 mph. We stopped at Wainlode Hill for a group photo as we all had this season's team shirt on. The pace wasn't too silly on the run to Highleadon and on through the lanes to Tibberton. Andy was the second puncture victim. Some of us without lights headed off. The pace was quite high and things were going well for me until we hit the "foothills". I watched as the group stretched and then broke the elastic. Well those guys only had 40 miles in their legs while I had 100. All good tho' as I set my own pace through the hills and on up "The Widowmaker". I still got in before the fast "puncture repair" group. They were quoting average speeds of 19.5 mph. Sorry youngsters, I can't do that anymore. But heck it's fun seeing just how much fun those guys have. 44 smiles on this one making today's total 104 smiles. My first imperial century day for 2017

rugby bloke

Veteran
After Wednesday's gentle ride out it was time for a few more miles so I set out on my 3 Counties ride - a 33 mile circuit, starting and finishing in Northants and passing through Beds and Bucks on the way round. The conditions were perfect and the ride felt (by my standards) really quick. Turns out it was fairly par for the course, but I enjoyed the ride so that's the best thing.
upload_2017-6-2_8-36-17.png

Top Bottom