Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having not gone out (sounds like a TV show) yesterday, did a short but smart ride today
Looped around Shepperton a couple of times
14.54 miles @ 16.9 mph
A tad windy in some directions
https://www.strava.com/activities/1029304314

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Sara P and me in the Green with Jules H, Rich B and Pete M at the Pot made 5. The jury couldn't decide so a coin was flipped and it came up Fladbury. We took the usual route out with a brisk side wind being a pain. At Great Comberton Sara headed back home whilst we looped by Cropthorne for a change to the cafe. It was busy today but they had a table for 4.

These cafe stops can take quite a while as a variety of topics must be dealt with. Eventually cafe legs complained as we took to Hill Furze. Again the route was fairly standard although Jules called the little loop by Pirton Court this time. Jules headed off home while Rich rode Kinnersley bank very strongly today. His riding is coming along in leaps and bounds. Something went amiss at Upton as Rich must have headed up the main road despite Pete and I regrouping at the Pot. I went back looking for Rich but he'd gone. Ah well Pete and I took to the Brotheridge Green lanes to part below Tyre Hill. Nice social one today which the strong wind did not spoil. All set now for DMHC tomorrow. 56 smiles

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A rather unexciting commute to work tonight was brightened up by a group of 4 'yoofs' on nice MTB's in Stanwell Village, one of whom was doing rather an impressive wheelie along the road. I was met with the shout of 'Yo, fellow bike rider' which gave me cause to chuckle.
Windy again, hoping it's stopped being so by the time I leave..

galaxy

Veteran
Sara P and me in the Green with Jules H, Rich B and Pete M at the Pot made 5. The jury couldn't decide so a coin was flipped and it came up Fladbury. We took the usual route out with a brisk side wind being a pain. At Great Comberton Sara headed back home whilst we looped by Cropthorne for a change to the cafe. It was busy today but they had a table for 4.

These cafe stops can take quite a while as a variety of topics must be dealt with. Eventually cafe legs complained as we took to Hill Furze. Again the route was fairly standard although Jules called the little loop by Pirton Court this time. Jules headed off home while Rich rode Kinnersley bank very strongly today. His riding is coming along in leaps and bounds. Something went amiss at Upton as Rich must have headed up the main road despite Pete and I regrouping at the Pot. I went back looking for Rich but he'd gone. Ah well Pete and I took to the Brotheridge Green lanes to part below Tyre Hill. Nice social one today which the strong wind did not spoil. All set now for DMHC tomorrow. 56 smiles
I like the pie shop I'm Fladbury. We tried to buy a house there.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
64.2 miles today. Turned up at Tewkesbury with three of my clubmates to introduce them to their first 100km audax. It was very windy, though it never quite seemed to be a tailwind today. We all got round OK though, in 6 hours 30, even with stops for refreshments at Croome Park, The Kettle Sings, and Lower Lode.
Met and then bumped into @Always Cross a couple of times on his recumbent and chatted with a few other friendly types as we went round. A great day out.

My main tactic in audaxes is to avoid having to read the instructions for as long as possible. To achieve this, I always start as close to the front as possible, and rely on a steady stream of people getting bored with the pace and overtaking me at regular intervals. That way you get to follow a line of others for the first 20 miles or so and you don't have to concentrate too much on the route. Well that backfired on me today, when the organiser finished his little start line talk with "OK, Off you go. Just follow Andy!" ... and most of them did for the first 10 miles or so! If I'd gone the wrong way at the first roundabout it would have been carnage. Part of me wanted to do a 360 degree turn, just to see how many followed!

There were issues with the audax controls today, so we were given a bit of leeway. I made my crew do the whole distance, though, including carrying on to the café at Colwall called "The Kettle Sings" after the monster climb up into the Malvern Hills. (Got to get the full experience, and climb all the way up, not just turn around at the pass at British Camp). Instead of getting our cards stamped we relied on a series of selfies to prove where we had been.

The second café break at "The Kettle Sings", with glorious views into Herefordshire and Wales: (Unfortunately the kettle would only sing today if you were prepared to wait 20 minutes ... which we were not):
134 The Ketttle Sings.JPG

The final stop on the banks of the Severn at Lower Lode ... tantalisingly close to the finishing line at Tewkesbury, but on the wrong side of the river:
136 The Lower Lode.JPG

A rather good selfie taken on the move by Chris with me, Lisa and Wayne in tow. (Quite safe, by the way, as this was a little dead end road to Odda's Chapel with absolutely no traffic about):
137 Near Odda's Chapel.jpg

That's my Metric Century a Month Challenge ride done for June. Still going strong after 30 consecutive months.
Enjoy your rides,everyone. Cheers, Donger.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
60 odd miles on the motorbike, watched a triathlon and drank coffee..

Does that count? :smile:

Yesterday's ride was another of my jaunts to Lincoln to explore new roads with the company of @Supersuperleeds and @13 rider. In addition, the route that was planned was extended to try and take in my first 200km ride. I woke up not feeling 100% but decided to press on and see how I went.

Left home about 7ish and after popping back for some overshoes, met up with @Supersuperleeds and @13 rider in Stanford Upon Soar. A detour up Stanford Hill and the Butt Lane climb to get a couple of Veloviewer squares for @Supersuperleeds through West Leake was followed by the road to Wysall, Widmerpool, over the A47 and down through Kinoulton. All of this for me was a standard "Nice Pies" route. After this, we headed north occasionally riding on the old A47/Fosse Way until we plunged down over the Trent at Gunthorpe. This was perhaps the worst bit of the ride on poor roads with lots of traffic.

We turned off the A-road and passed through Lowdham, Hungarton, Bleasby and Fiskerton before we reached Southwell. Another bit of A-road followed until we reached the Ice Cream Parlour at Manor Farm, 50miles completed. Bacon and sausages followed in differing quantities for what was a really nice coffee stop. I had to spend a good ten minutes cleaning my rear rims which were properly gunked up and rubbing a little on the breaks. Amazing how much builds up so quickly in the rain!

From the cafe stop, we headed to the Trent and followed it and the A1 north for a few miles making a couple of detours along questionable road surfaces with the intent of ticking off some difficult Veloviewer squares. @13 rider left us to it for some of them, mainly the one for which road was too strong a word! We came to the crossing of the Trent at Dunham and the prospect of some new roads for me. Most of the roads before this were ones I've ridden a fair bit before so whilst they were nice, 70miles of familiar roads isn't the aim of these trips! We headed north and then across to Scampton, climbing up the steep side of the cliff and taking in a bit of Ermine Street. By this time, I was starting to feel fairly iffy, dehydrated regardless of what I drank and low in energy. This perhaps came to a point where I lost the wheel of those in front on the A15 and couldn't catch up at all in the strong headwind. We regrouped at the entrance to RAF Scampton to admire the Gate Guardian - possibly the only one I've seen fly! As an aside, checking my phone and seeing Australia had made 277/9 cheered me up!

From Scampton, we headed to the old RAF airfield at Wickenby for what would be the last cafe stop of the ride. The last 5-6 miles of this were horrendous for me as I was struggling to stay upright and crazily dehydrated. Both @Supersuperleeds and @13 rider said I looked drained when we stopped. A long cafe stop followed until I had some proper rest and lots of food/drink. We evaluated the end of the route as we all had at least 100miles on the board and it was only 10 miles to Lincoln. It was left to me and I made the decision to carry on at least as far as Bardney as I'd have the Water Rail Way if needed. My lack of energy/strength really showed at this point as I literally couldn't add energy to get over small bumps in the road and would be dropped every time. It was really frustrating so thought the plains west of Bardney wouldn't be a good idea and headed along the Water Rail Way to get back. Reached Lincoln at 123 miles so after a bit of riding up and down a road and round the station car park, raised 125 miles. Satisfied but exhausted. Possibly the most tired I've been on a bike (maybe save my first ton). I wouldn't have made it without those around me keeping me going so thanks to them.

13 rider

Guru
Yesterday's ride was another of my jaunts to Lincoln to explore new roads with the company of @Supersuperleeds and @13 rider. In addition, the route that was planned was extended to try and take in my first 200km ride. I woke up not feeling 100% but decided to press on and see how I went.

Left home about 7ish and after popping back for some overshoes, met up with @Supersuperleeds and @13 rider in Stanford Upon Soar. A detour up Stanford Hill and the Butt Lane climb to get a couple of Veloviewer squares for @Supersuperleeds through West Leake was followed by the road to Wysall, Widmerpool, over the A47 and down through Kinoulton. All of this for me was a standard "Nice Pies" route. After this, we headed north occasionally riding on the old A47/Fosse Way until we plunged down over the Trent at Gunthorpe. This was perhaps the worst bit of the ride on poor roads with lots of traffic.

We turned off the A-road and passed through Lowdham, Hungarton, Bleasby and Fiskerton before we reached Southwell. Another bit of A-road followed until we reached the Ice Cream Parlour at Manor Farm, 50miles completed. Bacon and sausages followed in differing quantities for what was a really nice coffee stop. I had to spend a good ten minutes cleaning my rear rims which were properly gunked up and rubbing a little on the breaks. Amazing how much builds up so quickly in the rain!

From the cafe stop, we headed to the Trent and followed it and the A1 north for a few miles making a couple of detours along questionable road surfaces with the intent of ticking off some difficult Veloviewer squares. @13 rider left us to it for some of them, mainly the one for which road was too strong a word! We came to the crossing of the Trent at Dunham and the prospect of some new roads for me. Most of the roads before this were ones I've ridden a fair bit before so whilst they were nice, 70miles of familiar roads isn't the aim of these trips! We headed north and then across to Scampton, climbing up the steep side of the cliff and taking in a bit of Ermine Street. By this time, I was starting to feel fairly iffy, dehydrated regardless of what I drank and low in energy. This perhaps came to a point where I lost the wheel of those in front on the A15 and couldn't catch up at all in the strong headwind. We regrouped at the entrance to RAF Scampton to admire the Gate Guardian - possibly the only one I've seen fly! As an aside, checking my phone and seeing Australia had made 277/9 cheered me up!

From Scampton, we headed to the old RAF airfield at Wickenby for what would be the last cafe stop of the ride. The last 5-6 miles of this were horrendous for me as I was struggling to stay upright and crazily dehydrated. Both @Supersuperleeds and @13 rider said I looked drained when we stopped. A long cafe stop followed until I had some proper rest and lots of food/drink. We evaluated the end of the route as we all had at least 100miles on the board and it was only 10 miles to Lincoln. It was left to me and I made the decision to carry on at least as far as Bardney as I'd have the Water Rail Way if needed. My lack of energy/strength really showed at this point as I literally couldn't add energy to get over small bumps in the road and would be dropped every time. It was really frustrating so thought the plains west of Bardney wouldn't be a good idea and headed along the Water Rail Way to get back. Reached Lincoln at 123 miles so after a bit of riding up and down a road and round the station car park, raised 125 miles. Satisfied but exhausted. Possibly the most tired I've been on a bike (maybe save my first ton). I wouldn't have made it without those around me keeping me going so thanks to them.
Glad we could help you can it done . Great ride with great company and despite the Trent crossings some lovely roads and scenery . You forget to mention me nearly taking you out twice stopping for a call of nature :shy:
After yesterday effort I needed a reason to ride today so arranged a breakfast meeting with big sis at my favorite cafe stop of nice pies . So out the door at 1000 normal route to nice pies and despite it being a recovery ride with a tail wind I covered the 16 miles at 18mph . After a nice relaxed coffee and cake break catching up with his sister it's back out for the ride home which I now knew would be a headwind most of the way home . Basically reversed the route and home with 32.8 miles in the bag and June half metric century done and dusted . Bike is desperate need of a clean so that's the afternoon sorted

Top Bottom