Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I decided to take my mountain bike out today to get a bit of shelter from the wind.
From Hardwick to Caldecote across the fields, a farmer was taking the windy opportunity to burn stuff that smelled like tyres, naughty boy.

On the hill into Kingston I had to turn round to take this pic, a great illustration of the last few hours. 'We're still up at the top of the pole, but only just!'
IMG_3570.JPG

Along the Wimpole Way, muddy in places from the rain. At the top of the ridge I took this gloomy picture looking toward Royston
IMG_3571.JPG

I zoomed down the hill and into the estate, taking the obligatory pic
IMG_3574.JPG

Out of the Arrington gate and up the winding lane through the village. The wheat field made me stop and admire the view
IMG_3575.JPG

Before climbing the steep hill up to Hayley I went off road to see Clopton medieval village. A few soil mounds and stuff....
IMG_3582.JPG

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clopton,_Cambridgeshire

Up the hill I went and then took a bridleway that eventually brought me out at the Red House. On the way I was stopped by these good lookers...
IMG_3584.JPG

IMG_3590.JPG

This bracket fungus made me put my brakes on sharp, it was impressive!
Here is another pic for scale
IMG_3592.JPG

Between the Red House and Bourn I gave it some welly, luckily there was nobody around, I was flying.

More wheat fields were making me take photos
IMG_3596.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/1028075888

A nice, blowy 26 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_3583.JPG
    IMG_3583.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 49

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Ride from Wednesday as we were coming home yesterday

It was rather a sad visit to Devonn as the main pupose of our stay was to see Mrs S's brother who is very ill and who ended our stay in hospital
We also met up with family who were visiting which took much of the time.

With poor weather, I only managed 3 rides

Went on a loop to Slapton Ley alongside the lake and up the very steep hill. inland and back again.
27.59 miles with 2635 feet of climbing
11.9 mph average

Was managing the steep climb out of Slapton Village until rear wheel hit some dirt and spun out to one side. No chance of getting started again.
However though all rides were short with lots of clmbing did reasonably well.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1024987402

The 3 rides totalled only 68 miles with 7582 feet of climbing

Like for the ride @Stonechat not the reason for being there.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A much nicer ride home at 0300hrs this morning, the wind had died off a bit, no rain and quite mild. Amusingly I nearly dozed off whilst riding along, only happened once before now, not sure it's possible to actually fall asleep whilst riding mind...
Woken far too early by DPD delivering a fridge for the campervan, but once I'm awake there's no going back to bed so out with the Brompton and off to Sainsburys for some mushrooms (smaller than @Dave 123 s I might add). Have now fettled the loose headset on the Boardman CX during one of those short sharp showers, another 60 miles and it's time for a new chain and cassette.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I was a bit late heading out today. But I did make the effort. Quite windy out there so I took to the lanes on the way south to avoid some of it. Then I had it relatively easy out to The Mythe and on up to Bredon. Even the ramp to Conderton seemed fairly easy. Surely I'd pay for this I thought. Still no trouble to Pershore but as I'd picked the Croome route back I was expecting to be exposed on the open ground on the way to Upton. So it proved as my average pace began to drop away. Even so I made it across the River for the run back from Upton. My pace actually rose again. Now that was a good one today. 53 smiles

gavgav

Guru
The relentless rain and gales finally gave way to some warmer sunshine and so I got out for a short ride after work. Still windy, but nothing like it has been for most of the week.

Headed through Meole and out onto the road to Hook A Gate and Annscroft, before turning out of the wind to Stapleton. Called at dad's for a chat and then pressed on to Condover, where I patiently waited at the roadworks for a green light. They turned to green, I set off and a stupid woman in a Chelsea Tractor came up to the opposite end of the roadworks, decided she couldn't possibly wait and stormed through on red at a ridiculous speed :stop: :thumbsdown: But of course it's only us cyclists that jump red lights isnt it :wacko:.

Continued on at good speed to Betton and home, with 14.7 miles done and a average speed of 14.1 mph, the first time I've ever broken the 14 mph average speed barrier :hyper:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I had the toughest time finding this thread! :wacko: I hadn't viewed it for a while, and just assumed it would be in one of the cycling-related sub-forums. :rolleyes:

Anyway, this morning I did another training ride for my European Alps trip, for which I leave on Wednesday week. :hyper: I got up at 6 and left at 6:35, returning home around 12pm. Given that it's winter here, it doesn't even start getting light until about 7am, plus it was freezing cold. My Garmin GPS computer said it got as low as -0.5°C on the way to the mountain. :cold: Even during the ride, it stayed mostly below 6°C.

I live only 15km from the start of the nearest climb up Mt Dandenong, conveniently enough. It's ideal for climbing training, with at least 4 major roads leading up it, and several minor variations, with grades ranging from an easy 4.5% to a punishing 25%, depending on which road you choose. The suburbs around it are all at about 180m elevation, and the mountain summit is 633m, so one climb is typically about 500m climbing (no, not 450m, because there's a bit of descending in there too).

I'm now sitting here with that pleasant ache in my legs meaning that I gave the legs a jolly good workout without overdoing it. I rode up the mountain 3 times, for a total of about 88.5km with 1775m climbing. If I do this enough times between now and Wednesday week, it will definitely help on the trip, because over 14 days of riding, the trip will see me averaging about 80km and 2000m climbing per day, so today wasn't too different from that.

Also, the average grade over just the climbing part of today's ride (I have an application which measures this) was about 7.35%, which isn't that different to some European Alpine or Pyrenean climbs.

When I got up to the summit the first time (about 9am), Melbourne was visible in the distance, with the area around the mountain covered in mist:

20170610-Melb-from-Mt-Dandenong.jpg

To put the above in context, as I said, Mt Dandenong summit is 633m up, and Melbourne is at about 20m, and about 35km away in a straight line.

Elevation and temperature profiles are below also, for those who like diagrams :okay: :

20170610-Melb-from-Mt-Dandenong-elev.jpg

20170610-Melb-from-Mt-Dandenong-temp.jpg

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A good opportunity yesterday for a ride I've had planned for a while. It was still pretty windy so frequent changes of direction were definitely a good thing. The final total was 120.3 miles, and an outline which I think is recognisable:

Jun09.jpg

Once of the nice things about creating an artistic outline is that it forces you to find local roads you've never used before. This was particularly true yesterday in the dorsal fin area. Completing the nose meant two crossings of the Malverns at quite a late stage. That was fun too, I think. At the top there was the reward of this view:

Jun09b.JPG

There was some promise yesterday that the wind might slacken later on so I rode in a clockwise direction. However, as seemed likely, any softening of the wind came too late and the final 25 miles from Worcester turned into a real battle. This may sound a bit feeble, but I never like to see a moving average speed on Strava below 20km/h, and I could tell it would be touch and go. I did get there, with a couple of tenths to spare.

The altimeter seems to have me finishing belong sea level, suggesting that atmospheric pressure rose during the day. Does that make it noticeably harder to pedal into the wind? Often I think it does. Or maybe moist, humid air is easier to slip through.

Attachments

• Jun09.JPG
    Jun09.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 49

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A very nice 45 miles earlier this morning on my Panasonic decided to head up towards Kelmarsh .

IMG_20170610_061438850_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170610_061751642.jpg
IMG_20170610_060945827_HDR.jpg

And find some new roads and Villages like Thorpe Underwood I also found some small slopes .

Homeward leg was mostly new to me roads is Haselbeach, Cottersbrook, Creaton, Brixworth, Spratton, Church Brampton and then Boughton , Moulton.

IMG_20170610_064241345.jpg

After Moulton came Overstone and Sywell then home via the mad mile.

Dry to start with a few short showers and the wind started to pick up towards home .

jayonabike