Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Smashing weekend nearly over.. Back to w*rk tomorrow :sad:
A mate and I headed of yesterday afternoon to get a good start for the Norwich 100 BHF ride this morning.
After we'd chucked suitcases into our Travelodge rooms in Norwich, we popped out for a 20 mile leg-stretcher before driving into Hethersett for a meal and several glasses of local cider (well, I drank the cider, he was driving :laugh: hic)

IMG_1807.JPG

Lovely quiet lanes to enjoy on Norfolk dual carriageways..

https://www.strava.com/activities/1019492168

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then, on Sunday morning, with the alarm clock sounding at 05:45, we met up at the van to drive a couple of miles into Norwich for the BHF 100.

IMG_1816.JPG

Dead on time of 15 minutes late, we set off in slightly chilly, but sunny weather. After an hour or so, I thought they'd sorted a new route. Eventually, we reached the coast near Happisburgh, and had to turn left along the seafront! Yep, they'd confused me by doing the route anti-clockwise instead of the usual way round.
Hey ho.. now all the downs were ups, and all the ups were downs :tongue:, and the forecasted wind direction meant that we had a headwind for the 30 miles along the coast.
Being that much earlier to our intended stops, the fish and chip emporiums were still shut. Even the purveyors of ice cream were closed :cry:
We called in at Sherringham feed station, on 50 miles, for a cuppa and a banana, but were underway within 15 minutes, planning our next stop at Holkham Hall, as we thought that, after the hilly bit, with added headwind, would sap our strength a tad..

IMG_1821.JPG

The run back to Norwich was on the usual route, albeit t'other way round, but then picked up the previous 50 mile course for a while before heading back into the city.
I was slightly miffed that my 100 miles clocked in at a few minutes over 6 hours , but... so it goes... By the finish on over 103 miles, I was more than happy with a 16.3 mph average :okay:

IMG_1837.JPG

After crossing the line, I was happy to receive a certificate and a beer token for the Adnams Beer Tent :cheers: and a slightly scary barmaid :eek:
Still, free beer is free beer!
IMG_1835.png

Crackin' ride.. great weather, but with an occasional 'cooling' headwind, then a much better ride back into the city than in previous years!

Just over 103 miles, my first century for quite a while, at a decent average speed, and in dry, sunny conditions!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1021215765

:smile:

PS After witnessing several accidents on this ride previously, it was wonderful to have seen no incidents, courteous drivers and some people out on the kerb sides shouting encouragement as we passed by.

Last edited:

Simontm

Veteran
Since I have no commute attm, decided to steal a couple of hours ride since the rain hits later. Up through Sandy Lane and Cobham over to Leatherhead and back down Bookham, Downside, Oxshott.

FullSizeRender.jpg

67B37717-E6F8-401F-8623-EC3F2A3582D3.JPG
Outside Bookham's Catholic Church

1E3C6A1A-26E7-4F19-878E-5719A5F6EF2F.JPG

Wind was an absolute bugger and my legs had forgotten about hills but got up them OK.

So 29 miles later, I've learned that I have to relearn downhill drops. You certainly feel everything going downhill and the bike is skittish as I've said, so at least for now, think I'll lean down on the hoods...or switch to 28s

Dave 123

Legendary Member
What a day! Brilliant, frustrating, friendship and cycling!

I started my Day in Delft. At the campsite I asked about phone shops. I have a Euro pass, but it ain't working.... the nearest shops were Den Haag or Rotterdam. I wanted to go to neither. I chose Rotterdam as I wanted to go south of there. It's only a bank holiday isn't it! A 2 hour wait and the lovely girl couldn't help. My phone ain't connecting to the network, her sim in my phone did work. She sold me a sim and it didn't work!
Off I set toward Dordrecht. I crossed this massive bridge twice, then up this dodgy road 4 times. I made the decision to go back to Delft, then I saw the Dordrecht sign!
With 4km to go the signs let me down. I'd just been passed by a local, he came back..... 'Dordrecht?' I asked
'Wahumphecht' he replied. I assumed this was what I wanted to hear.
What ensued over the next couple of hours will live long in my memory as Jasper and I rode to Utrecht at a fair old lick!
There I was nearly at my destination, next thing I know I'm 50k away in a different city entirely!
It was excellent.saw some good birds today- marsh Harrier, white storks on nests and black terns.

I'm so glad I had no fixed route as I never intended to come here, but I wouldn't have been able to do it without my mate Jasper
IMG_3346.JPG
IMG_3354.JPG
IMG_3358.JPG
IMG_3360.JPG
IMG_3362.JPG
IMG_3363.JPG
IMG_3366.JPG
IMG_3368.JPG

It did occur to me to tell him that I was going to bloody Dordrecht, but why spoil the fun?

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Nothing too exciting today. Figured I'd best get my June metric half ride in, so set off at just after 8 this morning, heading to Windsor Great Park in a hope to avoid traffic. No chance, the traffic queue started at Virginia Water, but nice to scoot all the way along the outside:smile: After 10 miles the legs decided to get hurty in a not nice way, so magic tablet taken and eased off the pace for a bit. Normally the tablets take the pain off in about 20 minutes, but not today, so headed for home after 16 miles. After 20 miles the pain went off:rolleyes:, so route adjusted and got the 50km done.
Bloomin' windy out there today, and my ride in to work tonight was fast, which means the ride home in the morning will be tough...

Gareth C

Veteran
Not today, but just got back from Scotland...

BLAIR ATHOLL TO KINGUSSIE
Iain had somehow acquired a stomach upset, so it wasn’t a done deal that he’d be on the ride. However, we set off after a quick (and late) breakfast in the water mill cafe. The first 17km were alongside the A9 on quiet back roads, then the old A9, now a dedicated cycleway, and ultimately across the busy A9 and up into the hills.

img_1836.jpg

The next section to Loch An Duin is a 7km climb up increasingly remote countryside. Malcolm managed to break his chain, necessitating a workshop stop, then we tackle the single track section on the steep slope beside the loch.

img_1847-1.jpg
img_1852.jpg
Once past the loch the estate track resumes and we pass another two large lochs as we make progress down Glen Tromie.

img_1856.jpg
The track goes gradually downhill and speed is high. On the tarmac we find an adder trying to warm up.

img_1865.jpg img_1863.jpg
Emerging from Glen Tromie into Strathspey we pass Ruthven Barracks before finishing for the day in Kingussie. Iain has made it, Malcolms bike is still working, and we arrive just before the rain starts! Just under 60km done – same again tomorrow.

img_1869.jpg

Overview/inspiration on Bikepacking.com. Today’s route: 58 km, 786m of climbing.

1.jpg

Gareth C

Veteran
KINGUSSIE TO TOMINTOUL
Today was a day of two halves: relatively warm and still in the morning, then breezy and showery in the afternoon. Iain was feeling somewhat better, but still not 100%. We made good time north on the backroad from Kingussie.

img_1872.jpg
There was then the forest section over to Loch an Eilean and then beautiful flowing singletrack to Loch Morlich, where we stopped at the cafe for lunch (and the rain started).

img_1907.jpg img_1900.jpg img_1897.jpg img_1890.jpg img_1885.jpg
After a delicious lunch, we headed out via the green loch up to Ryvoan Bothy.

img_1912.jpg
The next 30km was navigating “lumpy” countryside around the Braes of Abernethy. As well as being lumpy, this also led to us losing count of the number of river crossings we made!

img_1964.jpg img_1941.jpg img_1938.jpg img_1923.jpg
The last section had a few killer hills, a fast downhill to the road. The road was the sting in the tail: uphill, strong sidewind and further than we thought.

The good news is as I write this, were showered and dry in the Smugglers Hostel. Due to the safe bike storage being full of “stuff” our bikes are being housed in a spare room: I’ve resisted tucking it into one of the beds.

Overview/inspiration on Bikepacking.com. Today’s route: 64 km, 1008m of climbing.

2.jpg

Gareth C

Veteran
TOMINTOUL TO BRAEMAR
A relatively short (40km) day, but it turned out to be the hardest yet due to (a) the amount of climbing, and (b) the fatigue in our legs from the previous days. The weather was set fair, but chilly in the morning. After 10km, however, windproofs were off, and the rest of the day was riding in T shirts under blue skies.

First order of the day was a steady climb alongside the big, shallow, clear and beautiful River Avon to the Linn of Avon.

img_1994.jpg
img_1993.jpg
img_1992.jpg
img_1991.jpg
Beyond here the land rover track gradually deteriorates and the gradual climb becomes interspersed with short, sharp climbs.

img_1987.jpg
img_1986.jpg
We finally arrive at the top of the glen for a wonderful kilometre of singletrack.

img_1984.jpg
img_1983.jpg
img_1982.jpg
At the far end of the loch, it’s time for lunch, so why not go to the beach?

img_1980.jpg
img_1979.jpg
We knew the next section had “a bit of a climb”, but before we get to it, there are one-or-two other obstacles to overcome.

img_1977.jpg
On the way up the big climb, the expansive views do their best to take our minds off the pain in our legs.

img_1976.jpg
img_1975.jpg
Finally we’re at the summit, and have a long blast down the hill towards Braemar.

img_1974.jpg
The descent is steep and loose, but fun!

img_1972.jpg
img_1971.jpg

img_1969.jpg
After arriving at the River Dee and time-trialling along the road to Braemar, it’s time for high tea.

img_1973.jpg

Overview/inspiration on Bikepacking.com. Today’s route: 40 km, 867m of climbing.

3.jpg

Gareth C

Veteran
BRAEMAR TO BLAIR ATHOLL
The final day of our Cairngorm loop, taking us up to 200km. The sunshine of yesterday was gone, and in its place overcast skies and headwinds…

Iain was recovering well from his stomach upset, but Malcolm had succombed in the night (plus he was already empty from the exertions of yesterday). However, all the team set off, and there was an initial rolling 10km along an undulating road to the (spectacular) Linn of Dee.

img_2009.jpg
img_2014.jpg img_2012.jpg

After some sightseeing at the Linn, it was time for some off road estate track riding upstream alongside the Dee to the (inappropriately named) White Bridge.

img_2023.jpg img_2027.jpg img_2030.jpg
At this point we turn for home and head south west for a river crossing, then past Bynack Lodge.

img_2038.jpg img_2037.jpg
The track gets smaller, rougher, more undulating and certainly boggier as we head towards the watershed.

img_2043.jpg
We are eventually in the upper reaches of Glen Tilt, which is a very long dead-straight valley (and also allegedly superb mountain biking). The upper reaches are steep, super technical, and consequently slow progress.

img_2073.jpg img_2070.jpg img_2068.jpg img_2050.jpg
Eventually we arrive at the Bridge of Tarf for a lunch stop and to take in the amazing place we find ourselves in.

img_2086.jpg
From here on the riding becomes easier, but even as the River Tilt descends towards. Blair Atholl, the headwind ensures we are still working hard.

img_2109.jpg img_2106.jpg img_2098.jpg img_2097.jpg img_2096.jpg
After a nasty little climb, we reach nearly 60km/h on the way into Blair Castle. Having seen virtually nobody over four days in the remote hills, it’s a little surreal to be dodging tourists as we speed through the castle grounds on our dirty bikes.
On hitting the main road we head immediately to the water mill cafe, where we started this journey fours days ago. Lap one complete!
Absolute kudos to Iain and Malcolm for getting around when not feeling 100%. A massive challenging ride in wild, hard terrain, but with good company!

Overview/inspiration on Bikepacking.com. Today’s route: 48 km, 672m of climbing.

4.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Brilliant write ups @Gareth C :smile:

Gareth C

Veteran
Great blog ,pics and route , @Gareth C ....Must do some of that route sometime ...(A perfect ad for Scottish tourism ! )

Thanks! I didi get accused of working for Scottish Tourism, but my pictures from Fort William at the weekend made up for it - midges, lots of midges... Some pictures from the racing...

dscf2375.jpg

Spectators arriving.

dscf2379.jpg

And I thought my bike took some hammer.

dscf2382.jpg

The wee beasties.

dscf2388.jpg

Maximum points on the "sideways-o-meter"

dscf2396.jpg

Minnaar the Winner!

rugby bloke

Veteran
A busy weekend but managed to get for a couple of nice rides:
On Saturday I set out heading East then went for a wander North and West and even managed to find a decent place for coffee and cake in Moulton. 37 Miles.

upload_2017-6-6_8-46-18.png

On Sunday it was distinctly breezy so I thought I would head West into the wind and hopefully get the benefit of the wind through the lumpy middle section. According to my bike computer I had ridden 60 miles,which was the plan but Strava pegged me back to 57 - an alternative fact if ever I heard one ! Just about managed to dodge the rain, after watching it coming in from the west all morning.
upload_2017-6-6_8-50-48.png

Good to get some proper miles under the wheels, feeling slightly more prepares for the Rutland sportive next week.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
I went for a nice little ride round the Peak District on Sunday...It was sunny but chilly at 5AM as the early mists burnt off. I had a nice little warmup riding from Hartington to Bakewell via Long Dale, reaching the start of the Peak Epic Sportive at Lady Manners School just after half six (beat the queues this year). I was thinking this is going to be a good day! After tackling the Medium route (a bagatelle at 64 miles) last June on the hottest day of the year, I felt really ready for this one -went the distance now I'm not gonna stop!:training:
And....we're off and straight into the first climb up through the woods by Bakewell golf course. It's a nice steady one, but I was thinking, "steady the buffs there Mr Cholmondley-Warner, you've still got a long way and a lot of climbs to go", as I saw how hard some of the other guys were going at it. What goes up must come down, and soon it was time to tackle the next climb up Longstone Edge, which has one steep bit and then it's fairly steady after that. The views from the top in the early morning sunshine were cracking and so was the descent which followed, towards Monsal Head and then Cressbrook. A steady climb up through the woods, a short sprint along the lanes and then I arrived at the first feed station at Litton (Garibaldi biscuits, amazeballs!).I'd just made my target time of an hour and a half, so time for a little rest and refuel before the next stretch to Edale ...a trifling 32 and a bit miles with a few more climbs.
Most of the this section was new to me, as I hadn't ridden over this side of the Peak District so much, but I really enjoyed it, especially the views from the road passing the Barrel Inn near Bretton (there can't be many pubs with better views than this)-the moors of the Dark Peak were getting closer now. More ups and downs and busy roads followed as we rode through Hathersage and up towards Higger Tor. It was a relief to escape the traffic and be able to enjoy the ride. I settled into a steady pace and after one more climb up towards Bamford Edge, it felt like five minutes later when I was sprinting along the road near Bradwell.... but also thinking don't relax too soon, as the next climb is a real beast. Yes, it was time for Bradwell Moor! I'd done this one before when I worked for the YHA at Edale,so I knew what was coming, but I could see some of the other guys were really suffering, as their bikes were geared more for sprints on the flat than Peak District climbs (to the guy in the blue top just in front of me....I hope you've recovered-it was worth it in the end). After topping out, the first splatters of rain appeared, but it was just a splattering for now, as I enjoyed some nice easy riding through Castleton and Hope towards Edale. Then the rain got a bit more serious, but the sun came out again as I neared the feed station,just under 3 hours after leaving Litton. I even managed to bag the last sausage roll, so that was good timing.:hungry:
The next climb up Mam Tor was one I'd done loads of times before when I worked at Edale YHA, so I just settled in and enjoyed the views, knowing that I was nearly at the halfway point of the ride (woahhhhh -oahhhhhhh livin' on a prayer...), with a nice long downhill towards Chapel to follow...just the Sittinglow and Hanging Rocks climbs to come before Whaley Bridge. The Sittinglow climb didn't feel too painful, and I even got complimented on my efforts by a fellow rider (thanks to the man in the Blackheath Velo top !). After a few more ups and downs round the side of Combs Moss (this stretch of road is always a pleasure to ride), and compliments on my bike ,it was time to take on probably the toughest climb of the day. I was glad I'd practised on the likes of Wrynose,Blea Tarn and The Struggle, as in the words of another sufferer, it was "just relentless". But it felt great afterwards! Oh yes, the rain...it started chucking it down in earnest at Whaley Bridge and only got worse after that. The climb up to Pym Chair carpark was a nice gentle one, after the initial steeper bits leaving Whaley Bridge, the mist and low cloud were swirling around as the cotton grasses waves in the wind. I zipped downhill into the Goyt Valley, which I a beautiful place even in the rain, and eventually the next feed station at Derbyshire Bridge came into view (along with a crowd of very bedraggled riders). The rain got even heavier, and I seriously contemplated giving up, but not for long-I just thought I can do this, just get going again (eye of the tiger man, eye of the tiger:training::boxing:)
Right, just one last uphill stretch before the Cat and Fiddle:sweat:. As I waited to cross the road, an ambulance went screaming past me -this road doesn't have the best reputation, but luckily I was soon off it and flying through Macc Forest (some quality on and offroad riding round here, bikepickers) towards Langley, the Dane Valley and the final feed station at Flash. The rain gradually slacked off before stopping:dance: and even better, the sun came out and I started drying out. I was also catching up with several riders who'd left Derbyshire Bridge well before me and arrived in Flash with time to spare. I even managed a nifty trackstand in Langley to avoid an oncoming Audi-vorsprung durch technik as they say!
The tea and coffee at the Flash feed station were just perfect, as everyone was feeling it a bit by then. When I left Flash , it was nearly 5:10 PM. The cutoff point for finishing the ride was 6:30 PM. I had to do 18 and a bit miles with 2 tough climbs, plus assorted smaller ones in an hour 20 minutes.. and I did:dance::wahhey:!
I caught up with a group of riders who'd left Flash a little ahead of me, stayed with them for a while through Longnor and Crowdecote, then up a lovely little climb with 20% sections and hairpin bends , before sprinting hard for the finish. This was when I was glad I hadn't gone too hard on the first few climbs, and I enjoyed the sunshine and the views as Bakewell got ever closer. Once I'd despatched that nasty little hill near Over Haddon, the finish line felt only minutes away and I just made it in time....Yeahaaaa great baaalls of fire!:dance:I got snapped by the event photographer, then enjoyed a few nibbles as I watched the rest of the riders trickling in-chapeau! to all of you for sticking it out in those conditions and commiserations to everyone who had to drop out:bravo::okay:. Also chapeau! to the guys at Dark & White events for doing a cracking job organising everything and keeping us fed and watered.
After all that I just had a nice relaxing ride in the evening sunshine back to Hartington, via the Royal Oak at Hurdlow:cheers: (a fine place for a pitstop btw). Bring on the next one!:training:

13 rider

Guru
I went for a nice little ride round the Peak District on Sunday...It was sunny but chilly at 5AM as the early mists burnt off. I had a nice little warmup riding from Hartington to Bakewell via Long Dale, reaching the start of the Peak Epic Sportive at Lady Manners School just after half six (beat the queues this year). I was thinking this is going to be a good day! After tackling the Medium route (a bagatelle at 64 miles) last June on the hottest day of the year, I felt really ready for this one -went the distance now I'm not gonna stop!:training:
And....we're off and straight into the first climb up through the woods by Bakewell golf course. It's a nice steady one, but I was thinking, "steady the buffs there Mr Cholmondley-Warner, you've still got a long way and a lot of climbs to go", as I saw how hard some of the other guys were going at it. What goes up must come down, and soon it was time to tackle the next climb up Longstone Edge, which has one steep bit and then it's fairly steady after that. The views from the top in the early morning sunshine were cracking and so was the descent which followed, towards Monsal Head and then Cressbrook. A steady climb up through the woods, a short sprint along the lanes and then I arrived at the first feed station at Litton (Garibaldi biscuits, amazeballs!).I'd just made my target time of an hour and a half, so time for a little rest and refuel before the next stretch to Edale ...a trifling 32 and a bit miles with a few more climbs.
Most of the this section was new to me, as I hadn't ridden over this side of the Peak District so much, but I really enjoyed it, especially the views from the road passing the Barrel Inn near Bretton (there can't be many pubs with better views than this)-the moors of the Dark Peak were getting closer now. More ups and downs and busy roads followed as we rode through Hathersage and up towards Higger Tor. It was a relief to escape the traffic and be able to enjoy the ride. I settled into a steady pace and after one more climb up towards Bamford Edge, it felt like five minutes later when I was sprinting along the road near Bradwell.... but also thinking don't relax too soon, as the next climb is a real beast. Yes, it was time for Bradwell Moor! I'd done this one before when I worked for the YHA at Edale,so I knew what was coming, but I could see some of the other guys were really suffering, as their bikes were geared more for sprints on the flat than Peak District climbs (to the guy in the blue top just in front of me....I hope you've recovered-it was worth it in the end). After topping out, the first splatters of rain appeared, but it was just a splattering for now, as I enjoyed some nice easy riding through Castleton and Hope towards Edale. Then the rain got a bit more serious, but the sun came out again as I neared the feed station,just under 3 hours after leaving Litton. I even managed to bag the last sausage roll, so that was good timing.:hungry:
The next climb up Mam Tor was one I'd done loads of times before when I worked at Edale YHA, so I just settled in and enjoyed the views, knowing that I was nearly at the halfway point of the ride (woahhhhh -oahhhhhhh livin' on a prayer...), with a nice long downhill towards Chapel to follow...just the Sittinglow and Hanging Rocks climbs to come before Whaley Bridge. The Sittinglow climb didn't feel too painful, and I even got complimented on my efforts by a fellow rider (thanks to the man in the Blackheath Velo top !). After a few more ups and downs round the side of Combs Moss (this stretch of road is always a pleasure to ride), and compliments on my bike ,it was time to take on probably the toughest climb of the day. I was glad I'd practised on the likes of Wrynose,Blea Tarn and The Struggle, as in the words of another sufferer, it was "just relentless". But it felt great afterwards! Oh yes, the rain...it started chucking it down in earnest at Whaley Bridge and only got worse after that. The climb up to Pym Chair carpark was a nice gentle one, after the initial steeper bits leaving Whaley Bridge, the mist and low cloud were swirling around as the cotton grasses waves in the wind. I zipped downhill into the Goyt Valley, which I a beautiful place even in the rain, and eventually the next feed station at Derbyshire Bridge came into view (along with a crowd of very bedraggled riders). The rain got even heavier, and I seriously contemplated giving up, but not for long-I just thought I can do this, just get going again (eye of the tiger man, eye of the tiger:training::boxing:)
Right, just one last uphill stretch before the Cat and Fiddle:sweat:. As I waited to cross the road, an ambulance went screaming past me -this road doesn't have the best reputation, but luckily I was soon off it and flying through Macc Forest (some quality on and offroad riding round here, bikepickers) towards Langley, the Dane Valley and the final feed station at Flash. The rain gradually slacked off before stopping:dance: and even better, the sun came out and I started drying out. I was also catching up with several riders who'd left Derbyshire Bridge well before me and arrived in Flash with time to spare. I even managed a nifty trackstand in Langley to avoid an oncoming Audi-vorsprung durch technik as they say!
The tea and coffee at the Flash feed station were just perfect, as everyone was feeling it a bit by then. When I left Flash , it was nearly 5:10 PM. The cutoff point for finishing the ride was 6:30 PM. I had to do 18 and a bit miles with 2 tough climbs, plus assorted smaller ones in an hour 20 minutes.. and I did:dance::wahhey:!
I caught up with a group of riders who'd left Flash a little ahead of me, stayed with them for a while through Longnor and Crowdecote, then up a lovely little climb with 20% sections and hairpin bends , before sprinting hard for the finish. This was when I was glad I hadn't gone too hard on the first few climbs, and I enjoyed the sunshine and the views as Bakewell got ever closer. Once I'd despatched that nasty little hill near Over Haddon, the finish line felt only minutes away and I just made it in time....Yeahaaaa great baaalls of fire!:dance:I got snapped by the event photographer, then enjoyed a few nibbles as I watched the rest of the riders trickling in-chapeau! to all of you for sticking it out in those conditions and commiserations to everyone who had to drop out:bravo::okay:. Also chapeau! to the guys at Dark & White events for doing a cracking job organising everything and keeping us fed and watered.
After all that I just had a nice relaxing ride in the evening sunshine back to Hartington, via the Royal Oak at Hurdlow:cheers: (a fine place for a pitstop btw). Bring on the next one!:training:
A rider I rode with recently and follow on strava did this one .13500 feet plus of climbing is proper hilly . He is serious quick but he managed 13.8 mph so I now it was hard . Well done that @Maverick Goose :notworthy:

Top Bottom