Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Of course I waved - I don't think he waved back though...:sad:

:laugh:
He wouldn't he's a grumpy Yorkshireman.

A 12km ride around the local flashes and down the leeds and Liverpool canal, I met some of the young locals
IMG_0544.JPG IMG_0543.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG IMG_0540.JPG
IMG_0542.JPG

13 rider

Guru
After yesterday's mileage miscalulation I planned a ride to get 50 mile ride for the half century challenge with a few e tea miles built in about 56 in total .Out the door at 1000 .Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Quorn ,Cossington and up the Wreake valley ,Ratcliffe on the Wreake ,Thrussington ,Hoby ,Asfordby then the climb of Saxileby hill and out to the single track road on out towards Wartnaby and past nice pies no stopping today .Went left down Lawn lane to Willoughby on the wolds and some roads I not riden for a while .Wysall ,Costock ,East Leake ,West Leake ,Sutton ,Bonnington ,Normanton on soar over the new railway bridge for the first time since it opened . Stanford on soar which is 12 miles from home check the milage and 50 miles would be reached but a 100 km was a possible if I extend the route home . Barrow on Soar ,Quorn ,Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Cropston with a few extra loops thrown in back home with 62.5 miles in the bag so back to back 100 km rides for the first time and a 300 mile week for the first time

Zimbob

Über Member
Actually yesterday's ride, but only got back to mine today...

Jumped in the van, drove to Helmsdale, jumped on the train to Thurso, and cycled back through the Straths to Helmsdale :smile:

34964404281_43e0169023_z.jpg Capture by zimbob.co.uk, on Flickr

A lovely day for it, if a trifle headwindy... Stopped en route to clamber up to a broch, and took a wee trip up the RSPB tower at Forsinard too.

34285314653_94a217a63d_z.jpg Thurso to Hemsdale by zimbob.co.uk, on Flickr

34931000422_c2ae09279d_z.jpg Thurso to Hemsdale by zimbob.co.uk, on Flickr

34930954022_0e4d5b1028_z.jpg Thurso to Hemsdale by zimbob.co.uk, on Flickr

34251468204_df31b36889_z.jpg Thurso to Hemsdale by zimbob.co.uk, on Flickr

35055268526_a9b7f2313c_z.jpg Thurso to Hemsdale by zimbob.co.uk, on Flickr
dateposted-public

dateposted-public

Last edited:

TVC

Another day as ride leader for the pub cycle club (well, tail gunner and broom on this occasion). 24 miles with 16 riders of mixed ability and mixed hardware. There were a few sore bums when we got back but everyone made it round in one piece. From south Leicester we went and bothered Saddington and Bruntingthorpe before returning to bother the beer.

FB_IMG_1496582257269.jpg

That would be the landlady gurning at the front.

Set off today for Brownhill reservoir near Holmfirth. I'd seen the track towards it during my accidental Holmfirth run two weeks ago.
If anyone out there wants to do some serious suspension and trail reading practice this track is for you! Lots of rocks, drops and broken surfacey stuff that I don't have the confidence for at the moment but it definitely gave the Jamis a workout.
Progress was slowed down a bit when I made the mistake of stopping for a chat with the Holme Valley's most racist retired farmer. I needed the rest of the ride to cheer myself up!
Still a very rewarding 26 miles, and proof my Holmfirth climbing from two weeks ago wasn't a fluke!
04-06-2017 Holmfirth Route.JPG

The view is stunning up there!
This is just after the left turn above Winscar reservoir.
IMG_20170604_115529.jpg

And here is the trusty steed. Sid's Cafe is just across the road, but wanted an outdoor day today.
IMG_20170604_141956.jpg

One good thing about this route is when you come back above Winscar. It's 6.5 miles of flat or downhill to Penistone :wahhey:

The Jamis is a brilliant and smooth climber and can also handle the rough stuff and downhills. It'll definitely do more than I'm capable of! I'll not dwell on the crock of shoot review that MBR gave it. The only downside for me is the standard fit tyres that can't handle mud and snow. A set of Panaracer Fire XC Pro boots will do it the world of good (don't know whether to go for the red sidewalls though :unsure:).
There's a little bit of creakiness up front - I think Evans didn't tighten the fork up enough - or it's worked loose a bit.

Ben17

A shorter ride this morning, than last week's trek - just over thirteen miles, but with some climbs that really challenged me. I nearly had to get off and walk at one point, but I was determined not to give in, even if my speed at one point fell to under 3MPH!

This was my first mostly on-road trip. Now that I've had the bike a few weeks, I decided I'm stable enough to venture into traffic. With it being a Sunday, I thought it'd be nice and quiet, the best time to go for that first jaunt.

It was a mixed enjoyment ride, this one. I did like the achievement of getting up those hills, and when I was on them, the winding country lanes were a joy (particularly when going downhill!) However, my route took me on busy A-roads which I liked less. They have adjacent shared-use paths so, I wasn't worried about the volume of vehicles, it was more the noise and smell. I'm wondering if pollution could be a reason for me having a slightly sore throat this evening, although it could also be the lurgy! Next time then, I'll want to try to plot a route that cuts out the biggest roads, even if it means slightly complex route planning. I was also a little disappointed that too late I realised that I'd missed an intended turn, cutting off a chunk of my planned ride - although maybe that was a blessing, since the heavens opened unexpectedly leaving me rather soaked and cold in my t-shirt and shorts (see? Novice!)

I did like seeing a lot of cyclists though, with a few waves or nods hello. Watching a few riders pull away at such speeds on a downhill, that I just couldn't match no matter how hard I tried, was pretty impressive for beginner me.

strava.png

13 rider

Guru
A shorter ride this morning, than last week's trek - just over thirteen miles, but with some climbs that really challenged me. I nearly had to get off and walk at one point, but I was determined not to give in, even if my speed at one point fell to under 3MPH!

This was my first mostly on-road trip. Now that I've had the bike a few weeks, I decided I'm stable enough to venture into traffic. With it being a Sunday, I thought it'd be nice and quiet, the best time to go for that first jaunt.

It was a mixed enjoyment ride, this one. I did like the achievement of getting up those hills, and when I was on them, the winding country lanes were a joy (particularly when going downhill!) However, my route took me on busy A-roads which I liked less. They have adjacent shared-use paths so, I wasn't worried about the volume of vehicles, it was more the noise and smell. I'm wondering if pollution could be a reason for me having a slightly sore throat this evening, although it could also be the lurgy! Next time then, I'll want to try to plot a route that cuts out the biggest roads, even if it means slightly complex route planning. I was also a little disappointed that too late I realised that I'd missed an intended turn, cutting off a chunk of my planned ride - although maybe that was a blessing, since the heavens opened unexpectedly leaving me rather soaked and cold in my t-shirt and shorts (see? Novice!)

I did like seeing a lot of cyclists though, with a few waves or nods hello. Watching a few riders pull away at such speeds on a downhill, that I just couldn't match no matter how hard I tried, was pretty impressive for beginner me.

View attachment 355526
Your heading to some nice cycling areas to the east of Higham on the hill . The whole area around Market Bosworth is lovely for cycling . Plenty of cafe stops I was out that way on Saturday went through Stoke Golding

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After a slow ferry ride , a barman told me that they were saving fuel I rode to Delft from the Hook of Holland. I'd forgotten to get a paper map and although I'd gone through the necessary steps, I had no internet on my phone!
I asked a few people and followed my nose... eventually I found the campsite. I was intending to move on tomorrow but it was so bloody difficult to find I may stay another night!.

I've seen great crested grebe, buzzard and marsh harrier, plus other stuff that doesn't get a mention!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1021428160

IMG_3331.JPG
IMG_3328.JPG
IMG_3334.JPG

Ben17

Your heading to some nice cycling areas to the east of Higham on the hill . The whole area around Market Bosworth is lovely for cycling . Plenty of cafe stops I was out that way on Saturday went through Stoke Golding

Good to know, thanks. Stoke Golding was on my original plan that I accidentally cut off. I almost made it up there a little over a week ago when following the Ashby Canal, but turned around about 1.5 miles before as I was already on target for a longest ride and didn't want to push it. But yes, looking at the map, it does seem like there will be a good few places to choose from once I get past Hinckley.

13 rider

Guru
Good to know, thanks. Stoke Golding was on my original plan that I accidentally cut off. I almost made it up there a little over a week ago when following the Ashby Canal, but turned around about 1.5 miles before as I was already on target for a longest ride and didn't want to push it. But yes, looking at the map, it does seem like there will be a good few places to choose from once I get past Hinckley.
If you follow the canal there's a good cafe at Sutton Wharf right on the canal bank it's where I stopped on Sat always busy but service is pretty quick

Ben17

If you follow the canal there's a good cafe at Sutton Wharf right on the canal bank it's where I stopped on Sat always busy but service is pretty quick

Well, that looks delightful. I'll definitely make it an objective as my distance increases.

Top Bottom