Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I found that out later in the day on the local news. A body was found in the same place several years ago.

Reactions: mjr

Simontm

Veteran
Quick 26 this evening. Kingston, Bushy Park, Shepperton, Laleham, down the river to Chertsey, over the bridge to Weybridge, Walton, Molesey then home. Breezy headwind made a hard out journey and the route back didn't give me too much benefit either.
26miles, 1:35
FullSizeRender.jpg

kapelmuur

Veteran
A bit of a sad one.

Yesterday was the 35th anniversary of the death of the great Reg Harris. For those of us who grew up on the 1950s each sport had its icon. Stan Matthews in football, Denis Compton in cricket, Stirling Moss for F1, Geoff Duke for motorcycling and 5 times World track champion Reg Harris for cycling.

When I got back into cycling a few years back and started reading up on the history of the sport I found that Reg Harris had lived and trained on the same Cheshire roads I ride. I also read that his grave is in the churchyard at Chelford.

Sadly his grave is neglected as can be seen from the attached photo. A national hero deserves better.

Attachments

• 20170622_101839.jpg
    20170622_101839.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Day 1 Bilbao to Guernica

Long day today. 3 am start to join the group and onto the airport. Delivered at Bilbao we put our bikes back together. Tough hot ride over some serious hills. JaJa had the first puncture before even a pedal was turned. Rabbo's stem cracked but Horny's bike was broken properly when the chainstay snapped. That was a seriously tough 40 miler with nearly 5000 feet climbed.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Day 2 Guernica to Vitoria

We set off earlyish but the pace isn't all that quick. Not that it should be in the horrendous block headwind. The group just splintered into fragments. Horny broke another bike that had been loaned to him, this time the flange on the rear hub failed. Two climbs took us to Durango where we lunched. Then came the "Hill of Death". The temperature was in the 40's celsius (over 100 F) and the hill was not an easy one. Bodies were everywhere, resting, looking for shade, drinking and taking lifts in the broom wagon. There was a regrouping at the top in the shade. No one had the appetite to take the next loop as the heat was extreme. So we knocked that 15 miles off the ride and limped into Vitoria. 70 miles and 8000 feet of climbing!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Day 3 Vitoria to Pamplona

Another hot day forecast. I decided to crack on at my own pace to get in before the main heat of the day. I now had no back up and thirst in these temperatures was becoming a problem. Even the sun flowers were drooping and dying in the heat. After asking for "agua" I was pointed at the "fuente". Life saver. First in to Pamplona by an hour but to be fair others stopped for food en route. I should have stuck with a group really. Over 6000 feet climbed on this one with 82 miles

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Day 4 Pamplona to Hendaye

Horny bought a new bike at Decathlon. A few miles up the road he broke the chain. 3 bikes he's broken now! The guys fixed his chain and on he could ride. The consensus was to take the less major road into the Pyrenees rather than the main one to St Jean Pied de Port. It was a good choice for sure but did mean a 90 rather than a 100 mile ride. At the. border with France we stopped for lunch - on the Col d'Ispeguy. Now it was hot again. Another regrouping at Sare resulted from a cafe stop where rehydration was the priority. Cafe legs made the next climb tough. The last climb is only 2 miles long and feels fine. The beach arrives so swimming and ice cream get fitted into the programme. Then the run along the coast to the hotel is both hot and hard. Over 9300 feet climbed and 90 miles.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Day 5 Hendaye to San Sebastian

Last day today. Just a wee one we thought before packing the bikes and heading home. But no. Straight out we went onto a big and steep climb. Sea level to 1732 feet and steep enough to get me zig zagging upward. Not cool either - 33 C (91 F). We had a couple of shorter climbs later, the last being fairly steep. 3600 feet climbed and only 27 miles. We arrived at the beach where bikes were packed, the swimming was lovely and cooling and the final dinner at the Real Tennis Club http://rctss.com/ was rather good even if too much red disappeared. Then with the bikes heading north we climbed on board the big silver bird for home.

Today's ride was just a short 5 mile loop - Starbeck, down to Knaresborough, up the Beryl Burton Cycleway to Bilton and back to Starbeck on the Nidderdale Greenway - while test riding a Spa Elan Ti.

Just got to wait about two weeks for build & delivery:dance:
Just got the email yesterday from Enigma - my bike is now ready.
However we are away today to Bournemouth for the Wiggle Sportive, so will have to collect next week

Old jon

Guru
Still lagging, still waiting for the rest of life. Waiting in for deliveries blah blah but no fun at all. So! Today, thirty miles on the fixed which I did not expect at all. An alarm outside woke me twice, five o’ clock and about six thirty, when I left my bed and ( eventually ) rode away. I sort of figured that Hunslet would not be that busy on a Saturday morning, so I pointed the bike that way.

Up the hill to John o’ Gaunts, turn left to ride down the hill by Woodlesford station and cross the canal and river to pedal through Swillington. In the direction the road rises in. There are well worn grooves in the tarmac around here, some made by me, and I followed one, down the hill, right at the Garforth roundabout and the not gently rising road to the lights at the bottom of the Cliff. And gasped and panted up it. Where the road levels out a bit I did some thinking, an attempt to decide the rest of the way round. It worked, so along the A 63 through Peckfield Bar and all the way to the next roundabout and the left turn to ride through Micklefield. Keep going to the B 1217 and instead of crossing that road, it’s a straight line all the way to Cock Beck, turn right to pass the gates at Lotherton Hall. Then turn left, this road is certainly not a straight line into Aberford. Barwick next, whoever planned this road made sure it climbed every high spot on the way. Including the one the Maypole occupies . . .

On to Scholes and across the defunct railway, turn left on the A 64 and a short while later there is Thorner Lane, I should say one of the many Thorner Lanes. The breeze had a long reach there, probably the strongest I felt it all morning. And the left turn onto Skeltons Lane brought that breeze into my face. Well, I did go out for the exercise.

Red Hall Lane and the A 58, with that drop past Monkswood, right at the lights to check the old park gate is still retired, oh aye, is the Oakwood Clock still ticking? Yes, it is. The three Rs all the way to the Eastgate roundabout and the sight of the John Lewis wart. Back across the river and pedal along to Leathley Road, Jack Lane and then home. Smile firmly in place.

A faintly familiar map, I may have travelled this way before

24062017.jpg

Top Bottom