Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Day 5 Hendaye to San Sebastian

Last day today. Just a wee one we thought before packing the bikes and heading home. But no. Straight out we went onto a big and steep climb. Sea level to 1732 feet and steep enough to get me zig zagging upward. Not cool either - 33 C (91 F). We had a couple of shorter climbs later, the last being fairly steep. 3600 feet climbed and only 27 miles. We arrived at the beach where bikes were packed, the swimming was lovely and cooling and the final dinner at the Real Tennis Club http://rctss.com/ was rather good even if too much red disappeared. Then with the bikes heading north we climbed on board the big silver bird for home.
It all sounds lovely, but we need/want some pics^_^

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I saw a mystery dobbin in Bishopsgate earlier this week and wondered what it was. Tax dodging outfit Google reveals it's part of Sculpture in the City week, which is displaying numerous art works by famous artists in the square mile of the City and launches on the 27th June. More info here:
http://www.artlyst.com/previews/city-london-launches-sculpture-city-2017/
The City is much quieter at the weekends so I decide to see if any others have gone up early and have a mooch around the area this morning before the swarms of suits return on Monday.

From HQ in Vauxhall I cross Westminster Bridge, where there seems to be some post terror attack modifications going on. All well and good but it has closed/diverted the cycle lane around Parliament Square in a manner that's totally unclear and smacks of no one having sat down for a second and thought what cycle traffic is supposed to be doing, a typically half arsed effort. A big crane but a bigger Ben
P1020066_zpsb5sxga8d.jpg

It's then along the embankment cycle route along the Thames heading towards the big buildings on the horizon.
P1020067_zpshcq8vqkl.jpg

Here's the Bishopsgate dobbin
P1020073_zpss2gtkzkn.jpg

I zigzag about and find a few others
P1020071_zps4g0gkomy.jpg

P1020077_zpshujulxca.jpg

P1020083_zps4jbac91o.jpg

P1020093_zpsrgrygdyl.jpg

And this Damien Hurst one was being installed as I got there.
P1020099_zpssn7nu1ih.jpg

As I start making my way back westwards I notice there's kitted up riot Rozzers all over the place, and as I cross Gracechurch St there's a large mob of white, tattooed, ignorant, intellectually challenged yobs that look like they were after some trouble. I thought it was a bunch of footy hooligans so quickly turned off and found another route homeward. By the time I get home I discover it was some far right EDL march, and low and behold they kicked off and London Bridge was closed as a result and traffic chaos ensues, so it seems I got out of Dodge City in the nick of time. Ignorant cavemen, throw them all in the Thames and let them wash out to sea. A morning of discovering public art works, thankfully not disrupted by getting caught up in a riot, typical London I suppose, you never know what's around the next corner.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Still a bit tired from the Spanish trip but I joined Sara P, Steve E, Mark L and Mrs 26 in the Green. Jules H and Rich B were waiting at Upton. Steve called Ledbury so we took the standard run through the Castlemorton Lanes to climb to Redmarley and take the Donnington dodge for Ledbury. Mrs 26 had headed back earlier as she had an appointment bto keep. We sat in the sunny courtyard for our refreshments.

Sara headed for home while Rich suggested a different way back. Steve and Mark opted for the short route over the hills while we three went by Leddington and around by Bromsberrow. Our return was through the Castlemorton lanes and on around by Hanley Swan.

Unexpected miles today but it was an ideal day for it made all the better by having such good company. 52 smiles

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Another ride to Morden, this time the tide was in, So much nicer, Three of us went there this week, had a lovely well cooked breakfast, followed by the nicest cake i have ever eaten Rasberry Roulae with fresh cream. Again we went down on the a414 turning of at Chelmsford so we did not go through the town this week. The ride back was all country lanes, nice and quiet not to many cars. Stopped in Ongar for a beer before the last leg to home. Another great ride.:okay:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1051683659
cake.JPG
132.JPG
morden boats.JPG

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I had intended to get out early today, but it was half eight by the time I was in the saddle.
Still, it is the weekend.^_^
Local roads to warm up then down to Barwick Road, where less than a mile in I had to stop and put my arm warmers on.:cold: Bit different to last week!
Down the hill towards Cock Beck and the climb up to Scholes and got a stupid and unnecessarily close pass from WVM, but with the adrenaline pumping (and a tail wind) absolutely caned it up the hill, setting a new PB and missing out on a KoM by 0.6 seconds :rolleyes:

Anyway, enough foolishness. Through Scholes, past the Coronation Tree and after the short climb comes the long descent to Barwick, through the village and all the way down to the second crossing of Cock Beck, where Cattle Lane climbs up the hill and continues such lumpiness all the way to Aberford.
A quick right then left in the village, under the A1(M) bridge and the climb up Lotherton Lane to Lotherton Gates and left on the B1217, which after a short climb past the farm is downhill all the way to the Crooked Billet pub. I took the first right after the pub and climbed the sharp but short hill and dropped down the other side into Saxton, where I stopped in the unforecast sunshine for a pic and a quick chat with a very friendly jogger:

IMG_20170624_091121870_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170624_091225641.jpg

Through the village and on to Barkston Ash, where the road takes you straight (literally) to Church Fenton.
As I was climbing the railway bridge I saw a plume of steam off up the tracks so stopped for a look and the Flying Scotsman cruised into the station, stopping to take on water. It would have been rude not to take a few pics.^_^

IMG_20170624_092526828_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170624_093143525_BURST000_COVER-ANIMATION.gif
IMG_20170624_093234943_HDR.jpg

As I was taking the pics, another quartet of cyclists pulled up and started taking pics too so we had a quick chat before they moved on and I followed a few minutes later.

Through Church Fenton and onto Brackenhill Lane for a loop around the airfield, on roads that were virtually deserted - I passed two riders heading in the opposite directionjust before the single track section, one more coming off the railway bridge and a fourth just as I reached Ryther.
I've got to say it was absolutely gorgeous cycling along there today, just the sound of the wheels on the tarmac, a little birdsong and the wind blowing through the ripening wheat in the fields. :smile:
Anyway, in Ryther it was a left towards Ozendyke, getting passed before the bridge by another cyclist who was absolutely flying but still managed a "hello" as he passed, then on in a stiff headwind to Ulleskelf and left again to Church Fenton to complete the loop.
Back to Barkston Ash, across the A162 and into Saxton, turning past the cricket club and up to Linda's Bench for a flapjack bar and a final couple of photos:

IMG_20170624_102317259_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170624_102952811.jpg

Back on the bike and up then down to Copley Lane and on to Lotherton Gates, where I stayed on the B1217 under the A1(M) and the steady climb to the M1 roundabout and the eventual descent into Garforth, most of it now into the wind.
Over the railway bridge and down the hill to Barwick Road, under the railway line, over the M1, across Cock Beck (again) and the climb up Long Lane into Barwick.
Left in Barwick for the inevitable and unavoidable climb into the wind almost all the way to Scholes, the drop down to the Coronation Tree and the rise and drop down Leeds Road, crossing Cock Beck for the final time today, up the hill and then local roads to home.

33.60 miles (54.07km) in 2h 23m at an average of 14.1mph, with 1,417ft climbed.

Quite pleased with that. It's another entry in the half century challenge and it's good to get my average speed back above 14mph after struggling with fitness for ages. Plenty of cyclists out and one WVM excepted drivers all playing the game today. Even the joggers were chatty! :laugh:
Plus the weather was a lot better than forecast - the sun was out for most of the ride and while it wasn't as warm as it has been recently, that's probably no bad thing.

And finally, the map:
24062017.JPG

Simontm

Veteran
Went an old route up through Teddington, across the Chertsey Road where on Hospital Road a bit of excitement as a car hared out from a side road forcing the car in front of me to brake then it bombed up the road and mounted the pavement to get round a learner turning right then over the railway bridge where I presume he jumped the lights because he was well and truly gone when I got over them. Dunno if it was a nicked car, or he had done some nicking but was definitely unexpected.
Anyway, through Hounslow up to Southall, Hayes, back down to Feltham, Ashford, Staines then onto the riverside at Laleham to head to Cherstsey Bridge, around Shepperton where someone on Aeros overtook and after a degree of 'maybe' I decided no to try and catch him. ^_^ Over Walton Bridge, down Hersham, Esher then home.

32m in 2 hours.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Up late today and set off late due to watching Radiohead at Glastonbury. They were utterly sublime!
We made our way to Bourne and then the Gransdens before stopping at Waresley GC for a brew. I've been feeling a bit under the weather since Thursday and we were going to head home at this point, but I was feeling ok so I decided to extend the ride. I had a little idea........

This is what thinking of ideas makes me look like
IMG_3729.JPG

Lately on this route we've turned left half way down Croydon Hill, not today!
We hit 45.4mph, it was all over too soon though! Coasting to the T junction we were doing 28mph, which is quick on our tandem, it felt glacial.

A left turn toward Wimpole, and a tail wind. We rolled along at 22mph. Nice!
I had another idea.... through the estate and then off road to the Eversdens!

Through the tourist throng at Wimpole and then up the lumpy farm track, 10% and lumpy. We were fine!
IMG_3736.JPG

IMG_3738.JPG

IMG_3740.JPG

IMG_3742.JPG

On the way down to the Eversdens I was very sensible, it's a gravel farm track with big holes. Normally on my mountain bike I go crazy, not today.

On road to home, a couple of 6% hills that are tough on this bike, into Kingston, Toft and up the drag
IMG_3744.JPG

Back to Hardwick. 30 lovely miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1051630688

postman

Legendary Member
Old Jon,Northern Dave and Postman ought to meet up,and have a ride.As long as they don't mind riding slowly.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another 44 miles for me today, taking me to over 1,600 for the year ... so well on target for another 3,000 mile year. Our club abandoned its proposed trips into the Forest of Dean because of the weather over there, and 11 of us from the Inters and the Chilled groups combined to do an impromptu loop around the Vale of Gloucester instead. The rain stayed away, and although it was a bit windy, it was a nice ride. Mostly flat, but with two proper hills.

Took a café break at Gloucestershire Airport at Staverton after climbing up Nut Hill from Upton St.Leonards. Turns out we just missed the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at Staverton. After the café break, we headed off through Boddington and Deerhurst before taking on the short but vicious climb up Wainlodes Hill and returning via Sandhurst. My new chain and cassette hadn't behaved too well on Nut Hill, flatly refusing to drop into the bottom three gears under stress, so I'd had to do that climb in 4th gear. A good workout. Fortunately I was able to get into my bottom gear before Wainlodes Hill by shifting just before the climb started ..... cue comedy spinning so fast my feet were a blur! Reckon it's a derailleur adjustment thing. Must get that sorted before my hols.

Enjoy your rides everyone. Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

JohnnyRoyal

Sunday Ride.png
I had a good ride with the social group of Fareham Wheelers Cycling Club. It was over to West Sussex, followed by a cake(banoffe) and coffee in Rowlands Castle. I was a 43 mile loop and ended up with an average speed of 16.8 MPH, so everybody was happy with that, as I was. Thanks to everyone who made the ride a good one.
Hope everybody had a good ride over the weekend

Out with a few of Wakefield Triathlon Club this morning
A slow/steady ride, as a few were new(ish) to road-riding, & one was getting used to a new road-bike (she'd been MTB mounted before)

6 girls, 3 guys (including me)

From Castleford, via Lock Lane, Barnsdale Road, onto Newton Lane, into Fairburn
Over the 'old' A1 (rebranded as the A1246, at that point)
Lunnfield Lane, to the awkward junction, with the Tadcaster Turn-Pike (A162), at Burton Salmon railway bridge
The yellow road, in this link, we were west - east
http://www.geograph.org.uk/showmap.php?gridref=SE48662775

Through Hillam, & along the Hillam Common Lane (as used in Stage 2 of the 2016 Tour de Yorkshire), then Roe Lane, to Birkin Fisheries Café

Which was very busy..............
Selby CC, Calder Clarion, were seemingly the two most subscribed clubs in attendance

Back the same way, with a headwind

Last edited:

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
I combine cycling with geocaching, got to village to look for 5 caches only to find i hadn't saved them on phone, so wasted journey, but i did 24 miles in all, even though the wind was against me on return, making a very hot and slow return. Rain forecast for rest of week, so glad i made the effort today.

Top Bottom