Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I got out for a little 17 miler today. I do my longer rides in the evening on weekdays, now I have a ride buddy to go out to play with.
I left Horncastle and picked up the Boston Road (B1183 I think) and followed it along to the A155 to East Kirkby (where the Lancaster Bomber lives). I turned there and headed up the little road to Miningsby and on to Hammeringham, Mareham on the Hill and home again.

It's not overly lumpy but I felt it today. I took Eric, my CX on account of him having his wheels on and my roadie not. He was handy and I wanted to get back before the promised rain that never materialised.

Just over the hour and a nice ride. I sat at the top of the hill at Hammeringham and watched the world go by for a while. Well, a squirrel, a couple of rabbits and a beetle at least.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Today is supposed to be the best day weather wise, the rest of the week is going to be wet, or very wet, so today it was for a bimble. Perfect weather TBH, dull, overcast, with temps of around 18 to 20 deg C although the wearher forcast said it would only be about 14 deg C. Did my usual ride, down the A470, the onto the B4404 to llanwrin, then went back on myself as it looked like the heavens were going to open up. Then carried on along the lane parallel to the A489. There were traffic lights on the main road today for quite a distance. I was the only one at the traffic lights and as soon as they changed, i started off only to get halfway when the lights clearly changed and i found myself staring at a long line of oncoming traffic. Luckily there was a pull in. Clearly consideration hadn't been made for cyclists. Pffs. My bike says 16 miles done, although Endomondo says 13.65, so i will go with my bike. :laugh:

Very overcast most of the way, and i did think the heavens were going to open up before i got home, but someome was looking down on me with pity.:laugh:

The farmer has been busy cutting the grass in one of his fields.
20170626_120108.jpg
20170626_113015.jpg
20170626_111057.jpg
20170626_111057.jpg

Old jon

Guru
I must have been feeling oddly energetic this morning. A fairly up and down route seemed like a good idea, and that sort of ride is often a bit longer than usual too.

Gears today, hilly bits might be easier like that and off I went, a little earlier than my normal time and I discovered Leeds still has a rush hour, even on the canal towpath. But still, it took me to Viaduct Road and the first time I have seen a queue at the Kirkstall Road traffic lights. Headingley, the Ring Road and Lawnswood, still ( almost ) defying gravity, and then the right turn onto Church Lane and the peace of Adel to ride through. Just after the dam there was a sign telling all that a road ahead was closed for resurfacing, turns out it was Eccup Moor Road, so when I reached it I took the road to the left. Dunno the name, it passes the New Inn and takes you down the interesting descent through Weardley to the A 659. The alternating sunlight and shadows down here made some vanishing points, well, vanish I suppose. Unsettling, you rarely need them on a bike but I have had the habit for years.

Anyway, turn right to head for Harewood Bridge, cross the Wharfe and up the gentle climb to the Kirkby Overblow turnoff. An oddly difficult road this one is, although it does not look that steep. Climb up to the pub in the village and after that things sort of level off a bit. And ride along, dodging squirrels, all the way to Sicklinghall.

I guess you would call it an undulating ride along to Wetherby from there. A bustling place this morning, soon escaped by crossing the river and out along the A 58 to Collingham, where the temptation of the climb up Jewitt Lane could not be resisted. It is two steep bits really, the last one is the worst but there I was on the ridge road to East Rigton. Travelling west ish. Pass the top of the village and travel on to Thorner. Sandhills again, and Skelton Lane to Red Hall Lane and Boot Hill. Through the eastern end of the town centre, Hunslet and home after 36.3 really good miles.
Inevitable, really

26062017.jpg

Gareth C

Veteran
Not quite today, but just back from a long weekend in the Lake District...

I was in the Lake District for the weekend, since Liz was exhibiting at Woolfest.

img_2673.jpg

This gave me the opportunity (between helping out with unloading and setting up) to get a couple of rides in.

BUTTERMERE AND ENNERDALE
First was an exploratory ride from some bridleways I’d spotted on the map, and a cursory internet search that led me to believe it would go. Park up at Buttermere, head along the side of the lake, then climb up and over the Scarth Gap pass into Ennerdale before heading back and taking the pass back via Floutern Tarn.

img_2684.jpg

Leaving the shore of Buttermere

img_2687.jpg

View from Scratch Gap pass

img_2688.jpg
img_2691.jpg

Guardian of the pass

img_2695.jpg

Final part of the descent into Ennerdale

img_2700.jpg

Leaving Ennerdale

img_2707.jpg

Desolate ground near Floutern Tarn

img_2713.jpg

View over to Crummock Water.

img_2716.jpg

The end (Buttermere) is in sight.

In reality, the ride along Buttermere was pleasant enough, but sanitised. The climb up to Scarth Gap was all hike-a-bike. The descent into Ennerdale was largely a push, at the top end of what I would ride, but being alone and out of phone signal, the penalty for a mistake would be severe. Riding along Ennerdale was fire road, but pleasant enough. On the climb to Floutern Tarn, there was some riding, and some pushing. I met a couple of guys doing the route in the reverse direction, and maybe they’d picked the better version. Higher up the ground was extremely boggy. The descent alternated between more boggy ground, and small, unrideable boulder fields. I even passed a group where one of there members has fallen and sprained her ankle: I offered assistance, but they had all things in hand – emergency shelter was up, the kettle was on, and mountain rescue had been informed. The final few miles were even more bouldery, and my sense of humour was leaving me. Amazing scenery, and a lovely day in the hills, but not a route to take a bike.

Relive visualisation of route.

BORROWDALE BASH
The second day was onto safer ground, the Borrowdale Bash. The weather was a little more summery, and the ride along Watendlath to the cafe was pleasant (even with the sharp hills). At the cafe, scone with jam and cream was quickly demolished, and onwards up the hill back towards Borrowdale. The climb was a push, then pleasant riding along the top before the technical descent. Part way down a big hit on a water bar led to a puncture, and any questions over the state of the sealant in my tubeless set up were proved to be unfounded: one spin of the tyre and the leak was sealed. At the bottom of the hill I put a bit more air in the back tyre and carried on. The road section was reasonably quiet and pleasant, but turns steeply uphill at Seatoller. Mostly ridden, but with some breaks for photography, this is a tough climb, and any idea I had that I could do it on the road bike need to be reassessed – 30×42 on the mountain bike was still tough. The bridleway descent back downhill above the Honister road was great, followed by a short climb up to the Grange descent – a highlight of the ride. Rather steep, extremely rocky, but just do-able. Once successfully at the bottom of the descent, there’s a pleasant ride by the river and along a back road before arriving at Grange and the cafe! After lunch, a short spin along the road in Borrowdale back tot the car and another great day out on the bike is complete. This time both great scenery AND great riding!

img_2720.jpg

The obligatory Ashness Bridge photograph

img_2725.jpg

The push up from Watendlath cafe

img_2727.jpg
img_2728.jpg

Beautiful riding above Watendlath

img_2735.jpg

Taking pictures of the bees and flowers to take a break from climbing the Honister Pass road!

img_2737.jpg
img_2738.jpg
img_2741.jpg

Just about to start the amazing Castle Crag descent.

Relive visualisation of route.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I must have been feeling oddly energetic this morning. A fairly up and down route seemed like a good idea, and that sort of ride is often a bit longer than usual too.

Gears today, hilly bits might be easier like that and off I went, a little earlier than my normal time and I discovered Leeds still has a rush hour, even on the canal towpath. But still, it took me to Viaduct Road and the first time I have seen a queue at the Kirkstall Road traffic lights. Headingley, the Ring Road and Lawnswood, still ( almost ) defying gravity, and then the right turn onto Church Lane and the peace of Adel to ride through. Just after the dam there was a sign telling all that a road ahead was closed for resurfacing, turns out it was Eccup Moor Road, so when I reached it I took the road to the left. Dunno the name, it passes the New Inn and takes you down the interesting descent through Weardley to the A 659. The alternating sunlight and shadows down here made some vanishing points, well, vanish I suppose. Unsettling, you rarely need them on a bike but I have had the habit for years.

Anyway, turn right to head for Harewood Bridge, cross the Wharfe and up the gentle climb to the Kirkby Overblow turnoff. An oddly difficult road this one is, although it does not look that steep. Climb up to the pub in the village and after that things sort of level off a bit. And ride along, dodging squirrels, all the way to Sicklinghall.

I guess you would call it an undulating ride along to Wetherby from there. A bustling place this morning, soon escaped by crossing the river and out along the A 58 to Collingham, where the temptation of the climb up Jewitt Lane could not be resisted. It is two steep bits really, the last one is the worst but there I was on the ridge road to East Rigton. Travelling west ish. Pass the top of the village and travel on to Thorner. Sandhills again, and Skelton Lane to Red Hall Lane and Boot Hill. Through the eastern end of the town centre, Hunslet and home after 36.3 really good miles.
Inevitable, really

View attachment 359060

Nice report @Old jon - a reminder that I need to get out that way for a change. You didn't fancy tackling Kearby Cliff today? ^_^

cubey

Über Member
Weather forecast for rain next few days so shot out for an hours hard ride this evening.

download-%281%29.jpg

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Clevedon for lunch at Scarlett's Café, very popular with cyclists.

It was, if I could do it again, I'd stop a bit longer and have another cup of tea!

Dropping into the Chew Valley was lovely but there seemed to be endless hills between the lake and Saltford

Those hills, they were punishing, they seemed relentless, a very steep climbs followed by anxious descents on poorly surfaced lanes with holes and gravel, the last 25km really were testing.

Here's a photo taken at the start...

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I managed a little over 20 miles after work this afternoon. A few more street art discoveries over in East London, this one having appeared in the last week
P1020139_zpsaru8pjoo.jpg

I really like this one just off Brick Lane of some boys with catapults trying to take out some military helicopters
P1020143_zpsu0itmsza.jpg

And this is also new, on Great Eastern St
P1020145_zpsiuona46t.jpg

As I'm heading along Old St I notice a blue plaque on the corner of Whitecross St, its not a regular English Heritage one, this blue one claims to be by English Hedonists, and is in honour of Priss Fotheringham who ran a brothel on this site in the 1600's and was apparently ranked 2nd best lady of the night in the City and made more than a fair few shillings from a novelty coin act, 'chucking'.
http://alphahistory.com/pastpeculiar/1661-london-prostitute-novelty-coin-act/
Whitecross St today thankfully has none of that sort of thing on display, but I cycled round the next corner and saw this and immediately laughed, I don't think our base instincts have changed much in the last 400 years.
P1020148_zpsmcaoieox.jpg

Whitecross St and some of its side streets had another feature I've not noticed anywhere else......painted junction boxes, what a great idea, they are just better, fact. That's a whole lot of potential art real estate opened up across cities everywhere, here are some examples:
P1020150_zpsqlhlq6o2.jpg

P1020152_zps2wfvagdf.jpg

P1020153_zpsh3f1bqdl.jpg

I then head to Islington, stopping off in Duncan Terrace Gardens to photograph a Tree of Heaven with loads of bird boxes attached, called Spontaneous City https://www.dezeen.com/2010/09/08/spontaneous-city-in-the-tree-of-heavenby-london-fieldworks/
P1020158_zpsl2hrdxtf.jpg

You've probably seem this tree before, but don't recognise it. Viewers of Channel 4/More 4 will have seen it used as one of their idents, which they super imposed post-its or lever arch filofax paper pages on, sorry that's a really rubbish description, scroll down 2/3rds of the way down this link page to see:
https://theident.gallery/more4-2012.php
I then head westwards before heading home, one final pic of this rather spacey character outside the Royal British Society of Sculptors
P1020159_zpssjegbuca.jpg

Some interesting Monday afternoon discoveries, who knows what Tuesday will bring^_^

Last edited:

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Brathay Brutal Sportive on Sunday (my second sportive this month).....a nice easy bimble through some gentle lanes-no chance! I had a nice warmup on the B road from Far Sawrey towards Ambleside, a bit cloudy and drizzly as I set off. I was thinking, ''here we go again, it's going to chuck it down like it did on the Peak Epic". Luckily it didn't, and Mr Blue Sky decided to get out of bed after all as we set off down Bog Lane towards Skelwith Fold and a few nice easy miles heading down Great Langdale towards the start of the Blea Tarn climb (passing the ODG...sob!:cry:). A nice little warmup for Wrynose -just watch out for the potholes.
The last time I did Wrynose it was scorchio on the May bank holiday and I probably sweated off a few pounds by the time I got to the top. This time it was cooler, and even the guys on road bikes geared for sprints on the flat weren't having to sweat...well maybe just a little bit:training:. It felt great to get the toughest climb of the day out of the way and enjoy a cracking downhill (dodging suicidal sheep, or maybe they should have just gone to Specsavers) followed by a good fast run down Dunnerdale. This is one of the loveliest valleys in the Lakes and even better, the sun was starting to come out. After despatching Kiln Bank, which felt pancake flat after Wrynose, it was feed station time:hungry:. Nice homemade shortbread, maybe even Paul Hollywood might have been impressed:okay:.
The next few miles up onto Bracelet Moor and down towards Torver and Coniston flew by. Nice to be riding down Hummer Lane (an Aldi Wrynose) instead of up it. as well. That was the last of the climbing for a while, apart from a few gentle undulations on the east side of Coniston Water.-always a pleasure to ride! The views are better in winter or early spring before the trees are in leaf though.
Spark Bridge, then Oxen Park, then up the scenic Rusland Valley towards the last feed station near Force Mills (jelly babies, yay!:wahhey:) and the last big climb from Thwaitehead towards Green How Tarn. This is a pretty steady one after the initial steepish bit and rewards you with some different views towards the southeastern fells.
I settled into a steady pace in the early afternoon sun for the last few miles through Cunsey, Far Sawrey, Colthouse and Wray towards Brathay and the finish -the whole ride had flown by and it felt more like 5 minutes than 5 hours. I'm already looking forward to the next one! I even spotted another identical red Hewitt:dance:

Major ride for me

Did the 100 mile Bournemouth Sportive, and cycled to and from the hotel in Bournemouth (ride started from near Bournemouth airport at Huron.)

Too tired to report in detail. The ride itself was billed as 103 miles, reckon it was about 107, there were some late route changes.

All in all 120 miles @ 13.5 mph
6076 feet climbed.

Managed to get lost in Bournemouth on the way back, when already exhausted.
Some of the hills were quite challenging
https://www.strava.com/activities/1053752039
Since I did not say much, and am home again now, here is a little more

Rode the 7 miles from Bournemouth to East Parley (near Hurn Airport)
Set off in the second or third wave at just after 7.30
Went east across the Avon and then North
Skirted Rindwood and the Mockbeggar lakes.
Then back across the river at Fordingbridge

Then heading up NOrth and Northwest towards Coombe Bissett and the first serious hill

Then pretty much southwest for some way into the wind and rolling countryside
A tough Hill near Milton Abbas
I had skipped the first feed stop at 30 miles of the nominal 103, and instead stopped at Okeford Fitzpaine.
54 miles done (61 in total).

We then turned east - releif from the headwind, no straight in the toughest hill at Bulbarrow.
Struggled a bit by this stage and wrongly I stoppped. This was on steepest part, so tricky to get going again.
Once past the steep bit, it kept going for some way but was more manageable

Bit of a weird route through Blandford Form, then onwards

Eventually hit the next feed point, seemed a bit later than expected 84 miles (91 in total)
This was Horton.

Turned southh after Verwood and Skirted the airport
Last miles seemed interminable

Actual mileage seemed to be about 106 instead of the published 103. (They did say there was a route change at Ringwood and somewhere else)

Legs pretty knackered

Cycled back to Bournemouth and got lost, straight into central bournemouth.
Phone batttery dead and Garmin running down.
Consulted a map and found my way back to the hotel

Pleased to have done it though knackered, and dog to be walked so had to go out again.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have been getting out every now and then. I really must get my plan of trying to visit the villages listed in Arthur Mee's County books. I was going to try and replicate some of the pictures from still existing features.

As things stand, I still tend to do the same couple of rides. This puts pressure on as I am always trying to beat my previous time. I have added 3mph to my average speed since Spring but I want to mix the odd different and less frantic ride in.

How many others get to ride past one of these regularly?

DSCN0656.JPG

Top Bottom