Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
View attachment 359703 View attachment 359704 View attachment 359705 A very short ride but a big day

Went down to Hailsham to collect the new Enigma Excel (Titanium) bike

After having it set up, went out for a shortish ride. There was dampness in the air so did not linger

On the way home it bucketed down when on the A27.
Did well to miss it.
AddedBottle cage, pump and bag etc at home.

Actually a shade off colour today, so first full ride will have to wait unti Club Ride on Sunday.

Very nice Bob

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I had an elegant ride planned for today, and all went well for the first 20 miles or so. Heading northwards from Gloucester I checked out a route new to me through the village of Gotherington, which seems popular with cyclists, and over a little saddle on which sits the hamlet of Dixton. That was the high point of the day, in all senses. Soon afterwards I heard the tell-tale resonant thud of a breaking rear spoke. What to do? My plan was to head up to the wilds of southern Warwickshire, but that now seemed a bit reckless. I could go home and fix it before heading out again, but that would mean an unsatisfactory split ride. The practical compromise seemed to be to take a shorter loop back to Gloucester, and if all seemed well, take a couple of additional loops along familiar roads to bring the mileage up to roughly what I'd intended.
There have recently been a couple of threads where people have talked about the boredom of solo cycling. My reaction to these was to marvel how anyone could ever be bored while cycling. You'd rather be doing something else? Seriously? Well, today I may have found out. Thrown back on extremely familiar territory, and always anxious about my rear wheel, I can definitely say that for much of the time I did not want to be there, and just wanted the ride to be over.
At around the 70 mile mark, I passed this much-visited view of the river Severn at Epney, not somewhere I thought for a moment I'd end up today:

Jun30a.JPG

There are a few of these around, aren't there. I know of at least six within comfortable cycling distance of my home:

Jun30c.JPG

I think in this case the "Golden" refers to daffodils, not fields of wheat. The location is the Leadon valley, near Newent. Despite the heavy rain here yesterday, everything's looking quite dusty and late summery.

No serious danger of sunburn today!

So a bit of a grim battle, despite the benign conditions, and more so than the distance (101.71 miles) or elevation (embarassingly small) would imply. My head wasn't in the right place, and few things matter more when cycling.

A little postcript: I thought I ought to photograph the day's damage, and the result gave me quite a shock:

Jun30d.JPG

That is indeed a crack, quite a significant one, and I don't think it's been there long. My guess is it was probably caused by the sudden breaking of the spoke. The wheels are ancient - they came new with my recently retired aluminium tourer 12 years ago, so they owe me nothing. As it happens I bought a new pair last autumn (Deore hubs/A119 rims) when I'd just broken a spoke, but decided not to use them for the time being.

I think it would have completely ruined my ride had I noticed this on the road today. Quite a result - it seems it was a good day after all :smile:

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Saturday morning ride with a mate.
We didn't plot a route but decided at each junction which way to turn. I like rides like that, never knowing where you'll end up.
55 miles cycled taking in a few of the local hills, Ivinghoe beacon, & Bison Hill being the two main ones.The hill up from Slapton to the start of the beacon is a climb in itself, the lumpy bits added up to 2887 feet climbed over the ride. Lots of country lanes and quiet B roads made for a pleasant ride with lots of chatting. Took the Mercian out for the first time in ages, forgot how nice that bike is to ride, so smooth, the steel frame glides along the tarmac.

Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 13.52.27.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 13.49.40.png

IMG_1907.JPG

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Still a bit below par. Nevertheless I joined the Saturday Crew. Steve E, Pete M and Sara P in the Green and Jules H, Margaret PR, Mrs 26 and Phil G at Upton. Steve called Pershore so we took to the standard run out by Strensham, Eckington and Great Comberton. The cafe was very busy so for the first time we ascended the stairs to find plenty of space up there.

On the run out from Pershore Phil had a clipless moment. New bike! But no harm done except to pride. Steve and Sara were on a mission to get home so missed the fun and games. Phil and I caught up with the other 4 who had waited. Our route was Rebecca road mostly. Phil peeled off at Earl's Croome and before long we were chattering again in Upton whilst bidding Margaret goodbye. Just the standard route left now except we took Jules almost to Clevelode to bid him goodbye. Not long after Pete headed off to meet his significant other.

Nice wee leg turner today. Just enough for this exhausted body. 41 smiles

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After yesterdays afternoon/evening at BST Hyde Park, I felt a little jaded this morning. It started badly when the milk hit the coffee and went lumpy, so out with the Brompton and a slow ride to Waitrose for milk, grabbing a free coffee whilst I was there.
Felt a bit better after lunch so out with the RT-58, now with a setback seatpost thanks to @Drago , much better now with the weight moved back a bit. A steady 20 miles which kept the legs in order. No pics of the ride, so here's one of Phil form last night:smile:
20170630_220839.jpg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
First day of the month, a Saturday, good weather forecast and a forum rid planned. Perfect setting to get the imperial century for July put to bed nice and early.

So the big plan for the forum ride was to meet @13 rider and @tallliman at 08:00 in Cossington to do a 30ish miler to Market Harborough to meet @The Bystander and @PeteXXX for a 20ish mile loop followed by a 40 odd miler to Kirby Muxloe were the original three would part ways and head home. 90+miles. I decided this should be an easy 200km ride if I did 30 miles to the start and straight home from the end. Mentally I was splitting this into 4 rides.

So up and out of the door at just gone 05:45, The roads were dry despite the overnight rain so before I set off the mudguards I had put on last night came off. Nice brisk pace to the Cossington meet meant I got there about 7:45 with just shy of 33 miles on the clock, I was going to do a couple of loops and get the miles up to 35 but @tallliman had wet the bed and was already waiting so we had a chat whilst we waited for @13 rider to turn up, which he duly did within a few minutes.

So off we go over the lumpy bits near the A47 along the recently rechipped road between Billesdon and Gaulby and up the very steep bit at Goadby and to the Waterloo tearooms just out of Market Harborough to meet @The Bystander and @PeteXXX The plan being to meet at 10:15. As we pull into the cafe @The Bystander came from the other way and spotting the CC jerseys being amply filled by myself and being more sportily filled by @13 rider he came over and introduced himself. Whilst we are sat consuming bacon sandwiches (or sausage, or both or cake) and a brew @PeteXXX turns up. Nice leisurely break and we are off to do @PeteXXX 20ish mile loop. @The Bystander couldn't join us for this bit, but hopefully next time he will.

Confession time, I'd been reading some of the trig bagging thread and saw @PeteXXX contributes a lot to it. I'd deduced from that that this part of the ride was going to be a bimble around some nice country lanes. Was I wrong! He sets off and just kept going, was bar far the fastest part of the ride and then he took us up a right lump of a hill, I was cream crackered at the top of it. Thoroughly enjoyed the loop though and @PeteXXX is a smashing fella so as long as he forgives me for being an assuming arse hopefully we will meet up again and do more rides together.

After that loop it was my part of the route to get us back to the outskirts of Leicester. @PeteXXX recommended a cafe at Sibbertoft which luckily was right on the route I had so meticulously planned :laugh:

After riding down the quietest road to Sibbertoft which put me to the top of the quietest road competition @13 rider @tallliman and myself have (Running joke between the three of us) we found the cafe.

50p, yes 50p. I'll repeat that 50p. Fifty whole pence for a cup of coffee, and you could refill it as much as you wanted. Absolute bargain. I'm not mentioning the place as it is our secret :tongue:

After that we heading up a bumpy road to South Kilworth, but it was worth it for the views.

So I am now officially claiming with my brilliant planning :whistle: I have taken this little trio of cc'ers down the quietest road, the best cafe and given the best views:laugh:

When the three of us got to Bitteswell we sat on the village green and had some chocolate, I then clumsily knocked over @tallliman bike. (If I done any damage let me know and I will pay for it)

When we got to Ratby they turned left and I went right. I finished on 131 miles by the time I got home around 16:30

My 4th longest single ride and my 6th longest mileage day. Was quite a lumpy ride

https://www.strava.com/activities/1062496961

13 rider

Guru
View attachment 359703 View attachment 359704 View attachment 359705 A very short ride but a big day

Went down to Hailsham to collect the new Enigma Excel (Titanium) bike

After having it set up, went out for a shortish ride. There was dampness in the air so did not linger

On the way home it bucketed down when on the A27.
Did well to miss it.
AddedBottle cage, pump and bag etc at home.

Actually a shade off colour today, so first full ride will have to wait unti Club Ride on Sunday.
Nice bike . Are they the new tubeless mavic tyres and wheelset ?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I was out very early this morning (by my standards anyway), before 7am. Mrs ND had to work a rare Saturday shift, so the day was mine ^_^

So I thought I might try for a metric century as I haven't done one yet this year (I've done lots of metric halves, several imperial halves and an imperial century, but no metric centuries for some reason...)

I'd got a rough idea for a route in mind, but decided that I wouldn't actually do anything silly like plan it, or program it into the Garmin. Nope, today I was freestylin' ;)
Anyhow, I soon found myself wending a furrow up Coal Road as I wasn't quite sure of the distance and decided to stick a loop around Shadwell / Slaid Hill on first, just in case. Then it was along Carr Lane to Thorner, up onto the ridge to East Rigton and then Bramham Lane which was again deserted.
Almost all the way to Bramham, taking West Woods Road to Wattlesyke roundabout and down the hill to Wetherby.
I decided to add another loop on, first up the Sicklinghall Road and then dropping down into Linton - just to make sure...;)
Linton looked so splendid in the early morning sunshine that I stopped to take a photo or two at the old pump on the green
IMG_20170701_082510264.jpg
IMG_20170701_082827356.jpg

Back in the saddle and loop completed back to Wetherby, where going past the bike shop on Horsefair I noticed he had some old MTBs for sale for £20. Sadly I didn't have time to stop so off past the race course heading east. I decided to add another little diversion on down to Thorp Arch and back up via Walton (you know, just in case) and then through the countryside and up to Wighill, Healaugh and Askham Richard on that lovely deserted country road that eventually takes you to York. But not me today as I dropped down to Bilborough, over the A64 and past the Golden Arches.
Over the double railway bridges at Colton Junction (lots of blokes with cameras there today, although I suspect they weren't waiting for the Class 66 that passed under the bridge as I went over it...) and on to Appleton Roebuck.
My lack of planning then caught up with me as I headed for Acaster Selby when I should have turned towards Acaster Malbis, but I realised after about a km and got myself back on track. I then took another wrong turn in Acaster Malbis before getting myself sorted (you'll see all this weaving about when you get to the map...) and reaching the ramp up onto the Solar Cycle (NCN65?) and over the River Ouse before stopping at the Sustrans place at Naburn for scoffs:
IMG_20170701_102320718.jpg
IMG_20170701_102400110.jpg

Well and truly carb'd up (£1.50 well spent), it was back on the bike and down the cycle way. I know this can be a bit lumpy in places due to tree roots from previous experience (and the Fridays mentioned it just last week on their ride from York) but it's getting worse. In places it's making me wonder if I'll take a road bike on there again, although there are markings in various places so perhaps some work is planned?

I almost took the ramp off onto the B1222 to head via Stillingfleet, but decided to press on to Riccall, just in case I needed the miles :rolleyes:
Through Riccall and into and unforecast westerly headwind (the wind was meant to be a northerly until mid-afternoon). If you know the area you'll know how open it is around there, so there was nowt to do but drop the gears and spin it out. I'm used to such weather forecasting shenanigans from the likes of Peter Gibbs or Jay Wynne, but I can't believe Louise Lear let me down so badly today...:scratch:

Through Kelfield and on towards Cawood, where they're doing work on the swing bridge so there are temporary lights. Where we sat and waited for 6 minutes... Mind you there are also signs saying "Cyclists Dismount" that were ignored by the three of us waiting on bikes, so how do you like that, Mr Temporary Roadworks? :laugh:

On towards Ryther, and then a left onto the back road to Church Fenton. I was really starting to struggle now, not being used to the distance and battling into the headwind, so when I reached Church Fenton I'd had enough and decided to see when the next train back civilisation was. Ah, I'd just missed one by 5 minutes...and they're every two hours on a Saturday...:dry: Curse you swing bridge temporary traffic lights! :cursing:

So with nowt to do but push on, that's what I did, grinding along into the headwind into Barkston Ash and then to Saxton, where a final stop for sustenance was made at Linda's bench, where I scoffed an energy bar and a pack of Tangfastic. And took a photo:
IMG_20170701_115931969_HDR.jpg

On and down onto Copley Lane to Lotherton Gates, then down to Aberford under the A1(M) bridge, with traffic crawling along again.
Through the village and then the inevitable lumpiness along Cattle Lane before the descent to Cock Beck and the long climb up through Barwick and on to Scholes :bicycle: before the welcome drop down Leeds Road (still into that pesky wind), over Cock Beck and then rather than climbing up the hill at the other side, I did something wouldn't normally do and cut about half a mile off by nipping along a ginnel onto the local roads up to home. :whistle:

72.27 miles (116.3km) in 5h 19m at an average of 13.6mph and 2,398ft climbed.

To be honest, I'm glad now that it didn't work out with the train even though I really didn't feel like that at the time. It gets the second half of the year off to a good start, and it's this months ride for the half century challenge covered off. I'm quite pleased with the average speed too, as I was a lot, lot slower than that over the last 10-12 miles! :laugh:

A good few cyclists out, barely an idiot driver to be seen and it sure beats sitting watching a box set on the telly doesn't it? And I've now learned a valuable lesson that I should plan my rides a bit better as I could have left most of those little extra "just in case" bits out and still bagged a metric ton.

And now, the map - with added wanderings:
01072017.JPG

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Today's ride already covered by @Supersuperleeds .But nice when a planned ride falls into place . Nice meeting @The Bystander and @PeteXXX . Nice riding with Pete nice 20 loop on new roads for me . 101.8 miles for me so July Imperial ton in the bag . Another really enjoyable ride in great company . But after last month 1000 miles I was feeling it after 80 miles and @tallliman was begnning to struggle at end but we all got round . After 3 rides being bored by talk of veloviewer squares I decided if you can't beat them join them so Ive become a square chaser
By the way the secret cafe is at the glider club at Sibbertoft :secret: but I didn't tell you :whistle:

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
With an 01:00 finish from w*rk, and 02:00 to bed, I was up with the lark at the break of 07:00.
The bike had been pre-ride fettled and the porage made so I could be on my way to the Waterloo Cafe to meet up with @Supersuperleeds @13 rider @tallliman and @The Bystander at 10:15 ish. Unbeknownst to me, I'd ridden past Bystander on the way up the Brampton Valley on my way to the cafe.

IMG_2277.png

As the Leicestershire posse were on road bikes, it's lucky they opted to stay on tarmac as the tunnel were a tad damp!
Still, after the cafe stop, with a bacon sarnie and strong black coffee, I uttered the immortal words.. "We'll be on lovely quiet lanes for the 20 mile loop" :laugh:
Ermmm, mostly they were, but with Hollowell steam fair, and a shindig at Kelmarsh Hall, it got a bit busy as we traversed the A508!! Once past the chaos though, we were back on roads with grass up the middle, and a few little hills. Haselbach being one of them.. The 'encouragement' paint was still on the road from where the Women's Tour QOM ascended a few weeks ago.
After our 20 mile loop finished at Gt Oxendon, t'others headed of towards Sibbertoft and the cafe I'd mentioned while turned back towards home.
I was going to use the bridleway back to the Brampton Valley, but decided to stay on road until Kelmarsh so only had one tunnel to ride.
The remainder of the ride was pleasantly uneventful, with a mile of so through the town then bike paths alongside the Nene towards home.

Untitled.png

It was great to meet up with @Supersuperleeds (none taken :okay:) @13 rider @tallliman and for a short while, @The Bystander . What a lovely bunch of fella's! Must meet up again sometime.

A few yards under 70 miles, in decent weather, and with a rare tailwind on the way back!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1062301238

:smile:

Gareth C

Veteran
I normally post a day or so late, but in the spirit of continuous improvement (and 4G in the tent)...

TYNESIDE TO THE TWEED
Northumberland’s beaches are spectacular. Joining them all up in a fatbike journey is something I’ve been thinking of for a while. With Liz away for a weekend swimming at Swanage, it seemed the ideal time.

I parked the car up at work and relived my old commute from the days we lived in North Shields, so riding through Hebburn and Jarrow to get the passenger ferry over to North Shields.
img_2749.jpg
img_2750.jpg
img_2751.jpg
img_2756.jpg
Once in North Shields, a short cycle to the mouth of the Tyne and the proper coastal riding begins.

img_2759.jpg
img_2760.jpg
After a bit of roadwork, I drop down onto Whitley Bay beach. Just after taking a photo, I chat with a runner, who calls me “hardcore” and them am joined by another fat biker, and we ride together chatting until he needs to head off to see his mother (which is good for me, as I can ease off the pace).

img_2762.jpg
North of Whitley Bay there’s some off-beach riding by St Mary’s Lighthouse and up towards Blyth. Still nice riding though.
img_2764.jpg
img_2765.jpg
img_2766.jpg
After Blyth there’s lots of cycleway as the route meanders around to cross the River Blyth, River Wansbeck, and avoids the power station at Lynemouth. There’s still some interest though.

img_2769.jpg
However, on entering Cresswell, and stopping for lunch at the Drift Cafe, the top quality riding begins with Druridge Bay.

img_2772.jpg
img_2775.jpg
After completing the ride along the massive beach, there’s a ride through Amble, then onto Warkworth (with the amazing castle) and a bridge to cross the River Coquet, then it’s back on the beach.

img_2777.jpg
img_2780.jpg
img_2789.jpg
Approaching Craster, the route is again off the beach, but with great riding, and great views down to some of the small coves in this area, such as the beautiful Sugar Sands.

img_2791.jpg
On the road towards Craster, for a change there are interesting views inland, with some lovely cloud formations.

img_2792.jpg
After following and off-road cycleway to Dunstanburgh Castle, it’s back on the beach.

img_2796.jpg
img_2797.jpg
I was semi-planning to have dinner at the excellent pub at Low Newton, but the beach was busy, and the pub more so. Onwards and northwards… onto Beadnall Bay, and time to call it a day. I check into their campsite, put up the tent and make use of their fish and chip van (which is excellent). Early to bed, and being joined by a few guys for the section north to Holy Island, after which I make the short ride to Berwick to try to get the bike on a train to Newcastle!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'm off to the Netherlands tomorrow, so a quick 12 miler along my usual haunts just to make sure me and the bike are ticking over nicely and up for the trip.

IMG_2010.JPG

Tubney Fen. One of my busy routes!

IMG_2009.JPG

Spotted the first cinnabar moth caterpillars of the year on some ragwort. Colourful little things.

IMG_2011.JPG

Stopped for a brew at the bird hide. Rider and bike in decent working order- next stop tomorrow Harwich then NL.^_^

Simontm

Veteran
Had a couple of hours spare so went out for an amble and no clear direction. Headed through Kingston with the usual 'oh is this a road?' pedestrian behaviour through the High Street and the riverside, up to Richmond and Kew then up Hanger Hill past Ealing then turned left and headed down to Greenford then Northolt where a dinosaur was hanging outside a golf centre for some reason...
0C8F5437-6BFE-44C6-8577-1DA73795D519.JPG

Then a Spitfire on the A40 ...

A8AD920A-0402-4E48-9EA3-BC56EBCDFAF2.JPG
...to go with the segregated lane that seemed riddled with glass, bits shimmering in the sun. I'm amazed I didn't get a puncture.

Anyway, onto the Uxbridge Road and Hillingdon. When I waited the lights, a bloke in a fat car- sorry SUV- turned round to his partner in the back and asked "are you still looking at his arse?"...hope that wasn't referring to me :laugh::becool:

Nice bloke actually, let me into the overtake lane when a bus was blocking me.

Turn into the noise, smells, colours and sounds that is Southall on a Saturday and exited with the urge for a curry^_^.

Down to Hounslow, Hampton, into Bushy Park where I had an urge for an ice lolly and the hut had the urge to commit daylight robbery. Wallet lightened, Hampton Court home.

36m in 2:30.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Top Bottom