Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
What should of been a 20 mile jaunt to St Albans for coffee turned into a 35 mile round trip after some wrong turns.
Out through Potters Bar, Essendon, Letty Green and then it went wrong. We went towards Welwyn, Digswell and then looped back around Ayot st Peter and headed back toward Hatfield and eventually Welham Green, Brookmans Park and home. Enjoyable as it was we missed my favourite coffee shop in St Albans.

Katherine

Guru
IMG_20170702_120630767.jpg
Almost 65 miles today and the longest ride I've led so far. I asked if I could lead a B ride for a change as I've been stuck on the A rides for a while. Unfortunately I haven't actually been able to fit many miles in this last fortnight and I was really flagging by the end. Luckilly other riders took their turn at the front. We went to Jodrell Bank (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodrell_Bank_Observatory) It was so good leaving Swinton with the C group and then meeting up with them again on the A50 so that we all arrived at the cafe stop together. It was very good timing all round because we'd missed the breakfast queues and were early for the lunches - the chips as recommended by @SatNavSaysStraightOn were as good as ever. One of the nice things about doing a longer ride is that a greater portion of thr ride is spent out in the lovlely countryside because the first and last 10 miles of our club rides are spent getting away from the built up area where we live. I paricularly liked how pretty it was around Over Peover. It has been such a lovely day, warm and sunny and it would have felt really hot without the brisk winds.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Third time out on my new 16 mile Sunday ride. Beautifully sunny start but not too hot. It's a bit hilly at the beginning but absolutely worth it for the scenery later on. View attachment 360111
I stopped here for a few minutes and someone in the nearby house was playing classical music on a piano, lovely. Had a quick chat with fellow cyclists about the upcoming hills and then moved off.
View attachment 360112
View attachment 360113
Along the cycle track, under the trees the ferns and moss are at their richest green.
View attachment 360115
Then out into the sunshine again. Turning for home, the sun was getting stronger and my red nose this evening tells me I should have slapped on the sunscreen!
Gorgeous ride, even though I had to walk part of a couple of hills that I'm determined to crack eventually.

I know where you rode I do Sustrans ranger work along there. I occasionally see hare in the field in your photo. Nice ride.

First proper ride out on new Enigma Excel yesterday
Club Ride with H & D W to Great Missenden

There was quite a wind (at least early on) and someone put his foot on the gas, particularly around Dorney Common, which is opne and the wind whistles through.
The grouo was rather scattered and we soon regrouped.

After that more sensible pace.Went through Taplow and past Cliveden (with the hill there) through Beaconsfield andwith the latter part of the outward journey featuuring a few hills.

Having refreshed at the Deep Mill Diner, some may have been regretting tucking in so well as it was instant payback, the toughest hill of the morning https://www.strava.com/activities/1063955086/segments/26178013549 Deep Mill Lane. Seems to have topped out about 18%

Then more hills while still in the Chilterns though High Wycombe, Flackwell Heath and Cookham, before following largely the same route, aprt from a bit nearer the end

57.9 miles @ 15.3 mph
1857 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/1063955086/overview

Verdict on the bike
Nice and light and responsive. It does indeed absorb some of the road vibrations
The Di2 changing is good too.

Think I will enjoy riding it!!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
First off, yesterday's ride - a 71 miler to Harwich to get the ferry to NL
IMG_3458.JPG

Once off the fen you get some nice rolling country into Suffolk with a few testing hills.

IMG_3459.JPG

On into Essex and this nice gaff nesr Dedham. Then on through manningtree and along the unnecessarily hilly coast road along the Stour estuary into Harwich.

IMG_3462.JPG

Made it. Sat in a sunny beer garden In the old town before sauntering over to the boat.

IMG_3465.JPG

And very civilised it all is too- bikes get on first. Had a beer on deck watching the sunset as we prepared to leave Blighty. Not a bad way to end a near perfect ride.

IMG_2023.JPG

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Day 2 (today) Hook to Willemstad- 47 miles.
IMG_3471.JPG

In order to avoid Rotterdam I jumped on the small Maasvlakte ferry from the Hook giving a more rural option once away from the port area. The ticket guy is worth the price alone - a real character. Top bloke too.

IMG_3472.JPG

Leaving the port area. The main down side to this choice of route is blowing sand. My poor new chain. I wouldn't risk it again on a windy day like today.

IMG_3474.JPG

A quick brew at Breile.

IMG_3478.JPG

Went through a big woodland at one point that was lovely. Saw what I think might have been a pallid harrier- definitely too pale and smaller than the marsh harriers on my home patch.

IMG_3481.JPG

Some poppies caught my eye.

IMG_3483.JPG

Had a bite to eat by this windmill at Zuid Beijerland.

IMG_3486.JPG

Over the Hollands Diep on a massive bridge where I nearly lost my cap to the wind.

IMG_3488.JPG

The last mile. another good day in the saddle - I bloody love Holland!

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After falling short of my metric half yesterday due to gardening duties, I set off this morning to rectify that. A few of my lesser used roads through to Chobham and then back via Lightwater to finish with a couple of laps of Windsor Great Park. 42.2 miles done, and the July ride in the bag. Hopefully get the metric century done Friday...

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
The usual ride tonight. Riding out of Brewood, I saw what I thought would be an easy catch, (I don't get many of these days), a late middle aged bloke out for a ride on some shopper type thing. It seemed ages before I caught him and I was soon doing 18mph up a slight hill. This depressed me and it was only going up the hill (still doing 17mph) to Bishops Wood that I heard an electrical hum!

Much later, I'm in the narrow lanes around Chillington when parked on the road with barely 100mm clearance either side is a massive removal lorry. I can't get by and the remarkable unhelpful driver isn't forth coming with how long it's going to be there.

Not wanting to retrace my wheel tracks, I have the very bad idea of cutting through a field. I nearly come a nasty one getting over the fence wearing Time cleats and start through the field. Not the best thing for a chronic hay fever sufferer to do.

By the time I have sneezed my way to the far side of the field where I assumed there would be a gate, my shoes and socks were full of horrible prickly seeds. Behold! No gate! Having realised I would now have to track to the very far corner of my field, the damned lorry starts up and heads down the road.

To restore my karma, I have decided to grow some of the seeds stuck in my socks and feet.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Not one, but two rides today. This morning's ride: Had a pass from Mrs Donger to drive over to Vielsalm to watch the Tour de France roll by. There's another thing to tick off my bucket list. Researched the area by Google Maps again, and did a bit of a reccie by car yesterday. Decided to park up outside a little village football ground in Sart near Lierneux, and ride my bike into Salmchateau about three miles down the hill from there. Google maps showed a couple of little back lanes in Salmchateau that looked useful, and I reckoned (correctly, it turns out) that it might be possible to ride up to the bigger town of Vielsalm even if the roads to be used for the race are closed. Arrived in Salmchateau about an hour before the peloton came through - though had a bit of a start as the first thing I saw was people leaving in droves and heading for their cars. Turned out I hadn't miscalculated, and they were just stowing away all the free crap that had been handed out by the tour caravan. Salmchateau was pretty much barricaded off:
163 Salmchateau.JPG

There was a little alley just off picture to the left, which I took to pick my way through some narrow back streets to a better viewing point by a railway bridge, but I also found the narrow track that led along the side of the railway line all the way to Vielsalm. Crowds were still pretty sparse there, and it was just a straight stretch of unremarkable high street. I ignored the various TdF vehicles passing with regularity even 45 minutes before the race was due to pass, and made my way back to the railway path - as much just to keep moving as anything. (I had a bike, so I might as well use it). Crossed over the railway bridge and turned right and the track eventually became a proper road leading uphill (of course!) to a suburb called Rencheux. From there I was able to drop down into another part of Vielsalm and take up a cracking position opposite a large and very impressive looking church, and with my back to a large stone-built inn with a widescreen TV in the beer garden showing the British Eurosport coverage of the race. Result! I even had a little nook in the wall to place my bike, and a large stone planter to stand on with a lamp post to steady myself with so I could get an elevated view of the road. A motorbike journalist for l'Equipe pulled up alongside just before the riders appeared. Drunken Dutch blokes behind me provided my sound track. (None of them threw any urine at Froomey):
166.JPG

Here's one of Team Sky and the yellow jersey wearer, Geraint Thomas coming through. (Hoorah!):
168.JPG

... followed by the bulk of the peloton:
169.JPG

and the AG2R boys not exactly busting a gut today ...
170.JPG

Then almost before you could blink, that was it .... except for dozens more support vehicles
172.JPG

Chuffed to bits to catch that on my hols. The fun didn't stop there. When the van with a sign saying "Fin de Course" came by, the road was re-opened and I could take the short route back to Salmchateau on the main road. Some small children applauded me in error as I passed in my Kingsway CC club kit, :bicycle:and a few groups of wags heckled me rather well. One clearly shouted that I was "en r'tard" while another group cheered me loudly and when I played along and asked which way the others had all gone, they pointed ahead and shouted that I was only "deux minutes" behind! :laugh:

The 3 mile climb back to where I had left the car was well worth it, as they had been triple parked outside Salmchateau and it was mayhem. A steady stream of cars then passed me on my way up the hill - every one of them giving me plenty of room. I very much hope I will get the chance to do that again many more times in future. What a wonderful atmosphere and what great stage management of the event. 10.3 miles cycling too.
Vive le Tour! Cheers, Donger.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Today's second ride: After my trip to see the Tour de France, I even managed to get a second ride in this evening after dinner on the balcony. Just a little 8.5 mile loop, but it put some more lines on the map, and included two more climbs. I reckon about half a mile of it was on the flat, and the rest was all either up or down.

Dropped down into Barvaux, where I crossed the river Ourthe and immediately started to climb. At least at first the road had the decency to wind around a bit as it rose up through a residential area, but as soon as I got past that it turned into another of those sapping 2-3 mile dead straight 5% climbs they have all over the place around here ... all the way to the village of Tohogne:
174 Tohogne.JPG

That was followed by a lovely long glide down through the woods back towards Durbuy:
175 Woods near Durbuy.JPG

... where Mrs Donger caught sight of me riding through the old town way down below the house and got a snap on full zoom:
177 Seen from above.JPG

All that remained was the "13%" hairpinned climb back up to the house, which is next to the hilltop belvedere. I managed it again, but am truly glad I got my rear derailleur sorted before my hols. It's a bit of a beast, and you need to be in very low gear before you come round this corner:
178 The climb to the belvedere.JPG

They say pride comes before a fall. I proved that to be true today. I was still congratulating myself for breezing it up that last climb, when it all went Pete Tong. Arriving back at the house, I stupidly opted to ride into the gravel driveway with my feet still in the straps. Cue the inevitable. Anyway, I picked myself up off the ground after side sliding into the gravel on one knee. Will have a few bumps and bruises in the morning, but no real harm done - other than a bloodied knee and a dented ego. At least nobody witnessed it. Mental note to self: Never try to ride on deep gravel Donger, you idiot.
Cheers, everybody. Donger.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I was a little late getting out but it seemed like a good idea to string together a few lanes I don't use so often these days to visit our friends in Colwall. It was a standard run out over Alfrick Pound and Acton Green to climb again at Halmond's Frome. Then at the bottom of Fox Hill I checked the time to see that it was time to head to Colwall. That meant the climb over Wellington Heath from Peg's Farm. My friends greeted me when I arrived and we chatted until Mrs 26 appeared after taking her mother to see the Doc. Lovely evening was had. It was late and dark by the time we left so I had to put the bike in the car. Nice wee outing today. 27 smiles and 1974 feet of ascent too.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A nice easy 23 mile saunter through the Dutch countryside from Willemstad to Breda today.

IMG_2052.JPG

Willemstad is a really lovely little place and looked nice this morning in the sunshine.

IMG_2055.JPG

After my Garmin threw another wobbly and had me thinking I'd never figure the way out of town, I hit the road.

IMG_2057.JPG

Quite warm here today in the sunshine so good to have some shade.

IMG_2056.JPG

On a dog bin I found my new favourite foreign language word after barberskum (shaving foam) - 'hondenpoep''. You can dispose of kingfishers in the same bin which is always handy.

IMG_2058.JPG

I followed this lady for about a mile, she's maybe about 65, bag hanging off handlebars, normal clothes. She veered off eventually at a bakers. They do seem to have got life sussed over here.

IMG_2060.JPG

Despite the best efforts of my Garmin to send me off somewhere else, I eventually made it to Breda. Looks like a cracking place too. Just met Mrs G off of the train from Schiphol so here now for 3 days, then on to Baarle Nassau then home.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I've got company for my ride on Friday, so I figured I'd go look at a small part of the bit I've not done before. Known roads out as far as Eton Dorney, then new territory for me up over the M4 until I met the A4 Bath Road. A small bit of that, passing the VW garage where we bought Mrs Cosmicbikes car some 17 years ago. Back home via some lovely roads through Bray & Fifield before finding myself back in Windsor. Pretty much straight home form there. A pleasing 40 miles done. Back to the commute tomorrow.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another pleasant 20 miler before breakfast this morning. Headed out of Durbuy along the valley of the River Ourthe via the lovely riverside cycle path,
179 Durbuy valley cycle path.JPG

then picked up a couple of more main roads in a clockwise loop through typical Ardennes countryside:
180.JPG

.... through Ocquier and over another stretch of pave road:
181 Ocquier.JPG

.... before taking a short cut back through the woods (up and over again). I have always loved maps, and I put a lot of trust in them. In this instance, though, I couldn't fathom why on earth this was the only road for miles around that wasn't shown with a green line along it. Not scenic enough?:
182.JPG

In the next little stretch of woodland, I came across a rather untended looking memorial to the 11 crewmen of a USAAF bomber that crashed there in 1944. I paused to pay my respects:
183 USAAF memorial.JPG

I decided to take a different route back up to the Rue des Cretes when I got back to Durbuy, but regretted it when I got there. It may have been less steep than the one I have been using, but it has also mostly been washed away by a stream, and is in an awful state. Not only that, but the steepest parts are mostly gravel, too. My knee hasn't fully stopped bleeding after last night's little escapade on gravel (and my bike is still a bit bent), so I decided that discretion was the better part of valour, and got off and walked. Arrived back at the Rue des Cretes with the computer showing exactly 20 miles. Another really nice ride.
184 Rue des Cretes.JPG

Sat on the balcony drinking coffee and eating toast and Ardennes pate and looking at this view:
11 View of Durbuy from gite.JPG

I am going to miss this place. What a great base for cycling.
Cheers, Donger.

Top Bottom