Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
After a 2 week gap since my last ride, due to catching my second Cold in 6 weeks :sad: and then being away on my annual Cricket Club Tour, I managed to get out this evening due to a change in plans at the last minute.

Very windy from the West, once again :wacko: but warm, as I headed through Meole Brace, Hook-a-Gate, Annscroft and over to dad's for a half hour chat with him.

Journey home, with the wind behind me most of the way was easier going, through Ryton, Condover, Betton and Sutton Farm Estate, to avoid yet another set of roadworks on that stretch of road.

14.8 miles at 13.7mph. Also passed the 6000 mile barrier, since I started using Strava in August 2013

Another pleasant 20 miler before breakfast this morning. Headed out of Durbuy along the valley of the River Ourthe via the lovely riverside cycle path,
View attachment 360379
then picked up a couple of more main roads in a clockwise loop through typical Ardennes countryside:
View attachment 360380
.... through Ocquier and over another stretch of pave road:
View attachment 360381
.... before taking a short cut back through the woods (up and over again). I have always loved maps, and I put a lot of trust in them. In this instance, though, I couldn't fathom why on earth this was the only road for miles around that wasn't shown with a green line along it. Not scenic enough?:
View attachment 360384
In the next little stretch of woodland, I came across a rather untended looking memorial to the 11 crewmen of a USAAF bomber that crashed there in 1944. I paused to pay my respects:
View attachment 360385
I decided to take a different route back up to the Rue des Cretes when I got back to Durbuy, but regretted it when I got there. It may have been less steep than the one I have been using, but it has also mostly been washed away by a stream, and is in an awful state. Not only that, but the steepest parts are mostly gravel, too. My knee hasn't fully stopped bleeding after last night's little escapade on gravel (and my bike is still a bit bent), so I decided that discretion was the better part of valour, and got off and walked. Arrived back at the Rue des Cretes with the computer showing exactly 20 miles. Another really nice ride.
View attachment 360386
Sat on the balcony drinking coffee and eating toast and Ardennes pate and looking at this view:
View attachment 360390
I am going to miss this place. What a great base for cycling.
Cheers, Donger.
Nice to read about the trip

Simontm

Veteran
So couldn't think where to go this evening and the wife just said: 'Out.' As in away from London. So...Windsor. Took the Bushy Park, Hanworth, Heathrow route. Stanwell Moor and over M25 to Horton and its pretty church, St Michael's...
IMG_3811.JPG

Onto Datchet , Eton and then Windsor...
IMG_3814.JPG
A quick banana then Old Windsor, Runnymede, Staines, through Laleham to Thameside and up to Chertsey Bridge. Down Renfree where I saw my first group ride of the evening, quickly followed by a second in Lower Sunbury. Despite the impressive speed, I'm not surprised that locals look agressively on us as they were riding two, three abreast. Not arguing they were wrong to do so, just that I know how it can be interpreted by the 'I've a car and important' mob.
Anyways, onto Hampton Court then home.

39 miles, 2:12
FullSizeRender.jpg
Kinda disappointed that my wife is no longer surprised by these types of trips :laugh::laugh:

Went out early enough to miss worst of the heat.
Did fairly flat course round Shepperton and Chertsey.

Push on moderately hard, by no means all out.
Had to contend with traffic queues in a few places, on he road toward Walton, and roadworks traffic lights in Chertsey. Somewhere else too.
25.9 miles @ 17.0 mph, a good speed considering the slow downs.

No hills apart from half a dozen motorway bridges.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1068520000/segments/26290502662

Nice feel to the new bike, and clearly I could do a bit faster

Simontm

Veteran
Again putting off the three hills of Ride London, I went for the three homes of national sports.
Through Kingston up to Twickenham and my first stop, the RFU and Twickenham stadium...
IMG_3816.JPG
Then through to Ealing and the North circular and a quick stop at the Ace Cafe...
IMG_3818.JPG
Before heading to Wembley and the home of English football...
IMG_3820.JPG
A quick stop at Neasden to marvel at that wonderful temple...
IMG_3822.JPG
Then south eastwards - in fact a bit too south as I had to pop back up through Kilburn to get to St Johns Wood and the home of Cricket, the MCC and Lords...
IMG_3825.JPG
From there I bombed south through the west end and onto Kings Road, from there to Putney then Priory Lane and Richmond Park. Over Spankers Hill to Kingston again, Surbiton then home.

45 miles, 3:04

FullSizeRender.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Due to circumstances beyond my control (got made redundant yesterday :rolleyes:) I have a bit of free time so got out for a ride. I haven't been out to the Long Mynd for a while so headed south to Church Stretton then Little Stretton and climbed up through Minton, Hamperley and Nutbatch to come out onto the plateau by the gliding club. Then it was across the top taking in the summit (Pole Bank) and Wild Moor before descending on one of the bridleways that brought me to Plush Hill then another bridleway to Gogbatch before heading home past Longnor, Acton Burnell, Pitchford and Condover.

I'd picked the warmest part of the day but managed alright, making good progress on the flat bits and finding the hills a little easier than last time I rode this way. The Raleigh rode very well on the gravel and grass trails despite being on slicks.

There were two red kite soaring on the ridge-lift by the gliding club and the ponies roaming the moors are becoming quite numerous.

39.1 miles for the trip at 13.1 mph average which I think is quite quick considering the climbing involved.

DSC0004695.jpg

Sunlight through the trees on the way to Hamperley.

DSC0004696.jpg

Starting the climbing proper up Nutbatch.

DSC0004700.jpg

Further up the climb and I'm into the forestry plantation.

DSC0004704.jpg

The view from the ridge on the way to the gliding club.

DSC0004708.jpg

A glider on final approach.

DSC0004710.jpg

The trig point at Pole Bank.

DSC0004713.jpg

Some of the Long Mynd ponies as I start my descent.

DSC0004715.jpg

On the bridleway to Gogbatch.

DSC0004718.jpg

More ponies.

TigerT

Veteran
Due to holidays and bad weather, it's been a month since my last ride, so on seeing the weather forecast I booked the day off. As usual I had no real plan, but as it was looking as though it would be hot, I decided to head for part of the Rhine that I haven't done before hoping there would be a bit of a breeze.

After almost missing the train to Schaffhausen - the starting point for Route 2 Stage 5, I headed down to the starting point, double checked I had my passport as I would be heading into Germany and set off.

I left Switzerland almost immediately heading into Germany via an unmanned crossing keeping the Rhine on my right heading through Büsingen then passing by Diessenhofen, which looks very pretty, but the border crossing was busy so I didn't cross over and visit. Heading through some woods I saw my first ever Red Squirrel. I finally crossed back into Switzerland after about 20kms and arrived at my planned break point Stein am Rhein. This is one of my favourite places, it's so unspoilt and the buildings are lovely. Stopped in a cafe for a cold drink instead of the usual coffee as the temperature was already hitting 26 degrees.

That was the planned half way point with the intended end point being Kreuzlingen so setting off again, this time with the Rhein on my left I went through numerous pretty villages criss crossing the railway line until the Bodensee (Lake Konstanz) came into sight. I was still feeling quite good despite the temperature nudging 30 degrees so stayed on Route 2 and gave Kreuzlingen a miss cycling directly between Kreuzlingen and Konstanz and on towards Romanshorn (which would definitely be my end point as it's the last sensible place to get a train home).

It's here that the Rhine flows into the Bodensee and the views were wonderful. Across the other side of the lake is Friedrichshafen where the Zeppelins were built. The still fly a modern one from there today and this was out over the lake. Unfortunately it's white and wouldn't show up on photos. I'd love to go up in it! I finally got to Romanshorn 4 hours after starting out. I just missed a train and had an hour to kill, so filled that up with cold drinks and an Ice Cream before catching the train home.

Just short of 70kms and probably the hottest day I've ever cycled on. But there were breezes and I really enjoyed it.

Here are a few photos.

20170705_075429151_iOS.jpg
The starting point at Schaffhausen

20170705_082648659_iOS.jpg
Diessendorf, must go back and visit properly. Just down the path there was a Red Squirrel, but it didn't wish to pose :-(

20170705_091552167_iOS.jpg
Break Time at Stein am Rhein

20170705_102442232_iOS.jpg
The start of the Bodensee.

Capture.JPG
And finally the map.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A hot, 30 degree day in Belgium today, so I left it late before going out for an 18 mile spin from Durbuy round to Barvaux, Bomal and Vieuxville, setting off at about 8pm. It turned out that my clever cut-through at the far point of my ride was actually a dead end, so I had to plot myself an alternative route back through the woods before the sun went down. By the time I'd climbed my way back up the steep little hill to the house, my lights were on and very much needed. Another great little ride on virtually empty roads. Wanted to get as many miles in as possible before dark, as we're off out early in the car tomorrow and thunderstorms are predicted for tomorrow evening. A few more pictures:
185 Barvaux.JPG

Barvaux (above and below):
186.JPG

187 near Boml.JPG

Near Bomal (above and below):
188 Bomal.JPG

Nearing the end of this, my third holiday in the Belgian Ardennes. Really can't recommend it highly enough to you all. Lovely cycling. Great beer (no wonder those trappists can't speak). Having a great time.
Cheers, Donger.
p.s. Sorry to hear your news, @Rickshaw Phil. Hope you find yourself another job soon. Best wishes.

Last edited:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Sorry to hear of your circumstances @Rickshaw Phil, as you say, something will no doubt turn up.

Had a quick scoot to find a 5mm spacer with Di2 junction box atachment, and ended up cycling to The Bike Rooms, Evans and Rapha in the city centre, then down to Withington Cycles. Didn't find one in store but the trusty gents at Withington have ordered one for me to pick up on Friday.

Went through a little park (Alexandria) Ive never been through before, which was nice.

Photo 05-07-2017, 17 31 55.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/1069028247

Last edited:
Top Bottom