Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Three rivers in thirty one point eight miles. Which brings me to wonder, when does a stream become big enough to be a river? I may enquire of a cartographer. Anyway, a bit of thought, its Carnival in Leeds, Festival at Bramham Hall and no doubt all sorts of other stuff around and about. Not seen anything advertised for Otley and its environs today, so in that direction I shall pedal.

To the towpath for a start, and leave the canal at Viaduct Road. The ride to the Ring Road at Lawnswood seems easier these days, I must be slowing down. Straight across the roundabout and turn right a distance further along for Adel Lane, which becomes Church Lane and after crossing Adel Dam, which was the mill dam long ago, the map and Google Earth are no help in identifying if it is a stream, beck or river in this case, but now on Eccup Lane until I turn left onto Arthington Road. After some ordinary riding along this it turns into Black Hill Road and definitely not ordinary!

The last bit of road in the video is old faithful, the A 659, which leads to Pool, where I absentmindedly turned left for Otley, but realised soon enough so I rode a little detour around the back of the petrol station and was back on my intended track again. Across the Wharfe, bridge provided, and take the next left. A mile or so later, turn left over Leathley Bridge, that’s the Washburn crossed, and the long climb to Farnley Hall is worth it ‘cos the next bit is downhill to Otley. Cross the River Wharfe again here, through the town and out along Leeds Road yet again. Turn off the A 660 in Headingley, drop down to Kirkstall and cross the River Aire again just downstream of Kirkstall Abbey. Surprisingly light traffic all the way around, and I reached home just before the rain did. Lucky me.

Lots of other riders out today, but I cannot see them on this map . . .

27082106.jpg

Got the 100k done today(not the Strava 130 though).

Bit early to join the club run so started with a Littleport loop and then joined the route back in Queen Adelaide.At the last railway crossing(there's three of 'em in one small village!)a bod was by the side on her phone,asked her if she was ok and she said she'd come off on the rails but was ok-ish and was getting someone to pick her up so carried on towards Prickwillow.

On the Isleham road saw the two groups ahead saw caught up the easy riders and was able to join the mods as they were not bashing it;nice run in to La Hogue in Chippenham(apart from the HRM playing up).

After an espresso and chat we back off and heading home via Fordham and then a nice bash down the road from Soham to Streatham and then back to Witchford and Ely;after a little Ely loop did a run up to Pymoor and back to finish the 100(just!) back in Ely.

https://www.strava.com/activities/690650375

Was going to head back out with the better half to look at some bikes in Littleport and do the Strava 130 condo but weather had turned so she didn't fancy it so made do with just a 100:whistle:.

iandg

Legendary Member
I needed some small items for a job on the Marina where i live but i wanted to get the parts from the Marina at Willington(Mercia Marina) there is a branch of Midland Chandlers there,i normally collect 4 sacrificial anode @2.6Kg each :surrender:on the Shopping Trolley(Aerospace Sport) but not today only small light parts so i went on the Viscount Aerospace Pro:becool:, it has sprint rims and tubular tyres, very comfy ride and quick for me. 25Mile round trip just about all flat.
Avg. 14.6 out into slight head wind
Avg. 17.9 back tail wind
https://www.strava.com/activities/689547662

View attachment 141364

View attachment 141368

Love that Viscount - I remember selling them when I worked in a bike shop :smile:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Two rides - yesterday was just a shake down ride after getting the new bike refettled and adjusted.

A very enjoyable, if short, 10k into the local countryside and back:
IMG_20160826_155111995_HDR.jpg

Hard to believe that the council are absolutely busting to bury all this farmland under concrete so they can put in yet another office / retail park isn't it?
How many generic office buildings with next to no public transport links does one city need? :cursing:

And so to today, when a more lengthy ride was in order.
The day started bright and sunny, although quite breezy and I was out early on the new bike and up Coal Road, then Red Hall Lane, a quick squirt along the A58 and left onto Whin Moor Lane for the very pleasant ride to Shadwell.
In Shadwell I turned right and descended all the way through the village looping back towards the A58.
Up the sharp slope, across the A58 and onto the undulating Carr Lane for a very enjoyable run into Thorner, before heading up the short but steep hill onto Milner Lane. Still getting used to the carbon bike, but you really can feel the difference when climbing ^_^
Along the ridge all the way to East Rigton Green, then up Bramham Lane, across Jewitt Lane and back out onto Thorner Lane.
Accelerated hard down into the dip, generating enough speed (33.5mph) that I was back up the other side almost before I'd realised it, then on to Bramham past the festival traffic.
Round through Bramham, slightly checked by more traffic and up Town Hill - always hard work, but not quite as hard work today.
Then the down the 'windmill' hill where despite hitting a bit of traffic I achieved 43mph down the hill:hyper:^_^
Into Clifford, looping up to Boston Spa and back to Clifford, then into Bramham and up over the A1(M) bridge and back past Bramham Park where the great unwashed were starting to surface ;)
Kudos to the guy behind me in the blue truck with the digger on the back who held back, giving me loads of room and let me maneuver onto Thorner Lane when he could have quite easily bullied his way past :okay:
Straight along there to the Milner Lane junction and then on along the ridge, pausing for a drink and a of pic:
IMG_20160827_094446844.jpg

A couple of other cyclists passed while I was stopped and I caught one of them on the short climb back into Thorner where we exchanged hellos.
He caught me up again as we got to Main Street and found the traffic about as busy as I've ever seen it in Thorner - almost gridlock! :laugh:
Anyhow, a nice cement mixer driver waved us across into the queuing traffic but it was stop start stop start along the street so i stopped to give it five minutes to clear while the other guy carried on.
I caught up with him at the foot of Sandhills (or Van Zyl Hill as we call it now) and we had another quick chat before the climb.
I said the new bike climbs better didn't I?
I took a huge 22 seconds off my former PB up the hill - that's just ridiculous! :laugh:
Anyhow, a few loops round locally to bang the mileage on and it was on to home.

Great ride, still loving the new bike and wish I'd had longer for this mornings ride.

31.77 miles (51.12km) in 2h 14m at an average of 14.3mph with 1561ft climbed. Lovely weather for it, lots of cyclists out and life is good. What more can you want?
27082016.JPG

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Dropped #3 son at the ferry terminal at 6.15am for his trip back to Edinburgh Uni and then drove down to Harris with the Cross Check. I've entered an MTB race in a few weeks time and wanted to know how do-able the route is on a monster cross bike having walked most of it in the past but not cycled it.

I was on the trail by 7.00am, and although warm enough for shorts I put the arm and leg warmers on because of the bloody midges. Did a fair bit of 'off and push' but the route in the direction of the race is definitely more ride-able. Bailed out on one descent, unclipped with the left and toppled to the right ending up in a bog and had one of those classic moments on one descent where you go over the bars, leave the bike and run down the hill to stop face planting. Oh, and I didn't realise there was a river crossing :sad:

Back home for 11 and a second breakfast after a thoroughly enjoyable ride. Can't wait for the event :smile:

https://www.strava.com/activities/690474616

14086428_10154472339857486_433155436792550117_o.jpg

14068382_10154472339867486_2275605530742835845_o.jpg

13996331_10154472340082486_7312151745142503551_o.jpg
14107694_10154472340512486_8747000697482877556_o.jpg
14068569_10154472340662486_2452564174892430457_o.jpg
14124416_10154472340632486_3445824300164335862_o.jpg
14103017_10154472340697486_7573942410012804803_o.jpg
14068524_10154472340812486_4333757483556136985_o.jpg
14125658_10154472340867486_7227125496249099235_o.jpg
14107890_10154472341172486_5276388342424159678_o.jpg
14053830_10154472346857486_8485205290567219671_o.jpg

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
5 today. Julian H., Sara P., Pete M., Mrs 26 and me. Margaret P-R turned up briefly on her way back from an errand. We had dodged some early rain so the ride to Trioscape was on. It was the fairly standard run through the school and on down along the Hams. We detoured to Woolridge but the views were rather hazy. Not long and we were enjoying coffee and cake.

Sara asked for the run back by Hollybush so we headed for Brand Green and Redmarley. It was a steady twiddle to the top of the Hollybush climb before descending across the common. Goodbyes said all round Mrs 26 and I took the run by Guarlford where we stopped to help a fledgling Song Thrush into the safety of the verge.

Lovely social outing today fitted in between the rain as some thundery showers rolled in not long after our return. 46 miles and good craic

gaz71

Über Member
Had a really good ride today.Started in Teddington,rode down to Walton Bridge then followed the Thames all the way to Mortlake.Had a quick pint in The White Hart then went into Richmond Park for a bit before going to The Roebuck on Richmond Hill for another couple of ciders.Got home just over 30 miles later feeling quite pleased with managing about 138 miles for the week which is a personal best.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Our ride to day was from the hotel in Livange to Luxembourg Central. It was blumen hot n'all, 36 degrees at one point.

We rode via Berchem, Bivange, Fentange, Hesperang all nice small towns and villages to the city centre to see the Adolphe Bridge, but was covered in scaffolding!

After a bit of a mooch about we set off back via a detour to find a laundromat hence the squiggly but on the map.

Loads of Lycra roadies out today, and the roads are lovely smooth Tarmac, not a pothole to be seen.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

18.11 miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Life's just too busy so not got many miles in lately and maybe today showed, I wasn't really on it...just 19 miles although at a reasonable pace for me, but it felt hard.
Still, any miles are good miles...and the consolation is, I'm recovering quicker than I used to a year ago.
Out for a carvery once I've showered :hungry:

13 rider

Guru
Had arranged to meet mate Andy for a gentle ride as he's suffering muscle injuries at the moment and under physio but being ex military he always push's everything he does so today my job was to hold him back .Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley to meeting point at Mountsorrel . So off on a flatish ride Into Quorn ,Woodhouse ,Swithland and back to Cropston . Bumped into another work colleague meeting up with his MTB mates before doing some off roading . So a nice break chatting away . Now retracing my route into Rothley and this time into Cossington and back to Andy's house in Sileby 19 miles for Andy at 14mph are target mph hows that for pacing .Quick coffee and back out on the bike just needed to extended the route home to get 50 km in. So turned for Seagrave then back downhill in Barrow ,Quorn up Wood lane again for the second time in a week having never done it before .Then back into Rothley and Cropston for the third time .I seem to going round in circles and back home 35.9 miles in the bag in really pleasant conditions

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpeg
Out with Mr M today so chose the road bike (Mr M does not stop to "footer about") i. e. admire the view and take pics! Lovely day, not sunny but warm.
Anyway, went a route we've not been for a while which was quite enjoyable :smile: Lots of changes due to Aberdeen bypass under construction, one of our roads was closed and had to take a wee detour, not too steep though :thumbsup:
Met a few friendly roadies and an older man on an E bike :becool:
Road bike felt strange as barely ridden it this year as always out on the Pashley, methinks will need to take roadie out more often :dry:
Three separate dogs though they'd like to jump on me and the bike today, good job I had my wits about me and good brakes :bicycle:
No country view pics, so here are my shoes drying out :heat:

Top Bottom