Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Medium club run today as im still getting fitness back from hols/ food poisoning .
Just under 64 miles, one guy fell off and ended up in a farmers gate after a touch of wheels and i nearly bonked as i didnt take enough money and food :sad:
I heard that @Lilliburlero rides with someone who came to mercia sunday ride on a thursday ?
https://www.strava.com/activities/691987011

Aye, I`v done one Thursday ride with a few lads that were out with you today. Really nice bunch :thumbsup:

Sorry got the wrong person im thinking of @Lilliburlero whos strava name is similar to your forum name if i remember right :smile:

Yeah, my strava name is Carl P :laugh:

Hard ride today with the HDW.
Went to Garden centre at Lane End beyond Marlow. Forecast had been for almost no rainn, but we had a number of showers and some heavy rain.

There were a couple of younger riders, and they pushed the pace on a bit.

We came through Henley ( down the fast circa 40 mph hill). Through some hilly terrain to our stop. We arrived all dripping. I had a chat with Rob who is going for the 65+ age group world hour record in October.

Went back and with slight tailwind in parts, the pace increased. By Eton Common, they were off into the distance.
I ploughed on home

As ever cut off a couple of miles, so total was about 58 miles @ 18.3 mph

1377 feet climbed. Tough but enjoyable
Terrific speed for me

https://www.strava.com/activities/691967564

Last edited:

mark st1

Plastic Manc
A trip out to the very 80's looking Southend for breakfast with @ianrauk and @topcat1 once again I was just a passenger as I hadn't a clue where we were going once out of the centre of London. Got the 6.40 train to Paddington and then a quick blast to meet them down at Millbank then head off out of the big smoke into the countryside. All keeping at a good pace until we pulled up at a junction and a huge gust of wind blew me off my bike (also known as forgetting to unclip your shoe what a nobber :blush:) Arrived in good time after a nice tailwind and had a cracking brekkie then Dave departed to the station and I followed Ian who thankfully knew where he was going back to London. In a bitch of a head wind pretty much the whole way.We parted near Tower Bridge which was out of Ian's way as I didn't know where I was going so cheers for that very good of you :okay:. I then went back down the Embankment past Buck Palace again through Hyde Park and back in to Paddington. A nice 102.3 miles in 6 hours 35 mins with 2067 ft of climbing at s quite respectable (considering the headwind) 15.5 mph. A good ride and good company

https://www.strava.com/activities/692056743/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1472393934

Cheers
Mark.

Decided to do my normal 23 mile loop to the north of Peterboring, however, Network Rail decided to spoil the party and close the main level crossing, which meant that I had the option of going all the way back the way I had came, or taking the windy track through to Marholm.

I went for option 2, got half way along there and there is another level crossing, so I rang the bell to alert the Network Rail I wanted the gates opened and stood there....and stood there...and stood there, must have been about 15 minutes before this miserable looking bloke opened the door and said, 'wait, there's one coming'

So I waited....another 10 minutes and a train rattled past. The gates remained closed.......I waited yet another 10 minutes and pressed the bell again, the bloke opened the door and asked what I wanted. I told him that I still wanted the gates opened so I cross the lines.

Ever so slowly, he slumbered across and opened the gates, glaring at me the whole time. When he had opened the last one he said, 'I don't know why you didn't go round the long way (which would have been all the way back the way I had come), to which I replied, 'F**k you and the horse you rode in on'

I wasted the best part of 40 minutes waiting for this clown to do what he gets paid for.

Anyway the rest of the ride was uneventful, but I did end up doing 35 miles just to get some mileage in before I'm back to work on Thursday (and then there'll be no biking for 16 days)

https://www.strava.com/activities/691800018

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another micro-ride today, but hopefully an important one as it was Mrs ND's first proper ride out on her new Carrera Subway One and I tagged along on my hybrid (first ride on that for me for a while!).
Nice quiet roads and a bit of a pootle alongside the beck, then a few more quiet roads, looping back round to home.
Got to say that the Subway looks a great bike for the money and I can see why it gets so many good reviews.
Mrs ND loves it and hopefully this will be the start of her cycling journey although she isn't too keen on the saddle, so after getting home she swapped the saddle off her old bike for now and will see how we get on.

We even stopped off at the local leisure centre to see what the cycling provision is like - they have 6 secure bike lockers outside, with the keys available free from reception, but aside from them the only other bike storage is a rack of about 8 'wheel benders' that isn't even secured to the ground - and today it was stacked full with the muddy wellies of Leeds Festival go-ers who'd come down to use the facilities.

Just 3.5 miles, at a steady 8mph. Sorry, no pics or maps today. I'll try and do better tomorrow. ;)

https://www.strava.com/activities/692243630/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1472401302

72 miles up to Salisbury and back.

image.jpeg

I forgot my Spork:cry:

image.jpeg

The weather was rubbish:thumbsdown:

image.jpeg

The swans and ducks seemed to be enjoying it though:thumbsup:.

I got to Southampton, and they were having a 'pride festival' the first in 20 years apparently.

image.jpeg

This is a singer from 'the voice Uk' called Harry Fisher. He's quite good.

All in all a good day out:thumbsup:.

Surlydave

Über Member
It was great to get back out with the Suffolk ctc, and only have less than 2000ft
of climbing in 60 miles, compared to the 5000-6000 I was doing in Lejog earlier
this month!! We left Ipswich and headed to Snape for coffee and cakes. Lunch was
taken at Orford, on the quay. Luckily our leader had reserved a table as the
cafe was very busy. A quick tea stop rounded off our day at Woodbridge,
marred only by being caught in a heavy shower on our way back to Ipswich.

https://www.strava.com/activities/692145517

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A pleasant 12 miler here today out on the Fen. I spent 40 minutes in the bird hide on Tubney Fen near Reach sheltering from this lot..

image.jpeg

While I was hunkered down, a neighbour of mine out for a ride turned up seeking shelter too. Small world!

We shared a brew and then headed home once things had dried out, the bike has had a thorough hose down as it had half the county attached to it by the end, and is once again good as new.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Aye, I`v done one Thursday ride with a few lads that were out with you today. Really nice bunch :thumbsup:

Yeah, my strava name is Carl P :laugh:
Medium for me today, my fitness is still down about so the fast group which averaged 20 mph would have had my blowing out my harse.What time is the thursday ride ? i have a felling by the time i get in and had tea im running late for it .

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I, too have been dodging storms on another 9.2 mile ride today, not much to see beyond old guys riding on golf carts on an American golf course, so i'll save pictures for when I go somewhere moderately interesting. A little hotter today, and a bit more humid as well, about as hot as I care to ride at pace. Thunderstorms were to my north, and didn't get to where I was until I was home, so I didn't get wet either. I saw a Great Blue Heron as I neared home. Getting myself in gear to ride with some other old cyclists I know in the Tour de Taco next month.
86F
30C
Winds SE10
Relative humidity 67%
Barometer 30.16
Temperature has now dropped to 78 F and it is thundering, but not raining.

Top Bottom