Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Needed apples and oranges before tomorrow's groceries get delivered, the sun was shining, a bit of work had been done, so another trip to Waitrose the long way round, but not quite as long as Monday's ride.
Through Wotton and up the hill again, I felt I was going well and yup, when I loaded the ride onto strava [link now corrected] I'd managed a personal record up the hill.!
:wahhey:
So bimbling along the top of the Cotswolds again, through Leighterton. Saw a farmer ploughing, with zillions of seagulls. That sight always reminds me of my Ladybird Book of the Countryside in Spring, which had a picture like that in it.
upload_2017-2-16_17-15-48.png

Then joined the A433 at Knockdown (wonderful place name!) for a short stretch then south again to Sopworth and west towards Dunkirk, through the woods to the north of the Badminton estate. A bit bare at the moment (but at least you can see the wood and the trees!), but they make a lovely shady stretch on hot summer days.
2017-02-16 14.48.44.jpg

Hawkesbury Upton, then whizz down the hill to Horton and then Chipping Sodbury. Only aiming for a metric half today, so that only warranted a cinnamon man rather than a cuppa and a sandwich. OK, three cinnamon men, as they were three for two. :mrpig: This is the third one, before he met his doom...
2017-02-16 15.44.19.jpg

Then back home via Hawkesbury and Inglestone Commons and Wickwar. Not as sunny as Monday's effort (or as bum-knackering), but still oodles better than working!
:bicycle:
Tea and buttered crumpets with marmite have now been eaten ... :hungry: :mrpig:

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Decorating and training for another half marathon so not a lot of riding at the moment, but did get out today for a utility ride on the hybrid to the shops, just under 8 miles, can't upload the Garmin for some reason, data won't upload.

D

Deleted member 1258

My usual Hatton ride this morning, but I extended the way back by using the route back I was using last year, put my mileage today up to 50 miles. I just need some more pace and I will be able to extend the way out to last year's levels and get back to a more usual mileage, last year I was getting around 28 - 30 miles into the two hour ride out, this year it's only 24 - 25 miles. This morning was a lovely morning for a bike ride, bright not
to cold but a bit breezy. Was passed by a cycling mate on the way out, he slowed for a chat before carrying on his way, came out the cafe after the stop to find it had clouded over and cooled down a bit, the lanes were pretty filthy and there was standing water in places, but another enjoyable bike ride done, though winter is taking its toll on the bike, I've still got some roughness in the transmission dispute clearing out the mudguards and greasing the wheel bearings, I'll check and clean the chain next, but I suspect the bottom bracket needs changing.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
My legs were a bit tired this morning as I winched my way up and over to Colwall for the meet with Pete M. Blue skies had replaced yesterday's wet thankfully. We headed by Mathon for Acton Green to drop by some very muddy lane due to roadworks to Bishop's Frome. Now we were faced with the draggy bit of road to Burley Gate. Soon after we took the lane by Westhide for Withington and Radway Bridge on the main Hereford road. This is a new cafe for me and Pete but we received a very warm welcome and were served some lovely refreshments.

After much chat and two cuppas we took to a new lane for me with the wonderful name of Black Hole Lane. Back on known tarmac we took the standard run by Weston Beggard and Yarkhill for Stanley Hill and the run to Bosbury. Now Pete was on roads familiar to him as we went by Old Colwall to finish our chats on the bottom of the Wyche. For the second time today I winched my way back over to drop off for home. We'd had a pleasant ride in good weather (it did cloud over). 48 lumpy smiles

GuyBoden

Guru
Last edited:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I had a day off work today, so continued my epic quest to visit all the publicly accessible Champion Trees in London, as listed by the Tree Register. I joined last year to give me access to a UK database based on the personal records of forester, dendrologist, botanist and author of several books on trees, Alan Mitchell.

It currently has 1547 entries for Greater London. I'm also visiting the 50 or so trees in the Time Out Great Trees of London book, any other interesting trees I come across with historical connections, and visiting as many outdoor wooden made sculptures I can find in London. I started this last year, and still have loads to do....I'll be lucky to finish this year to be honest.

I'm no expert at this tree identification lark, and though Spring seems like its going to be with us soon, its still February, and most trees are still without leaves and I'm currently grouping them all together in the 'unidentifiable big stick' category, so to make it easier for a novice I'm concentrating on visiting the evergreens for now.

First up for the day was a Jelly Palm, native to Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay it is a bit colder here than it would like, so its slow growing but it can tolerate temperatures down to about minus 10. The Tree Register has 2 listed in London, a bigger one in the Islamic Garden in Burgess Park (which was closed went I last went there so I've not seen this yet) and a small one in Beckenham on the corner of Bromley Rd and Oakwood Avenue, here it is:
IMG_20170216_124155_zpshmxibvps.jpg

Just round the corner next, to Beckenham Place Park, via the most pot holed road I've seen in ages, a private road so I guess the Council won't touch it. It was like riding through a minefield, some craters looked about 6 inches deep, proper rim breakers, eyes down, no tree gazing!
IMG_20170216_130420_zps5ki7vwuv.jpg

I'm in the park looking for a Scots Pine, finding it is a mission. I'm going round in circles and the paths are really muddy, I have to stop twice to remove clods of mud from my brakes, forks and wheels. My Italian steed much prefers dry tarmac and I can feel its reluctance with being tasked with UK February cyclocross duties, it tries a few rear wheel slips and slides to encourage me back to terra firma, but I'm not having it. Eventually I find it, I think this is it (the tall one in the middle)
IMG_20170216_133458_zpsltlv0d25.jpg

Up near the swanky house in the park I see a massive squirrel, I'm not sure but it looks like someone's drawn on the wonky eyes, which actually improve it I think.
IMG_20170216_134600_zpsiryelntt.jpg

I'm then off to London Road Cemetery in Bromley, which has an impressive Strawberry Tree. It does produce mini strawberries which are apparently edible, but not very nice. There is one near me in Vauxhall that still had fruit on in November, and Battersea Park has a UK Champion hybrid Strawberry Tree which I've visited already.
IMG_20170216_140122_zpsxt4aqepe.jpg

The cemetery also has a Xanthocyparies Nootkatensis, try saying that after a few shandies, its also known as an Alaska Cedar, Sitka Cypress, Nootka Cypress, Alaska Yellow-cedar, Yellow-cedar or Yellow-cypress:wacko:
IMG_20170216_140419_zpsos08axdv.jpg

I'm then off over to Lamorby Park. I'm looking for a Giant/Grand/Lowland Fir, but I'm not sure if this is it, there were a number of firs so I'm not sure and I was in a hurry, so further clarification is needed on this. Its still an impressive tree, makes my bike look tiny.
IMG_20170216_144702_zpszgn5sukn.jpg

This was another tall one, not sure what this is.
IMG_20170216_145149_zps40gl7ppk.jpg

Finally I'm off to Joydens Wood. Its not got any listed Champion Trees, but does have a nice old Oak, which I may come back and photograph in the summer, when its got some clothes on.
IMG_20170216_154150_zpsuqk4vpp6.jpg

I'm actually looking for wooden sculptures, it has some Roman and Saxon carved soldiers, but I was really looking for the big acorn carved seat as shown here, which is brilliant:
https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiting-woods/wood-information/joydens-wood/
However, I'm not allowed to cycle in this park, so I'm pushing bike around, and its like bog snorkling, its super muddy and I spend a good 40 mins wandering aimlessly about, getting caked in mud and watching my bike tyres slowly turn from 25c's to snow/sand bike size until the wheels no longer turn. Its getting dark and the only wooden sculpture I can find is this weird bush baby thing:
IMG_20170216_160528_zpsqbt7wf3t.jpg

So I admit defeat and vow to come back in drier conditions to seek out the others sculptures, and after a few confused circles I eventually find my way out. My Italian bike is now screaming objections as mud and grit grind on rims, I stop and remove wheels again and armed with a sturdy twig clear as much crud off as I can, I imagine it shouting and wildly gesticulating like an electrocuted Italian waiter, but thankfully I don't understand Italian. I then head back home to Vauxhall, 50 miles done for the day. I have a shower, the muddy bike is sulking in the next room, it won't talk to me. I'm letting it calm down and I'l wash it tomorrow^_^

Last edited:
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Finally, finally made it out this evening, perhaps only my third ride this year after a never ending virus.
Just 13 miles...the only notable moment was a nasty shimmy on a downhill....one that never had it on this particular one, I hadn't even built up much speed :whistle:.
It must be a confidence thing although I did hit a slightly rough patch just before starting to get the shake....meh, I'm definitely not the rider I was 5 years ago :laugh:.
All good though...good just to get out ...eventually :smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Longest ride this year for my granddaughter.
We set off with the bikes on the roof-bars for a ride around Willen Lakes in Milton Keynes.

IMG_0754.JPG

It's a 2.5 mile circuit with several extra added miles as we did the southern circuit twice and a loop back to the cafe for ice creams and hot drinks at, possibly, the most incompetent coffee stops I've ever visited :headshake:

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

And some time to, bravely, feed the swans by hand!!

A lovely 9.1 miles, with a few clouds rolling in and the first spots of rain falling. Back to the car in time to aim home via the Aston Martin forecourt in Nwport Pagnell to ogle the cars I'll never to be able to afford.. :cry:

https://www.strava.com/activities/868357065

:smile:

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Cold and drizzly again this afternoon, didn't need quite as many layers as Sunday though. Today I headed south from Near Sawrey towards Lakeside, then through Finsthwaite (a lot of thwaites round here...) and up the Rusland Valley towards Satterthwaite (told you...) and Grizedale. The drizzle did relent for a while, but only for a while -I kept up a brisk pace anyway, so I hardly noticed. Steady climb up towards Moor Top through the gloaming, then downhill into Hawkshead via some lovely hairpin bends and back to Far Sawrey and some fine ales.:cheers:That's my 4th ride this week since Sunday (and pretty much every day has been silent and grey..., including yesterday's High Wray , Colthouse and Windermere lakeside ride).

Last edited:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Thanks @Pat "5mph" , I am going to do a separate thread eventually when I've written it all up properly, and so I don't carpet bomb this thread with tree pics, which may bore some folk into a coma. I always try and have a bike in shot for scale, and if I can get it hanging off a branch, as in that case, even better. I had no chance of that with those tall firs. I did climb up a few trees myself last year, but tree climbing in clippy cloppy cycle shoes, and even worse, jumping out of trees in said shoes, as I did out of the Black Walnut in Marble Hill Park last year, is really not recommended, what a pillock....so no more tree climbing for me^_^.

Top Bottom