Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Nothing of great importance, other than a ride to the pub and back. The only moment of note was someone overtaking me - when I was in Primary - just before a set of traffic lights at red. I immediately re-overtook him and enquired, as I passed his open window, if he thought it was worth the effort. I didn't catch the answer, but I have decided that in the future, any willy-waving like this will probably be meet with a light stroke of the bonnet ...

theloafer

Legendary Member
i am very impressed with Karon`s second bike trip in two day`s and more so as today`s was a lot more lumpier 43 miles shildon toft hill first coffee stop at the A68 café ...then on to Hamsterley, woodland....then things when a bit strange lol ended up not where I thought I was still worked out good as we had to come through Staindrop and food was needed ...then back via Hilton Bolam and Heighington then down to the navy club for a well earned pint :cheers:... https://www.strava.com/activities/1497115764
20180408_110424.jpg

20180408_110520_001.jpg

WP_20180408_002.jpg

WP_20180408_003.jpg

WP_20180408_004.jpg

WP_20180408_005.jpg

WP_20180408_006.jpg

20180408_123028.jpg

20180408_123121_001.jpg

Last edited:

TigerT

Veteran
Springtime arrived properly in Switzerland this weekend. I decided to make a 2nd attempt at a ride I didn't complete last year.

The plan was to catch an early train to Buchs, just on the border between Lichtenstein and Switzerland and ride all the way home. So I prepared everything last night so I didn't even have to think at 5am this morning when the alarm went off. I comfortably made the 6am trains stowed the bike quickly before the skiers/snowboarders filled up all the racks (they double as both) and went to sleep for and hour. A change of trains at Sargans saw me arriving at Buchs ready to ride at 8am. It was cold and extremely windy - That wasn't in the plan!

So I set off down the cycle path along the Rhine into a strong headwind. It was really hard to sty on the bike at times as it was a bit gusty. I only included this part of the ride as I enjoy riding along rivers, but I didn't enjoy this at all.

Arriving back at Sargans, I diverted back to the railway station to get a coffee and warm up. That did the trick. I was warm, and the sun came out as well. Sargans to Walenstadt is a fantastic part of the ride, long smooth surfaces with fantastic scenery with mountains all around. That made up for the bad start. I arrived at Walenstadt a bit quicker than expected, so made a quick detour down to the lake shore, just to see what it was like. It was beautiful, so I made a short break.

Riding around the edge of the lake I got to Ziegelbrucke. Nothing spectacular here apart from a railway station, but this was the point I decided to cut the ride short last year. This time I felt good, so turned onto Route 32 taking me across country to Pfaffikon for the run down the edge of the Zürich See. I tried a different route through Zürich which seemed to work ok. Then back up the hill to home.

126 mostly nice kilometres and another ride, that I couldn't do last year, completed. Beat my longest ride again.

mqdVO4WrSNu%W2qW+HQgpg.jpg
Cold with a fierce headwind by the Rhine.
cpFlUQLfQsO16Dv%4gj66A.jpg
Plenty of route choices - I love the cycle network out here it's so well signposted and mapped.
1lSIOwtKS325OqgufaZsnw.jpg
The start of the Walensee
EOS3vbWvQ7KbqDtzMx3Xvw.jpg
Heading towards home, back alongside the Zürichsee.
IMG_0433.JPG
Longest ride..... Again.
Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 20.59.52.png
and the map.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's April and it's challenge ride time again. This was not the ride I'd intended for April due to it being planned at fairly short notice when a suitable weather forecast presented itself. Dry, fairly warm, practically no wind.... I'll take that.

With the knockabout bike having had a bit of work I thought it best not to go too far afield in case of problems so planned a route down to Cardington, then up to Cressage, Upton Magna and Market Drayton, across to Prees and Ellesmere and finally (hoping that I'd judged the distance right, not having done this exact variation before) back home via Baschurch, Montford Bridge and Shrewsbury.

The knockabout bike was the correct choice for today as the roads were wet after a heavy dew early this morning. It was also quite cool early on so I started with a couple of fleeces. The roads were quiet as I headed for Condover, and stayed that way through Pitchford, Acton Burnell and over Folly Bank to Cardington. I paused for a drink at the top of Folly Bank and could see from the tyre tracks that a couple of other cyclists had been there very recently. From the banana skins draped on the fence I deduce that they are mucky pups.:whistle:

My first 20 miles were quite slow today as the bike hadn't had a shakedown ride after the work I'd done and a number of minor adjustments were needed to get things just how I wanted. By my 2nd breakfast stop at Kenley (a deviation from my usual century routes) I was pretty happy with it and was able to press on a little more.

I passed a driver with an interesting driving position (both hands on the top of the steering wheel, elbows resting on the centre :scratch:) somewhere around Cound Moor, then just after Cressage there was a Golf using the hedge for support.

Wroxeter, Upton Magna and Withington passed without incident. Just after High Ercall I made someone jump by saying good morning. I passed a group of five tandems near Little Bolas then a short way up the road at Bolas House, caught the tail end of a vintage tractor run.

My right knee had twinged when pushing up one of the climbs round here and at my elevenses stop I found the reason why - the laces holding the sides of my Nidd saddle together had worn through again and the saddle had become all saggy. I had a spare lace but it was way too short for the job (could have sworn I'd checked it for length) so cable ties came to the rescue and I think are tensioning it a lot better.:okay:

With the light winds I was making decent progress (for a heavy bike). Stoke-on-Tern, Market Drayton, Longslow, Calverhall and Ightfield came and went (passed another tandem after Ightfield). I had my lunch stop near Prees Higher Heath then pressed on into Prees itself. Somewhere around here it occurred to me that there didn't seem to be a great deal of traffic on the roads and I wondered why.

After Prees I was into the flat lands on the way to Ellesmere. It made for decent progress. I risked the road from Welshampton to Coptiviney and Ellesmere which is often rim deep in mud but today had been cleaned and was dry. Brilliant!

At Ellesmere I dropped down to The Mere where a group of motorcyclists was gathering. One of them chatted with me and when I said where I'd been and what my distance would be he was completely unfazed by it unlike most people.

By this point I had done 79 miles and knew that it's 22 to home so there wouldn't need to be any additions to get the challenge distance. I headed through Lee, Lower Hordley (another quick food stop here) Bagley, Weston Lullingfields (caught and overtook a tractor here :hyper:), Baschurch, Little Ness, Montford Bridge, and Bicton. By the time I got to Shelton on the outskirts of Shrewsbury I was thinking about adding extra mileage anyway so I headed into town and took a trip through The Quarry (very busy) before heading for home via Belle Vue.

103.2 miles today at 13.1 mph average. Better than I expected after the slow start.^_^ Lots of cyclists about.

DSC0006129.jpg

Early on in the ride and looking across to the Wrekin which is swimming in cloud.

DSC0006130.jpg

Second breakfast stop at Kenley.

DSC0006131.jpg

Ooops, someone's evening didn't pan out the way they had planned.

DSC0006133.jpg

Convoy of tractors at Bolas House.

DSC0006137.jpg

Ollerton.

DSC0006140.jpg

Activity on the canal at Hampton Bank.

DSC0006141.jpg

A few people perambulating at The Mere.

DSC0006143.jpg

Quite a grand church for a small community near Weston Lullingfields.

DSC0006144.jpg

The Boathouse is doing a brisk trade today.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Entered a 116km audax in Worcestershire and Warwickshire today for a change of scenery, accompanied by my mate Rich, who is in the latter stages of training for a LE-JOG. Considering it drizzled for most of the day; none of my best photos took properly; I ran out of steam with 23 miles to go; Rich had a recurring slow puncture; we got lost 3 times and added 6 miles of unnecessary hills; and we missed the cut-off time at the end .... this was still strangely enjoyable.
Surpassing myself in photographic ineptitude, I'm afraid there are no photos of the field of reindeer, the aqueduct, the Vulcan bomber or the steam traction engine all spotted today.
36 Hampton Ferry.JPG 37.JPG 38 River Avon.JPG 39 Coughton Ford.JPG
Did get a few riverside shots .... the Hampton Ferry at the Evesham control point, a raging weir on the Avon near the Worcestershire/Warwickshire county border and the ford at Coughton. Rich came out looking much better in the pics than I did in any of the rejects.
I am knackered and soon off to bed. At 78.4 miles, that was my second longest ride ever... and it felt like it. Cheers everyone. Donger.

Datum2

Über Member
Sunday is cycling day, the weather forecast N,S,E and W was none to helpful so we trucked over to Risely, Beds and set off from the village Hall car park in a steady rain heading towards Sharnbrook and Little Odell where we turned right and ended up at Bozeat. We were going to loop in Farndish where Saxbys fruit cider is currently produced but a combination of too wet to get the phone/strava route apparatus out and a heavy pulse of rain meant push on. Onwards to Easton Maudit and Grendon and round by the fishing lakes at Castle Ashby. Fishermen huddled under their fly sheets waiting for a bite. Up as far as the Grand Avenue for a few wet pics and blurry images.
Onwards to Yardley Hasting and a short blast on A428 to the Olney turn where the conversation turned to thoughts of the coffeee stop, still raining though. Olney Pancake Parlour was the chosen stopping point and after a toasted sausage sandwich, Rocky Road cake and a hefty mug of coffee we thought OPP was good value and worthy of a recommendation. Strangely none of us had a pancake!
Worst thing about cycling in the rain is starting again, wet coat, wet everything and a few miles before you get your rythm back. So up to Emberton on the cycle path and then left to Newton Blossomville. After this we were on new ground heading towards Astwood on a very quiet minor road, still raining. Out onto the A422 and then right turn to Stagsden West End just to minimise journey time on the A422. Onwards to Stagsden, Stevington, Pavenham, Felmersham and familiar roads again. Still raining, Radwell, Milton Ernest, luckily the Great Ouse was back in its alloted water course by the causeway so no flooding issues today.
The drag out of Milton Ernest on the Thurleigh Rd where we encountered todays idiot driver who wanted to overtake just as a bunch of cars were coming in the opposite direction (A BMW driver no less) Turn right to Thurleigh down the lowered road (Wikipedia Brabazon aircraft)
Took a few minutes at the bus stop shelter to mop up the Jelly Babies and other nutritional comestibles that we lug around. Still raining and feeling utterly soaked so a hard blast around the perimeter road of the old airfield to Keysoe Row onto the B660 which our village is on but we only went to Keysoe and then the RisleyRd which seemed to take forever but eventually over the hill and quick descent into Risley, back to the VH, truck unlocked, started, heater on full blast, load bikes. Jump in, head for home, still raining.
54 wet miles but glad we stuck it out.
0e094943-1a55-4b4f-a82d-3cb9ac750bf6.png

Katherine

Guru
We had a great club ride. Good turnout Lots of chat. The A and B groups left together, split up with us doing some extra miles then met up again at the cafe stop. We tried to leave together intending to ride back as one group but the A leader had a visit from the P fairy and told us not to wait, so they missed my scenic route back that avoided the main road. The lack of wind meant that we saw the model aircraft club, that we often pass on our way back through Dunham, actually flying their machines today. We also saw several pheasants, the alpacas are getting bigger, lots of frolicking lambs as well as one lamb actually standing on its mother!
I was a bit ambitious going through the tricky turn off Irlam locks back onto the path and couldn't stop myself falling to the right. Saved by the wall! I'll unclip next time. That's my first fail ...

C R

Guru
Yesterday I decided to try something different, so picked up the canal in Diglis and headed towards Droitwich. The surface of the tow path in here is concrete, so steady but slow progress, as I am scared of falling into the canal. Also, there are quite a few locks, and I walked the bike up the brick ramps, which looked a bit slippery. A few dog walkers and a couple of cyclists out at 8 in the morning. This was my first time along the canal, and it gave me a nice new perspective of the city.

After Bilford Road the tow path becomes a dirt track, with quite a few puddles and a bit muddy, but a least I could cycle up the lock ramps. Slow steady progress continued past the Rugby ground towards the M5. Just before canal crosses the motorway I took Offerton Lane towards Droitwich.

Just after leaving the canal there is s short sharp incline, but after that the road is slightly down hill, so managed to get some speed. Turned right at the end of Offerton Lane, and then right again towards Worcester via Tibberton, again making good time to compensate for the slow canal part.

Two roadies overtook me just before the roundabout with Pershore Lane, cheerfully saying good morning, they carried on towards the Hospital, but I turned left towards Spetchley.

I had planned to carry on the A44 and turn right at Egdon for Drakes Broughton, but it was getting late, so turned right at the Spetchley roundabout and headed home via the County Hall site, down Red Hill to Battenhall and St Peters.

In all 19.8 miles in an hour and forty minutes. Pleased to have tried a different route, which gives more possibilities for mixing in the future.

Last edited:
Out this morning before my backshift on the mtb . Managed a 6 mile run before the rain came on. I had stopped just before the golf course to have a quick puff of my asthma inhaler and this car stops in front of me and the driver gets out and inquires if i'm ok . I assure him all is well and he goes off on his way . Car drivers are not all bad ....happy days.

colly

Re member eR
Out this morning before my backshift on the mtb . Managed a 6 mile run before the rain came on. I had stopped just before the golf course to have a quick puff of my asthma inhaler and this car stops in front of me and the driver gets out and inquires if i'm ok . I assure him all is well and he goes off on his way . Car drivers are not all bad ....happy days.
Probably wanted your autograph.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just a short one today to try and keep the legs from stiffening up too much after yesterday. Over Lyth Hill, the anti clockwise version of my Acton Burnell loop, then back over Lyth Hill again (so as to avoid spending too long on the A49).

It's been a beautiful morning after a foggy start. A few of the lanes are still a bit wet and muddy but otherwise mostly dry. Very few other riders taking advantage of this weather window. The wind was light but, in my tired state, felt like a howling gale on the section where I was riding directly against it.:laugh:

19 miles at 12.9 mph average. I didn't stop for photos today.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I thought I'd Zap my Zero early this week as I may be time constrained these coming days. So the standard Ashleworth route called. I headed out as usual but at Redmarley it occurred to me I could go by Ketford to see the wild daffs in those lanes. So I looped by Ryton and was not disappointed as I rode for Ketford. The woods and banks were ablaze with gold. As I approached the bridge over the Leadon a field there was a superb sight. The climb away from the river is a steep and tough one also with daffs on show. Over that climb another field appeared on the left and this one was just outstanding. What an amazing show of those wonderful wild daffs. I emerged near my usual turning for Brand Green and at the top the wood anenomes were showing extremely well. The wood was just a carpet of white. Some light rain had started and as I rode by Murrell's End for the climb to Woolridge it was getting a bit wetter and a tad colder. So I stopped and put my gilet on. I could see from Woolridge that the Severn Valley was still flooded. Nevertheless I went by White End to see how badly. Well it was impossible to get down onto the Hams so a change of plan was again required. I climbed to Wickridge Street and upped and downed before descending at speed for Tirley Knowle. At Corse Lawn I turned for Chaceley where there was no sign of the floods so this event wasn't of the worst. Back on route my legs started to complain. They weren't helped by a wind out of the north. I plugged away to loop around by Tunnel Hill for Brotheridge Green. Not long now I was rolling up my drive feeling a bit famished. Maybe that's why my legs complained? "Shut up Legs" that was a super outing despite the damp. 50 smiles

Top Bottom