Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
No pictures I'm afraid. Got out yesterday for the January Sale 200 from Tewkesbury. Rode with my old friend E, neither of us particularly fit, so steady does it was the rule. The second half was a bit hilly, and E started complaining that she was suffering. I countered with a complaint about my knee, she blamed me for suggesting the ride, and so we grumped together to the finish.
Eleven and a half hours, so not too bad. My first January 200 for quite a few years.

C R

Guru
First Sunday ride since early December. I was eager to get on the bike, but apprehensive after such a long break.

Up early as usual, around quarter to seven, still completely dark. I hadn't really thought where to go as I set off, and decided Droitwich way on the fly, as that route is fairly flat.

Out through St Peters, taking Bath Rd into town, and follow the A38 past Foregate St up to the Claines turn. Left towards Claines, and then a right by the church and over the A449 to take the back lanes that roughly follow the canal to Droitwich. This is a nice ride in daylight, but in the dark it takes quite a bit of care. I will probably not come back this way while the mornings are dark.

I got to Droitwich in one piece, and Hanbury Wharf came quickly. I stopped by the canal junction for a bit of a rest, and now daylight was starting to show.
IMG_20200105_074824416.jpg

After a bit of a rest, I continued along, turning right for Himbleton. So far I was a bit slower than usual, but wasn't feeling too bad. The short climbs before Phepson came and went easily, and I got to the turn for Grafton Flyford much quicker than I had expected.

Turn left, and follow the undulating lane, which still bears the signs of the flooding from a couple of months ago, but is now clear. A right at the end, and then a left onto the A442, and then a right for North Piddle.

My lack of miles was now catching up, and the occasional gusts of head wind weren't helping. I slowly made it to the Seaford picnic area, and stopped for a good rest. It was nice there, but the breeze was cool, so I started off again.

Getting to Pinvin was a bit of a drag, so just took it easy. Then over the A44, and a right for Drakes Broughton. The ford is close to cars, but the walkway is open. Steady progress to Drakes Broughton, and then over to Wadborough. The short climb before the village was a struggle, but I just took it easy, and slowly made it home.

32.6 miles at 12.3mph opens the year for me. I need to get some more miles in my legs, and this was a good, if painful, start.

The map
IMG_20200105_205619.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today's ride was a planned ride to get some more photos of the round tower churches of Suffolk so, with the aid of Google Maps & Streetview, a loop based out of Halesworth was plotted and loaded to my Garmin last night and this morning I loaded the Spa Elan into my car and headed out.,

Starting from Halesworth, the first stop was only a couple of miles in at Wissett
St. Andrew's - Wissett (1).JPG

From there, there were further stops in Spaxhall, South Elmham, Ilkeshall St. Margaret, Bungay, Mettingham, Barsham, Ilkeshall St. Andrew, Holton, Thorington and finally Bramfield where St. Andrew's is one of few (the only?) churces to have not only a round tower, but also the tower being separate from the main body of the church (no idea why)
St. Andrew's - Bramfield (3).JPG

Of all 11 of those I stopped at, it was surprising to find that the only one to show any signs of being in use on the day was in Barsham where the small & elderly congregation was just leaving.

It was a bit of a miserable day - cold, grey cloud and a bit of a breeze - and I took my time with the 43 miles taking just under 4 hours to complete
https://www.strava.com/activities/2984618938
Screenshot_2020-01-05 Halesworth Church Hunt Ride Strava(1).png
Screenshot_2020-01-05 Halesworth Church Hunt Ride Strava.png

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
I decided to try another new route today but with only one lane I had never been down before so I couldn’t really get lost again. I started to Northwood where I turned to Welshampton and turned back to Lyneal, Loppington, Burlton, Marton, Myddlewood and through Myddle, which I have always avoided so far because of the hill which turned out to be not too bad,up across the Ellesmere road and to Alderton. Turned to Harmer Hill and down the new lane to Yorton Heath which did take me exactly where I hoped it would by Yorton station, up the bank to Clive and through the village then back down to Wem, Barkers Green, Aston, back the other side of Wem, out to Creamore, Edstaston, Ryebank, Horton then home. Not as sunny today and a bit windy which made it a bit hard going into the wind. 32.14 miles @15.4 mph

First Outdoor ride of the year, Club Ride to Billingbear.
Not the longest and there were onl;y 3 of us

Out through the Great Park and Warfield, And Shurlock Row and Retrurning via Drift Road

The stop was at the gold course which is a good venue.

Temperature fortunately a few degrees warmer that the day before
41 Miles @ 15.5 mph with 1276 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/2984126982

13 rider

Guru
I decided to try another new route today but with only one lane I had never been down before so I couldn’t really get lost again. I started to Northwood where I turned to Welshampton and turned back to Lyneal, Loppington, Burlton, Marton, Myddlewood and through Myddle, which I have always avoided so far because of the hill which turned out to be not too bad,up across the Ellesmere road and to Alderton. Turned to Harmer Hill and down the new lane to Yorton Heath which did take me exactly where I hoped it would by Yorton station, up the bank to Clive and through the village then back down to Wem, Barkers Green, Aston, back the other side of Wem, out to Creamore, Edstaston, Ryebank, Horton then home. Not as sunny today and a bit windy which made it a bit hard going into the wind. 32.14 miles @15.4 mph
You seem to showing symptoms of half centuryitus a condition were you can no longer ride just 25 miles but have to do 31.07. Unfortunately there is no known cure

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride: A rare ride out with my brother and unlike the last couple of times he was ready and raring to go before me. Since he's only done a handful of rides over the last year (the most recent of which was in October) and is still getting over a cold we kept it simple and went for a variation of my Acton Burnell loop.

We started off by climbing over Lyth Hill so as to spend as little time on the A49 as possible. The climb was into quite a blustery headwind so we took it very gently. There were lots of people out walking on the hill again but not as many on the lanes as we dropped down to Condover and headed for Ryton. The lane through Ryton was busier than expected, which I think was due to people heading to the pub for sunday lunch, but it was fairly quiet after Longnor.

Doug had originally wanted to ride round clockwise but given the odd shape of this loop I suggested that anti-clockwise might be better this time. It meant we had a few miles with the wind in our faces to start with but after the crossroads near Longnor we had it directly behind us and were able to cruise along at an easy 17 or 18 mph. The climb to Frodesley wasn't quick but the long gentle descent through Acton Burnell to Pitchford more than made up for it and we saw 27mph into the dip by the hall.

The climb out of that dip and the next one to Cantlop were a bit slow. On the next descent I had to stop when some mud off Doug's tyre hit me on the glasses but he didn't get too far before realising I wasn't there.

It was Doug's choice to climb back over Lyth Hill to avoid the traffic, even though he was flagging by this point. The climb from this side isn't especially long but is properly steep so he dropped right down the gears and made it in one go.

After a rest at the top we'd hoped having the wind behind us would make for a fun descent but unfortunately we caught a car that was going down very slowly (12 to 15 mph).

18.6 miles at 10.5 mph average. I think he did well under the circumstances.^_^

First drink stop at Ryton

Flagging a bit between Pitchford and Cantlop.

I wasn't going to take this one of Doug looking wiped out but he insisted I should.

Today was a "Utility Ride" with the Bakfiets, hauling toys that Beautiful Daughter has grown out of to their next user. There's an informal system of passing toys and clothes around between families in the village, so you don't as much own items as have free loan of them until they fall to bits.

This, I'd add was a real "utility" ride to get stuff done, so there was no gallivanting about the countryside afterwards...

Enjoying the sunshine...

...and pootling about the lanes.

Any evidence to the contrary can safely be ignored.

I'm glad we've sorted that out.

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
My last day of hols today, so made the most of it with a ride out on my local patch.

Nice sunny start. My destination was Wicken Fen and I planned to walk around the reserve ( hence bag with wellies inside strapped untidily to the rack!)

good to see the water slowly returning to Burwell Fen.

Three wary roe deer.

Burwell Lode from that bloody horrible- lug your bike up and down a dozen steps bridge.

I locked the bike by the visitor’s centre at Wicken, donned wellies and strolled around the reserve. More cloud by now. Didn’t spot that magic blue sprite at the time.

muntjac everywhere.

Final shot of the fen as I made my way back to the bike. 17 miles in total on the bike, strong headwind on the way home. Very different ride tomorrow - the 1st commute into Cambridge of 2020.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP and I did a utility ride and big shop to Sainsbury’s today, nice and easy out with a tailwind and hard work coming back with two fully loaded pannier bags each and a headwind. It was a little wobbly on the return trip.
Anyway a self righteous car free journey of 6 miles. Must’ve looked a bit odd with a huge packet of toilet rolls strapped to the rack.

Last edited:
My last day of hols today, so made the most of it with a ride out on my local patch.

View attachment 499365
Nice sunny start. My destination was Wicken Fen and I planned to walk around the reserve ( hence bag with wellies inside strapped untidily to the rack!)

Wicken Fen was one of my childhood holiday destinations: I have loads of happy memories there.

This morning I put the bike on the car and drove to Dartmoor. I was a bit unimaginative and did the Eylesbarrow, Princetown and Burrator loop.

on the way there I saw a female fallow deer.

I spotted Raven Bullfinch and meadow pipit on the ride.

In Princetown I stopped at the Fox Tor cafe, flat white and chocolate orange cake. It was good.

Back down to Burrator via the widow maker track after threading my way through the German Shepard club with their yowling hounds!

View attachment 499184

View attachment 499185

View attachment 499186

View attachment 499187

View attachment 499188

View attachment 499189

View attachment 499190

View attachment 499191

View attachment 499192

View attachment 499193

https://www.strava.com/activities/2983970916
Might just have a go at this once the Merida is up and running!

Top Bottom