Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Just a shopping trip for me today. Needed to get some cone spanners and found out that they were in stock at Evans in Martlesham - a nice, easy straight up and back 15 mile round trip - but wehere's the fun in that?

Instead I took a very indirect route initially in the wrong direction off road towards Felixstowe, then up through Walton to take the off road route back to the far side of Trimley and alternating with on road & off road tracks all the way through Newboutne & Waldringfield to Martlesham. Having got the spanners an a couple of bits from the neighbouring Tesco, almost all the ride to the outskirts of Ipswich was off road through Kesgrave & Rushmere Common, rejoining the main road at the Hospital. Most of the home run was on road, but with the addition of a rough track through Purdis Farm and the last 3/4 mile along Gun Lane, ending up with just under 34 miles for a relaxed afternoon out.
Screenshot_2020-06-19 Evans above Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-06-19 Evans above Ride Strava(1).png

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
A ride down to Newburn, over the bridge to Blaydon and Scotswood then home back up over Newburn Hill again!
22 miles in the sunshine

gavgav

Guru
After a morning working, I got out after lunch with my ex colleague Paul, for first ride since last Sunday, due to the monsoons that hit Shropshire this week.

The Sun had come out, but there was a stiff Southerly wind. Rode over to Meole school and met up with Paul, who wanted to up his mileage to 20, today, so we set off through Hook-a-Gate and Annscroft, extremely busy traffic on that road.

We then followed the lanes to Exfords Green, Stapleton, Ryton and Longnor. It was hard going, into the wind for the first 10 miles and the lane to Longnor was annoying busy, with mostly big vehicles as well, meaning we had to get onto the verge twice.

Turning back towards Shrewsbury, was much more fun, with the wind directly behind us and much quieter roads, through Frodesley, Acton Burnell, Pitchford, Cantlop and Betton Abbots.

We departed ways at the junction for my estate, having thoroughly enjoyed 21.13 miles at 13.5mph avg.

Our next ride has an aim to find a takeaway coffee shop, to have a break at and make it easier to catch up with a chat.

Mike_P

Guru
The Defy on the ABC hunt again today but which “W” – Weeton was too simple and Wath in Nidderdale would be nice but it would no doubt mean climbing the narrow high street in Pateley Bridge with issues of social distancing and advoiding traffic. So the Wahoo programmed and off I set late morning in anticipation of writing once again “Normal route via A61, Markington and How Hill to Fountains…”, however on the decent to Fountains the road was completely closed beyond the junction just before. With the Wahoo confused I headed west up Green Bank Wood Climb and north through Sawley and Risplith to a sharp climb of up to 15.9% leading to Grantley

North to Kirkby Malzeard and then east crossing Kex Beck on a bridge that obviously has some history

Narrow lanes took me north-east to the A6108 for a north west ride to the “W” of West Tanfield

The bridge over the River Ure gives a good view of part of the village; the Marmion Tower, sort of hiding behind a tree, is a 15th century gatehouse for when the village was a fortified manor

South-east to another “W”, Wath, often known as Wath (Ripon) to avoid confusion that its Nidderdale namesake

A flat landscape then followed as I headed south

which soon returned to normality with the climb through Hutton Conyers.

Onto the A61 and down Hutton Bank for the turning into Ripon , pass the cathedral and onto Bishop Monkton where I turned west for the long drag up to the A61 crossroads. I had originally planned to carry on west back through Markington and approach Ripley from the north west, however skys were now threatening and the wind, although light, was very unpredictable. The Wahoo I puzzled once again as I turned south on the A61. I was intrigued to see how quickly it would pick up I was back on the programmed route at Ripley; there was no message on where to go at the southern end of the bypass but sometime thereafter it sprung up telling me to turn right onto Otley Road, in Killinghall. The wind after than village was really weird, non-existent until the road curved slightly more south-west and then plainly present, and the threatening skys were now raining very lightly.
42.95 miles @14mph avg, 2575ft climbed

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Showers about so I wore mudguards today. Off in a southerly direction I took the lanes for Pendock and on down to Blackwells End. The head wind was partly neutralised by the hedges. I had to battle it a bit on the open main road from Highleadon to the Tibberton turn. Then more helpful hedges through GlosVelo turf to turn for Blaisdon and Velthouse Lane. I caught a sharp shower here and sheltered under the trees. It's a lovely wooded run along the lane. I took the lovely Barrel Lane from Longhope and then rode the Linton ridge with its stunning views East and West before taking the lanes back by Kempley and Ryton and the traditional route back. Super scenic outing this afternoon. 63 smiles

Solocle

Über Member
Dropped my Audi TT at a place in Yeovil to have the wheels refurbished, then rode 34km home to Lyme Regis. Bit blustery and certainly hilly but enjoyed every minute.
View attachment 531237
Yeovil? I went through Sherborne today.
1592685641418.png

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Back on the road bike for today's ride with a rough 50 mile route planned in my mind to give plenty of options to shorten or extend depending on how I felt.

Out to Ipswich through Levington & Nacton and following the roads alongside the river out to Sproughton and Burstall before cutting back to Helmingham. From there I headed down to Raydon, Holton & Brantham into Holbrook which is the reverse direction of a regular ride of mine.
Having started out in bright sunshine, I was a bit annoyed to feel a few raindriops on my arms & legs although these soon cleared, while the cloud hung around for a bit.
At Holbrook I was going to follow the main road across to Freston for the downhill run to the Orwell Bridge but, as the breeze wasn't as bad as I'd expected, added in an extra bit to Shotley Gate first. After a short stop for a bite to eat overlooking Fox's Marina
Ostrich Creek.JPG

it was back through Ipswich to the Rushmere area and home via Bucklesham & Falkenham as usual.
https://www.strava.com/activities/3643654794/
Screenshot_2020-06-20 Raydon Reverse Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-06-20 Raydon Reverse Ride Strava(1).png

Glow worm

Legendary Member
12 miles today, slowly.

taking the cross country route.

big sky country.

View from the bridge over Reach Lode.

Stopped for a break by a pool on the fen called the Sportsman. (used to be a pub here called sportsman- now just a pit ).

Among the fields of barley. That sky! Love the flatlands - I know it’s not everyone‘s preferred landscape, but its my local patch, it’s rammed with nature (and barley!) and I love it.

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Über Member
Tough ride today. Felt it from the first slight incline and it lasted the entire ride. I just didn't have any energy. Did my usual 20 miles. My ride time today was as long as my usual total time. And I only managed a dead even 11 mph pace. And I felt totally zonked after my ride. I hope it's just one of those off days.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Tough ride today. Felt it from the first slight incline and it lasted the entire ride. I just didn't have any energy. Did my usual 20 miles. My ride time today was as long as my usual total time. And I only managed a dead even 11 mph pace. And I felt totally zonked after my ride. I hope it's just one of those off days.
A like for sharing. We all have those off days so I hope the next one is better.:okay:

Our next ride has an aim to find a takeaway coffee shop, to have a break at and make it easier to catch up with a chat.
The obvious one is the Haughmond which has been doing takeaways each time I've been past.

Top Bottom