Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Saturday's ride. Overcast with a south westerly breeze but forecast to brighten up later. My current goal is finding roads I've never ridden before, or at least never ridden since I've been on Strava. First stop was one of these, a road always avoided because it means using the A68, but I intended braving that anyway.

Thence to Jedburgh where I paused for a drink at the town cross. In the background to the left of the building with the scaffolding is the start of the Lanton Road.

According to a BBC article last year the ordnance survey measured it is the 4th steepest street in Scotland. However it is also considerably longer than the 3 steeper ones listed. OS have the gradient as 15.46%, Strava has it as 14% for 0.51 miles, from where it eases considerably for another half a mile. This is the view from the top, looking north towards the Eildon Hills.

The descent from there is not as steep as the way up, but I still hit 45 mph. From Lanton I turned south west to the never-before-cycled to hamlet of Bedrule, where I stopped at the war memorial.

From there I turned for home and having conquered Lanton Road picked the hilliest route back to add to the punishment.
The map
1592769295301.png

44 miles @ 13.9 mph, 1140metres up.

MarkF

Guru
any photos of the said bargain buy?

Attachments

• IMG-20200621-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20200621-WA0000.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 4

colly

Re member eR
We have a ''Community Project'' going on at the moment which is essentially a scheme to turn an overgrown wooded area into a safe place for children to play. Paths cut throught the brambles, wood chips, spead to mark out paths, an area cleared for a climbing frame. Everyone, ok well almost everyone has pitched in, working, contributing money, helping out. Even those with no kids or grandkids have pulled together to make it work. Sparked off by one or two people the idea caught on and through these difficult times it has had a really positive effect on our little part of the world.
But...........there is always a but isn't there? Last night we had a bonfire to clear some of the piles of cut brambles and shrubbery. No big deal but on the group chat suddenly a dissenting voice piped up.
''I'm not sure I like you having a bonfire, in fact I'm having second thoughts about it all''
Which sparked another, then another. So in the space of 3 hours the positivity and collective goodwill had begun to dwindle.
Everyone has a right to their opinion of course but after 90% of the hard work is done it really isn't the time to start making waves. It isn't being done for profit, and no-one is benefiting save small children.
This morning I woke to find bickering and snidey comments on the group chat, 60 odd messages. By early afternoon I had had enough and got on my bike for a

'Community Project' in-fighting avoidance ride.

Rain was forecast for about 3pm but the sun was blazing and the few clouds about looked white and wispy. Through Shadwell and up to East Keswick, into Linton, through Sicklinghall, Kirby Overblow, up to North Rigton and Almscliffe Crag. Down through Leathley and back across The Wharfe at Pool. Arthington Lane, Weardley Bank and home around the reservoir.
A couple of spots of the wet stuff at Pool but that was it. It was a good ride, but hot.
I've recently begun using Strava again after a long time away from it. Surprisingly I met a couple of targets I had set myself so by the time I got back I well lathered.

All in it was 37.2 miles and 2600 ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/51187964

As for the Community Project.........still bickering, but we now have a (another) round robin letter asking for views in an attempt to get a concensus or at the very least a majority.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Mojo must have been at full throttle this morning, bright sunshine helped, and I was ready to ride the geared bike away at six. Yup, 0600 hours. And there was a surprising amount of traffic . . .

Northwards was the only route idea I had so the first bit is to cross the Aire at Crown Point. The ride up to the clock at Oakwood was properly quiet, turn left there, more huffing and puffing until things level out on the way to Harrogate Road, and ride along that to the left turn for Eccup reservoir. The road, bridleway really I think, goes on to Eccup the village. And if Village Road was not uphill, blink and you don’t see the village.

Turn right at the T junction, pass the New Inn and then Burden Head Farm, and the road then descends. Sunlight through wind blown foliage made it difficult to be sure of the road surface, I freewheeled down the hill. I was still making this up as I pedalled, and approaching the right hand bend before the village of Weardley I decided to turn left onto Rawden Hill. I bet that road was only built for the medium grand Rawden Hill House.

And it leads to the A659. I use bits of that road so very often, but not this bit in the direction of Otley. First ride through Arthington and Pool, resist the temptation to cross the Wharfe and ride up to Farnley, head for the maypoles and a munch. As ever, ride up the Leeds Road to leave Otley, I will do the Old Chevin again someday. In Bramhope, turn right up that steep little hill at the side of the church, and continue straight on along Bramhope Moor Road.

This leads up to the water tower at Cookridge, and the start of the long descent that finishes where Kirkstall Lane meets Commercial Road, suburbs and shopping all the way. But that’s OK. Pass Woodrup’s, still too early for many places to be open, and into town centre. The easy way home from there is along Neville Street, which crosses the River Aire on Victoria Bridge. Which I always knew as Neville Bridge, for some obscure reason.

A couple more streets to that last little climb before the streets that lead to home. Thirty three and a half miles exactly, 1780 feet going up, the weather was as kind as it could be, no wonder I am smiling.

From the top, the map. And from the side the ups and downs.

22062020.jpg

22062020elev.jpg

Solocle

Über Member
Mojo must have been at full throttle this morning, bright sunshine helped, and I was ready to ride the geared bike away at six. Yup, 0600 hours. And there was a surprising amount of traffic . . .

Northwards was the only route idea I had so the first bit is to cross the Aire at Crown Point. The ride up to the clock at Oakwood was properly quiet, turn left there, more huffing and puffing until things level out on the way to Harrogate Road, and ride along that to the left turn for Eccup reservoir. The road, bridleway really I think, goes on to Eccup the village. And if Village Road was not uphill, blink and you don’t see the village.

Turn right at the T junction, pass the New Inn and then Burden Head Farm, and the road then descends. Sunlight through wind blown foliage made it difficult to be sure of the road surface, I freewheeled down the hill. I was still making this up as I pedalled, and approaching the right hand bend before the village of Weardley I decided to turn left onto Rawden Hill. I bet that road was only built for the medium grand Rawden Hill House.

And it leads to the A659. I use bits of that road so very often, but not this bit in the direction of Otley. First ride through Arthington and Pool, resist the temptation to cross the Wharfe and ride up to Farnley, head for the maypoles and a munch. As ever, ride up the Leeds Road to leave Otley, I will do the Old Chevin again someday. In Bramhope, turn right up that steep little hill at the side of the church, and continue straight on along Bramhope Moor Road.

This leads up to the water tower at Cookridge, and the start of the long descent that finishes where Kirkstall Lane meets Commercial Road, suburbs and shopping all the way. But that’s OK. Pass Woodrup’s, still too early for many places to be open, and into town centre. The easy way home from there is along Neville Street, which crosses the River Aire on Victoria Bridge. Which I always knew as Neville Bridge, for some obscure reason.

A couple more streets to that last little climb before the streets that lead to home. Thirty three and a half miles exactly, 1780 feet going up, the weather was as kind as it could be, no wonder I am smiling.

From the top, the map. And from the side the ups and downs.

View attachment 531644

View attachment 531645

Old Chevin was always a good challenge when I was up there (2018). Although I did rather enjoy the descents....
1592830159691.png

1592830225562.png

I was still working in miles back then. :bicycle:

postman

Legendary Member
:bicycle::hyper:i did go out,and to Otley and it was fabulous.Plenty of energy when i wanted it.A bit tired in one spot just past Eccup,after that no problems.Only 23 miles great cafe stop wtha bacon butty.Well i had to support the local cafes.Only bad part i snapped a spoke and the back wheel is off centre.But since coming home can i find a bike shop to repair it,One store told me August,so i am waiting for a reply from a town centre shop.Just when i am back out.

Last edited:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
My ride last 2 days

20th June 101Km Blaby - Countesthorpe - Willoughby Waterleys - Gilmorton - Walcote -South Kilworth -Stanford on Avon -Cold Ashby - Thornby - Naseby - Cottesbroke - Brixworth - Haselbech - Naseby - Clipston - Marston Trussel - Theddingworth - Mowsley - Saddington - Fleckney -Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby

21st June 58Km
Blaby - Countesthorpe - Willoughby Waterlys - Cosby - Broughton Astley - Folesworth - Claybrooke Magna - Monks Kirby - Claybrooke Parva - Ullesthorpe -Gilmorton - Willoughby Waterlys - Blaby

Saturday's - forgot how hilly it gets out near Brixworth - the road to Hasselbech almost wore me out. Wasn't feeling too energetic before I set out as I've been doing a fair bit of running this week (50K) but roads were nice and quiet and it wasn't too warm so a nice ride - did need to ride about 700m up the road from Peatling Magna to Foston to ensure I'd make it over 100...a 99Km ride just wouldn't be right would it - though was rather tired at this point and glad to get home.

Went out the next day just to take my road cycling to 300K plus for the month - though my legs protested. Still easy route and not too quick so I survived.

Hoping I'll get a 161K plus in next month - judging how I felt on Saturday tough I've no idea how I managed 234K a few years back.....still nice couple of day's ride.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Distance 85.52 km
Elev Gain 811 m
Time 3h 55m

Fully working and operational windmill at North Leverton
IMG_0262.jpeg

The finishing touches being made to the 250-year-old bridge at Clumber Park (resurfacing). As you can see they have replaced all the stone spindles and top stones after some a**eholes tried to destroy it using a car nearly two years ago. The new stone was sourced and shaped at Hardwick Hall where it is likely the original stone came from (I believe (on both counts)).
IMG_0267.jpeg

Wookee

Today was supposed to be the first long-ish ride out on my new Pioneer Classic, but exploding tyres yesterday put paid to that:sad:.

Anyway; off down my usual River Lea towpath to sunny Walthamstow to look at (yet another) road junction and scratch my head for a bit. Loads of cyclists out again and very little lycra on display. The only day I'll get out this week (for work anyway), but not too bothered looking at the weather forecast for the next 3 days:sun:....give me snow, ice and wind any day. Just the 27 miles this time, including a bit of a stretch on some fast completing new cycleway around Ferry Lane.

Again you have been saved my roadworks/junction pictures by these crazy people I passed on the way back. I did think there was something going on as it isn't every day you see a collection of vintage bikes being ridden by blokes in boaters along the river. Two were Penny Farthings, including this one (not my picture) and another one with solid wheels.
Pickwick 1.JPG

He is on a smooth bit here, but they were a long way from Hackney and would have had to ride over some roughish stuff next to the river. It's only when I got home that I saw this on Twitter, which explains all....chapeau chaps:bicycle:
Pickwick 2.JPG

Top Bottom