Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A very late report: It's been a frustrating week with decent weather about but things kept getting in the way of riding. I knew my brother was heading out for a ride with @gavgav on Thursday evening - I couldn't join them because of covid rules but it spurred me on to go out and do my own ride about an hour after they set out.

I set out to do a variation of my Acton Burnell route, taking the direct way out of the village heading for Condover as I was confident the main road would be quiet. It wasn't bad but there was a little more traffic than I'd anticipated. It quietened on the way to Ryton then, apart from a couple of people walking dogs, I had the lane to myself as far as Longnor. Pausing at the crossroads by Longnor the sky was clear with a great view of the stars and the crescent moon.

I got a good tailwind on the way through Frodesley, Acton Burnell and Pitchford where I noted a couple of potholes that were quite nasty and sort of sneak up on you in the dark (I later learned that Doug had hit these). Through Pitchford and into the dip I had a driver following who was very reluctant to overtake despite a reasonably wide and otherwise empty road. I don't like the ones that do that, they make me nervous.

At Cantlop I carried on down the hill to the bridge then the climb back up to Kingstreet crossroads before heading back to Condover. There was an overnight road closure in Bayston Hill so the A49 was properly quiet on the return. A couple of cars did overtake along the way and I'll admit to having a bit of a smile when they got to the closure and didn't seem to know what to do next.

19.7 miles for this one at 13.4 mph average. No photos coz it was dark.

The following day I inspected Doug's bike as he tells me he actually hit two potholes at speed. I built his wheels so I'm quite pleased to say they are undamaged and still run true.^_^

gavgav

Guru
A very late report: It's been a frustrating week with decent weather about but things ket getting in the way of riding. I knew my brother was heading out for a ride with @gavgav on Thursday evening - I couldn't join them because of covid rules but it spurred me on to go out and do my own ride at about the same time.

I set out to do a variation of my Acton Burnell route, taking the direct way out of the village heading for Condover as I was confident the main road would be quiet. It wasn't bad but there was a little more traffic than I'd anticipated. It quietened on the way to Ryton then, apart from a couple of people walking dogs, I had the lane to myself as far as Longnor. Pausing at the crossroads by Longnor the sky was clear with a great view of the stars and the crescent moon.

I got a good tailwind on the way through Frodesley, Acton Burnell and Pitchford where I noted a couple of potholes that were quite nasty and sort of sneak up on you in the dark (I later learned that Doug had hit these). Through Pitchford and into the dip I had a driver following who was very reluctant to overtake despite a reasonably wide and otherwise empty road. I don't like the ones that do that, they make me nervous.

At Cantlop I carried on down the hill to the bridge then the climb back up to Kingstreet crossroads before heading back to Condover. There was an overnight road closure in Bayston Hill so the A49 was properly quiet on the return. A couple of cars did overtake along the way and I'll admit to having a bit of a smile when they got to the closure and didn't seem to know what to do next.

19.7 miles for this one at 13.4 mph average. No photos coz it was dark.

The following day I inspected Doug's bike as he tells me he actually hit two potholes at speed. I built his wheels so I'm quite pleased to say they are undamaged and still run true.^_^
I almost hit the potholes, but luckily the lights showed them up enough, in time to avoid. Doug not so fortunate....He remarked afterwards that his lights weren’t good enough and he wanted new ones, after comparing them to mine.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A gentle 18 mile saunter across the fen this afternoon in the welcome warm sunshine.

out on the fen near Burwell is a bit of a forgotten picnic table. Stopped for a break in the sun.

Walked the bike the half mile or so along Reach Lode bank. In just 6 or 7 short weeks, cuckoos will be eyeingup Reed warbler‘s nests in those reeds.

Plenty of water left on Burwell Fen.

I then hunkered down in my little secret lockdown hidey hole in some remote woods. I’ve been coming here since April last year watching the seasons slowly change and escaping the world.

Not a bad view either. I wish that was a glow worm next to my flask, but it will be a while yet, and dark, before they show up. I was halfway home when I realised I’d left my bins at the hidey hole. They’d probably be fine there until tomorrow but I thought I better double back just in case of rain, adding a few miles to the ride.

the extra detour brought a barn owl so my forgetful nature pays off occasionally.^_^

Lastly, Reach Lode from the bridge.

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
An afternoon ride, seeing as how the roads were dry and it was quite warm.
Out on the bike with gears for a change and it was all local roads. I'm really looking forward to warmer weather and the chance to get further afield. Once the lockdown gubbins is done with I'm going to be taking the train to places distant and riding back, or maybe riding out and getting the train back. Fresh roads and fresh hills to conquer.
So a quick up and down Oakwood Lane, a loop around Roundhay Road and Easterly Road and then across the park to Moortown and Shadwell.
Wigton Lane, Alwoodley Lane and yet again the back road around Eccup Reservoir.
Time was this lane was almost unused, no cars, occasional walkers and cyclists, cows now and then. Now, it's like a pedestrian precinct. People walking, people with children running to and fro, dog walkers, and today a first for me, a man with a cat on a lead. Combinations of all the above. I suppose people are heartily ticked off with an enforced idleness and are exercising their bodies and also their rights to get out and about. I didn't see any masks as it happens.
In some ways I hope it goes back to being just a quiet, forgotton about little lane, in other ways it's good to see people out of their cars and walking in the fresh air and not trolling about in shopping malls and shops.
Anyway after weaving around people and animals I finally made it all the way to Harrogate Road where I went south and hooked a left back onto Wigton Lane and eventually The Dexter. A left took me through Shadwell village and at the A58 I turned right and back towards Leeds. Down Wellington Hill and a left at Oakwood Lane, down and back up again and another loop around Rounday Road and Easterly Road.
Then back home in good time to prepare some grub for my daughter and son in law who were coming for a meal.

End to end it was 26.6 miles and 1930 ft of up. Did I mention the wind? Well it was windy. Very.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/62817272

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
It was very windy today so tried to stick to back lanes as much as possible to avoid any traffic. Took a longer route into Wem having to keep pedalling all the way down Lowe Hill just to keep moving into the wind, through Wem and into Tilley making better progress with the wind behind me most of the way to Loppington. Turned by the pub towards Burlton, English Frankton then to Colemere. The lanes here are quite sheltered from any wind which made an easier ride to Lyneal, Welshampton crossing the road to Stocks Lane which now has a road closed sign up for the flood, I was turning to Breadon Heath so didn’t need to change my plan, back into the wind to Bettisfield and a slow effort back into the wind dodging huge potholes to Northwood and turn for home.
24.4 miles down some very muddy lanes.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
What a complete contrast to last weekend when it was was grey & bitterly cold with sub-zero windchill. Today the sun finally made an appearance and the temperatures got into double figures despite quite a stiff breeze. I wanted to do a regular ride around Falkenham, Kirton, Newbourne & Waldringfield, but not knowing what the road conditions were like, I decided to take the 29er which is now fitted with some 2.2" slicks. As it turned out, the roads are completely clear and dry with the exception of a couple of areas where the water is still trickling off the fields, plus one corner heading into Martlesham which is under about 3" of water across the whole width and will be like that for some time due to drainage problems.

Almost Lockdown 1 levels of walkers & cyclists out and about, just a shame I couldn't help out the chap in Bucklesham who'd suffered a puncture - I did offer a patch, but he was running tubeless tyres and my spare 29er tube wouldn't have fitted his 25mm tyres. This from Martlesham, just before Beacon Hill...
Bealings Road, Martlesham.jpg
1613860923247.png
1613860952119.png

Mike_P

Guru
Mild weather at last, the icicle that had been a permanent feature on the side of shed for seemingly weeks disappeared at the beginning of the week only for wind to remain a definite chilling feature but seemed to blow itself out yesterday.
A bike wheel turned for the first time in anger in weeks this moring; that being the ebike with the assist largely off on a shopping trip to Morrisons that turned into a trip to Asda as well due to items no longer being stocked at the former.
Did at least manage an, assisted, time up the main climb of the day quicker than have done on the road bike.
Pot holes did not not seem noticeably worse than pre the freeze while a length of cycletrack had been fixed to a reasonably smooth surface where two tree roots had been making for a very lumpy ride. 8.81 miles with 498ft of the vertical stuff.

Old jon

Guru
A bit grey out there, but dry. Forecast and barometer agree that it might stay that way, there is barely any breeze. Not going to waste a day like this, so me and the poor over used Spa left in the direction of away.

Not just any old away, mind. Some thought had gone into this one. Maybe not lots, possibly not even enough. But some.

First, cross the river at Crown Point, and begin to ride up to Oakwood and its clock. Turn left by there, heading for the posh gates of Roundhay Park. Straight past them to the lights at Moortown Corner and two right turns points me and the bike to Shadwell Lane. This is a different way to Slaid Hill, turn left there and when Wike is reached another left onto Forge Lane. This takes me to a junction with the A61 that I had left at Moortown. Turn right, ride to Harewood and turn left to find the bridleway. Ride down this to the A659.

Turn left on this, to ride up the Wharfe valley towards Arthington. Which I reached all too soon, with only sixteen miles on the trip. Definitely not enough thought on this, then. Anyway, I want more miles, ride on through Pool to Otley. No snack stop, already done that, so a squiggle through the town and up Leeds Road. Yet again. Through Bramhope and turn left for the ride up Kings Road, followed by that bit down the eastern side of Golden Acre Park. Through Adel, then back to the A660 to Headingley.

Down the hill to Kirkstall, and choose to ride on the road back into Leeds’ centre. Back over the Aire on Victoria Bridge and then to my front door. After thirty seven miles in fair weather, and more than 1700 feet of up, I reckon the morning is worth a smile.

The garthing did as ever,

21022021.jpg

2102elev.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It was very hard to get anything of note into the pedals this morning. I just crept slowly along. Eventually the body began to recognise what was being asked of it. I was 1 foot from being a hospital case as that was the gap when the oncoming car stopped. Driving too fast and not looking properly. I'm nervous now in similar situations. Anyway the White Rabbit was still happily watching the world go by, the skylarks are beginning to sing and a lapwing peewitted. First I've heard for years. 35 smiles

1613919871528.png
1613919894422.png

1613919935418.png
1613919976613.png

geocycle

Legendary Member
Finally a spring like day. The week of gale force wind finally gave up and the temperature was in double figures. As a lockdown concession I kept localish for 35 miles and 700m of up. Views across to Ingleborough teased me but surely not long now to getting back to the Dales. Up the tiny roads behind Arkholme, a thankful village, so called because they didn’t lose any men in First World War. Nice road through Daltonwoods and across to Silverdale. Got back home and added sealant to the tubeless tyres for the first time without disaster. Enjoyed myself so much forgot to take picture.

Top Bottom