Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out this morning for another try at riding round the Pulverbatch area. There was snow on the ground first thing so I got some proper winter layers on and headed out.

I was going to tackle the loop the opposite way round this time so started off climbing over Lyth Hill and dropping down to Annscroft, as I've done a lot recently, then headed for Plealey and the long steady climb up to Oaks from that side. Not very many people out on Lyth Hill today - the top car park was completely empty which is unusual by recent standards. I overtook another cyclist in Plealey - one of only a couple seen this trip.

From Oaks the views were good in the clear air - I didn't stop to admire them but carried on to Wrentnall and tackled the climb across the edge of Broom Hill, taking the long way round to Pulverbatch then the undulating lanes to Wilderley, Smethcott, Walkmills and down to Leebotwood. The cold weather had done a good job of keeping people indoors and only the most intrepid seemed to have ventured out. Lots of farm operations are going on so the most common vehicle to be seen along the lanes were tractors.

Getting along much better this time I decided to extend the ride and carry on to Dudgeley then across the A49 to return through Hollyhurst, Longnor and Ryton. While approaching Dudgeley I could see that the A49 was very busy, but fortunately when I got to it there was a lulll and the only vehicle was another cyclist crossing the junction from the opposite direction. Knowing that I'd be turning into the wind as I turned towards home I'd been expecting it to be a slog but it wasn't too bad this time and the favourable gradient made for reasonably good progress.

Nearing Condover the headwind made itself a bit more noticable so I opted to head over Lyth Hill rather than face the exposed section and the traffic. Having to ride past a field where muck spreading was taking place upwind of the road wasn't very pleasant xx(. The A49 did prove to be quite busy so it was better to only be on it for a very short time.

28.9 miles this trip at 11.6 mph average. Good to get out with enough layers on. I shall be quite glad when some spring weather returns.

A couple of views taken at Lyth Hill.

Looking towards Eastridge Woods from Broom Hill.

Pulverbatch, with another pub that I look forward to visiting when things are a bit more back to normal.

View to the Lawley, just after crossing the Picklescott road.

The Lawley as the backdrop again as I pause near Dudgeley.

AndreaJ

Veteran
I seem to have booked the wrong week off work because it’s still freezing cold and even the sun has given up on spring, although the wind has finally calmed down and I decided that the white stuff falling from the sky couldn’t be snow! Set off to Northwood turning to Bettisfield, Breadon Heath and across to Welshampton passing a herd of young Highland cattle who were probably quite happy with the cold. Carried on towards Ellesmere spotting the first swallows I’ve seen this year by the Mere, turning up Sandy Lane to Trench then Elson, back into Ellesmere and onto Tetchill , Hordley, Bagley, Weston Lullingfields and Baschurch. Over the crossroads and past the schools to Eyton, Myddlewood, Marton, Burlton, Loppington finding the road to Horton was closed for long overdue pothole repairs, the nice man with the job of standing out in the cold with the road closed signs said I was fine to go through , the man in charge of the road closure the other side of the repairs was also letting everyone through! I turned off at Horton and home. The snow didn’t last very long, 37.6 miles and not many people out today.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I seem to have booked the wrong week off work because it’s still freezing cold and even the sun has given up on spring, although the wind has finally calmed down and I decided that the white stuff falling from the sky couldn’t be snow! Set off to Northwood turning to Bettisfield, Breadon Heath and across to Welshampton passing a herd of young Highland cattle who were probably quite happy with the cold. Carried on towards Ellesmere spotting the first swallows I’ve seen this year by the Mere, turning up Sandy Lane to Trench then Elson, back into Ellesmere and onto Tetchill , Hordley, Bagley, Weston Lullingfields and Baschurch. Over the crossroads and past the schools to Eyton, Myddlewood, Marton, Burlton, Loppington finding the road to Horton was closed for long overdue pothole repairs, the nice man with the job of standing out in the cold with the road closed signs said I was fine to go through , the man in charge of the road closure the other side of the repairs was also letting everyone through! I turned off at Horton and home. The snow didn’t last very long, 37.6 miles and not many people out today.
View attachment 582834

View attachment 582835
You're not the only one - a short shopping trip by bike this morning was enough to convince me a walk was the better option this afternoon.

Old jon

Guru
Still cold, still breezy, cabin fever. I do admire all those who go out for a ride in garbage weather, the sort which has been happening around here just lately. I had to persuade myself to wheel the pretty bike out this morning and pedal away. And, I am glad that I did.

Into Holbeck, actually, cross the beck on the way to Office Lock. Ride along the towpath, oddly, the water level in the canal was higher than usual today. And dropping, bits of towpath still had puddles, ah well. By the time I reached Viaduct Road I still had not warmed up. It took the climb to Headingley to do that. Keep going, Lawnswood is next, and I decided to stay on the A660 all the way out this morning.

Going through Bramhope another rider appeared in front, and was steadily increasing the gap. No hurry here, the gap widens. The lights by the Dyneley Arms shortened it again, and just around the next two bends, road works! So a bit of a chat, and when the lights changed she was still faster than me. Into Otley, I was aiming for the bridge over the Wharfe. So was she, but by a different route. Last seen powering up Billams Hill when I turned right onto Farnley Lane.

And rode up to Farnley. Then down again, crossing the River Washbrook on my way to Pool. The road works in Main Street seem to have finished, rides rather well. Take the first exit from the mini roundabout, muttering my usual litany, and keep riding to Arthington.

After turning right, slog my way up Creskeld Lane. Not slog, really, just enough effort in a low enough gear. Most of the way up it is a bit hemmed in, but the wind found a way around a few times. Just enough for the occasional swerve . . .

Back to Bramhope, turn left by the wine merchants and enjoy the wind assisted ride up Kings Road. Then turn right, downhill until Adel Dam is crossed, and back to the Otley Road at Lawnswood. Headingley to Kirkstall, shall I try the towpath again? Why not? A short diversion, the little bridge has been declared unsafe. A shame, it has likely been there since the canal was opened in 1777. These days there is a busy road over the top, wonder what will be done?

So, back down to Office Lock, under the wings of Water Lane and wend my way through a bit of Hunslet on the way to home. The wind had another go as rode the last rise on the way, but did not blow the smile away. Thirty three miles, 1857 feet up, And a left foot feeling freezing. Brilliant ride though.

Multi coloured map shop, maybe, and some variations in altitude, staying above sea level:-

08042021.jpg

0804elev.jpg

Bright and breezy would be a generous description of today here. Effing freezing more accurate. But still, a surprisingly pleasant 12 mile saunter here today out on the fen.
View attachment 582701

One of my favourite routes near Burwell Fen. I sat in the sun nearby before a few flurries started.

View attachment 582703

After a few more miles I hunkered down in another sheltered spot. Sunny one minute, snow the next.
View attachment 582698
The bike got a dusting.

View attachment 582699

From the bridge. One advantage of the big sky fens is you can see the weather coming from a long way off. So had plenty of time to find the next shelter before another pelting

View attachment 582700

Then it really came down - a nice covering by the end of it. I’ve seen a few swallows so far this spring and I really feel for them in this weather.
If any of our local cuckoos happen to be reading this, we’ve missed you greatly, but please don’t rush back just yet.
Love that last piccy ... very eerie :okay:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yet another battle with the wind just to maintain a decent speed on the open sections. The most unusual thing about today's outing was somehow managing to get 1200ft of upwards stuff in the first 24 miles - who says Suffolk is flat? OK, there was only 250ft in the next 12 miles, but who's counting :smile:

Out via Falkenham, Kirton, Newbourne and Waldringfield to Martlesham, the for the first time in a while I took a diversion through Little Bealings, Great Bealings and Tuddenham St. Martin to get back to Rushmere St. Andrew and the usual Bucklesham Road route home.

1617915798933.png
1617915825986.png

it's been a few weeks but finally got out for a road bike ride on a paved trail. just under 20 miles after work. temps in the low 60sF & ending in the high 50sF I think. 1st ride of the year in shorts. long sleeve base under a short sleeve base worked well. took off the bar mitts & only used some light wind stopper type gloves. left the toe clips (& covers) on cuz I didn't want to swap pedals in my rush. & figured one more ride w/ the covers would be a harmless test. a bucolic day even the horses were enjoying just sitting in the sun. stopped for a selfie w/ some woodland art. looking forward to ditching the face covering once they lift the mandate, if ever
ACTP0136.JPG

ACTP0036.JPG

ACTP0042.JPG

ACTP0051.JPG

ACTP0081.JPG

Strangely, this was exactly the same ride as the last one, but MMR has awrded me an extra quarter mile! Oh well...
A shakedown for the Scott with new rear tyre and new chainrings. It didn't go well on the mechanical front.
Could not select the big ring. Small ring wasn't always available either. No idea what I might have done to the adjustment of it all, but it's complete carp at the moment. The 39t middle ring is pretty much all I'd hoped for, gearing-wise, so I'll persevere with it.

Weather less cold, thankfully. But you know what? Aside from the poor brakes, I enjoy the ride on the mixte more. It all works, always a bonus, and it's waaaay more comfy on the 28s.

theloafer

Legendary Member
bright and sunny ...so off on my fav route... out to Shildon the offroad way .. up Brusselton bank and down through wood. which brings you out at Haggs lane,then onto the 715 ncn cycle route or better known as Hummerbeck lane. across the A68 towards Hilton -Langton over the ford to little Newsham . then a detour down a short section of the A67 to Winston on to Ovington (the maypole village) then on to coffee stop at Eppelby. scone+coffee sat in the sun shine was ace. then back usual route just short of 40 miles grrrr
Morning Ride | Ride | Strava
this little guy was sound asleep

Attachments

• 20210409_125155.jpg
    20210409_125155.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 1

AndreaJ

Veteran
Much warmer today with no wind and unfortunately no sun either. Set off with no particular plan into what was described by BBC weather app as “light drizzle “ towards Whixall deciding to go down Rack Lane to Coton and onto the Whitchurch road, carried on to Quina Brook and down a lane I hadn’t been down before but had a rough idea where it went to take a detour to Edstaston. Turned towards the church then to Poolhead, Foxholes having to slow down while the guinea fowl from the farm decided if they were going to move off the road, for a change they all went in the same direction fairly calmly and I carried on to Horton, Loppington Lyneal and Colemere. There was a big delivery lorry blocking the lane with 2 cars behind it having to wait for it to finish and go, I managed to squeeze past pushing the bike and round Colemere back into Lyneal. Turned off to Welshampton back to Northwood hoping that the road closed signs didn’t really it, just before my turning home the road was closed for the ongoing pothole repairs, there are a lot of potholes but they haven’t got very far down the road since Wednesday! Unfortunately they were diverting the traffic the same way as I was going. The “light drizzle “ turned into heavy rain half way round so I got home very wet apart from the bits covered by my waterproof jacket but still better than riding in the wind. 26 miles and only saw 1 other cyclist and 2 walkers.

Mike_P

Guru
A post work ride today; work duties had taken me out car borne and cyclists were everywhere today. Come 4pm and a bit there was a distinct cool wind but largely sunny. Headed east opting for the climb of Chatsworth Grove aka Humps and a Hill as that time of day Skipton Road seems very busy eastbound even during lockdown; suspect a shift change at a certain military installation :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
Strava says it was a north westerly which could explain the PR up the humps although generally it seemed to be more a north easterly. Then Bilton Lane, with the first canine caused halt of the year, and the A59 to Knaresborough where I took a rarely cycled in this direction route north-west through Scriven to Lingerfield. Turned south-west to reach the third letter A-Z of Scotton.

Thereafter another rare ride in going anti-clockwise around the Brearton(ish)-Nidd route to Ripley. Entering the village from the north I was surprised there was no village nameboard so sought out some appropriate signs.

Heading homewards it certainly seemed to be a north-easterly tailwind beyond Killinghall but any likelihood of a PR was scrubbed by the TTLs. 16.43 miles 973ft climbed.

Top Bottom