Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Todays ride took me along side a racecourse, along old railway lines, along canals and river, past a stately home, through a RSPB reserve along a short bit of The Old Great North Road, all of which I have ridden before, the bits I have not ridden before are the excellent new cycle paths at each side of the new East Leeds Ring Road, they have really thought of cyclists needs here, a lot of connecting paths also, the west side is tarmac the east side is gravel (not sure if they will tarmac it) if all new road construction catered for cycle paths like this development, things would be fantastic.
Just need Skelton Bridge steps sorting out now.

1663349328046.png

Last edited:

ExBrit

Über Member
During our recent heat wave I've been riding at night at the top of a 7,000' mountain so it was at least below 80F when I started. It has cooled a bit so today I plan on riding along the Pacific Coast (at night) and I'll be able to eat a quesadilla at a beach front café I love. I'm really looking forward to that.

IMG_20220916_185333153.jpg

View over the Pacific from the beach path at Bolsa Chica beach.

IMG_20220916_184947891_HDR.jpg

I had to wait a while for the two kite surfers to bracket the sun. Total distance - 45 miles on my Brompton.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Great ride today but not the one I planned. Plan A was to get the train to Penrith and cycle home via Eden valley and Ravenstonedale. Unfortunately got to the station and was told the train I was booked on was cancelled at the last minute so I would need to wait an hour with some uncertainty on whether I’d get the bike on. Quickly abandoned that one and devised a Plan B which was to ride to Dentdale. Really cold morning with some frost so was glad of longs and multiple layers. Out to Ingleton and the climb of Oddies lane onto what must be the smoothest strip of single track tarmac in Yorkshire. Then three heads, Ribblehead viaduct, Newby Head and Dent Head. Tumbled down Dentdale in what was now a cold northwesterly wind. Lunch of French onion soup and fruit cake aided the big climb up Gawthrop. Then it was the wonderful Barbondale and a slightly circuitous route home. 102 km or 64 miles with 1335 m of climbing.

pictures of Chapel-le-Dale road, Dent viaduct, Dent pave and the Sedgwick stone, and bike in front of Ingleborough.

8ED5F0CA-76FF-4CAF-91EC-F337BF41FBED.jpeg

25E2E934-867D-4E89-9015-F5865CF2FA6D.jpeg

16A056F2-4BBE-4A67-BF4E-DC7666BD1745.jpeg

09E4FB25-E7FA-479B-947B-DC59CDDEE5D6.jpeg

13 rider

Guru
Just back from a week away in Cornwall based in Holywell Bay ,got a bit of riding in reminding me how lumpy Cornwall is ,highest point 600ft above sea level ,rides average 90+ feet up per mile so plenty of up and downs
Sept 11th ,40.1 miles ,Elevation 3852ft
Out the door at first lightish 0645 to fill in some velo viewer tiles in my Cornish cluster . Headed in land Holywell Bay , St Newlyn East ,Luke's shop ,White Cross ,Higher Trekking ,Demelza ,Tremayne ,St Columb Major ,Colan ,Newquay ,Lane ,Cubert ,Holywell Bay . 4 tiles gained
Sept 12th 22.35 miles ,Elevation 1562ft
Early start again . This ride was an attempt to reclaim a Strava Kom I lost in July . Holywell Bay ,St Newlyn ,Luke's shop and then full gas to Through Return to the A3075 the Strava segment . Managed to get the crown by 5 seconds :biggrin:. I suspect I won't hold it for long I've took it off a quick local rider so I expect an e mail soon:sad:. Summercourt ,Mitchell ,St Newlyn East ,Holywell Bay .
Sept 14th ,21.8 miles ,Elevation 2064ft
Later start today out at 1030 so changed route to avoid all the tourists ( oh I'm a tourist :biggrin:) Holywell bay ,Crantock ,St Newlyn East ,Zelah ,Goonhavern ,Rose ,Cubert ,Holywell Bay
Sept 15th 40.8 miles ,Elevation ,4150ft
Another ride to add some velo viewer tiles out early again 0645 ,Holywel Bay ,St Newlyn East ,Mitchell ,Laddock ,Trelion ,Coombe ,Grampound ,Tregony where I got caught up in some school traffic gridlock with buses navigating narrow lanes and other traffic .Through Probus . Trispen . The ride went a bit pear shaped here my crossing over the A30 was closed due to the major road works .So had to ride a bit of the A38 then the A30 itself something I would never do but the road works had slowed the traffic down almost to my speed but was glad to get off it . Fiddler's green ,Cubert ,Holywell ,6 velo viewer tiles gained
Weekly total 135 miles with 12,228 ft of upness .Most of my cycling was done on the quiet lanes and the traffic behaved impeccablely ,not pushing past as I groveled up another 10% + hill . I do always pull over and let cars by at the earliest opportunity but try and not stop on a hill . The only downside of the lanes is you can never really enjoy the downhills due to poor line of sight and you never know what's round that blind bend

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Another nice Sunny morning in Wales, but with that keen and cold Northerly still blowing, so jacket and trousers were still needed.

A shorter ride today, setting out through the Dyffryn lanes and onto the main road to Llanbedr. Thankfully it was quieter than on Thursday and the drivers actually knew how to drive.

I turned East and began the climb up the lanes to Cwm Bychan, one of my favourite spots. The lanes were very quiet and it was a pleasant journey up. When reaching the Cwm, I noticed some lads swimming in the pool at the waterfall, they must have been freezing!! I cycled along the edge of the Cwm and then doubled back to my usual snack point.
4BEE6F14-8CCC-4214-B2D8-A1EA0717D699.jpeg

226420C0-DC2D-4563-BBEF-5114F5FD8541.jpeg

I then began the journey back down towards Llanbedr, which was mostly downhill, cold at times and the tourists had by now woken up and so I had quite a few cars to pull in for.

At the Artro bridge, I turned and climbed the steep pull up through the forest, then followed the farm lanes, notable for a buzzard that was sat on a fence post and only took off just as I reached it.

I climbed up the further steep climb, with great views over the coast.
F4B63109-284C-4592-BF2D-05B10453083D.jpeg

BAC2114D-D27E-47EF-9960-0A34EEDFAED4.jpeg

Next was the descent back down to Dyffryn, which is always good fun, but annoyingly I met a car just at the section where you can let the bike go, so had to slow to a stop and lost all of the speed.

I re-traced my steps through the village and got back with 18.1 miles on the clock at 10:3mph avg and 1369 ft of climbing.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I wanted to take the gravel bike out today, but the summer riding has left me with some brake issues that I haven't fully resolved, so I had to take the Mountain Bike out today. The weather has been rough this weekend with storm force winds and frequent heavy showers. This morning though started with bright skies, so out the door and north I headed. The glider school was empty, the wind too strong for flying and straight across the runway I headed. Before long I was into the eaves of the forest and heading up north, the sunlight was slanting through the trees and bathing everything in that beautiful autumnal light.

P1010441.JPG

The initial trails are rough going on the gravel bike, but the hardtail is making light of the work and I'm soon through and onto the gravel roads beyond. The first leaves are turning and against the bright bark of the silver birch the forest here is awash with colour. I come upon a fork in the trail and options open up, I decide to head right and into Wildech and the heathland beyond.

P1010444.JPG

There is a change in the conditions today, for many months now I have been riding in a cloud of dust, which has coated everything. Today though there is a new presence that has not been seen in these parts for many a long month and that is standing water on the trail. It is lovely to see and the vibrant green has returned to the grateful forest.

P1010447.JPG

I'm loving the mountain bike, it is making short work of the sandy sections and we are soon past the worst of it and onto more gravel trails beyond. Despite the recent rains, the lakes just north of Wildech are perilously low. I stop for a short while for a snack and to relax in the sunshine.

P1010450.JPG

I'm not riding much further north today, I did fancy heading up onto the Teifental, but I don't have the time, so I swing round east and start to head back. The heather is in bloom and the moment and whilst there isn't much here it adds a wonderful colour to the verges around.

P1010452.JPG

The trail winds on and heads down towards Reberallah where I pass the grand old oak, that looking more than a little sorry for itself this year with the drought and hot weather. From here I head down a path I'd not taken for a while, normally I find this too rough on the gravel bike, but today is an ideal opportunity to take it. The soft ground is challenging and rough and at one point I stop to look at some paw prints in the soft earth, they don't appear to be dog prints, but there too ill defined to be too sure. I think of the elusive wolves that live here and wonder. Before long I take another break on the trail and eat a homemade energy ball.

P1010456.JPG

I'm soon out of the main forest and heading back on a mixture of rough gravel roads bordered by open fields and looking to my right it's not looking good.

P1010458.JPG

I double down and increase my effort as I reach the last few tarmaced kilometres. I can hear the deep rumble of thunder and the wind has really picked up, I'm struggling though into an incredibly strong headwind on a mountain bike that has all the aero properties of a brick. Eventually I reach the sanctuary of my garden just as the first large drops fall which is the precursor to a much larger shower. Overall it's been an enjoyable Autumn ride of just over 36 km.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
67 miles today in total with another acquaintance from VM to curborough.
Pretty chilly to start so it was arm/legwarmers / gilet and 2 pairs of gloves and i was warm but not overheating although my feet were cold for the 1st 30 miles or so .A very blustery day so we of course planned it so we had a tailwind back :smile:
Ride mate is struggling with hip flexor issues that a bike fit and rest cannot fix although running doesnt affect it :sad: , after a cuple of hours he starts to suffer and cannot get out of the saddle to put any power down when needed so i was the designated driver at the front so i had a good work out today , just as we got back it was starting to rain so as i headed home it started to come down heavy and wind blown but still managed an average of 17.7 mph which i would have been happy with even pre crash :smile:
1663516356324.png

1663516520002.png

1663516560591.png

geocycle

Legendary Member
Impromptu afternoon ride to make use of the unexpected public holiday. Headed out to Littledale and up the steep climb with some great views across Morecambe Bay. Then skirted beneath Clougha Pike to the big climb up Jubilee Tower. Even better views across the bay and to the Lake District hills. Looped around through Marshaw and the trough of Bowland road. 57 km or 36 miles with 863 m of climbing.

view from Jubilee Tower.
88FD1E0E-9005-4D18-8963-B583AAB723B2.jpeg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
very slow pootle with mini ck 1 who was struggling from the start so we only managed 5 miles to the 1st place we could stop then rode back very slowly and we had to walk up every incline.I got cold and it took a few hours for my circulation to get back to my hands and feet .
I had planned to go out again for a blast this afternoon but the weather was pants so i have been mooching around bored as mrs ck has had the funeral on all day

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Saturday's social was bloody cold to begin with (I set off an hour or so early to get to the start in Exeter). Luckily there's a big hill on the way, so I warmed up). This week was Mamhead with the option of a Hare extension. Main roads out of the city to Exminster, then lanes to Starcross and the Mamhead climb. Our president was riding to ensure strict discipline, but we were allowed to ride our own pace on the hill and regroup at the top. I followed Jude, who had just returned from a week's training in Majorca. I managed to hang on just about to the top, where we had a welcome breather until the others arrived.
Jude suggested the Hare extension, so three of us diverted to Chudleigh (and a sneaky cafe stop - don't tell Mme President) then along the Teign valley and over Longdown back to town.
We decided against finishing at the quay. Mike left us and I followed Jude along a complicated back road and cyclepath route across the north of the city until he turned for home and I took a fairly direct way home for 123k total.

The previous week had been an easterly route which returned to the city on the old A30, where our president had organised us into a chaingang which, after 70k or so, made serious demands on my reserves of sweat. But we were spared the agony this time.

Sorry, no pics, but here's the route.
mamhare.JPG
And last week's for comparison (a badly drawn snail)
snail.JPG

Top Bottom