Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Recce a ride today - possibly still a bit wet in places...

IMG_2060.jpeg

A much sunnier day than forecasted and I met a couple of mates at Langley Bush Corner for a ride up to the Hambleton Bakery, and I used up 2 of my 12 with a stop in the beer garden of the Haycock hotel in Wansford before the 14.5miles cycle home. It only just clouded over now after 6pm, it had been forecast to cloud over about 12pm :-)
1714930506374.png

1714930590469.png

gsezRF5hA2MwNqApepAtzjNCfP8q06rL2fCwZSGk-1536x2048.jpg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Up at 5:30 yesterday morning, leaving wife & children snoring. A quick breakfast before picking up a mate (well, a guy i met in a pub once), loading his bike onto the towbar rack, and then a quick dash down the A3. Left the car at Gunwharf Quays and then hopped onto the Isle of Wight ferry for the 2024 Randonnee.

A great atmosphere as ever with lots of cheerful and chatty riders, albeit a few rude club riders in identi-kit outfits bellowing orders to each other and paying scant regard to the HC!

Weather was mostly kind but we were riding in the cloud at times which meant some dampness, and there was definite rain between Bembridge and Wroxall, and a heavy downpour with hail on the approach to Cowes.
I was much fitter than last time I did the Randonnee, most sections of the ride being 11-12% faster, and the fun section from Ventnor to Freshwater being an amazing 47% faster - awesome!

The stats:
67 miles; 4,623 feet of ascents, circa 4 hrs 40 mins (moving time)
1715001716207.png

Bl**dy lycra louts!
1715001760814.png

Ventnor Rugby Club, misty.

1715001788110.png

Had it been sunny, I'd have gone west to see The Needles.

1715001824124.png

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
A week on from an op and having felt pretty tired most days I embarked on a recovery ride. Weather was warm and humid with thunderstorms forecast later especially on the hills so I elected to take a flattish route to Beacon Fell country park and then back across the flatlands of the Fylde. I picked up the gravel track along the Lune estuary whee the tide was very high over topping the salt marsh. Then headed inland up the edge of the Bowland fells to the grouse moors of Harris end and the perched reservoir at Grizedale Lea. Enjoyed watching stonechats and the skylarks sent me all Vaughan Williams. Then up Beacon Fell for and early lunch. Lots of people were enjoying the bank holiday although the views were not great today. The return took me westward to Great Eccleston and across the 20p toll bridge at Cartford. Then flat roads to Pilling and the estuaries. 81 km with 625 m climbed.

pictures of bike by Lune Estuary and hazy view from Harris End.

IMG_0512.jpeg

IMG_0513.jpeg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
There's a badge available every year for riders of the Isle of Wight randonnee. Not a medal, just a souvenir you can buy.
View attachment 729861
And no, these aren't mine, i only have two!

I think I need one of those.

EDIT. Goes off to find out what a Randonee is.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Bank holiday ? check
sunny ? check ?
time for a big ride .... error !!!
joking aside , mrs ck at work so im in charge of the sproglets which amounts to keeping them amused whilst not destroying my sanity so i only managed to get a short one in today .23 miles gotten in at a pace the same as yesterdays ride so im guessing the legs were a bit tired from yesterdays ride as it was the quickest 100 km this year .
Got home and by the time i had a shower it was clouding over and rain followed not long after so i reckon i timed it right :smile:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Went to Waitrose on the Fuji, various inconsequential and mostly positive things happened.. largely missed the rain but got a bit of mileage out of my bargain CRC waterproof shell.

As is often the case it was really good to get out; my head being in a much better place than this time yesterday.

The novelty of the exquisitely-adjusted brakes still hasn't worn off :tongue:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Saturday: My brother and I have been over at the Welsh coast with @gavgav for the weekend. The weather was damp on the way there the evening before and the forecast didn't look at all promising for a ride, however we awoke to a grey but dry day and after breakfast at the site cafe decided to get some miles in. Gav had a route planned for the next day so this couldn't be too big a ride and we settled on heading up to Cwm Bychan which is very scenic and Doug hasn't been there before.

A mile or so on gravel and quiet lanes brought us out onto the main coast road where we headed for Llanbedr. The traffic wasn't too busy but there were some drivers eager to press on and one that started an overtake into a blind right hander approaching the village then thought better of it and had to back off. It was good to get onto the quieter road and the start of a long climb, which Doug managed alright considering he hasn't ridden much this year so far. The scenery is great, there was hardly any traffic and we could go at a sociable pace.

We rode to the parking area at the head of the valley - after one photo stop I let a car past and they proceeded to hold me up for a bit before allowing me past to catch Doug and Gav up. We retraced our steps to a point where there was a good view and paused for lunch then dropped back down the valley to Llanbedr and joined a lane I haven't ridden before - this would be a test for Doug as it was a properly steep climb but he managed it alright. There followed some nice lanes and a good view over the coast before we dropped back down to the camp site.

18.6 miles at 10.2 moving average. 1363 feet of climbing. An excellent excursion - it may have been grey and a bit chilly but the rain held off for the whole ride.

20240504_122549.jpg

20240504_122902.jpg

Following Afon Artro up the valley.

20240504_123704.jpg

20240504_123725.jpg

Not far from the lake.

20240504_124434.jpg

20240504_124854.jpg

20240504_125330.jpg

Views at Llyn Cwm Bychan.

20240504_133808.jpg

Doug & Gav nearing the top of the steep climb of the day.

20240504_134641.jpg

Microwave in a dry stone wall, because obviously......:blink:

20240504_135039.jpg

The view before we start to descend again.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
First time this year out in shorts and T shirt.
Took the Brompton to Cholsey post office today which is about 6.5 miles away, needed post a parcel, and pay some cash in, first task ok, but PO don’t except payment for my bank, so I had to cycle to Wallingford to the BS.

On the way I took some photos, including on of the B next to Agatha Christie’s grave, the church.
Lovely warm day and nice to be out in a t shirt and shorts.
I’ll let the photos do the talking.
IMG_5212.jpeg

SIR PATRICK ABERCROMBIE 1879-1957
pioneer of town and Country Planning lived here 1945-1957
IMG_5213.jpeg

IMG_5214.jpeg

Agatha Christie grave.
IMG_5215.jpeg

IMG_5216.jpeg

St Mary’s Cholsey
IMG_5217.jpeg

IMG_5218.jpeg

Not to cyclists it ain’t, but they don’t tell you that a mile down the road.

ExBrit

Über Member
First time this year out in shorts and T shirt.
Took the Brompton to Cholsey post office today which is about 6.5 miles away, needed post a parcel, and pay some cash in, first task ok, but PO don’t except payment for my bank, so I had to cycle to Wallingford to the BS.

On the way I took some photos, including on of the B next to Agatha Christie’s grave, the church.
Lovely warm day and nice to be out in a t shirt and shorts.
I’ll let the photos do the talking.
View attachment 730028
SIR PATRICK ABERCROMBIE 1879-1957
pioneer of town and Country Planning lived here 1945-1957
View attachment 730029

View attachment 730030
Agatha Christie grave.
View attachment 730031

View attachment 730032
St Mary’s Cholsey
View attachment 730033

View attachment 730034
Not to cyclists it ain’t, but they don’t tell you that a mile down the road.

I really miss England (when it's not raining)

Top Bottom