Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archeress

Veteran
I've been on holiday for the last ten nights or so. We went to York for 5 nights and then to Bangor (ish) for another 5 nights. Still recoving from my mental illness so at times I was asleep while my fiance drive us to/from activities. Best part of the holiday was the walking around Betws-y-Coed. We spent 2 days doing walks in the woods there. Back home now and my fiance has gone to Eastbourne for the weekend with friends leaving me at home alone.

I had a one-one session with a counsellor pacticing reaxation techniques to alleviate my thoughts. The location for these sessions is in Downend so I decided to cycle over. I had to pop into Tesco on the way there to pick up a couple of items to be able to make the (Xmas) cake and then followed the Concorde Way cycle route most of the way. Just shy of the destination there is a small cafe and as I am not supposed to arrive before my appointment decided to while away some time over an orange juice. Leaving the cafe, I continued onto the surgery and was waiting at the double mini roundabout for a clear gap when a (noisy) car pulls up on my left. The driver has his window down and starts wassupping, so I looked over and smiled but didn't want to get anymore involved than that. Then to my surprise he says to me, I'll get you over safely love, I'll pull out and you keep alongside me! :thumbsup::girl:

The return journey was uneventful and getting home I tucked into a nice egg mayo sandwich and then after a rest started to prepare the aformentioned festive cake which is now in the oven.

Got to keep myself happy over the next couple of days and then try returning to work again on Monday. Bit anxious about the return to work.

Hugs
Archeress x

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
:blink: (Edit: I'd just like to point out that my commuting miles are all done on the knockabout bike - an 18kg lump, plus luggage.:heat:)
They are good 'training miles' to keep you fit.:smile:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My last 'this' home to hospital run today only I didn't stop at the hospital but carried on for another couple of miles to meet Hubster at a client's house. 10.4 miles in - I'm guessing here - about 45/50 minutes or so. I did take my garmin but I've packed the USB lead that goes with it so I'll find out when I unpack. Delayed gratification is a good thing sometimes ^_^
My bike is now at the new address hidden under an old duvet that we had taken up originally as we had wrapped a couple of mirrors in it. Will have to ride the Giant tomorrow. It might pay me to put a saddle on it before taking it to the new flat.:eek:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My ride from last Thursday due to w*ork and stuff not giving me the chance to post much for a few days..

Four of us drove up to Cannock Chase for a blast around the Monkey Trail, a fun MTB course that we've visited many a time now!
I rode over to Duston on my Hardtail as the full-sus is still in need of some work so didn't want to wreck it further on the lumps and bumps of Cannock. That was my first 8 miles of the day, and, apart from having to wag my figure at an errant car driver once, it was an uneventful start to the day.
After drinking tea and eating a few Jaffa Cakes, we set off at midday for the 'proper' ride. Getting there and setting off at about 14:00 ish, we would be touch and go on getting back to the car-park before the café closed at 17:00. Luckily for us, one of the chaps wasn't up to riding the full trail, so he tootled around some more gentle tracks and we were able to text him of tea and coffee order in case we weren't back in time. This obviously meant that he had would have to pay! Result :thumbsup:

DSC_0025.jpg

One of the boardwalks across a boggy bit. I managed to ride off the edge of one of these once and got a bit grubby. All went well on this ride though, with only one fairly minor 'off'. Not by me this time though.

DSC_0035-sml.jpg

After quite a few tough climbs and hairpin bends to manoeuvre round there's some cracking downhill runs, with flowing bends and berms to enjoy. It can be dangerous though if you're not careful, and some of the drops off the side would cause serious pain if taken too fast!

DSC_0042.jpg

It was really wet in places that made it slippery riding over the Autumn leaves, with deep troughs, often up to axle deep in places. This one was about a yard wide, 2 yards long and 2 foot deep at the bottom of a sharp slope. :ohmy:

connock.png

cannock-graph.png

The chap we'd left to ride the gentler trails text us to see what time we would be back, and, as luck would have it, we turned up just as he was walking out of the café with a tray of hot drinks! Excellent timing, 5 minutes before the place shut.. Woulda thought it, eh! :whistle:
A great day out all in all, and a return is planned fairly soon..
Only 13 miles around the trail, but it's all either up or down.

Quite a few PB's on Strava, which is pleasing as I was on the SL4, not the Full Sus.

http://www.strava.com/activities/208016583

:smile:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I did my first audax today, "an autumn day out" starting and ending at Trowell in Notts.
We set off at 8.15 in 3 groups, we were in the second group. Within 5 minutes we'd caught the first group, so on narrow lanes at a surprisingly break neck speed we headed out towards Sutton Bonnington. Just after here there is a hill. I was in a fairly large gear and my legs were feeling good, so I thought "why not?", I stood up and gave it some. About half way up I hit a patch of shiny tar used to seal in a hole. It was greasy, and my bike shot sideways, how I stayed on I don't know. My brother Pete did the same and his chest hit his stem, but we all survived!
We went on through Quorn and Mountsorrel to a check point at Stonehurst farm, tea was taken.
The next bit of the ride through to Wymondham was lovely, we had a tail wind for a change, plus a fairly stern shower. Fast decents on unfamiliar, wet roads, nice!
We stopped at Wymondham windmill for a bite to eat before riding through beautiful countryside. At Belvior we went round a right angled bend, then took a hammering from a head wind for.... Ooh, seemed like 1000 miles, but itrobably wasn't even 10.
We passed a sign for Keyworth 2.5 miles.... Keith's lives there, but we headed to East Leake and the next cafe/ check point

Keith
image.jpg

Pete

image.jpg

And ugly old me... (Note the shop behind me!)

image.jpg

There were a few cheeky little slopes on the last leg of the ride to give us a bit of a prod!

In all 96.40 miles (I know!) at an average of 15.42mph with 1496 metres of up.

What a great day out!

rb58

Enigma
Having been off the bike for a couple of weeks due to a bad cold and a heavy workload, I really needed to get some miles in. So I hooked up with @young Ed who was also looking for some miles. An early start, and I took the direct A20 route past Brands Hatch (and past all the sleeping campers getting ready for World Superbikes), and on past the London Golf Club where the World Match Play championships were being held. All the time battling a fierce headwind. Through Maidstone and on to Headcorn where Ed and I joined up. I swear Ed is 2 foot taller than our last ride in the Spring. Must be something in the water in Kent. Ashford was the next stop and I was salivating all the way, looking forward to a sausage roll at the International Station Cafe. But disaster!! The cafe has closed. And I don't mean, not open, I mean shut, closed, finished. It is an ex-cafe. Not sure what @ianrauk, @martint235 and @Mista Preston are going to do now!??

Petrol station to the rescue, then returned via Headcorn (bye Ed) Marden, Yalding, Ightham and the always entertaining Exedown hill. Quick fix of a puncture and home with 104 miles on the clock.

Good to ride with you again Ed.

young Ed

Veteran
Having been off the bike for a couple of weeks due to a bad cold and a heavy workload, I really needed to get some miles in. So I hooked up with @young Ed who was also looking for some miles. An early start, and I took the direct A20 route past Brands Hatch (and past all the sleeping campers getting ready for World Superbikes), and on past the London Golf Club where the World Match Play championships were being held. All the time battling a fierce headwind. Through Maidstone and on to Headcorn where Ed and I joined up. I swear Ed is 2 foot taller than our last ride in the Spring. Must be something in the water in Kent. Ashford was the next stop and I was salivating all the way, looking forward to a sausage roll at the International Station Cafe. But disaster!! The cafe has closed. And I don't mean, not open, I mean shut, closed, finished. It is an ex-cafe. Not sure what @ianrauk, @martint235 and @Mista Preston are going to do now!??

Petrol station to the rescue, then returned via Headcorn (bye Ed) Marden, Yalding, Ightham and the always entertaining Exedown hill. Quick fix of a puncture and home with 104 miles on the clock.

Good to ride with you again Ed.
indeed a good mornings riding for me at about 43 miles :smile:
and yes, i have shot up to about 6' now! need to adjust saddle and stem/ buy a new bike now :biggrin: i really do think i can see the magical N+1 on the horizon now :biggrin::biggrin: :hyper:

i was struggling to keep up with that head wind for most of the way from ashford back to headcorn but still found the energy to peddle off 7 miles or so to a farm for a bit of milking after lunch :smile:
Cheers Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom