Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Got my first ride of 2014 in earlier. A nice easy 19 mile pootle around the flatlands via Lode village then up to Wicken Fen and back.

There seem to be more deer around these days than I can ever remember. They're getting quite bold too, like this one munching away on winter wheat quite happy in the middle of the field. (Rubbish pic unfortunately- it is a deer - honest!)
Roe Deer.jpg

They're mainly roe deer hereabouts like this one, though I did have a run in with a muntjac the other day which seemed determined to race me down a lane. It won of course.

This is Burwell Lode a bit further along, taken from the disapointing bridge.
Burwell Lode.jpg

A thoughtful dog walker had kindly placed a specimen of their pooch's produce in a squashed plastic bag at the foot of the bridge making almost impossible to get past without treading in it :sad:.

Then out across Burwell Fen where these handsome creatures were peering at me..
highland.jpg

I then stood on Reach Lode bridge to watch out for owls and wasn't disappointed- two barn owls and two short eared owls soon appeared. A marsh harrier passed by as well- always a lovely sight.

By now my lovely clean bike was pretty muddy, so it was good to get home and hose half the county off of it!
All in all, a fine start to the cycling year- long may it continue.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
First ride in 3 weeks. 2nd attempt at getting back on my bike following surgery back in October (managed just two weeks commuting in early December before my bearing gave way).

21 miles at steady pace, having had a few weeks off my chest was suffering with the cold, and I struggled for about 8 miles before my lungs adjusted.

Anti inflamatory tablets and other meds taken now. Just hope it doesn't flare up again.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After yesterdays MTB mud and rain fest, it was lovely to see the sun shining and not too much breeze :smile:

I'd arranged to meet a mate for a road ride from my side of town. It's a route I've done a few times before but I just add a few new roads each time I go.
This is me posing beside a road sign...

bell-end.jpg

I know... I really need to grow up!! :laugh:

Anyways, from Wollaston, we rode to Podington (of Santa Pod fame) and on through the local villages. Hinwick, Odell, Carlton and Felmersham, where the river was over the banks, but not enough to close the road luckily..

DSC_1251.jpg

We felt the need for cake so aimed for our regular haunt, Salcey Forest. As it was school hols, the place was really busy. Great to see all the kids out in the fresh air, on the climbing frames and swings etc.
They seem to have run out of most things, no sausage rolls, baked potatoes and pies. Luckily they had several slices of coffee cake to sustain us.

DSC_1253.jpg

Darn tasty cake it is as well :thumbsup:

I was up for a few more miles but reckoned by the time we got back to towards town, it would be dusk. As we didn't have our lights with us, we aimed for home.

First 50 mile ride of the year done and dusted! Quite happy with that, and a few PB's to keep Strava happy..

http://www.strava.com/activities/103474864

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Had a very tough ride of attrition today. Seeing as today was the only break in all the heavy rain that we have been having decided to knock out January's 100 miler for the 2014 challenge. Thought I had better take the mudguarded commuter and a good choice it was too. The ride was rolling along nicely on a route I know well. Until that is by the time I got to Yalding. I had seen Yalding mentioned on the news (The BBC saying some of the worst flooding in the South East) but to see how much flood water there actually was, was a real eye opener, wherever you looked was flood water. So what to do. Go back? Nope didn't want to do that. Turn left after the bridge? Nope, police won't let me as it's far too much flood water and too deep. OK turn right it was. Had to cycle through a good couple of miles of flood water. There were a few cars just abandoned in the water from when it was higher. It wasn't just Yalding, it seemed the whole of Kent was one big lake. It was 25 miles to Ashford from Yalding and I lost count of the amount of flooded roads I had to cycle through. Thank gawd for Sealskinz socks. I perfected the art of scissoring the pedals and my feet seemed to stay dry. Until one tosser in a car drove though the flood water too fast covering me in water of which went into the socks. A church yard bench in Headcorn made for a good rest whilst I wrung out the socks and gave them a spin to help dry them of sorts (that must of looked weird if anyone happened to be watching).
Anyway.. finally got to Ashford. What to do? Didn't fancy going back the same way. So decided to grab some lunch, get a train to Tonbridge, once at Tonbridge head west towards the A23 and loop north then east. All well and good. I got to just outside Edenbridge when I got the expected wet weather puncture. No probs, out with the old and in with the new (well previously repaired tube). (3 cyclists who passed offered help - cheers chaps). As I turned the wheel to check the tyre a huge amount of water came out of the (deep) rims. I thought it would be a good idea to repair the tube I took out whilst having a little rest. (I don't usually repair tubes on the go as I wait until I get home). An inspired choice as it happens as about a mile later the replacement decided to let go. OK I was a bit peeved now. It had started to rain and the headwind cycling west was taking it's toll. Replaced the tube again with the one I repaired. Edenbridge station was just around the corner. I wanted to bail and just get home now. I had done 67 miles with another 37 to go. And I didn't fancy my chances going cross country with just the one tube. As I approached the station I saw a train just pulling away. Bollocks. I know that from Edenbridge there is one train an hour during the day. I didn't fancy sitting on a cold, damp platform for an hour feeling sorry for myself. so told myself to man up and get back on the route. I was rolling along again. the rain had stopped and I was making good progress. I got to Lingfield Racecourse to be greeted by more flooding. Bollocks to it, I wasn't going to find a way round so just went for it again. There was a lot of water but this time not as deep. The Sealskinz socks did their job again, keeping the tootsies dry. Got to the A23 and it was plain sailing all the way home. Major roads so no more flooding. Though by this time having not done a long ride in anger since early December and no riding for over a week My legs were telling me to ease up. Got to Merstham, had a rest and stuffed my gob with a couple of bags of Haribo. That did the trick and I was back on my way. Got home an hour and a half later then when I usually do this planned ride. The bike is more filthy then anything that @potsy could ever manage. As soon as I got home I took the tyres off the wheels so I could drain the rims of water. The bike will get a complete strip down tomorrow.
So that's January's Century ride completed. 104 miles on the clock. Glad I missed that train and carried on. And the park tools patch held all the way home too.

c105.jpg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Had a very tough ride of attrition today. Seeing as today was the only break in all the heavy rain that we have been having decided to knock out January's 100 miler for the 2014 challenge. Thought I had better take the mudguarded commuter and a good choice it was too. The ride was rolling along nicely on a route I know well. Until that is by the time I got to Yalding. I had seen Yalding mentioned on the news (The BBC saying some of the worst flooding in the South East) but to see how much flood water there actually was, was a real eye opener, wherever you looked was flood water. So what to do. Go back? Nope didn't want to do that. Turn left after the bridge? Nope, police won't let me as it's far too much flood water and too deep. OK turn right it was. Had to cycle through a good couple of miles of flood water. There were a few cars just abandoned in the water from when it was higher. It wasn't just Yalding, it seemed the whole of Kent was one big lake. It was 25 miles to Ashford from Yalding and I lost count of the amount of flooded roads I had to cycle through. Thank gawd for Sealskinz socks. I perfected the art of scissoring the pedals and my feet seemed to stay dry. Until one tosser in a car drove though the flood water too fast covering me in water of which went into the socks. A church yard bench in Headcorn made for a good rest whilst I wrung out the socks and gave them a spin to help dry them of sorts (that must of looked weird if anyone happened to be watching).
Anyway.. finally got to Ashford. What to do? Didn't fancy going back the same way. So decided to grab some lunch, get a train to Tonbridge, once at Tonbridge head west towards the A23 and loop north then east. All well and good. I got to just outside Edenbridge when I got the expected wet weather puncture. No probs, out with the old and in with the new (well previously repaired tube). (3 cyclists who passed offered help - cheers chaps). As I turned the wheel to check the tyre a huge amount of water came out of the (deep) rims. I thought it would be a good idea to repair the tube I took out whilst having a little rest. (I don't usually repair tubes on the go as I wait until I get home). An inspired choice as it happens as about a mile later the replacement decided to let go. OK I was a bit peeved now. It had started to rain and the headwind cycling west was taking it's toll. Replaced the tube again with the one I repaired. Edenbridge station was just around the corner. I wanted to bail and just get home now. I had done 67 miles with another 37 to go. And I didn't fancy my chances going cross country with just the one tube. As I approached the station I saw a train just pulling away. Bollocks. I know that from Edenbridge there is one train an hour during the day. I didn't fancy sitting on a cold, damp platform for an hour feeling sorry for myself. so told myself to man up and get back on the route. I was rolling along again. the rain had stopped and I was making good progress. I got to Lingfield Racecourse to be greeted by more flooding. Bollocks to it, I wasn't going to find a way round so just went for it again. There was a lot of water but this time not as deep. The Sealskinz socks did their job again, keeping the tootsies dry. Got to the A23 and it was plain sailing all the way home. Major roads so no more flooding. Though by this time having not done a long ride in anger since early December and no riding for over a week My legs were telling me to ease up. Got to Merstham, had a rest and stuffed my gob with a couple of bags of Haribo. That did the trick and I was back on my way. Got home an hour and a half later then when I usually do this planned ride. The bike is more filthy then anything that @potsy could ever manage. As soon as I got home I took the tyres off the wheels so I could drain the rims of water. The bike will get a complete strip down tomorrow.
So that's January's Century ride completed. 104 miles on the clock. Glad I missed that train and carried on. And the park tools patch held all the way home too.

View attachment 35497

Sometimes one like is not enough

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just to give you guys an idea of how cold it is. There is currently ice formed on the inside of my kitchen window because the condensation has frozen and crystallised.
So you're definitely not going out then? :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom