Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Get In The Van

first chain gang of the year, a brisk 32 miles, stayed at the back to help a guy along and give him some support and shelter, freezing wind on some exposed sections though.
a regular run out every week now with other riders and hopefully get up to the next fastest group in a few weeks and see if I can hang on.
bit different to the club rides but all good fun :thumbsup:

Mrs mike is on holiday so i let her have the car and commuted to work instead.Left Brechin early doors and did altogether a 27 mile round trip on my mtb.This happened with the distraction of a 8 hour shift inbetween. Work over i was looking forward to the run home when i turned out of my workplace and was hit with the mother of all headwinds all the way back. Needless to say my return journey took a wee tickey longer . For my kindness i am now the proud owner of a very sore bum and legs.It is probs a case of too much too soon as i haven't done much in the last few weeks, however i feel that if i do some more miles in the next few days my body parts will have had a good breaking in and longer runs should be easier.On arriving home i found an empty house and a sink full of dirty dishes which my 16 year old daughter had left in her wake. Nothing else for it but to get showered and head up to watch the Brechin v Forfar match. Brechin lost 4-3.Ride safe everyone. Mike.

compo

Veteran
Nice 41 miler in the sunshine. I was going really well making good progress until was 8 miles from home and my steering felt funny thanks to a visit from she who will remain nameless. Anyway it was quite pleasant sitting in the warm sun on the side of the road changing my tube.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
45 miles after work. Nice to see spring is here at last.

IMAG0514_BURST002.jpg

Stopped for a coffee near Tring

IMAG0516.jpg

Warm enough to get my legs out!

IMAG0518_BURST002.jpg

400bhp

Guru
first chain gang of the year, a brisk 32 miles, stayed at the back to help a guy along and give him some support and shelter, freezing wind on some exposed sections though.
a regular run out every week now with other riders and hopefully get up to the next fastest group in a few weeks and see if I can hang on.
bit different to the club rides but all good fun :thumbsup:

Out of interest, how fast do you go in your chain gangs?

Today I decided that the ride/commute to my mother's would be done using as few roads as possible. 42 miles later, if I ever propose such a ludicrous thing again, will someone please have me sectioned/locked up... anything but let me try that again.

It started well. At the bottom of my lane, there is the Whitegate Way, a disused and converted railway which runs for 6 miles to Winsford. No issues there, I use it at lot. I madly then decided that I would try my hardest to use as few roads as possible and headed off for the River Weaver and National Cycle Route 5. I didn't photo the kissing gates, because it was starting to rain and I could not be bothered. But they are of such a size that the front wheel needs to be at 90 degrees to your bike to be able to get the bike in & passed the gate. The 2nd one will only just fit a 15.5" mountain bike frame with the front wheel at 90 degrees... Anyhow, I did come across as really tolerant heron who actually stayed put and let me attempt to photo him/her and didn't fly off.

IMG_5785.JPG

From there I headed off towards the Shropshire Union Canal which the off-road section of NCR 5 & 71 both follow and other than the bicycle barrier & steps down onto the canal towpath, it was fine and quite pleasant.

IMG_5786.JPG
IMG_5787.JPG

Then fun and games. I had planned a route that made navigation easy. It did not make cycling easy. Into Middlewich to the end of the canal and turn right - this is not a particulaly well used towpath and navigating the flock of swans (around 40 or so) was easier than some of the dogs I met. The swans just ignored me... "Molly" however, though it great fun to chase me run in front of me and then back again, repeat.
Further on, along a section that was clealy more well used by all, I met the first of the obstacles. There was a gate, but it did not open, so panniers had to come off, and I had to up-end my bike to get it through a diamond shaped hazzard which was almost not wide enough for walk through. OK so far, but not particularly impressed, not helped with the fact that the canal is not particularly 'nice' along that section either. Then randomly in the middle of nowhere, this hazzard.... (you can't go around it btw).

IMG_5788.JPG

OK - Well I can deal with that, not too bad but still not necessary....

1 mile further on and I have come to the conclusion, someone somewhere really does not like cyclists... This one needs you to line up the bike first...

IMG_5789.JPG

It carried on in that theme until I reached the section alongside the Wheelock Way.
I have never been so thankful to see the M6. It signified one thing and one thing only - 1 more uphill lock - lock 57 and I could come off the canal and use the Salt Line (converted railway) to get to my mothers. It took 2hrs 30 mins to get to my mother's off road.

I am sorry to say, THEY WON, (sorry) I found a different route home. I got home in 1hr 54 mins by avoiding that section of canal and using the road between Sandbach & Middlewich instead - a nice, wide NSL single carriageway A road.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Today's outing was my first in four weeks having had a series of colds and coughs that were difficult to shake off. Twenty two miles from Ribblehead station to Hawes and back. I took two colleagues with me and we all suffered with the head wind, sleet and cold. I shared several pies with them. I struggled a bit with a set of lungs not used to working hard. We finished the ride at the Station Inn with beer and one of their pork and chili pickle pies. Got to get some more miles in to regain fitness.

3u4y2ety.jpg

The road to Hawes

saru9uve.jpg

Ian and Paul savour pies in Hawes

huzu4u9y.jpg

Ribblehead Viaduct

e6arujep.jpg

The last of the snow in the hills

asynuse9.jpg

Pork and chilli pickle pie.

Lee_M

Guru
not today but tomorrow.

55 miles up into deepest Suffolk (I think its Suffolk) to help marshal our open TT (I'd rather marshal than ride down the A14!) then another 20 miles to my sister in laws - I hope it doesn't rain - don't fancy standing around wet for 3 hours marshalling

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Today I decided that the ride/commute to my mother's would be done using as few roads as possible.

It started well.

Then fun and games. I had planned a route that made navigation easy. It did not make cycling easy.

I am sorry to say, THEY WON, (sorry) I found a different route home. I got home in 1hr 54 mins by avoiding that section of canal and using the road between Sandbach & Middlewich instead - a nice, wide NSL single carriageway A road.
They have obviously had a lot of trouble with 'youths' on motorbikes in that area alongside the canal.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
not today but tomorrow.

55 miles up into deepest Suffolk (I think its Suffolk) to help marshal our open TT (I'd rather marshal than ride down the A14!) then another 20 miles to my sister in laws - I hope it doesn't rain - don't fancy standing around wet for 3 hours marshalling
Glad to hear you also marshall, a pretty rare thing with the club I used to ride with.

They have obviously had a lot of trouble with 'youths' on motorbikes in that area alongside the canal.
well if they have, they are long gone. there is little evidence of anyone using it at all now (there is hardly a path to follow and when there is it is less than a tyre width wide) and the towpath side of the canal is farmland only in that area, nothing more. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=whe...heshire+East,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=14&iwloc=A
between Wheelock & Elton Road - not exactly a downtown "rough" area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom