Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just back from a very muddy, but totally enjoyable 12 miles!
Mixture of cycle path, towpath and trail.

Loved every freakin' minute!!

I wore shorts today to see if it would help the sore butt issue. They had better padding so possibly, but what I did notice was I kept sliding myself towards the back of the saddle. So either, the saddle needs to be moved back a few mm's or it's tilted, or both!

I'm going to look at that tomorrow.
In the meantime, here's a few dirty pics...:laugh:

20140119_132750_resized_zpsa3628982.jpg

Muddy pit stop at the bottom of the cemetery hill

20140119_132803_resized_zpsc1fcd2df.jpg

Told you it was muddy....
You wore shorts in this weather?? :ohmy: :cold:

You wore shorts in this weather?? :ohmy: :cold:
was warm here as well. surprisingly so...

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I was on a mission today after Fridays wet bottom ride . I had been shown a small mudguard the clipped onto the seat to save the bottom getting soaked but not a lot else . Perfect for the road bike so that is what I was after . Its called an Ass saver .
After a few phone calls this morning I thought I had sourced one in Twickenham so off for a ride :thumbsup:
I get to the shop and they don't have one but the guy in the shop that told me to go down as they have them in stock had one in his bag that he uses his self . :banghead:
Anyway he gives me a little more ammo to work with and told me to look for mucky nutz . So armed with the terms "ass saver" and "mucky nutz" I started on my tour of bike shops to hunt one down :laugh:
Twickenham , Isleworth , Chiswick , Hammersmith and then I thought they would have what I wanted in Soho so into town it was . I decided that asking for those two items in Soho was not a good idea :eek: so looped around Hyde Park and headed home .

http://app.strava.com/activities/107487941

London is such a lovely city with its architecture and a Sunday tootle around without the crowds is a great way to see things that you miss when driving or working in the place .
Oh and I got an ass saver on ebay when I got home for £4.99 :thumbsup: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151195800753?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Another solo ride for me today.. looks like I am turning into billy no mates.. well no one who wanted to do a 100 miler anyway.
It was a slightly chilly morning at 7.30am when I left and the roads were very wet from the overnight rain. But the weather report was for good weather so decided to head of to Ashford again but this time with a little exploring for different routes.

A lovely sunrise over the Kent countryside. The cloud soon cleared for a while leaving some nice blue skies.
2014-01-19 08.18.37S.jpg

There's plenty of Mistletoe left in them there trees.
2014-01-19 09.01.31S.jpg

May be a good idea to shim up the tree, grab a handful and take them to this pub in Hawkenbury as they still seem to be celebrating Christmas.
2014-01-19 10.06.38S.jpg

With a nice tailwind, the 50 miles to Ashford seemed to fly by. But knew I would suffer on the return leg, and so it was to be. It was tough trying to keep up a good speed with the strong westerly constantly in ones face. The thighs are certainly feeling the burn.

So looking for new routes and new lanes to cycle, found this one.
2014-01-19 08.41.04S.jpg

Lewd Lane last week, Thong Lane this week.. ooo eeer missus.

The victoria folly Hadlow Tower
2014-01-19 13.51.42S.jpg

So another week and another century. The 3rd of the year.
190114.jpg

I'm mucky and the bike is mucky.. it may have been a nice day but the country lanes are still covered in muck. So much cleaning of both once I got home. Right.. need another bag of Haribo.

ScotiaLass

Guru
40km around the undulating countryside of Essex. A positively balmy 8 degree's out there too!!
http://app.strava.com/activities/107478014
I used to live in Hornchurch and my daughter went to Brentwood Ursuline :smile:
I didn't cycle back then!

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Been finding it especially hard to find the time to cycle since Xmas, but also to find the motivation after a long break off.
Weather was fine today so decided to go out for a few miles......ended up doing just over 20. Typical me, I ended up running out of fuel towards the end and hadn't drank enough before heading out. Was pleased with my efforts tho considering I haven't been out in so long. Climbed over 2000ft in the 20 miles and got a 2nd and a 4th overall on a couple of segments, which were very tough climbs.....
Also attacked a serious hill which I have dodged since I started riding.....Nearly done me in as it was at the start of my route.
Overall though I am pleased and it's given me the kick start I need for this season's training
Happy days !

colly

Re member eR
First ride out for a week or two owing to throat and chest bugs.
So it was a nice steady ride with the intention of just taking it nice and easy. Delivering a birthday card as it happens.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/2171301
http://app.strava.com/activities/107517641

I seem incapable of just plodding along. I ended up with a stack of personal bests on the way home.
After delivering the card and chatting for an hour I was in damp ( from rain on the way out) chilled clothes and I need to generate some heat to keep warm, so I was putting in a bit of effort but it didn't seem like that much.

30 miles. 1600ft of up. 15.7 mph

oiljam

Active...ish Member
50 miles today which was part of my 50/50 back to back in preparation for my up and coming LEJOG. Today was a better ride than yesterday which was a 50 mile soaking, quicker today aswell. Don't feel too bad from the 100 mile weekend total, just needed plenty of sudocrem ;). I've also managed to fit in a long hilly ride this week up Holme Moss which was 60 miles so I've racked up nearly 200 miles this week. Mussent grumble :wahhey:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It was :sun:out today and the threatened frosts failed to materialise so good conditions for getting in my first metric century of the year.

I didn't go for shorts unlike some, but wrapped up well (I admit it, I'm nesh). The route planned was out to Ellesmere by a more direct route than last week then joining the local NCN routes (31 and 45) to Prees, Marchamley, Shawbury and back home via either Shrewsbury or Condover depending on how the mileage stacked up.

Leaving Shrewsbury I caught up with a couple of other cyclists at the Shelton traffic lights, who completely ignored my friendly greeting.:sad: I therefore didn't feel too bad that I was able to pass them quite quickly and leave them trailing far behind.:tongue:

With light (following) winds it made for nice easy cruising up to Baschurch (once past a couple of small floods) and onwards to Ellesmere where a bite of lunch was called for by The Mere. (On the way a Land Rover passed leaving behind a smell suspiciously like it was running on central heating oil.:giggle:)

Setting off again I was onto the roads that weren't too good last time. The overnight deluges had cleared a lot of the debris and mud that was there last time so it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately it had left a lot of standing water including quite a few floods across the road (lost count of how many I rode through). Just after Lyneal I had the only motorist incident of the trip: apparently if you are in an X5 it is not necessary to slow and pause in a passing place for a cyclist.:dry:.

Prees brought the first hilly sections of the ride which slowed progress a little. This was about 35 miles into the ride and my legs weren't very keen on going from flat cruising to climbing, however I got over that hill and enjoyed the long shallow descent the other side. Marchamley was next with NCN 45 taking quite a lumpy route through this part of the world - I'm sure this is a nasty shock to anyone thinking they are riding through the flat part of the county.:blink: Still, could have been worse - the steepest section (complete with gradient arrow on the map) was a descent for me going this way round.

The lanes finally deposited me at Moreton Corbet, where I had a pause to look at the remains of the castle before heading on to Shawbury. I was starting to flag around this point and with the wind against me, just couldn't keep up the pace I'd been doing earlier. The stops became more frequent and I was down to a crawl on any hint of a climb. By the time I was skirting the edge of Haughmond Hill I was seriously wondering whether I'd make it home. However, stubbornness kicked in and I also realised that I could take a different route back to the one I'd planned, saving about 3 miles.

I wasn't quite as slow on the last few miles as I'd feared and got home 5 minutes before my earliest estimate of when I'd be back. Not too upset about that.;)

I got on better with the saddle this time. Still very firm, but much more manageable after the latest adjustments.

64.8 miles (or 104.25km) covered at an average of 12.9 mph. Chuffed with that speed, but just a teeny bit disappointed that I couldn't have just found that extra 0.1 mph on the average. Still, not bad on 18kg of knockabout bike.:thumbsup: (plus luggage).

DSC02406.JPG

A bit of a flood between Montford Bridge and Little Ness. The first of many on this ride after all the rain last night.

DSC02407.JPG

Looking across Baggy Moor to the Berwyns.

DSC02411.JPG

Lunch stop at The Mere.

DSC02414.JPG

There are some great place names around here.

DSC02415.JPG

Prees. I've driven past countless times but never been into the town itself. Quite a pleasant little place.

DSC02419.JPG

Moreton Corbet Castle.

DSC02422.JPG

10 miles to go and looking at The Wrekin from Haughmond Hill.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It was :sun:out today and the threatened frosts failed to materialise so good conditions for getting in my first metric century of the year.

I didn't go for shorts but wrapped up well (I admit it, I'm nesh). The route planned was out to Ellesmere by a more direct route than last week and then across to Prees, Marchamley, Shawbury, into Shrewsbury and back home all using the local NCN routes.

Leaving Shrewsbury I caught up with a couple of other cyclists at the Shelton traffic lights, who completely ignored my friendly greeting.:sad: I therefore didn't feel too bad that I was able to pass them quite quickly and leave them trailing far behind.:tongue:

With light (following) winds it made for nice easy cruising up to Baschurch (once past a couple of small floods) and onwards to Ellesmere where a bite of lunch was called for by The Mere. (On the way a Land Rover passed leaving behind a smell suspiciously like it was running on central heating oil.:giggle:)

Setting off again I was onto the roads that weren't too good last time. The overnight deluges had cleared a lot of the debris and mud that was there last time so it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately it had left a lot of standing water including quite a few floods across the road (lost count of how many I rode through). Just after Lyneal I had the only motorist incident of the trip: apparently if you are in an X5 it is not necessary to slow and pause in a passing place for a cyclist.:dry:.

Prees brought the first hilly sections of the ride which slowed progress a little. This was about 35 miles into the ride and my legs weren't very keen on going from flat cruising to climbing, however I got over that hill and enjoyed the long shallow descent the other side. Marchamley was next with NCN 45 taking quite a lumpy route through this part of the world - I'm sure this is a nasty shock to anyone thinking they are riding through the flat part of the county.:blink: Still, could have been worse - the steepest section was a descent for me going this way round.

The lanes finally deposited me at Moreton Corbet, where I had a pause to look at the remains of the castle before heading on to Shawbury. I was starting to flag around this point and with the wind against me, just couldn't keep up the pace I'd been doing earlier. The stops became more frequent and I was down to a crawl on any hint of a climb. By the time I was skirting the edge of Haughmond Hill I was seriously wondering whether I'd make it home. However, stubbornness kicked in and I realised that I could take a different route back to the one I'd planned, saving about 3 miles.

I wasn't quite as slow on the last few miles as I'd feared and got home 5 minutes before my earliest estimate of when I'd be back. Not too upset about that.;)

I got on better with the saddle this time. Still very firm, but much more manageable after the latest adjustments.

64.8 miles covered at an average of 12.9 mph. Chuffed with that speed, but just a teeny bit disappointed that I couldn't have just found that extra 0.1 mph on the average. Still, not bad on 18kg of knockabout bike.:thumbsup: (plus luggage).

View attachment 36605
A bit of a flood between Montford Bridge and Little Ness. The first of many on this ride.

View attachment 36606
Looking across Baggy Moor to the Berwyns.

View attachment 36607
Lunch stop at The Mere.

View attachment 36608
There are some great place names around here.

View attachment 36609
Prees. I've driven past countless times but never been into the town itself. Quite a pleasant little place.

View attachment 36610
Moreton Corbet Castle.

View attachment 36611
10 miles to go and looking at The Wrekin from Haughmond Hill.

Excellent as always phil. Always a pleasure to read about your ride and see your photo's. thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom