Your roving reporter mondobongo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
The Ferry Riverdance beached a couple of miles up the coast from me finished work at 6.30 this morning dashed home to pick up the missus and a decent camera and headed off to see it.

It was eerie seeing it in the half-light about 200 metres from the prom still being buffeted by the outgoing tide and as the light came you could clearly see it moving. Once the tide goes out fully its gonna be left on the sand and you will be able to walk around it from a distance. Quite a crowd down there when I was leaving but think that the area will be cordoned off a bit more during the day the Police were already getting some people to move cars.

Some photos here

Dave5N

Über Member
I'd phone a few picture desks - you might make a few bob.

OP
OP
mondobongo

mondobongo

Über Member
Thanks for the compliments people. Dave there was probably a dozen press photographers down there with some monster lenses so reckon most editors will have plenty.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well her name is spot on as she seems to have come in sideways and probably with a lot of clattering noise..

Impressed those lorries on deck are still there, at that angle!

Keith, apparently she was hit by a large (freak?) wave at sea, which shifted her load (lorries) and caused her to start listing, and after that I suspect she was fairly uncontrollable and got beached.

Great pics.

I hear the Captain was a Captain Smith. Wasn't the Titanic captained by a Smith? Perhaps not a good seafaring name, like the English throne has had bad luck with Johns....

yenrod

Keith Oates said:
Did she just run aground through bad navigation or was there an engine failure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, Keith - its called a bad storm - we do get them round this way you know :wacko: - unlike your typhoons etc...

Either that or youve been away too long to remember what the weathers like in this part of the planet :biggrin:

I believe the CG would have gone for the run aground option as its the easiest way to 'save' a ship weather depending obviously !

OP
OP
mondobongo

mondobongo

Über Member
Funny old world whilst we were there a photographer asked if I would stand looking out towards the ferry and then dashed off saying had to get his pictures uploaded. Just found my picture on the front page of the bbc website admittedly you cant see my face but those that know me recognise its me.

link

Top Bottom