Your starter for 10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Anyone watching Christmas University Challenge?

I reckon it's better than the regular programme for two reasons.

Firstly, I've usually heard of one or two of the team members.

More importantly, I can answer maybe five or six of the questions, against one or two for the regular programme.

What's your University Challenge score?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
If I know 3 starter questions I’m doing well.
But I’m never as fast as they are.
It’s amazing how a 20 year old has acquired so much information.
You wonder what areas of life they are deficient in. As they can’t be brilliant at everything.

If I know 3 starter questions I’m doing well.
But I’m never as fast as they are.
It’s amazing how a 20 year old has acquired so much information.
You wonder what areas of life they are deficient in. As they can’t be brilliant at everything.
Goes to show how young minds work - all wired and fast. I remember a time when I could tell the capital of nearly 90% of countries and Heads of Government. I will be lucky to keep track of West Europe let alone the rest of the World.

Biker man

More importantly, I can answer maybe five or six of the questions, against one or two for the regular programme.

Yes exactly

Biker man

I would watch it at my great grandmother’s around 1980. Everyone thought I was very clever because I could answer one or two questions. I’ve seen a couple of episodes in recent years and, well… it appears I reached my intellectual peak at 12 years old.
Use to love it when Bamber Gasgcoigne
use to do it , he's your starter for ten very rare I get a correct answer.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I'm watching but finding it sad because JP's obviously deteriorating and may not be able to do it much longer. A particular sadness because, whatever you thought of him*, he was the possessor of a sharp and acerbic mind. (Parkinson's, lest you didn't know :sad: )

*A fisherman, so obviously not all bad.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member

I’ve seen the first two (via vpn) and got three questions on each one right.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm watching but finding it sad because JP's obviously deteriorating and may not be able to do it much longer.

I thought exactly the same.

One of the talents required for the serious under graduate programme is to be able to pick up the pace which Paxo seem increasingly unable to do anymore.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
If and when JP hangs up his starters, who would be a good replacement I wonder?
It's hard to think of someone with sufficient intellectual breadth and depth, and with the character to host this iconic programme. IMHO it needs to be a polymath for whom knowledge, rather than self, is foremost.
Victoria Coren Mitchell maybe?

geocycle

Legendary Member
I get a few, was the reserve for my alma mater team 35 years ago! I went to the recording with Bamber. The old set made it look as if the teams were above one another so was shocked to see the side by side layout. We got thumped of course.

If and when JP hangs up his starters, who would be a good replacement I wonder?
It's hard to think of someone with sufficient intellectual breadth and depth, and with the character to host this iconic programme. IMHO it needs to be a polymath for whom knowledge, rather than self, is foremost.
Victoria Coren Mitchell maybe?
She already hosts the best quiz on TV so no need for her to downgrade.

UC doesn't need a big name to host it, and definitely not a "celebrity". It needs to stay fairly academic and dry, otherwise Bradley Walsh might take over.

Top Bottom