Your thoughts on green?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone-

Besides being a cyclist based in London, I'm also a MSc media researcher at the London School of Economics. I'm conducting a study on people who make so-called 'green' choices (like commuting by cycle) and how they receive and react to info on other environmental issues--particularly energy efficiency. I'm hoping you might be willing to help me out.

I've posted a brief web survey on the topic; it should take about 10 minutes to complete, is mostly multiple choice, and of course entirely anonymous. The link is here: http://www.questionpro.com/akira/TakeSurvey?id=988583

Thanks for considering this! Happy to answer any questions before or after the survey; feel free to send me an email directly at r.cunningham@lse.ac.uk.

Cheers, Ryan

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Personally, I don't cycle because it's green, I cycle because it's faster, better, more fun, and more convenient than the other options. Green is a nice benefit, but isn't a part of my decision.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Well, I do! Anyway, he was asking (very nicely) if you might do his survey not have an argument! ;) It is certainly not unreasonable to assume that cyclists in general might be greener than other groups of people.

It wasn't a major part of the reason that I started commuting by bike, but it is one of the reasons that I continue.

Questionnaire completed! ;)

betty swollocks

large member
Hi Ryan: I'm using Firefox on a Mac and your survey does not display well, to the extent that parts of some of the questions are lost.
Hope this makes sense.

Wolf04

I'm so green I even refuse to have a carbon frame so my carbon footprint doesn't go up :-). I've completed the survey but am with BentMikey on reasons for cycling.

simoncc

BentMikey said:
Personally, I don't cycle because it's green, I cycle because it's faster, better, more fun, and more convenient than the other options. Green is a nice benefit, but isn't a part of my decision.

Me too.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Third BM's opinion - it's faster than any other form of transport for me, and I can use it for training - so no sneaking out in the evening to get fit.... and commuting on a MTB every day makes using the road bikes a joy at weekends.......... = more free time for family stuff !

I don't do it for economics or being green.......just reduces my NHS 'footprint'....long term....

hackbike 6

simoncc said:

...also here.Never owned a car.

asterix

Comrade Member
I don't know about being 'green' but I have been reading a bit about what life was like for people who didn't have a lot of fuel, be it coal or oil. It's staggering what a difference the availability of cheap convenient energy has made to our lives.

It's also scary how we now take it for granted and are happy to waste it..

Smeggers

Personally the "green angle" puts me off the image of cycling and cyclists, but i still do it anyway because a) i dont care and ;) its fun.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
As most have said, I cycle because it's fun and convenient, not because it's green. The survey findings would be hugely biased if you assumed that cyclists are 'greener' than average.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I cycle because I like being able to ride/drive/pilot every form of transport and I am able to choose which is the most suitable for my needs at the time. Cycling is also cheap, easy and available as well as fun.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I am concerned about the environment, but that is a side benefit. I started commuting by bike for the fun and relaxation. I wish I didn't have to own an automobile.

I don't think his survey will necessarily be weighted by posting it on a cycling page. I expect that he has also posted it on many other websites, since he states that he is a media researcher. I presume that he is following accepted survey guidelines.

Top Bottom