Your thoughts on green?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Notsoblue

Several reasons why I cycle really; I commute by bike because its the fastest way to get around in London. Its fun, good exercise and means I don't have to be squashed in with a load of smelly commuters on the tube for 45 mins a day! I'd say it saved money but I've actually just spent an obscene amount of money on my bike recently. I reckon it balances out with the amount I save on Oyster.

I like the fact that its a "Green" form of transport. But I wouldn't say its a strong motivation because the alternative for me would be public transport anyway.

biking_fox

Guru
Wolf04 "I even refuse to have a carbon frame so my carbon footprint doesn't go up "

you are of course wrong about this - owning a C frame traps the carbon so that it can't be released into the atmosphere. It's a carbon sink like a growing tree. We should all be riding C frames in order to trap that bit more carbon. Just lieka tree the question is what happens to the C at the end of the frame's life.

I found the survey questions to be oddly worded with no response fitting appropriately. I suppose that part of my reasons for cycling are that it's "green", but mostly its for other reasons - fun faster healthier cheaper and because I don't own a car, my only means of getting to places not on the bus routes.

Wolf04

biking_fox said:
you are of course wrong about this - owning a C frame traps the carbon so that it can't be released into the atmosphere. It's a carbon sink like a growing tree. We should all be riding C frames in order to trap that bit more carbon. Just lieka tree the question is what happens to the C at the end of the frame's life.
:angry:
Oh well I'll just have to stick to my original reason of being a fat lump then :rolleyes:

jely

i cycle cause i love the wind in my hair, the sun on my face, the feeling of being free... :biggrin:;):biggrin:.

seriously, i do it cause it's heck of a lot quicker than public transport, keeps me fit and healthy and yes, i do feel extra good cycling cause i know i'm doing my bit for the environment... but the main thing is, i absolutely love being able to weave through traffic jams, leaving all the suckers in their cars in my wake - yeah, that's one hell of a satisfying feeling! :angry::tongue:

(oh, and i think i look super cool on my bike!:rolleyes:)

I used the car yesterday for the first time in 10 days, it feels really high after riding the trike everywhere, if it wasn't for the long distance deliveries I would probably do without. I am certainly going to have re-evaluate the type of car I need when I next change it.

justAl

I cycle because I enjoy it. But I am also environmentally aware so I recycle stuff from home as much as possible. However, it really gets up my nose when I'm told I can help save the planet by buying "a bag for life".
HOW?
let's face it, the earth is knackered or atleast the people on it are.

sorry. I' ll move over to soap box!!

byegad

Legendary Member
Catrike UK said:
I used the car yesterday for the first time in 10 days, it feels really high after riding the trike everywhere, if it wasn't for the long distance deliveries I would probably do without. I am certainly going to have re-evaluate the type of car I need when I next change it.

Similar experience here. My car can stand for a week, a fortnight or occaisionally up to a month between use. My MOT certificate tells me did 4000 miles between last May and May this year, that included attending a couple of BHPC weekends and visiting my mother who lives 120 miles from me. I had a bad cycling year due to illness and only managed 5000!

I won't be buying another car, when this one dies that's it.

domtyler

Über Member
I am passionate about cycling, I love the freedom it gives, much more so than sitting in a car where you can easily become trapped in long queues. It is a fantastic form of exercise and really keeps the weight in check, very necessary for all of us the wrong side of thirty. It most definitely saves me lots of money, around £1,500 per year minus the odd bit of cycling clothing or maintenance to the bikes.

Like others though I find being automatically given the beardy weirdy, hippy, tree hugger, ecomentalist, muesli crunching, lentil knitting, make your own yoghurt out of recycled baked bean tins label more of a cross to bear than a benefit. Although that said it can come in handy when chatting up young students! :becool:

iacula

I must be something of a "dark green" by comparison with most, other than walking, cycling for me is the only guilt free way of getting around. I'm now commuting 20 miles a day so that I know I can sell the car next spring. That said a train does the rest of distance from home to work.

I love cycling though it keeps me fit and happy.

No doubt my avatar makes me out as a pinko, new age weirdo anyway

Wolf04

domtyler said:
muesli crunchingQUOTE]
Oi, nothing wrong with muesli, it's almost as good as porridge! Especially if you remember to add the milk the night before, it becomes a delicious way to start the day and gives you a good combination of simple and complex carbs. Saying that though if you forget to add the milk the night before it is a bit like eating sawdust. ;)

HelenD123

Guru
Looks like I'm more unusual in that being green is definitely one of the reasons I cycle. It's also an easy way of getting some exercise, and I enjoy it!

Night Train

Maker of Things
I do have environmental concerns and it is one of the reasons I started cycling again. It is also one of the reasons my annual car mileage has dropped below 19,000 miles this last year and my fuel economy has risen to better then 72mpg. I also seek out old, preused bikes to reduce the impact of buying a new one and reuse old parts where possible.

bonj2

second question: not sure what the value is of asking whether I have an opinion, without asking what that opinion is.

Is there anybody that cycles simply because it's greener? A lot of people like to feel virtuous because they know it is slightly 'greener', but I dont' think it's the sole reason anyone actually takes up cycling.

bonj said:
second question: not sure what the value is of asking whether I have an opinion, without asking what that opinion is.

Is there anybody that cycles simply because it's greener? A lot of people like to feel virtuous because they know it is slightly 'greener', but I dont' think it's the sole reason anyone actually takes up cycling.

I cycle because I enjoy it, I'd be lying if I said there was a more important reason than that for me, while I like the idea I am helping the environment it is just an aside.

Top Bottom